Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SUBMITTED] [PLUGIN] Region Pathing - Advanced Node Traversal

Hello All,

I wanted to show a recent submission to the marketplace completed by Rama and Myself.

This is an advanced node traversal workflow which can be used to give a developer greater control over any actor's navigation path. There are numerous scenarios in which these tools can be beneficial in a variety of game types. (I have included some demonstrations in the video below)

The set-up and development process is simple:

1. Add the regions to your level and connect them. (you will also need to place the included 2D capture cam to review your data. just drag and drop.)
    2. Re-parent your Game State and turn on the baking menu option, then simply run a simulation of the level.
    3. Once the game has loaded a baking menu will automatically appear and you can adjust the way in which you would like to process the path map.
    4. After you have adjusted the baking settings to your preference simply hit "Bake". The log will keep you updated and tell you when you have finished baking the data. Once it is complete, your data will be automatically saved to your project folder.
    5. Now back to the Game State and turn on the debug menu option, then run a level simulation again.
    6. Once inside the Debug Menu you have the control to review and remove any unwanted paths that were generated per a pair of selected regions. Once satisfied with the alterations simply press save.
    7. Now your Data is ready.

And using the data is just as simple:

1. Re-parent the included "Region Traversal" actor into your Character/AI's hierarchy.
    2. Search for and drag out the function "Path to Region."
    3. Input the required target data and specify the pathing variables.
    4. Now your Done! (though double check the level contains navigation mesh.)

Behind the Scenes:

- C++ Core.
    - Multi-threaded Baking, Saving, and Loading. (Will not interrupt your game)
    - Data is serialized to disc as a .NAV file in your project's folder.
    - Data is automatically loaded on start.
    - Saves a different data file per level.

More information to come.
    Thank you for looking,

Jack (CptShip)

More videos/examples:

Baking Menu

Pathtopia

Demonstration Download:Pathtopia - TrafficLights - 61.7 mb
    Last edited by eXi; 04-26-2016, 10:30 PM.

Hi

Nice the wonderful pathfinder nodes is coming back in C++.

I loved it
    lunybunny.com
    lunybunny.com

Comment

Looks useful, I like the fact that the user can follow a predefined path on screen

Comment

Dear Community,

I had a lot of fun writing the C++ core algorithm, it can handles very complex networks of nodes!

Jack is an amazing BP coder, and so in this plugin you are getting both a C++ core as well as powerful Blueprint node tools!

The workflow is entirely in the editor, no C++ required, but UE4 C++ is the core engine of the whole thing

Because the information is backed into binary files the system runs super-fast at runtime with hundreds of AI using the network to choose where to go based on your BP specifications!

Rama
        100+ UE4 C++ Tutorials on the UE4 Code Wiki, including UE4 Multi-Threading!

UE4 Marketplace: Melee Weapon Plugin & Compressed Binary Save System Plugin | Rama's C++ AI Jumping Videos | Vertex Snap Editor Plugin

Visit www.ue4code.com to see lots of videos about my C++ Creations! ♥ Rama

Comment

Very cool!
          |Mitchell Lucas
          |Technical Sound Designer at Magic Leap

Comment

Will this work in a dynamic/World Composition scenario? i.e. can I set up and bake pathing from Level A to Level B knowing that Level B may not be loaded at any given time?

Comment

Looks nice. Since it's a plugin, don't expect to be on the Marketplace for a long time.
              [Plugin] Social Network (Facebook):https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...gin-(Facebook)

Comment

awesome work

Comment

Hey Cptship,

I have a bit of a request for an few examples for your framework.

Would it be possible to get a Traffic example? Cars stopping and going at certain times when they are at traffic lights.
                  Would it be possible to get a pedestrian example? So pedestrians crossing the road, using sidewalks, and crosswalks in conjunction with traffic lights.

Or would this be out of scope for your plugin?

Thanks for your time,

HeadClot
                  Last edited by HeadClot; 02-05-2016, 09:54 PM.

Comment

i love it!! i hope it comes out .. great work you guys!

Comment

Wacky Car AI Project Download Using Region Pathing Plugin

Hello Head Clot,

This is an interesting idea! I built a small example that you can view yourself. I didn't not make street lights or pedestrians, though it is completely possible to have 2 closed loops of regions, 1 for pedestrians and 1 for cars. As well there wouldn't be any issues to have a street light directing traffic by communicating to the regions and having the cars check if the intersection they are coming to is green or red. If I find some time, I will put some more in to setting up an example with traffic direction and pedestrians.

For now I will let everyone download a packaged example of the cars chaotically driving around. They each grab a random path and once they finish that path they find a new one. The car movement is ran completely using the stock car movement component, NO navigation mesh is in use. Also you will notice that the cars stay on their side of the road, this because I am using one way paths.

This pathing algorithm supports one way paths, there for allowing me to create two sides of the road.

~~~

Download Example For EVERYONE! For you from Jack and Rama

~~~

Wacky Car AI - https://www.dropbox.com/s/9v1dlcjkw7d6ogb/Cars.rar?dl=0

Enjoy!

Rama

&

Cptship

Click image for larger version

Name:	Regiontopia.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	1100001
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by CptShip; 02-07-2016, 04:10 AM. Reason: Added Picture

Comment

Originally posted by yanzco View Post
                        i love it!! i hope it comes out .. great work you guys!
                        Thank you for your kind words and support!

Originally posted by MuhammadMadi View Post
                        awesome work
                        Thank you Muhammad!

Originally posted by Devfo Studios View Post
                        Looks nice. Since it's a plugin, don't expect to be on the Marketplace for a long time.
                        Understood, potentially we may do an earlier release outside of marketplace.
                        Last edited by CptShip; 02-07-2016, 04:05 AM. Reason: Merging Posts

Comment

Originally posted by kirk.clawson View Post
                          Will this work in a dynamic/World Composition scenario? i.e. can I set up and bake pathing from Level A to Level B knowing that Level B may not be loaded at any given time?
                          I will get back to you on this. It is possible with a little more ironing out. Now that it is brought to our attention we will see how/if we can easily provide support for users in this manner. It is on the to-do list though,

-Cptship
                          Last edited by CptShip; 02-07-2016, 04:14 AM.

Comment

This is amazing. There is too much potential in C++ and these guys can use all of it. I need to learn C++ ASAP
                            Once plugins become available as blueprints in marketplace, we'll have totally new level of tools . So much hype!!
                            HeadsAndBrains
                            MARKETPLACE | YouTube

Comment

Sounds good! But can there be different options for how the actor responds to a blocked path? And how they act when they reach a waypoint? Like wait there for a while before moving on? That's something I've seen in other engines and would like that but as long as it's easy enough to implement that feature myself I'm okay with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X