Advanced Social System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KennethE View Post
    So how would i change a player's name? i tried creating a login screen to do this with no avail.
    Creating a new function to update a players name is very simple. You would just need to know the player ID you want to update and then you can update that players data that exists in the player array.

But when creating new features in unreal, choosing the best methods to approach a problem really depends on your game design. perhaps you want to create a command for changing a players name, or maybe you just want the server to be able to do it(function vs command). If your login system registers new players you would want that login system to save the data and then when your social system loads data it can read this new player information.

The issue is though that the demo DataTable included just provides dummy data to load into the social system example to simulate loading your data from a database, save file, or any other source you decide to use in your game.
    The dataTable can not be updated at run time. It just serves as a collection of demo data to populate the Social System.

If you look in the SocialGameState you will see where the arrays of data are populated by loading this demo data and when you have a way of saving and loading your game data you will be hooking it up here in the SocialGameState.

Depending on your game design you might want to be storing everything in a database or using save files. VaRest is a good plugin a lot of people use to get data from a webserver that's connected to a database. Or you can simply have the server save and load save files that contain all this data using unreals save/load system. Hooking up loading and then saving social system data is very easy as you can see by the simplicity of the load logic currently in the SocialGameState.

I hope this helps point you in the right direction.
    Last edited by Pirate; 11-29-2016, 07:30 PM.
    \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Marketplace - Action RPG Inventory System | Multiplayer TopDown Kit | Advanced Social System
    Multiplayer TopDown Kit Tutorials - Merging The Action RPG Inventory System | Removing the Fog of War
    Action RPG Inventory Tutorials - Merging Into Your Project | Adding New Items | FPS Controls w/ UI Mode Toggle

Comment

Hi, I tryied to merge this asset with your multiplayer topdown, my problem is that only the host is seeing the chat window and if I join a dedicated server, nobody see the chat window.
      And I have this error, I guess it's related to my problem:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Error.png
Views:	1
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	1119805

Edit: Ok, it looks that I have the same problem :

Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	1119814
      Last edited by Haoris; 12-09-2016, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Haoris View Post
        Hi, I tryied to merge this asset with your multiplayer topdown, my problem is that only the host is seeing the chat window and if I join a dedicated server, nobody see the chat window.
        And I have this error, I guess it's related to my problem:
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]120892[/ATTACH]

Edit: Ok, it looks that I have the same problem :
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]120905[/ATTACH]
        Hrmm that is odd it's erroring on the GetOwner node. Have you tried deleting and readding the Node?
        Sometimes the editor gets tripped up.

If only the host is seeing the chat window, you are not initializing it for clients.

Can you show me where you put the initialize logic for the Social System in the MPTopDownKit PlayerController
        \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Marketplace - Action RPG Inventory System | Multiplayer TopDown Kit | Advanced Social System
        Multiplayer TopDown Kit Tutorials - Merging The Action RPG Inventory System | Removing the Fog of War
        Action RPG Inventory Tutorials - Merging Into Your Project | Adding New Items | FPS Controls w/ UI Mode Toggle

Comment

I've tryied delete/rewrite the nodes, deleting the save and intermediate folders, fixing redirectors, etc. Still the same error.

If you mean the "Client_LoadPlayer" event, I paste it in the event graph of the MPTopDownNetworkController and I call the event in the MPTopDownGameMode like this :

Name:	GameMode.png
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	1119819
          Attached Files

Comment

I've tryied delete/rewrite the nodes, deleting the save and intermediate folders, fixing redirectors, etc. Still the same error.

If you mean the "Client_LoadPlayer" event, I paste it in the event graph of the MPTopDownNetworkController and I call the event in the MPTopDownGameMode like this :

[ATTACH=CONFIG]120925[/ATTACH]
            About the error, have you parented your MPTopDownPlayerState to SocialPlayerState?

As for the window not loading for clients have you merged the HUDLayout. So the SocialSystem widgets are added into your MPTopDownKit's HUDLayout (I know I should have named that file differently in my three assets.. my mistake) and then you update the reference in the Client_LoadPlayer Logic.
            It seems weird that it works for the server but not clients. That makes me think the Social Systems Init is only running on the server. Do you get any warnings or errors in your log?
            \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Comment

Yes I did:

Name:	HUDLayout.png
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	1119855

Name:	PlayerState.png
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	1119856

I think I've changed all the references of SocialPlayerState to MPTopDownPlayerState but I think it can't work with this "getOwner" error. It's strange because it works in the project created from the unreal launcher but not while merged with the topdown project

I tryied this for testing:

Name:	test.png
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	1119860

No compile error but still only one player can see the chat window. When I try to send a message in chat with this played, I get this error :

Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1119861
              Last edited by Haoris; 12-09-2016, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Ok, I had to delete the whole macro and rewrite it and now it works! I hate those UE bugs.
                For strange reason, when running the game with two players in the editor, the player who join the server still can't see the chat, has no player frame, etc. but it works on two different machine over LAN so it's ok.

Comment

Ok, I had to delete the whole macro and rewrite it and now it works! I hate those UE bugs.
                  For strange reason, when running the game with two players in the editor, the player who join the server still can't see the chat, has no player frame, etc. but it works on two different machine over LAN so it's ok.
                  That is odd, it still sounds like the issue is simply with where it's calling the Init. I will work on merging all 3 together into a new project next week and post where I initialize the Social System. Then you can update based on that.
                  \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Comment

Ok nice. Yes, I think my Init is not good.

If you want, I can send you a copy of my project as a base to save you some work.

Comment

Ok nice. Yes, I think my Init is not good.

If you want, I can send you a copy of my project as a base to save you some work.
                      yes please email support@vanguardinteractive.com with a link and I can take a look and let you know exactly what to change in your project.
                      \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Comment

Love your works!! Hope you do others as well. Any update on your combat system etc?!
                        Awesome work, thank you so much.

Comment

Combat system? Details?

WIP Thread

Comment

Hi everbody,

I already merged *** with ARPGIS...Have a little concern...i can't find where I set my values/variables of player. Alright do a Login system in ASP.NET using JSON request...but, where in project I can change values to PlayerState correcttly to set name of character...all things.

Pls help,
                            awaiting...

Comment

Originally posted by Demonraz View Post
                              Hi everbody,

I already merged *** with ARPGIS...Have a little concern...i can't find where I set my values/variables of player. Alright do a Login system in ASP.NET using JSON request...but, where in project I can change values to PlayerState correcttly to set name of character...all things.

Pls help,
                              awaiting...
                              Inside the GameState class is where the Array for Players, Guilds and Parties are.
                              There is demo logic loading data from the demo DataTable into these arrays on server start. You will want to load your data from your database and populate these arrays.
                              You will also find functions for Creating Guilds/Parties and Loading Players/Guilds into the arrays that you can call as the server and pass in your information from your database/savefile/etc.
                              \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Comment

Hi! Awesome package your have here, very clean and understandable. I managed to implement the features into my project, however, is there a way so I can use the Steam Player Name instead of the Data-Table names Pirate, Ninja etc. ? How would I implement that ? Thanks in advance!

Comment

Working...
                                X