Advanced Social System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by frostic View Post
    WOW thankyou for such a quick responce! all your content is supurb! im also going to be purchasing more next month
    you are an amazing developer. THANKYOU for what you do!!!
    Thank you , feel free to send me and email or ask here if you need any help. I'm on my mobile or I would have tried to link some of the wiki links in the last post. But they should be easy enough to find with google.
    \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Marketplace - Action RPG Inventory System | Multiplayer TopDown Kit | Advanced Social System
    Multiplayer TopDown Kit Tutorials - Merging The Action RPG Inventory System | Removing the Fog of War
    Action RPG Inventory Tutorials - Merging Into Your Project | Adding New Items | FPS Controls w/ UI Mode Toggle

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post

I would not recommend using a VPS for hosting unreal servers as they won't provide enough resources to run a game server. For simple testing purposes it is best to use an old machine or laptop and when you are ready to have a more dedicated alpha test you will want to start with using proper dedicated server hosting.
      VPS come in tiers and you can tailor your VPS to suit your application. OS, memory, storarge can all be chosen. The jump up in price from a VPS to a dedicated machine is dramatic and not necessary for testing purposes.

In my experience, there are always complications when moving from a lan based setup to an internet based setup and it is unwise to assume that no problems will occur.

WIP Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Rhynedahll View Post
        VPS come in tiers and you can tailor your VPS to suit your application. OS, memory, storarge can all be chosen. The jump up in price from a VPS to a dedicated machine is dramatic and not necessary for testing purposes.

In my experience, there are always complications when moving from a lan based setup to an internet based setup and it is unwise to assume that no problems will occur.
        Not having enough CPU power on a VPS will result in horrendous lag, but you are correct, depending on the tier and the service it might be enough to run a few players for testing purposes.
        \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Marketplace - Action RPG Inventory System | Multiplayer TopDown Kit | Advanced Social System
        Multiplayer TopDown Kit Tutorials - Merging The Action RPG Inventory System | Removing the Fog of War
        Action RPG Inventory Tutorials - Merging Into Your Project | Adding New Items | FPS Controls w/ UI Mode Toggle

Comment

Will this work if packaged for HTML5? My requirement is a Javascript based client & server social system where users log on to a Javascript chat server from browsers and chat/interact. TIA.

Comment

Originally posted by interceptor View Post
            Will this work if packaged for HTML5? My requirement is a Javascript based client & server social system where users log on to a Javascript chat server from browsers and chat/interact. TIA.
            It replicates the messages the same as it would replicate anything else in unreal like "Movement". If you wanted to convert it to use Javascript and connect to a chat server that would require you to change the few functions that handle sending and receiving chat messages.

But I have no tested in on platforms not listed as supported on the marketplace page.
            \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Comment

The Advanced Social System is compatible with 4.12 but this is a very small bug after updating.

When you hit enter to type and message and hit enter again the focus from the game is not reset properly. So if you finished typing and then hit WASD movement keys the character will not move until you click to regain the game focus. There must have been a bug introduced in 4.12 with how focusing works as this all worked fine in earlier versions.

Here is a quick and easy work around for the issue.
              Simply add the highlighted node showing in the screenshot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4_12_focusfix.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	1114501

If this issue is not fixed in the 4.12.2 hotfix I will supply an official update to the A.S.S that includes the fix.
              Last edited by Pirate; 09-03-2016, 11:38 AM.
              \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Comment

I'm thinking about buying this, but a have two questions. I'm still very new to unreal but would it be very difficult to build upon this social system so it will work with chat bubbles like in WoW?
                Can this system be used on steam servers multiplayer games?
                "He who knows best knows how little he knows"

Comment

I buy the chat and after initial problem, I got to migrate my project, the problem now is that I have a database where the user recovery, after making the loguin and I want the name to appear on the player and not those who come by default, as I do to the variable username becomes the player's name?

Comment

Originally posted by Jojoba007 View Post
                    I'm thinking about buying this, but a have two questions. I'm still very new to unreal but would it be very difficult to build upon this social system so it will work with chat bubbles like in WoW?
                    Can this system be used on steam servers multiplayer games?
                    You will have to create the chat bubbles and when the message is sent you would have to create code to also relay the chat to the bubbles when it sends it to the clients chat window. It is not difficult but it does require some knowledge of Unreal UMG and blueprinting. The Social System works with Unreals networking.

Originally posted by _alastor_ View Post
                    I buy the chat and after initial problem, I got to migrate my project, the problem now is that I have a database where the user recovery, after making the loguin and I want the name to appear on the player and not those who come by default, as I do to the variable username becomes the player's name?
                    You will want to have the SocialGameState logic on the Event graph load from your database instead of loading the data from the Demo DataTables. If you already have database support this should be fairly straight forward to adapt to your own data.
                    \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                      You will have to create the chat bubbles and when the message is sent you would have to create code to also relay the chat to the bubbles when it sends it to the clients chat window. It is not difficult but it does require some knowledge of Unreal UMG and blueprinting. The Social System works with Unreals networking.
                      So if this social system works with unreal networking will it be able to get it work on stea. Sorry for the noobisch question, but I want to use your social system for learning and examine it and learn how to setup steam games etc.
                      "He who knows best knows how little he knows"

Comment

Originally posted by Jojoba007 View Post
                        So if this social system works with unreal networking will it be able to get it work on stea. Sorry for the noobisch question, but I want to use your social system for learning and examine it and learn how to setup steam games etc.
                        Steam doesn't change how unreal's networking code works. It's just an added system you can use for matchmaking and sessions instead of the basic one provided.
                        But you will need a valid steam ID to use steam in your project outside of a local network if you want to find sessions. But again this has nothing to do with how Unreal's networking works.
                        \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Comment

Where do you change the welcome message?

Comment

Looks like interesting asset to buy. Perhaps one question, how easy is to adjust/reskin UI, formation, placement and appearance of chat system? Is it default UMG workflow or is it heavier due to code interferance?

Comment

ok so i added a CAR to my social system (freaking amazing BTW)
                              in the image im trying to make the name of the player show when they are in the car. it has a nameplate widget
                              but it dont show the players name. any ideas what is wrong with it?

the widget class IS set to player nameplate. i just cant seem to gt it to show

Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw4HADJ.png
Views:	1
Size:	319.5 KB
ID:	1114090
                              Last edited by frostic; 08-20-2016, 11:01 AM.
                              Matt Walton: Programmer and owner of WireLiteSoft Games.

[Streaming Terrains][WireLiteSoft.us]

Comment

where you are getting player state from "self", this is for the sedan BP. Should you be pulling the data from the player character instead of self? just an idea at a glance. cause if the name plate is blank self is probably a null reference. You could also setup a "owning player" function for the car, which could store the player name in a variable to use. This would also be a way you could setup permissions for the car if you wanted a locking feature and so on.
                                Robviously - Lone Pioneer Studios

Marketplace Items:
                                Mount and Taming Blueprint
                                Status Effects and Combat Text Blueprint
                                Laser Rangefinder Blueprint

Comment

Working...
                                X