• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, and no

Comment

Originally posted by iSpam View Post
      Yes, and no
      Try removing the plugin from the engine via Launcher. It looks like your project is using the engine version of the plugin, ignoring the one in your project.
      Last edited by CodeSpartan; 08-12-2018, 11:28 PM.
      MMO Starter Kit
      Dialogue Plugin
      Voxel Plugin
      Character Customization: Female
      Character Custmization: Male

Comment

Originally posted by CodeSpartan View Post

Try removing the plugin from the engine via Launcher. It looks like your project is using the engine version of the plugin, ignoring the one in your project.
        Yeah, I had tried that right after seeing your reply but the project went haywire, so wasn't sure I should have. After seeing you suggesting to though I went back through and found it went crazy because the only file in the project plugin folder was the dialogue.h class, everything else was empty.
        Reinstalled in and what you had previously posted works perfect.

Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Could someone please help me out here? I can't get anything, even the base demo of the dialogue system, to work. The documentation is very sparse and vague about some things, so I have no clue how to set anything up. I can make and understand the dialogue trees just fine, but for the life of me can't get any of the plugin to function in-game. I've tried creating my own widgets using the guide, but there's no "To NPC Reply" node available to me, and no explanation on how to make one. Basically, I feel like I just wasted a lot of money on something that looks awesome, but is essentially unusable. If there's any way I could get some actual pointers or could request a refund, that would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by infinitipo View Post
            Could someone please help me out here? I can't get anything, even the base demo of the dialogue system, to work. The documentation is very sparse and vague about some things, so I have no clue how to set anything up. I can make and understand the dialogue trees just fine, but for the life of me can't get any of the plugin to function in-game. I've tried creating my own widgets using the guide, but there's no "To NPC Reply" node available to me, and no explanation on how to make one. Basically, I feel like I just wasted a lot of money on something that looks awesome, but is essentially unusable. If there's any way I could get some actual pointers or could request a refund, that would be much appreciated.

Cheers
            Hi,

Have you watched the first tutorial video? It goes over how to create and open a dialogue in game.
            The project that you see in the video can also be downloaded and inspected, the links are on the marketplace page.

But to give one of the simplest examples of how you can open a dialogue in game is like this:

This will open a dialogue when you press the K button on your keyboard.
            You can put these blueprints in your Character or in your Controller, it's up to you.

To do this, you only have to install the plugin through the Epic Launcher and make sure it's activated in your project, no other actions are necessary, no need to even read the documentation, because it goes over concepts that are slightly more complicated.

Let me know if you need explanations on how to open your Character or Controller.
            Last edited by CodeSpartan; 08-20-2018, 08:28 PM.
            MMO Starter Kit
            Dialogue Plugin
            Voxel Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by infinitipo View Post

Cheers
              The plugin works perfectly fine and has been a huge for my game, please don't bash CodeSpartan and his team, if you're new to development just ask for help.

Comment

Hey maybe this has been asked already but is there a way to make the text appear with a typewriter effect?

Comment

Originally posted by Vincion View Post
                  Hey maybe this has been asked already but is there a way to make the text appear with a typewriter effect?
                  If you can make a typewriter effect in an empty project in UMG, then you can put it in here, too. But the plugin doesn't provide any effects.
                  MMO Starter Kit
                  Dialogue Plugin
                  Voxel Plugin

Comment

Since you're familiar with the innerworkings of the plugin, I figured I'd ask this here.
                    How would you go about making variables on the nodes that can be changed at run time, ie: a bool that switches to false once the node has been presented.
                    Essentially I'm trying to check that bool in UDialogueUserWidget::IsConditionMet_Implementation and change it in UDialogueUserWidget::RunEventsFor_Implementation

I've tried passing the FDialogueNode struct by ref using UPARAM(ref) FDialogueNode&, but I get different memory addresses every time.
                    I suppose I just need a fresh outsider's perspective

Comment

Hi! I just bought you plugin CodeSpartan, looks great!

I've run into a wall trying to get it to work with 3DWidgets and a gamepad.

My Issues so far:

1. Unrelated to 3DWidgets - When I press a button, it always returns the first answer. I followed you setup in the documentation but I'm obviously missing something?

2. Related to 3DWidgets - The Dialogue System works fine as a normal widget (except the first answer issue) but my 3DWidget is not updating when i press Continue. Do 3DWidgets not update at runtime?

I've attached some screenshots of the setup.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Since you're familiar with the innerworkings of the plugin, I figured I'd ask this here.
                        How would you go about making variables on the nodes that can be changed at run time, ie: a bool that switches to false once the node has been presented.
                        Essentially I'm trying to check that bool in UDialogueUserWidget::IsConditionMet_Implementation and change it in UDialogueUserWidget::RunEventsFor_Implementation

I've tried passing the FDialogueNode struct by ref using UPARAM(ref) FDialogueNode&, but I get different memory addresses every time.
                        I suppose I just need a fresh outsider's perspective
                        If I understand you correctly, you want to have a bool on the node (in the data asset) and be able to change it at runtime? If that's the case, I may venture a guess that something is wrong with your architecture and you should do it differently.

Are you trying to mark visited nodes as dirty? Because that's not how you should do it.
                        MMO Starter Kit
                        Dialogue Plugin
                        Voxel Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by Sebviz View Post
                          Hi! I just bought you plugin CodeSpartan, looks great!

I've run into a wall trying to get it to work with 3DWidgets and a gamepad.

My Issues so far:

1. Unrelated to 3DWidgets - When I press a button, it always returns the first answer. I followed you setup in the documentation but I'm obviously missing something?

2. Related to 3DWidgets - The Dialogue System works fine as a normal widget (except the first answer issue) but my 3DWidget is not updating when i press Continue. Do 3DWidgets not update at runtime?

I've attached some screenshots of the setup.
                          Hey. Please upload your project to google drive and send me a link by email (you can see it on my seller's profile on the marketplace). I don't recognize the "get key" node that you have. You should have this: https://api.unrealengine.com/INT/Blu...Key/index.html
                          MMO Starter Kit
                          Dialogue Plugin
                          Voxel Plugin

Comment

If I understand you correctly, you want to have a bool on the node (in the data asset) and be able to change it at runtime? If that's the case, I may venture a guess that something is wrong with your architecture and you should do it differently.

Are you trying to mark visited nodes as dirty? Because that's not how you should do it.
                            I have two bools, one visible for me to check whether I want this to be said once, and another that is set to true in the RunEventsFor, that way the next time the IsConditionsMet is run, the function will return false.

Code:
                            bool UDialogueUserWidget::IsConditionsMetForNode_Implementation(FDialogueNode Node)
                            {
                                UE_LOG(LogTemp, Warning, TEXT("No repeat for node at %d is %s"), &Node, Node.noRepeat ? TEXT("True") : TEXT("False"));
                                if (Node.noRepeat)
                                {
                                    UE_LOG(LogTemp, Warning, TEXT("No repeat is true, returning false in UDialogueUserWidget::IsConditionsMet"));
                                    return false;
                                }

for (UDialogueConditions* Condition : Node.Conditions)
                                {
                                    if (IsValid(Condition))
                                    {        
                                        if (!Condition->IsConditionMet(GetOwningPlayer(), NPCActor))
                                        {
                                            return false;
                                        }
                                    }
                                }
                                return true;
                            }

void UDialogueUserWidget::RunEventsForNode_Implementation(FDialogueNode Node)
                            {
                                if (Node.sayOnce)
                                {

UE_LOG(LogTemp, Warning, TEXT("sayOnce true in UDialogueUserWidget::RunEventsForNode"));
                                    Node.noRepeat = true;
                                }

for (UDialogueEvents* Event : Node.Events)
                                {
                                    if (IsValid(Event))
                                    {
                                        Event->RecieveEventTriggered(GetOwningPlayer(), NPCActor);
                                    }
                                }
                            }
                            The line if statement in RunEventsFor is working as intended, but because the nodes are being passed in by value, the change isn't being propagated to the actual data asset.
                            I have tried, for these two functions only, passing the node in by ref, but I'm still getting different nodes. I can't make the node a pointer parameter since FDialogueNode is a struct.
                            void UDialogueUserWidget::RunEventsForNode_Implementation(UPARAM(ref) FDialogueNode& Node) is how I attempted to pass by reference, which I found from Rama

I'm just wondering if you could think of a workaround that won't break the rest of your code.

Comment

I have two bools, one visible for me to check whether I want this to be said once, and another that is set to true in the RunEventsFor, that way the next time the IsConditionsMet is run, the function will return false.

Code:
                              bool UDialogueUserWidget::IsConditionsMetForNode_Implementation(FDialogueNode Node)
                              {
                              UE_LOG(LogTemp, Warning, TEXT("No repeat for node at %d is %s"), &Node, Node.noRepeat ? TEXT("True") : TEXT("False"));
                              if (Node.noRepeat)
                              {
                              UE_LOG(LogTemp, Warning, TEXT("No repeat is true, returning false in UDialogueUserWidget::IsConditionsMet"));
                              return false;
                              }

for (UDialogueConditions* Condition : Node.Conditions)
                              {
                              if (IsValid(Condition))
                              {
                              if (!Condition->IsConditionMet(GetOwningPlayer(), NPCActor))
                              {
                              return false;
                              }
                              }
                              }
                              return true;
                              }

void UDialogueUserWidget::RunEventsForNode_Implementation(FDialogueNode Node)
                              {
                              if (Node.sayOnce)
                              {

UE_LOG(LogTemp, Warning, TEXT("sayOnce true in UDialogueUserWidget::RunEventsForNode"));
                              Node.noRepeat = true;
                              }

for (UDialogueEvents* Event : Node.Events)
                              {
                              if (IsValid(Event))
                              {
                              Event->RecieveEventTriggered(GetOwningPlayer(), NPCActor);
                              }
                              }
                              }
                              The line if statement in RunEventsFor is working as intended, but because the nodes are being passed in by value, the change isn't being propagated to the actual data asset.
                              I have tried, for these two functions only, passing the node in by ref, but I'm still getting different nodes. I can't make the node a pointer parameter since FDialogueNode is a struct.
                              void UDialogueUserWidget::RunEventsForNode_Implementation(UPARAM(ref) FDialogueNode& Node) is how I attempted to pass by reference, which I found from Rama

I'm just wondering if you could think of a workaround that won't break the rest of your code.
                              I see.

Data assets are your game files. The only reason you can modify them at runtime in the editor is because the editor makes no distinction between whether you're doing it through a Bluetility or in PIE. But you won't be able to modify data assets on runtime in a cooked build. This is because they're your game files. It's like irrevocably modifying a mesh of a dinosaur into a bird because you've reached a certain checkpoint in game. But what happens if you load a prior savegame or you've started a new game? Your file will effectively be corrupt, because you'll see a bird. That's why it's not possible.

Like I said, if you want to mark your nodes as read, you need to make an array of ints and add their indexes. This way you know you've visited the nodes.
                              Last edited by CodeSpartan; 09-25-2018, 01:21 PM.
                              MMO Starter Kit
                              Dialogue Plugin
                              Voxel Plugin

Comment

I see.

Data assets are your game files. The only reason you can modify them at runtime in the editor is because the editor makes no distinction between whether you're doing it through a Bluetility or in PIE. But you won't be able to modify data assets on runtime in a cooked build. This is because they're your game files. It's like irrevocably modifying a mesh of a dinosaur into a bird because you've reached a certain checkpoint in game. But what happens if you load a prior savegame or you've started a new game? Your file will effectively be corrupt, because you'll see a bird. That's why it's not possible.

Like I said, if you want to mark your nodes as read, you need to make an array of ints and add their indexes. This way you know you've visited the nodes.
                                Ah, I was unaware of that. Thank you, I'll definitely keep that workaround in mind

Comment

Working...
                                X