No announcement yet.

Multiplayer Survival Game Template

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wanted to take this oppurtunity to drop a link in here to the cool Foliage Interaction System by discord user and MSGT customer Hulken. This system allows you to take foliage instances and convert them into harvestable actors in your project. Hulken built it with the MSGT in mind, though it also operates on its own. Regardless, he has kindly taken the time to create a sleek tutorial on how to integrate the two packs together, in case you were interested in this.

Why would anyone care?

Harvesting nodes in the template are actors. This means that you need to hand place them, or use a spawning volume to spawn them into the world. In many cases, this is adequate and fine, but in large scale open worlds, it can be quite annoying, time consuming and processor heavy (in the case of randomised spawning). Hulken's system allows you to use the foliage placement tools and foliage spawning volumes natively included in Unreal Engine 4 and utilise these to create harvestable nodes. It doesn't just have to be trees - it can be rocks, or anything really.

How much does the system cost?

Hulken's Foliage Interaction System is currently avaialble via Gumroad for cool €15.

Why isn't this included in the template by default?

Like every system in the template - a decision has to be made on where to draw the line on elaborating on the features. By makin gmore specific features, the systems and mechanics in the template inevitably become less versatile and adaptable. For this reason, some features, such as the harvesting nodes, have deliberately been kept more simple than may be necessary in some specific use cases.

Does this support multiplayer?

Yes, it does.

Hulken has submitted his system to the UE4 marketplace as well, but with the current rate of review and release for packages, who knows when it might hit there. For those who want to get this system hooked up now, please be sure to check out his Gumroad page!

Comment

Hello, I'm about to buy this template but I'm scared that I won't be able to plug it to Steam framework. Are there any tutorials planned for this? Or if I follow this tutorial and apply it to your template, do you think it will work? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPakLkxc6f0

Sorry for the totally newb questions here. I'm familiar with BP and Unreal but not the networking part of it ^^
      Last edited by muclem; 07-18-2017, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by muclem View Post
        Hello, I'm about to buy this template but I'm scared that I won't be able to plug it to Steam framework. Are there any tutorials planned for this? Or if I follow this tutorial and apply it to your template, do you think it will work? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPakLkxc6f0

Sorry for the totally newb questions here. I'm familiar with BP and Unreal but not the networking part of it ^^
        No need to apologise

I must confess to not really having messed with steam integration too much, as I can't natively support it in the package (requires a small amount of code, not blueprints).

However, I know that there are a few wonderful solutions available, ranging from in-depth tutorials through to free plugins, through to the amazing UWorks plugin, which is personally the route I would recommend.

What I can offer is that there are a sizable number of my customers who are using the template with steam projects and I've not had anyone come to me for help with it, so I imagine it can't be too difficult. But if you did run into troubles, I have an excellent community of discord users who all help each other and offer far more extended help than I ever could - you're welcome to join them and ask for pointers if you get stuck, or even ask for input before purchasing if you like You can join the discord server via the following link: https://discord.gg/Fx2B6Q9

Hope that helps a bit

Comment

Now that the multiplayer version of the template has been out for around 5 months, we are starting to see some nice projects pop up using it. I'm hoping, as time goes by, to show off some of them as they are being made as a way to promote the work of my customers, as well as demonstrate the versatility of the template.

As such, I've taken to the MSGT Hub and written a post featuring one of the promising projects currently in development, Just Us. Naturally I got full permission from the developer to do this little write up before going ahead with it, but it's a great showcase of how someone can take the template and make a really cool game with it. Dry Eel Development have already made huge progress in the development of their game, and it's shaping up to be a great title. Check out the following link for more info:

Just Us Project Spotlight via the MSGT Hub

If you have a project that was made using the MSGT and would like to be considered for being featured similarly to this, please contact me!

Comment

Hey guys. All of my stuff is 50% off in the marketplace Summer Sale at the moment, which means that a number of you are asking questions about things like how to integrate my Newtonian pack into the MSGT. Truth be told - this is literally a drag and drop operation as Newtonian is INCREDIBLY easy to set up in your project, but due to popular request, I decided to go ahead and make an integration tutorial on the process anyways, just to cover a few points The entire video, which covers creating the project, adding Newtonian to it, integrating Newtonian, configuring the template health to work with it and testing it, is only 5 minutes long - so I'd recommend taking a look at it if you are at all unsure or on the fence about this one Cheers!

Please note that whilst the MSGT includes it's own falling damage system, it is very simplistic. Newtonian provides a full physics-based momentum-powered system that allows for players to take damage based on the G forces they are experiencing. This means falls, rapid deceleration or acceleration, or being thrown fast into a wall or other stationary fixed object causes damage appropriately. Likewise, use of physics volumes in water and other areas can help to lower or negate the damage by cushioning the deceleration and lowering the G forces the player experiences. For more, please see this video, covering how Newtonian works in detail.

Comment

With a lot of people picking up the template during the sale, I'm getting a lot of emails and questions about what is planned for the template in the future. Whilst there has been a little while since the last update dropped, I want to reassure everyone that there is plenty of content coming to the template in the future. I am currently working on quite a large update that will include, among other things, a building system. The update, as well as any future updates, will always be completely free of charge, meaning if you pick up the template now during the sale (50% off), you will get all future content also

For more information on the stuff that is planned to be added to the template, or at least under consideration, please refer to the official MSGT Trello Roadmap. Thanks!

Comment

I can help with the Steam support. It is supported by default as Steam requires you to include the Steam library and then wire in the achievements manually. So this is very easy to actually do and if necessary, I could step you through the process of getting this wired in to Steam.

In essence this pack would have no impact on Steam and will definitely work with Steam.
                Quinton Delpeche
                Founder - Gobbo Games | Designer - The Colony 2174 (Board Game) | Developer - Riders of Asgard

Comment

Originally posted by qdelpeche View Post
                  I can help with the Steam support. It is supported by default as Steam requires you to include the Steam library and then wire in the achievements manually. So this is very easy to actually do and if necessary, I could step you through the process of getting this wired in to Steam.

In essence this pack would have no impact on Steam and will definitely work with Steam.
                  That's super kind of you to offer people assistance like that

Comment

Originally posted by apoisonedgift View Post
                    That's super kind of you to offer people assistance like that
                    It is my pleasure.

Now I need some help, I have integrated Newtonian and it works well, but I am getting some log errors when I die due to falling damage.

Error Blueprint Runtime Error: Accessed None trying to read property CallFunc_K2_GetPawn_ReturnValue from function: 'GetPawnMC' from node: Return Node in graph: GetPawnMC in object: BP_NewtonianManager with description: Accessed None trying to read property CallFunc_K2_GetPawn_ReturnValue

Error Blueprint Runtime Error: Accessed None trying to read property CallFunc_GetPawnMC_MovementComponent2 from function: 'TestForce' from node: Set VCurrent in graph: TestForce in object: BP_NewtonianManager with description: Accessed None trying to read property CallFunc_GetPawnMC_MovementComponent2
                    I am not sure what is going on here, hopefully you can help.

I also modified my aim code for the EZ Ballistics mod, in my game you can only shoot when looking down sights ... so it was relatively simple to make a fix for that on my side.
                    Quinton Delpeche
                    Founder - Gobbo Games | Designer - The Colony 2174 (Board Game) | Developer - Riders of Asgard

Comment

Sorry, couple of more quick questions ... okay only one really because I answered my other questions myself.

1. Where do you specify damage for a weapon?
                      Quinton Delpeche

Comment

Sorry, couple of more quick questions ... okay only one really because I answered my other questions myself.

1. Where do you specify damage for a weapon?
                        Just signing off to go to bed, sick AF today... so I'll have to get to the Newtonian stuff in the morning, health allowing. The damage for a weapon is specified in the items datatable using the "UseableDamage" field. Screenshot is available here: http://prntscr.com/g04cc0

The issues with newtonian shouldn't really be happening, but I will definitely get back to you tomorrow on that one. Must have missed an is valid or something somewhere please watch this space!

PS - no need to apologise about questions

Comment

It is my pleasure.

Now I need some help, I have integrated Newtonian and it works well, but I am getting some log errors when I die due to falling damage.

I am not sure what is going on here, hopefully you can help.
                          Apologies for this one - it turns out I did, indeed, miss one validity check. I will be submitting an update to Epic in the next day or two (after doing some testing to see if there are any others missed like this), but in the meantime you can fix this up yourself if you so desire by adding the following 3 nodes into the TestForce function within BP_NewtonianManager:

Click image for larger version

Name:	NkVopqKyRPqM2GALi7INzA.png
Views:	2
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	1131559

Comment

Perfect ... thank you very much ... you sir are a gentleman and a scholar. 8-}

I hope you are feeling better and thank you for the quick response and fix. This seems to have brought in another bug.

Error Blueprint Runtime Error: Accessed None trying to read property CallFunc_K2_GetPawn_ReturnValue from function: 'GetPawnMC' from node: Return Node in graph: GetPawnMC in object: BP_NewtonianManager with description: Accessed None trying to read property CallFunc_K2_GetPawn_ReturnValue
                            What I did to test this was: Add your fix from above and then merely move my spawn points in to the air and let the player fall to their death. The game then lets me respawn but after I exit, I have these messages now.

Ah yes ... now I remember what my second question is ... on the EZ Ballistics integration, the Damage on the bullet_tracer uses the length of the vector ... this is doing damage upwards of 500 ... meaning one shot kills. How would I actually use the damage of the weapon and pass that to the projectile?
                            Last edited by qdelpeche; 07-27-2017, 01:34 AM.
                            Quinton Delpeche

Comment

Perfect ... thank you very much ... you sir are a gentleman and a scholar. 8-}

I hope you are feeling better and thank you for the quick response and fix. This seems to have brought in another bug.

What I did to test this was: Add your fix from above and then merely move my spawn points in to the air and let the player fall to their death. The game then lets me respawn but after I exit, I have these messages now.
                              Hmm odd. When I was doing the prior fix for you I honestly EXPECTED that error but didn't get it haha... I get it now. There's no real issue here - basically Newtonian is just trying to look for changes in momentum on a dead character. It won't break anything, just give some errors. I'm still incredibly ill, so I'll have to ask a little patience. In the meantime, there's no reason you can't just continue to use it - the errors will only occur in the time between your character dying and them respawning and are basically just warnings I will have a fix for you, and Newtonian in general, as soon as I can manage it

Ah yes ... now I remember what my second question is ... on the EZ Ballistics integration, the Damage on the bullet_tracer uses the length of the vector ... this is doing damage upwards of 500 ... meaning one shot kills. How would I actually use the damage of the weapon and pass that to the projectile?
                              Ah okay. This comes down to how Easy Ballistics is designed more than anything. It is designed with realism in mind, and obviously the speed of the bullet, IRL, is what causes the damage. In order to utilise the database information to control weapon damage, you would need to parse the values through to EB and override the damage on impact. Again, I'm more than happy to assist here, I'm just not currently in a great state to be putting my head into UE4 haha. Hope you understand and don't mind a short delay. This virus has been very annoying -.-

Comment

Just to address the above issue [MENTION=22376]qdelpeche[/MENTION] had with Newtonian, in case anyone has been following along - I've submitted an update for Newtonian to Epic just now that will resolve this issue Thanks for your patience and understanding in this matter. The errors showing up are not indicative of anything particularly wrong, they are just warnings. Nevertheless, I don't like that either XD So they have been fixed!

Comment

Working...
                                X