Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dialogue Plugin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    How do you add this to a source built version of the engine?

    Comment


      Originally posted by Althaen View Post
      How do you add this to a source built version of the engine?
      Put it into Engine/Plugins/Marketplace/DialoguePlugin, launch GenerateProjectFiles.bat and rebuild.
      Or you can just add it directly into your project.
      MMO Starter Kit
      Dialogue Plugin
      Voxel Plugin
      Character Customization: Female
      Character Custmization: Male

      Comment


        So I'm not much of a programmer, I only know what I've had to figure out. Bearing this in mind, I'm trying to figure out how I can use static or global booleans in the dialogues. I currently have a tmap that was static but instead will be blueprint initialized in my custom gamemode class. Currently, my only two ideas are that I could create new boolean with the same key as one of those in the tmap in each dialogue, run a function in the widget that will compare the dialogue boolean to all in the tmap, and if there is a match assign the value of the dialogues bool to the tmap bool; or I could recreate the gamemode tmap in each dialogue and just do a for loop assigning the value of the dialogue key to the value of the gamemode key.
        I'm sure there is an easier way though, and my ignorance of programming is just hindering, so please, show me the light!
        Really dig the whole plugin though, especially since you provide source code for modifying. I look forward to creating random npc - npc conversations with it

        Comment


          4.18 version is released. No changes in the code were required.

          Originally posted by iSpam View Post
          So I'm not much of a programmer, I only know what I've had to figure out. Bearing this in mind, I'm trying to figure out how I can use static or global booleans in the dialogues. I currently have a tmap that was static but instead will be blueprint initialized in my custom gamemode class. Currently, my only two ideas are that I could create new boolean with the same key as one of those in the tmap in each dialogue, run a function in the widget that will compare the dialogue boolean to all in the tmap, and if there is a match assign the value of the dialogues bool to the tmap bool; or I could recreate the gamemode tmap in each dialogue and just do a for loop assigning the value of the dialogue key to the value of the gamemode key.
          I'm sure there is an easier way though, and my ignorance of programming is just hindering, so please, show me the light!
          Really dig the whole plugin though, especially since you provide source code for modifying. I look forward to creating random npc - npc conversations with it
          Sure, copying the bools is sometimes the way to go. Or an array of enums. Depends on your task.
          Last edited by CodeSpartan; 10-26-2017, 04:35 PM.
          MMO Starter Kit
          Dialogue Plugin
          Voxel Plugin
          Character Customization: Female
          Character Custmization: Male

          Comment


            Quick question: Is there a possibility for an example project to be posted for others (including myself) to use to learn from? Even one as simple the one in the Youtube video posted would be enough. I checked in the post but I could easily have missed it. I've followed the documentation and videos and had no problems creating a c++ project, duplicating the blueprints, even modifying Dialogue.h file to add things like conditions went fine but I simply cannot reproduce the blacksmith example or anything close to it and nothing past the opening "I'm blacksmith Calvin" will appear and no choices are available.

            Using 4.16 of the engine and I'm too far in on this project to upgrade to a newer version.

            Anything would be helpful and would save me a bit of frustration, really would like to add this because the data asset interface would make it so much easier to lay out the different dialogue choices. Put off this part of the idea for too long and trying to build my own dialogue system via CSV was giving me nightmares. Thanks for your time.
            Last edited by Dryfter; 12-05-2017, 10:53 PM.

            Comment


              Originally posted by Dryfter View Post
              Quick question: Is there a possibility for an example project to be posted for others (including myself) to use to learn from? Even one as simple the one in the Youtube video posted would be enough. I checked in the post but I could easily have missed it. I've followed the documentation and videos and had no problems creating a c++ project, duplicating the blueprints, even modifying Dialogue.h file to add things like conditions went fine but I simply cannot reproduce the blacksmith example or anything close to it and nothing past the opening "I'm blacksmith Calvin" will appear and no choices are available.

              Using 4.16 of the engine and I'm too far in on this project to upgrade to a newer version.

              Anything would be helpful and would save me a bit of frustration, really would like to add this because the data asset interface would make it so much easier to lay out the different dialogue choices. Put off this part of the idea for too long and trying to build my own dialogue system via CSV was giving me nightmares. Thanks for your time.
              Hi. We're actually planning on implementing a new conditions/events system that will be blueprints-only and won't require to tinker with Dialogue.h. It should be easier after that. A new video explanation for the new system will be made as well.

              In the meantime, if you show me your setup with screenshots for a condition or an event that you're having problems with, we can find what's causing it.
              MMO Starter Kit
              Dialogue Plugin
              Voxel Plugin
              Character Customization: Female
              Character Custmization: Male

              Comment


                Hey,

                I updated to UE4.18 downloaded the 4.18 version of the plugin and added my FName tag like I always do when I update the engine. But for some reason its not showing up in engine. Is there anything new I need to know for 4.18? There are no compile errors I even did a rebuild and I restarted the engine.

                edit: I did read that you didn't change any code form 4.17 to 4.18 so I just used 4.17 and it worked, strange.
                Last edited by Rathren; 12-10-2017, 03:38 PM.

                Comment


                  Oh boy. Well I'm not too good at explaining things but here goes...

                  What I have in mind is a simple (I thought) UMG based CYOA (Choose You Own Adventure) which would be almost completely text based but for some 2D icons and two small progress bars. These have all been added to a customized Dialogue Widget (which was actually quite easy using your instructions). There is a Startup Menu widget and when New or Continue (if there is a save) is selected then this menu widget opens my custom Game Dialogue Widget and removes itself. The problem then is that the first NPC window displays but none of the 4 "Choice" option buttons ever appear and all progress stops there.

                  There is one Actor (the Game Control) that I placed in the blank map I am using for this project. There is also a "player" actor but it's creation and use is handled by Game Control. It's mostly used for data handling related to various stats and a scoring system. Any Player Controller that would be used to attach UMG too would be the default one unless I'm missing something there.

                  Also this is being built as an Android project, if that matters. I thought that maybe since your initial example used a 3rd person perspective with character models that this would be the problem but since you only created a Dialogue Widget and added it to the viewport that probably wouldn't matter. Maybe I was wrong?

                  Also I'm not too sure what images would help so I'm posting the Data Asset as I have it now and an example of my own Dialogue Widget layout and I also have a short example video from my phone posted at https://youtu.be/1QuwsUyebz4

                  Did try connecting the Dialogue widget to the Player Controller at one time as well, but that had no effect. Likely I'm missing something simple so any help would be appreciated.

                  Thanks for your time.
                  Last edited by Dryfter; 12-13-2017, 05:05 PM. Reason: added extra things I have tried...

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Dryfter View Post
                    Oh boy. Well I'm not too good at explaining things but here goes...

                    What I have in mind is a simple (I thought) UMG based CYOA (Choose You Own Adventure) which would be almost completely text based but for some 2D icons and two small progress bars. These have all been added to a customized Dialogue Widget (which was actually quite easy using your instructions). There is a Startup Menu widget and when New or Continue (if there is a save) is selected then this menu widget opens my custom Game Dialogue Widget and removes itself. The problem then is that the first NPC window displays but none of the 4 "Choice" option buttons ever appear and all progress stops there.

                    There is one Actor (the Game Control) that I placed in the blank map I am using for this project. There is also a "player" actor but it's creation and use is handled by Game Control. It's mostly used for data handling related to various stats and a scoring system. Any Player Controller that would be used to attach UMG too would be the default one unless I'm missing something there.

                    Also this is being built as an Android project, if that matters. I thought that maybe since your initial example used a 3rd person perspective with character models that this would be the problem but since you only created a Dialogue Widget and added it to the viewport that probably wouldn't matter. Maybe I was wrong?

                    Also I'm not too sure what images would help so I'm posting the Data Asset as I have it now and an example of my own Dialogue Widget layout and I also have a short example video from my phone posted at https://youtu.be/1QuwsUyebz4

                    Did try connecting the Dialogue widget to the Player Controller at one time as well, but that had no effect. Likely I'm missing something simple so any help would be appreciated.

                    Thanks for your time.
                    Hi. My guess is that something isn't set up right in the UMG.

                    Any chance you could recreate a sample project with the same configuration to exhibit this behavior and send a link to codespartan.supp@gmail.com? That will make it easier for me to find the exact cause of the issue.
                    MMO Starter Kit
                    Dialogue Plugin
                    Voxel Plugin
                    Character Customization: Female
                    Character Custmization: Male

                    Comment


                      I can do that. I'll try to post it asap.

                      okay, sent you one from russelleray100@gmail.com
                      Last edited by Dryfter; 12-15-2017, 06:27 PM.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Dryfter View Post
                        I can do that. I'll try to post it asap.

                        okay, sent you one from russelleray100@gmail.com
                        Hi. I was able to experience the issue and it seems that when you changed DemoReplyWidget to GameReplyWidget in the GameDialogueWidget, you forgot to relink the ReplyNode variable. This link between Array Element and Reply Node as shown on the screenshot was not present in your project.



                        Cheers,
                        CS
                        MMO Starter Kit
                        Dialogue Plugin
                        Voxel Plugin
                        Character Customization: Female
                        Character Custmization: Male

                        Comment


                          Is it possible I missed something else as well? I'm asking this because I fixed the missing connection but a problem still remains:

                          I found out that the "Continue" button will only show if the next NPC bubble actually has text of some kind in it. If it is truly empty the "Continue" will not appear. I got around that by just tapping the space key a few times and using empty spaces as filler. This did get the Continue button to show. However...

                          Once I hit that button and it went to the next NPC bubble - the "empty" one with Options 1-4 attached to it - none of those options appeared. Seems odd to me and I'm thinking I must have missed something else.

                          I'll keep trying things and add anything I find. I think I'll also go back through your manual and check over all of the connections in my custom widgets seeing as how I missed the first one I may have do so again somewhere else.
                          Last edited by Dryfter; 12-19-2017, 11:28 PM.

                          Comment


                            Hi I've followed all steps of your tutorial to get work this plugin on VR. I've might missing something because when I pressed the action button appears a cube and then dialogue but when I choose one answer then appears other new one...

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by weares View Post
                              Hi I've followed all steps of your tutorial to get work this plugin on VR. I've might missing something because when I pressed the action button appears a cube and then dialogue but when I choose one answer then appears other new one...

                              Could you send me your project to codespartan.supp@gmail.com? I'll have a look.


                              Originally posted by Dryfter View Post
                              Is it possible I missed something else as well? I'm asking this because I fixed the missing connection but a problem still remains:

                              I found out that the "Continue" button will only show if the next NPC bubble actually has text of some kind in it. If it is truly empty the "Continue" will not appear. I got around that by just tapping the space key a few times and using empty spaces as filler. This did get the Continue button to show. However...

                              Once I hit that button and it went to the next NPC bubble - the "empty" one with Options 1-4 attached to it - none of those options appeared. Seems odd to me and I'm thinking I must have missed something else.

                              I'll keep trying things and add anything I find. I think I'll also go back through your manual and check over all of the connections in my custom widgets seeing as how I missed the first one I may have do so again somewhere else.
                              Sorry, I don't understand the explanations, seeing as I no longer have your project handy. Could you just send it to me again? With an example of a dialogue that's causing problems. Sorry for the inconvenience.
                              Last edited by CodeSpartan; 12-25-2017, 02:07 PM.
                              MMO Starter Kit
                              Dialogue Plugin
                              Voxel Plugin
                              Character Customization: Female
                              Character Custmization: Male

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by CodeSpartan View Post


                                Could you send me your project to codespartan.supp@gmail.com? I'll have a look.
                                Hey I'll redone but in first person shooter to understand better the process and then I'll redone for vr. Anyway, is possible to implement directly VR dialogue widget into the plugin like an update or something? VR developers community is growing hahaha. Thanks.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X