Advanced Social System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MattManning View Post
    [MENTION=39476]Pirate[/MENTION], is there a way, when another user sends an invite, I can make my UI(with accept decline) appear on the other clients screen bypassing the need to type /guildaccept etc..
    A good place to integrate this would be when the player receives a PendingGuildInviteID as it is replicated from the server to the client so you can trigger to show the UI prompt when this is changed.
    Note: It's an INT variable and -1 means no pending invite, so when the value is >= 0 they currently have an invite. Once they accept or decline it is set back to -1 (NULL)

Then have the UI buttons simply send the command you pressed to the server. To do this for the Guild commands just have the client call the SocialSystemComponent's Event Server_ExecuteGuildCommand and input "GAccept" or "GDecline" as the Command name input.

The same idea for Party invites, but it would be PendingPartyInviteID, the Event Server_ExecutePartyCommand and input "Accept" or "Decline".
    Note: You can see all the proper Command names in the first column of the ListCommands DataTable. If you input an invalid command name nothing will happen when you tell the server to execute the command.
    Last edited by Pirate; 03-18-2016, 11:00 PM.
    \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Marketplace - Action RPG Inventory System | Multiplayer TopDown Kit | Advanced Social System
    Multiplayer TopDown Kit Tutorials - Merging The Action RPG Inventory System | Removing the Fog of War
    Action RPG Inventory Tutorials - Merging Into Your Project | Adding New Items | FPS Controls w/ UI Mode Toggle

Comment

The Advanced Social System is on sale this week for 20% off
      \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Marketplace - Action RPG Inventory System | Multiplayer TopDown Kit | Advanced Social System
      Multiplayer TopDown Kit Tutorials - Merging The Action RPG Inventory System | Removing the Fog of War
      Action RPG Inventory Tutorials - Merging Into Your Project | Adding New Items | FPS Controls w/ UI Mode Toggle

Comment

Version 1.3 - Version 4.11 - Submitted April 1st 2016
        ------- Update Notes -------

This is just a very quick update for Epic so they can mark the asset as supporting 4.11 on the marketplace and launcher.

You can upgrade your existing projects from 4.10 to 4.11 and everything will work just fine.
        Just make sure to double check the Project Settings to make sure the default server mode and server map are configured correctly after upgrading.
        \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Comment

Would anyone have the time to test this for me? I need to verify that the bug is somewhere in my own code.

Run a project in the PIE as a dedicated server with 2 or more clients. Does the chat work fine?

My project fails to run the social system if using a Dedicated Server and I am trying to narrow down the source of the problem. Thanks in advance.

WIP Thread

Comment

No issues here in 4.10 or 4.11 with dedicated server PIE or built server.

I would double check the init code if it's not working for clients in your own project.
            \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Comment

Hello, I'm considering purchasing the Advanced Social System.. (I was going to abbreviate the name but decided against it...). What type of server technology is required to run this? MySQL, java? Does the system retain the guild affiliation between sessions or is this something that I would have to write in?

I look forward to your reply.

Comment

You add it to your blueprint, so it works on the that specific map.

Say you open Map.exe port 7777, all players on this map will be able to talk to each other. However they wont be able to communicate with players from a Map2.exe port 7778. To do this you might need to implement an external chatServer.exe that receives all messages people send and they sends it back to all connected maps (so in the blueprints you should basically connect to this chatServer). This is not difficult to implement though, just some basic C++ or C to create the exe and receive the info and send it back to all connected maps (sockets?).

Regarding if the system retains guild affiliation between sessions, couldn't tell. Lets wait for the owner.

And the server technology to run this.. well, blueprints.

PS: I'm glad you did not abbreviated the name.. lol

Comment

If you want to save player data, guild data, etc. You will have to have the server save and load that from a Database or Savefile.
                  The DataTables used as demo data can not be changed at runtime and are loaded when the server starts. I am using DataTables for the demo data as it is a clean way of showing you how to handle the data and easy to swap out with your own data management solutions.

There are plenty of tutorials on unreal save/load. Also the VaRest plugin is a great way to save/load data in blueprints with a database.
                  \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Comment

The Action RPG Inventory System, Multiplayer TopDown Kit and Advanced Social System will be on sale from May 23rd to June 1st at 15% off.
                    \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                      The Action RPG Inventory System, Multiplayer TopDown Kit and Advanced Social System will be on sale from May 23rd to June 1st at 15% off.
                      I would happily purchase another set if it was a combination of AdvSocSys & ARPGIS in one project. (Our game is not TopDown.) Time being our least plentiful resource, it would be much more cost efficient to purchase a new combined kit than to periodically bang our heads against the wall trying to figure out the details.

WIP Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Rhynedahll View Post
                        I would happily purchase another set if it was a combination of AdvSocSys & ARPGIS in one project. (Our game is not TopDown.) Time being our least plentiful resource, it would be much more cost efficient to purchase a new combined kit than to periodically bang our heads against the wall trying to figure out the details.
                        I agree with you on this

Comment

How can i get others to connect to my server to test this with other players over the internet?
                          does it have that capability or do i need to impliment that?
                          Matt Walton: Programmer and owner for WireLiteSoft Games.

Comment

Originally posted by frostic View Post
                            How can i get others to connect to my server to test this with other players over the internet?
                            I am working towards this objective.

At present, I believe that I have the AdvSocSys chat working over a Lan using a dedicated Unreal server. Clients on separate machines can exchange messages but I have not exhaustively tested this as yet. Eventually I plan to create a dedicated Java chat server and plug the chat system into it but am waiting on the Sockets plugin to learn that part.

A similar method could be used, I believe, over the internet. You would need to build a dedicated server for your project and the client, then upload the dedicated server to a VPS on a hosting site, connect the clients to the VPS IP addr, and then should be able to test the chat.

As an alternative to the VPS, if you can open ports through your ISP, you could conceivably host the dedicated server on a local machine.

WIP Thread

Comment

Originally posted by frostic View Post
                              The advanced social system works out of the box with connecting to all clients using Unreal's server architecture. So if you connect to a dedicated server, or host a session and have players connect the system will work. There are instructions on the wiki for how to use Unreal outside of the editor to test multiplayer. There is also information on the wiki that goes over what ports unreal uses and also how to build a dedicated server version of your project. I would get familiar with how basic multiplayer works with unreal before starting to make changes to the networking in the Advanced Social System.

Originally posted by Rhynedahll View Post
                              I am working towards this objective.

At present, I believe that I have the AdvSocSys chat working over a Lan using a dedicated Unreal server. Clients on separate machines can exchange messages but I have not exhaustively tested this as yet. Eventually I plan to create a dedicated Java chat server and plug the chat system into it but am waiting on the Sockets plugin to learn that part.

A similar method could be used, I believe, over the internet. You would need to build a dedicated server for your project and the client, then upload the dedicated server to a VPS on a hosting site, connect the clients to the VPS IP addr, and then should be able to test the chat.

As an alternative to the VPS, if you can open ports through your ISP, you could conceivably host the dedicated server on a local machine.
                              I would not recommend using a VPS for hosting unreal servers as they won't provide enough resources to run a game server. For simple testing purposes it is best to use an old machine or laptop and when you are ready to have a more dedicated alpha test you will want to start with using proper dedicated server hosting.

The Advanced Social System is built using Unreal's networking, but if you wanted to use web sockets instead and have the clients connect to an external chat server you created in c#, c++, java, etc.. the changes needed to migrate the Advanced Social System to send and receive messages from web sockets to your custom chat server wouldn't be that difficult if you have an intermediate understanding of unreal networking and blueprinting.

There are many programming guides on the web that will teach you how to write a basic chat server, then you can update the blueprints using sockets to send and receive messages from your external server. Then you would just need to update the few functions that handle sending and receiving messages to work with the build in web sockets to allow communication between Unreal and external applications.
                              Last edited by Pirate; 06-02-2016, 02:35 PM.
                              \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                                The advanced social system works out of the box with connecting to all clients using Unreal's server architecture. So if you connect to a dedicated server, or host a session and have players connect the system will work. There are instructions on the wiki for how to use Unreal outside of the editor to test multiplayer. There is information on the wiki that goes over what ports unreal uses and also how to build a dedicated server version of your project.
                                WOW thankyou for such a quick responce! all your content is supurb! im also going to be purchasing more next month
                                you are an amazing developer. THANKYOU for what you do!!!
                                Matt Walton: Programmer and owner for WireLiteSoft Games.

Comment

Working...
                                X