Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Dryfter View Post
    Quick question: Is there a possibility for an example project to be posted for others (including myself) to use to learn from? Even one as simple the one in the Youtube video posted would be enough. I checked in the post but I could easily have missed it. I've followed the documentation and videos and had no problems creating a c++ project, duplicating the blueprints, even modifying Dialogue.h file to add things like conditions went fine but I simply cannot reproduce the blacksmith example or anything close to it and nothing past the opening "I'm blacksmith Calvin" will appear and no choices are available.

Using 4.16 of the engine and I'm too far in on this project to upgrade to a newer version.

Anything would be helpful and would save me a bit of frustration, really would like to add this because the data asset interface would make it so much easier to lay out the different dialogue choices. Put off this part of the idea for too long and trying to build my own dialogue system via CSV was giving me nightmares. Thanks for your time.
    Hi. We're actually planning on implementing a new conditions/events system that will be blueprints-only and won't require to tinker with Dialogue.h. It should be easier after that. A new video explanation for the new system will be made as well.

In the meantime, if you show me your setup with screenshots for a condition or an event that you're having problems with, we can find what's causing it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Quick question: Is there a possibility for an example project to be posted for others (including myself) to use to learn from? Even one as simple the one in the Youtube video posted would be enough. I checked in the post but I could easily have missed it. I've followed the documentation and videos and had no problems creating a c++ project, duplicating the blueprints, even modifying Dialogue.h file to add things like conditions went fine but I simply cannot reproduce the blacksmith example or anything close to it and nothing past the opening "I'm blacksmith Calvin" will appear and no choices are available.

Using 4.16 of the engine and I'm too far in on this project to upgrade to a newer version.

Anything would be helpful and would save me a bit of frustration, really would like to add this because the data asset interface would make it so much easier to lay out the different dialogue choices. Put off this part of the idea for too long and trying to build my own dialogue system via CSV was giving me nightmares. Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by Dryfter; 12-05-2017, 10:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    4.18 version is released. No changes in the code were required.

Originally posted by iSpam View Post
    So I'm not much of a programmer, I only know what I've had to figure out. Bearing this in mind, I'm trying to figure out how I can use static or global booleans in the dialogues. I currently have a tmap that was static but instead will be blueprint initialized in my custom gamemode class. Currently, my only two ideas are that I could create new boolean with the same key as one of those in the tmap in each dialogue, run a function in the widget that will compare the dialogue boolean to all in the tmap, and if there is a match assign the value of the dialogues bool to the tmap bool; or I could recreate the gamemode tmap in each dialogue and just do a for loop assigning the value of the dialogue key to the value of the gamemode key.
    I'm sure there is an easier way though, and my ignorance of programming is just hindering, so please, show me the light!
    Really dig the whole plugin though, especially since you provide source code for modifying. I look forward to creating random npc - npc conversations with it
    Sure, copying the bools is sometimes the way to go. Or an array of enums. Depends on your task.
    Last edited by CodeSpartan; 10-26-2017, 04:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    So I'm not much of a programmer, I only know what I've had to figure out. Bearing this in mind, I'm trying to figure out how I can use static or global booleans in the dialogues. I currently have a tmap that was static but instead will be blueprint initialized in my custom gamemode class. Currently, my only two ideas are that I could create new boolean with the same key as one of those in the tmap in each dialogue, run a function in the widget that will compare the dialogue boolean to all in the tmap, and if there is a match assign the value of the dialogues bool to the tmap bool; or I could recreate the gamemode tmap in each dialogue and just do a for loop assigning the value of the dialogue key to the value of the gamemode key.
    I'm sure there is an easier way though, and my ignorance of programming is just hindering, so please, show me the light!
    Really dig the whole plugin though, especially since you provide source code for modifying. I look forward to creating random npc - npc conversations with it

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Althaen View Post
    How do you add this to a source built version of the engine?
    Put it into Engine/Plugins/Marketplace/DialoguePlugin, launch GenerateProjectFiles.bat and rebuild.
    Or you can just add it directly into your project.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    How do you add this to a source built version of the engine?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    No, but you can zoom out super far.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey I just recently bought this plugin and it is working great so far. Is there anyway to collapse make sub trees in case the trees start getting long?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by supermoore1025 View Post
    Do you have any tutorial to set up where NPC talks to you?
    Sure, check out the first video tutorial, it explains the basics like starting a dialogue.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Do you have any tutorial to set up where NPC talks to you?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    4.17 is now live.

Originally posted by supermoore1025 View Post
    Is it possible to add nodes through blueprint and c++ programatically?
    Sure, but this isn't exposed. You can see how new nodes are added in SDialogueViewportWidget::OnAddNodeClicked()

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Is it possible to add nodes through blueprint and c++ programatically?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by travisc View Post
    Hello, I need help with this. I find that this plugin isn't very newbie friendly, and I already run into problems. Or maybe it's the tutorial video you have that lacks information. (Really needs an explain it like I'm five version.) Currently when I click "goodbye", the mouse cursor is still there and I'm still in UI mode. I'm assuming that I have to alter something within the "BasicDialogueWidget" BP, (like perhaps adding a "set input mode Game only" node?). But since that BasicDialogueWidget is nowhere to be found in my project folder, I tried to duplicate one from the UE4 installation plugins folder, into my project folder. However that doesn't work, so I assume I must use the one saved in the UE4 installation plugin folder. But then when I tried to import from the plugins folder, it just plain won't let me. So now I'm extremely stuck and hella confused.
    How do I proceed?

Also, I wish your tutorial vid showed me how to get the mouse cursor to show up and click on the dialogue options in the first place, though I figured out that part just now.

(I am on 4.16)
    Hey. Sorry for a long delay, I was away from PC for a week. Please follow the documentation guide on how to duplicate the original widgets from the plugin folder into your project (part "3: customizing the widget"). Then you can modify them, and as you've correctly assumed, it is there that you must change your input mode on dialogue exit, depending on the needs of your game.

It's true that the dialogue plugin doesn't provide all possible scenarios for all possible game genres. It takes the difficult part off your shoulders, by which I mean it provides you with a visual dialogue editor, which is a game agnostic thing. The rest depends on your game, so I leave it up to you. You've figured out most of it already, but if you have any questions, shoot and I'll try to answer.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hello, I need help with this. I find that this plugin isn't very newbie friendly, and I already run into problems. Or maybe it's the tutorial video you have that lacks information. (Really needs an explain it like I'm five version.) Currently when I click "goodbye", the mouse cursor is still there and I'm still in UI mode. I'm assuming that I have to alter something within the "BasicDialogueWidget" BP, (like perhaps adding a "set input mode Game only" node?). But since that BasicDialogueWidget is nowhere to be found in my project folder, I tried to duplicate one from the UE4 installation plugins folder, into my project folder. However that doesn't work, so I assume I must use the one saved in the UE4 installation plugin folder. But then when I tried to import from the plugins folder, it just plain won't let me. So now I'm extremely stuck and hella confused.
    How do I proceed?

Also, I wish your tutorial vid showed me how to get the mouse cursor to show up and click on the dialogue options in the first place, though I figured out that part just now.

(I am on 4.16)
    Last edited by travisc; 08-12-2017, 03:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Sent a 4.17 version to the marketplace, should be up soon (usually takes less than a week).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X