No announcement yet.

Ballistics impacts & other violent VFX/Particles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice impacts. Very clean, stylish, and extremely active. Hope to see more soon!

Comment

Thanks BTLRoach... and here's some more!

I made a little start on ricochet FX too...

-------------------------------------
      Cubit Studios Ballistics VFX Pack Available on GUMROAD now.
      Infinitesimals Development Log

Comment

Awesome work [MENTION=35645]CubitStudios[/MENTION]

Comment

Very Nice Indeed.
          HeadlessStudios.com is now part of TheGameDevStore.com

Comment

Thanks guys! another update to come on Monday.

Comment

A little preview of the work in progress demo map:

Comment

Haha, the demo room looks great and very entertaining... If I was to play for 9 hrs and 20 secs though...

Comment

thanks! Yeh, I didn't bother making the police actually turn up, I doubt anyone has the patience for that!

Comment

Hi.
                    Still following this thread with great interest.
                    Would you mind describing exactly how the destruction system works please? Is it built into materials so that you can make static meshes, apply your materials to them and they will fragment and break automatically? Or are there more hoops to jump through?
                    Regards
                    Slinky

Comment

Ok, it's all pretty standard stuff I'd say, I should note that the included demo map and BP's are really just examples of the FX in action and one suggested way of spawning them - you could spawn them using other methods depending on your project needs. So, for triggering the impact VFX in the demo project I have set up physical materials in the projects physics settings...

Click image for larger version

Name:	PhysicsSettings.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	1102975

and then made corresponding physmat assets in a folder...

Name:	Physmats.jpg
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	1102976

with each correctly assigned to the project settings physics material...

Name:	Physmats2.jpg
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	1102977

Then, whenever you make a material you assign it one of these physmats in the material editor drop down that corresponds to whatever material FX you want to spawn when it's hit (alternatively you can override this in the static mesh detail panel)

Name:	MaterialSetup.jpg
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	1102978

Then, the projectile BP (which is basically the first person template projectile BP with custom stuff added) will query the physmat surface of anything the projectile hits and selects the appropriate VFX impact and sound..

Name:	BPMats.jpg
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	1102979

Originally I tried using the original projectiles bounce settings to make ricochets, but I found it to be too unpredictable, so I have added variables for working out when a projectile will ricochet or not based upon impact angle, which can also be modified per material (so you could make sand consume bullets, and a hard smooth material can deflect them much more). There are also variables for random velocity loss per ricochet, VFX spawn angle variance, ricochet random vector cone etc...

If i were going all out to make a realistic ballistics system, I could also add penetration, exit VFX and a whole host of other things, but first things first!

---------------
                      For the destruction, it's simply the built in destructible mesh system, so there's nothing custom here except for the particles themselves...
                      So, you select your static mesh in the content browser, right click and then click "create destructible mesh"...

Name:	createDM.jpg
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	1102980

Then, just open the newly created destructible, fracture it etc and there are options to assign particle FX for when a fracture occurs. You would then simply assign the correct fracture particle for it's material type.

Name:	Fracture.jpg
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	1102981

Comment

Okay thanks for that run down. Should be a day one purchase for me.
                        Very witty last video by the way.
                        Regards
                        Slinky

Comment

have you considered adding mesh debris to the particle effects where appropriate... specifically wood splinters?

Comment

Thanks Slinky

Dcyoung: Certainly something I can add if it's important to people. I've just added normals and improved the material for the small 2D GPU debris particles which helps a lot. Wouldn't take long at all to bash out some mesh wood splinters etc though...
                            Last edited by CubitStudios; 03-24-2016, 01:15 PM.

Comment

I'm experimenting with a destruction based game and having meshes included in the particle systems (even if just included variations) for wood splinter or concrete rubble bits would make this an instant buy for me.

Comment

very nice work ! have you got a release date and a price for this package ?

Comment

Working...
                                X