Multiplayer Survival Game Template

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by justin654 View Post
    Looks awesome! Cannot wait to get my hands on the new system, lots of art finished just awaiting the update patiently. Have a good vacation!
    Thanks! Back at work on it as of today Hopefully will have it ready for you guys to use very soon.

Comment

I've been following this for a while, I am very excited to see what you have in store for us!

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDriftStudios View Post
        I've been following this for a while, I am very excited to see what you have in store for us!
        Thanks both for your excitement and your patience haha! I know it's been a long ride, hoping it will be worth it to all in the long run though

Comment

I am really excited to see this system going multiplayer. Single player survival games are fun and all, but it pales in comparison to working together with a few buddies and taking on the elements together.

Comment

hey there,
            thank you so much for your your great project, i have some questions:
            1) i implemented SGT_Content in my "third person blueprint project", followed your video tutorial and everything work correctly, already tested stamina, oxygen etc
            but i don't know why pick up event doesn't work; i mean, this is how look like in your project (when in third person go close to an item) http://prntscr.com/d8nkzi
            and this what happen when i go close to an item in my project http://prntscr.com/d8np36 . Look like doesn't focus the item, what should happen, or what should miss?

2) i tested my project (with SGT implemented), in a multiplayer session; (i know SGT is not for multiplayer) everything worked correctly (talking about stamina, oxygen, etc),
            the first client work right, but the second client (i don't know why), doesn't make walk animation. it's weird, because the first client can see the second walk, but
            the second one can't see himself to walk...just move without animation.
            What should be?

Comment

Originally posted by Fabry911 View Post
              1) i implemented SGT_Content in my "third person blueprint project", followed your video tutorial and everything work correctly, already tested stamina, oxygen etc
              but i don't know why pick up event doesn't work; i mean, this is how look like in your project (when in third person go close to an item) http://prntscr.com/d8nkzi
              and this what happen when i go close to an item in my project http://prntscr.com/d8np36 . Look like doesn't focus the item, what should happen, or what should miss?
              I fixed the focus problem changing the camera reference with my character camera in "HUD_LineTrace" function http://prntscr.com/d8tauh
              but changing the default inputaction with simple E key pressed http://prntscr.com/d8tb9l still doesn't work.
              http://prntscr.com/d8tbmd as you can see here, the item is focussed and the text appear; but pressing E key, he doesn't pickk up it.

Comment

Originally posted by RasFW View Post
                I am really excited to see this system going multiplayer. Single player survival games are fun and all, but it pales in comparison to working together with a few buddies and taking on the elements together.
                Thanks for your excitement and support! I'm really interested to see what people do with the new version

hey there,
                thank you so much for your your great project, i have some questions:

2) i tested my project (with SGT implemented), in a multiplayer session; (i know SGT is not for multiplayer) everything worked correctly (talking about stamina, oxygen, etc),
                the first client work right, but the second client (i don't know why), doesn't make walk animation. it's weird, because the first client can see the second walk, but
                the second one can't see himself to walk...just move without animation.
                What should be?
                I fixed the focus problem changing the camera reference with my character camera in "HUD_LineTrace" function http://prntscr.com/d8tauh
                but changing the default inputaction with simple E key pressed http://prntscr.com/d8tb9l still doesn't work.
                http://prntscr.com/d8tbmd as you can see here, the item is focussed and the text appear; but pressing E key, he doesn't pickk up it.
                Hey Fabry. Apologies for the delay in replying - currently working without internet at my house due to moving. If you, or anyone, needs/wants more prompt support I encourage you to contact me via email (apoisonedgift@gmail.com) as I will be able to reply more promptly with my phone that way.

Regarding your specific queries... it's hard to say exactly what might be causing the issue as you are working with a modified version of the project. It's possible there is a single node not connected somewhere (a result of the migration/integration), it's possible there are conflicting key bindings, it's possible that one of those booleans that it checks in the event fired when E is pressed isn't being set up correctly. All that aside, one very strong possibility, given the resolution to the first part of this issue, miight be that you may still need to change the casting for the actual pickup event (as that ray trace is different to the interactivity check). Jump into the function In_LineTraceAndStore and check that out, as outlined in this screenshot: http://prntscr.com/d8ur9i. Obviously, you need to ensure that the casting matches your setup. If this isn't the issue, then I will need you to do a little more digging and get back to me - check out the booleans, make sure they are set correctly (some will be set ad defaults, some set as part of the initialisation procedures), check all the links in the event chain, etc. We will sort it out Just hard to tell at this point what it definitely is haha.

Regarding your other query... Some things will work in a multiplayer session, but a lot won't. This is simply a result of the fact that multiplayer was not even considered from the onset of creation of this template - in order to make it work you would need to go through every system and ensure it all runs via the server, and only parses info to the client (this is what I am doing in the multiplayer rewrite I am winding up work on - but it honestly was important for me to just scratch the template and build it from the ground up for multiplayer). The animation issue you are talking about here is a result of this also - the anim graph isn't set up to work with multiplayer at all. In theory, you could take the current build of the template and make it work in multiplayer, but oyu would be looking a momentous task, and it would be even bigger for someone who didn't create the system as it's quite complicated and even I forget where some things are in it haha.

Hope that helps out. Let me know how you go!

Comment

Omg I cant believe I missed when this was on sale!! I was on vacation for almost half of the month and just came back. No wayy! I really wanted this... Are you going to put this pack on sale for black friday or smth, Im really after this pack!!!
                  Please?

Comment

Originally posted by akalovemaker View Post
                    Omg I cant believe I missed when this was on sale!! I was on vacation for almost half of the month and just came back. No wayy! I really wanted this... Are you going to put this pack on sale for black friday or smth, Im really after this pack!!!
                    Please?
                    Hey there! Sorry to hear that you missed the sale. I am afraid that there are no current plans for this pack to go on sale until after it releases as a multiplayer product. Keep an eye on this thread though as I will definitely announce any sales in here if/when they happen!

Comment

Hey, I am really up to buy this amazing pack!
                      Are there more detailed information when the multiplayer version will be released?

thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by GalaxyStudios View Post
                        Hey, I am really up to buy this amazing pack!
                        Are there more detailed information when the multiplayer version will be released?

thanks!
                        Hey there. I'm really trying to finish it up ASAP at this point. I really want to have it out before the end of November - but I was originally planning on having a test phase. I currently am without internet (just moved house) so that's a bit of a kicker, and I may end up releasing it before doing rigorous testing on a live compiled build given this. I can't promise it'll be done by the end of the month, and I think it may take a little longer at this stage - but the best answer I can give is "soon". Sorry I can't be more specific.

Comment

Originally posted by apoisonedgift View Post
                          Hey there. I'm really trying to finish it up ASAP at this point. I really want to have it out before the end of November - but I was originally planning on having a test phase. I currently am without internet (just moved house) so that's a bit of a kicker, and I may end up releasing it before doing rigorous testing on a live compiled build given this. I can't promise it'll be done by the end of the month, and I think it may take a little longer at this stage - but the best answer I can give is "soon". Sorry I can't be more specific.
                          Hey bro I am really excited for this, I hope it comes out soon. I have a couple quesitons

would it be hardx ot add to an existing environment? I do not have anything on the environment I just have the environment.

and you think itll be done before jan? Also is there a full feature list? cuz I notice the one ont he first m\page says "and much more"
                          Interested in having someone review your game? want to do an interview on it?

This check out this website.

Working on a game as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Uprentiss View Post
                            Hey bro I am really excited for this, I hope it comes out soon. I have a couple quesitons

would it be hardx ot add to an existing environment? I do not have anything on the environment I just have the environment.

and you think itll be done before jan? Also is there a full feature list? cuz I notice the one ont he first m\page says "and much more"
                            Hey there. Thanks for the interest

It will not be hard at all to migrate an existing environment into the system. The only things that would have any sort of work required would be if you had a day/night system already set up and wanted to mix and match the one in the template - but even this should be a very easy task. The only time a migration should be at all complicated is if someone has a pre-existing character/controller setup with a heap of logic they need/want to keep (it's still very easily doable, just more work - I'll be making a tutorial on how to do this at some point).

Regarding release - I'm very hesitant to talk about dates at this point. The last two estimates I gave (October, then November) were clearly labelled as estimates and I stated that they were very easily subject to change, which due to circumstances external to development they have. Nonetheless, people have gotten a bit upset that they weren't met. I honestly cannot imagine it not being done before the end of the year - as I am going to hopefully be entering testing with a small group of volunteers in the next week or so - but it's important that everyone understands that I will take as much time as necessary to ensure the quality of the template rather than rushing it out with a lot of bugs. It really depends on what the test group turns up in terms of bugs at this stage.

As for a feature list - the best list I can point to is the trello, which you can find here: https://trello.com/b/OIoSXNVj/ue4-su...te-mp-overhaul

Alternatively, I made a very lengthy post back in October about the state of the template at that point, which contained a lot of detail about what was already in it and such, that you can read here: http://www.dapperraptor.xyz/ue4-survival-game-template/

Hope that answers your questions satisfactorily

Comment

Uprentiss, I would highly suggest you to take a developer course. This template might help you learn some tricks. However, I highly suggest eveyone asking questions like the one you asked to learn to program first. This aint a plug/build lego type, that might work on probs or 3d assets but not in bluprints or c++.to answer your question, Do you mean just to create a level to make it open with this blueprint, lets say when you open multiplayer or single player (Open_Level "NameOfMap"?Yes, It'll be easy. It also depends on the code/blueprints set in your level.
                              Overall, just as a suggestion, learn how UE4 engine works first, then learn how to program videogames (c++, blueprints works too) any object oriented programming really would do.
                              After that do some small 3d and sound effects courses if you are a lonewolf developer.
                              Finally, you can purchase any assets and be happy with them.
                              This is just a suggestion, because you will encounter game breaking bugs and glitches that you will have to know how to fix. This template, I would mainly recomended for someone who has a base structure built and wants to learn a bit from this developer or an advanced developer who wants to decrease hours of work and build up/modify this system.
                              Im telling you all this because we've seen people just trying to refund assets just because "they dont work or not as advertised" when really some people dont know what they are doing and blame the creator of the asset.
                              Heck, Ive even seen people complaining a refund for the engine montly payment because " there was no game installed and it didnt work propertly" back when we had to pay a montly fee to get the engine + updates.
                              Happy developing and learning...
                              Regards,
                              Akalovemaker

Comment

Originally posted by akalovemaker View Post
                                Uprentiss, I would highly suggest you to take a developer course. This template might help you learn some tricks. However, I highly suggest eveyone asking questions like the one you asked to learn to program first. This aint a plug/build lego type, that might work on probs or 3d assets but not in bluprints or c++.to answer your question, Do you mean just to create a level to make it open with this blueprint, lets say when you open multiplayer or single player (Open_Level "NameOfMap"?Yes, It'll be easy. It also depends on the code/blueprints set in your level.
                                Overall, just as a suggestion, learn how UE4 engine works first, then learn how to program videogames (c++, blueprints works too) any object oriented programming really would do.
                                After that do some small 3d and sound effects courses if you are a lonewolf developer.
                                Finally, you can purchase any assets and be happy with them.
                                This is just a suggestion, because you will encounter game breaking bugs and glitches that you will have to know how to fix. This template, I would mainly recomended for someone who has a base structure built and wants to learn a bit from this developer or an advanced developer who wants to decrease hours of work and build up/modify this system.
                                Im telling you all this because we've seen people just trying to refund assets just because "they dont work or not as advertised" when really some people dont know what they are doing and blame the creator of the asset.
                                Heck, Ive even seen people complaining a refund for the engine montly payment because " there was no game installed and it didnt work propertly" back when we had to pay a montly fee to get the engine + updates.
                                Happy developing and learning...
                                Regards,
                                Akalovemaker
                                Hey there. I just want to chime in and make a comment on some of your statements, as the author of this template...

Whilst your points about learning are definitely very valid, and I would always agree with anyone encouraging people to learn and make stuff their self, I do want to point out that there are already a number of games more than on their way to completion that used my template (the single player version) to fast track development. In fact, a number of them are made by artists who don't have the ability/know how to program and tools such as this allow them to focus on their skills as artist and still make something completely playable.

The multiplayer build that will be releasing soon is a complete rewrite of the template and has been created with a much more user-orientated focus, allowing for expansion and customisation beyond it's base features. That said, I am incredibly confident in saying that you could 100% take the product I will be releasing and not touch the logic at all and still come out with a huge variety of different style of survival games, simply by changing the included settings and adding in your own art assets.

The template has definitely been made with learning in mind, and I think the majority of customers do purchase things like this with the aim to learn from them more than anything, but I would also like to make sure that it's clear to everyone that the template is definitely intended for people to use as a base for their game, and I have endeavoured to make the feature set as all encompassing as possible. If you look at the feature set, look at the videos and trailers, and what you want is there already - then you could easily get away with making something without touching any of the logic/code. MOST people are going to want to customise/extend the template to at least some degree, and where possible I have made all known allowances for this and will continue to support people (as I have with the single player build) in pointing them in the right direction on how to make the changes they desire.

I just wanted to clarify because it is definitely entirely possible to take a level you have, set up the SGT as you see fit and mash the two together and have something entirely playable, and if you are happy with the feature set and mechanics of the base template, then it would satisfy your needs without ever needing to write a single line of code or touch any blueprint nodes at all. I have not had a single refund request for this product since it's launch and I intend to keep it this way by ensuring a high quality product and even higher quality support.

Comment

Working...
                                X