Multiplayer Survival Game Template

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vaelek View Post
    Great work! Been playing around with this for a couple days now. Is there an ETA on the documentation?
    Documentation is more or less finished... I just need to add in a few things that have come up recently and proof read it all *yawn*... I am about to send the current version to all of the Gumroad purchasers. Should help get a little feedback on anythign I've missed or made more complicated than it needed to be! So check your inbox in about 5-10 minutes

Comment

Awesome. Lots to read over

I had just started adding these systems to my project when I stumbled on your template. I have a couple of suggestions based on the direction I'll be going..

Clothing modifier: Have a variable that acts as a multiplier on the rate of body temp change, and possibly the min/max
      Rate of change: Take into account the temperature difference. If the player is at 98F and the air temp is 20F, the player temp should decrease at a faster rate than if the air was 70F for example.
      Wetness: Another multiplier based on the wetness value of the player
      Humidity: A multiplier that would effect the rate of cooldown from >98.6F (Though I don't believe there is any mechanic in here currently to enable cooling the player under any condition other than a lower air temp)
      Wind / Wind Chill: I don't believe there is any mechanic for wind effects on air temp or change rate. Along with this, a 'blocking' value that can be set indicating a percentage of the wind that is being blocked.
      Local Heat: Able to be set based on surrounding objects (eg standing next to a fire), would add/subtract to/from the air temp as appropriate (via Interface?)
      Consuming food/drink having a short term effect on player temp

I never really got started on this piece, but detection of whether or not the player is in a shadow as another factor.

My original aim was to hit as much realism as possible so some of this may be beyond your desired scope. As long as my old project is still working, I have BPF's for accurately calculating heat index and wind chill that I'd be happy to share.

Comment

Awesome. Lots to read over

I had just started adding these systems to my project when I stumbled on your template. I have a couple of suggestions based on the direction I'll be going..

Clothing modifier: Have a variable that acts as a multiplier on the rate of body temp change, and possibly the min/max
        Rate of change: Take into account the temperature difference. If the player is at 98F and the air temp is 20F, the player temp should decrease at a faster rate than if the air was 70F for example.
        Wetness: Another multiplier based on the wetness value of the player
        Humidity: A multiplier that would effect the rate of cooldown from >98.6F (Though I don't believe there is any mechanic in here currently to enable cooling the player under any condition other than a lower air temp)
        Wind / Wind Chill: I don't believe there is any mechanic for wind effects on air temp or change rate. Along with this, a 'blocking' value that can be set indicating a percentage of the wind that is being blocked.
        Local Heat: Able to be set based on surrounding objects (eg standing next to a fire), would add/subtract to/from the air temp as appropriate (via Interface?)
        Consuming food/drink having a short term effect on player temp

I never really got started on this piece, but detection of whether or not the player is in a shadow as another factor.

My original aim was to hit as much realism as possible so some of this may be beyond your desired scope. As long as my old project is still working, I have BPF's for accurately calculating heat index and wind chill that I'd be happy to share.
        Hey Vaelek. All of those mechanics are great ideas for survival games... but a large number of them can already be achieved with the systems in place. It's important to remember that the system is a template providing a set of mechanics and systems for you to build with. As such - the things you can do go far beyond just what is demonstrated in the example level. I might grab a couple of your suggestions and do a quick tutorial or two at some point, demoing how you can use the template to make expanded systems

For the record - the rate of change does happen as is. The body temperature changes as a percentage of the difference between the body and the world. This means that if the difference between the two is large, then the body temperature will change at a larger rate, ie. more rapidly

Local heat can also be sorted using the master volume that is included One of the main things I have forgotten in the documentation is using volumes, so I'll be sure to get that sorted before release!

Things like the clothing modifier and wetness modifier would be very easy to add in though. As would the consuming food/drink effects. As for the others - they wouldn't be particularly hard, depending on your system obviously. Oh, and using the master volume you can indeed cool the player below the air temperature! I will definitely need to document these volumes so thank you for highlighting that!

As mentioned, I'll try and take examples like yours for some "expanding the template" tutorials at some point

Comment

I couldn't wait any longer for the Marketplace release so I bought it through Gumroad a day or two ago lol been playing around with it and I must say, it's absolutely brilliant mate, I love it! How can I download the documentation? It didn't seem to come with it in the zip I downloaded.

Comment

Originally posted by itsalwayssummer View Post
            I couldn't wait any longer for the Marketplace release so I bought it through Gumroad a day or two ago lol been playing around with it and I must say, it's absolutely brilliant mate, I love it! How can I download the documentation? It didn't seem to come with it in the zip I downloaded.
            Haha don't worry, I would have done the same thing with something I was keen on XD Thank you very much for the kind words! I really appreciate all the comments I get on the template.

As for the documentation, as it's not entirely finished I just sent it out in an email to all purchasees. Check you inbox.... now! (or whenever the internet gods see fit for it to arrive there XD)

Comment

Just an update to the post guys... Epic have given me a release date now and I've updated the OP. The template will hit the UE4 Marketplace on February the 3rd! One week to go... Guess I had better get that documentation and new trailer/video finished! Ha!

Comment

awesome! Will purchase on marketplace.

Comment

Originally posted by PXDN View Post
                  awesome! Will purchase on marketplace.
                  Glad you are excited XD Hopefully everything will go smoothly with the marketplace haha

Comment

Everything has been finalised for release tomorrow, a new trailer was added to my youtube channel (and the OP here), and a bugfix update was pushed to Gumroad. Saddle up cause here we go XD

Comment

Originally posted by apoisonedgift View Post
                      Everything has been finalised for release tomorrow, a new trailer was added to my youtube channel (and the OP here), and a bugfix update was pushed to Gumroad. Saddle up cause here we go XD
                      Could I bother you for what was fixed so I don't have to compare everything? I've got too many modifications at this point to easily just re-apply them to the updated version.

Thanks!

Comment

Could I bother you for what was fixed so I don't have to compare everything? I've got too many modifications at this point to easily just re-apply them to the updated version.

Thanks!
                        Sure thing. The changelog is as follows (was sent out in the email to you). If you need I can email you screenshots with specific detail on how to apply the fixes yourself

Changelog:

Fixed issue making all other open widgets close when players closed a book
                        Added health decay to overheating and freezing effects
                        Added player text message to overheating and freezing effects
                        Fixed issue where using temperature volumes broke temperature system due to incorrect BOOLEAN setting
                        Added DN_SunRise and DN_SunSet events, used to fade the sun in and out to stop sunlight shining through landscape and meshes at night time.
                        Moved Set CalcsComplete to true in SGT_Calculations to end of final sequence rather than first sequence
                        Fixed issue where player could break sleep system and get stuck in infinite sleep cycle
                        Fixed issue stopping inventory sizes being upgraded correctly with bag items

Comment

You make some good work! support network ?

Comment

Originally posted by Ymir View Post
                            You make some good work! support network ?
                            Currently no... however I've just started on a total overhaul of the system that will include MP. No idea on a ETA and I'll be supporting this version in the meantime, but MP is definitely coming I can not 100% confirm this.

Comment

Originally posted by apoisonedgift View Post
                              Sure thing. The changelog is as follows (was sent out in the email to you). If you need I can email you screenshots with specific detail on how to apply the fixes yourself

Changelog:

Fixed issue making all other open widgets close when players closed a book
                              Added health decay to overheating and freezing effects
                              Added player text message to overheating and freezing effects
                              Fixed issue where using temperature volumes broke temperature system due to incorrect BOOLEAN setting
                              Added DN_SunRise and DN_SunSet events, used to fade the sun in and out to stop sunlight shining through landscape and meshes at night time.
                              Moved Set CalcsComplete to true in SGT_Calculations to end of final sequence rather than first sequence
                              Fixed issue where player could break sleep system and get stuck in infinite sleep cycle
                              Fixed issue stopping inventory sizes being upgraded correctly with bag items
                              Screenshots would be awesome if not too much trouble, otherwise even pointing me to the changed areas of the BP's would be a big help to zone in on the changes and I can just compare the relevant sections.

Thanks!

Comment

Original post just got updated with a sweet tasty Marketplace link XD We are live!

Link is also here.

Comment

Working...
                                X