No announcement yet.

Multiplayer Survival Game Template

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just jumping in here to announce that I am writing up the winners of the giveaway of this template right now, so be sure to check out this post in a matter of minutes for that information!

Also - the Multiplayer Survival Game Template is now on it's first sale (as the MSGT anyway) at a rate of 25% off for two weeks! This is the only currently planned sale for the near future, so I've given it a wide time frame so people can take advantage of it! Please note that in order to get the discount on Gumroad, you will need to access it via this link or using the discount code "marchsale2017" - which is live now and ready to go (as is the marketplace build available here!)

If you've been holding out to pick up the template, now could be the time

Finally - there will be an update, both to the documentation and the template itself, coming sometime in the next week or two. I've been busy with some contract work and finishing up work on a new pack but there's a heap of documentation just waiting some final touches to publish and a number of smaller bugs have been reported (particularly in the 4.15 build) so that will drop, hopefully with one or two new features too

As always, thank you very much for all the support guys!

Comment

Version 1.0.0.7 of the Multiplayer Survival Game Template has just been made available via Gumroad and submitted to Epic for updating in the marketplace soon! Update 1.0.0.7 is a semi-major bugfix update with a heap of quality of life improvements. Full details on the fixes included are available here: http://survivalgame.site/?p=291

Version 1.0.0.7 also marks the first version under 4.15 that is 100% compatible with the newly implemented non-experimental Blueprint Nativisation system Epic added to the engine. This increases performance of blueprint based projects immensely and is a great fit for the MSGT given the complexity of all the interacting systems!

Please note that as of this version, 4.13 will no longer be actively developed. If major game-breaking bugs are found, they will be resolved where possible, but 4.13 will no longer receive new features/additions or minor bug fixes. As a result, the next version of the template will receive a minor version numerical upgrade, making it 1.0.1.0 to signify this change.

Why am I dropping active development for the 4.13 build?

Because of the complex nature of a template like this, with so many systems that work together, I have to actively develop multiple development builds. This means that when it comes time to implement new features and bug fixes, a lot of times, because of Unreal Engine’s unreliable version conversion process, I have to do the process for 4.13, then again for 4.14 and again now for 4.15. Sometimes things can simply be copied over, but most of the time this results in errors. As a result, I will endeavour to always actively work with the current version of UE4, and the one prior, but unless Epic change the conversion process to be more reliable, I will likely only ever run two actively developed builds.

What does this mean for the future of the 4.14 and 4.15 versions of the MSGT?

Nothing. They will continue to be developed and expanded as expected. I will also continue to, wherever possible, post images showing how bug fixes are applied, meaning that a lot of the changes will be able to be done by you yourself if you are working under 4.13. Likewise, if you need support for anything under 4.13 I will still offer support and resolve issues with you as per normal. I'm not dropping full support of the 4.13 build, just not actively expanding on it's systems anymore.

Regarding the future of the template - I will be looking to get onto some of the more meaty feature additions now that this bug fix is out and my other new pack is undergoing Epic's submission process Hopefully will have some exciting things to show sometime in the near future. I also intend on jumping into the Orbit integration tomorrow now that the calender update has dropped, as well as the TrueSky integration tutorial. A number of people have been requesting tips on how to get some of the vehicle packages implemented into the template, so I will also be looking at those asap! Lots of stuff coming

Remember, the template is still 25% off until March the 14th! So if you have been lurking in the shadows waiting to make the game of your dreams, now might be the time to take a look

As always - if anyone comes up with missed bugs or issues, please be sure to let me know asap! Ideally via http://support.dapperraptor.xyz rather than here or on the marketplace page, but anywhere is better than no where! Cheers!

Comment

Hey Guys. Just letting you know that I've done a video on how to integrate the excellent system, Orbit Weather and Seasons, by [MENTION=25181]hippowombat[/MENTION] , into the Multiplayer Survival Game Template.

Please note that, in it's current state, Orbit has a lot of features that run clientside, and will not be suited to multiplayer use (the author has indicated he would like to get Orbit working with multiplayer, but there is currently no ETA on when this may happen - honestly, the system is amazing and for it's insanely low price I don't think anyone has any right to complain! Just my thoughts though :P). Things such as weather, lightning, etc. are all based on at least some randomisation, and as such these will need to be disabled where possible, or stripped out, of the Orbit system in order to use Orbit in multiplayer. As such - I would recommend using Orbit primarily in singleplayer projects, where it really does shine and offer a hugely versatile system for enhancing your world to a much higher degree than any of the other day/night cycles or weather systems I've used. That said - if you wish to use it in multiplayer, for it's visual quality, you could do so but you will need to work out what systems can/can't be used. The tutorial I have done has the Multiplayer Survival Game Template controlling the actual time of day, but plugging into Orbit's visuals, so the time of day will definitely be okay (which also means that features such as the calender and such should be good to go). Much more testing will be required to ascertain exactly what of Orbit's systems can easily be setup for multiplayer use.

The tutorial sets up time of day, controlled by the MSGT, and uses Orbit's temperature system to control the MSGT's world temperature, impacting the player in that regard. Please note that this tutorial should not be considered a replacement for the excellent documentation provided for the Orbit system, and does not cover, in any way, the options available in that system. During this tutorial, I leave Orbit at, more or less, it's default settings, resulting in a visual suited much more to highly stylized art styles. This tutorial should not be consider a demonstration of Orbit or what it can achieve, and that is best left to things such as the systems own trailer. Also - this tutorial recreates part of Orbit's own integration tutorial, but does not go into any depth over why certain settings are done, or what other options are available, so I strongly suggest that, before watching my tutorial, you watch the author's own setup tutorial to get a handle on Orbit, it's various systems, and why things are done the way they are during integration.

Let me know if you run into any issues, or have any other tutorial requests! The next two should be TruSky, and hopefully a vehicle system integration using one of the marketplace vehicle systems (due to popular request). And remember, the template is on sale (25% off) for a few more days

Comment

NOTICE: This tutorial has now been updated with a new version, including fixes for the aiming issue. I'm leaving this here as some people will likely have linked to it in bookmarks and such, but please see THIS POST for more information and updated links!

Hey guys. I've done another integration tutorial for the Multiplayer Survival Game Template, this time integrating the EasyBallistics Plugin to get some nice realistic projectiles running in the template! Please note: there is a tiny little hitch with it that I am currently waiting on hearing back from the author of the plugin to see if I can resolve and update the tutorial, of if we could possibly work something into a future update... But it's working more or less as intended and should make for a nice point to dive off into! Enjoy!

Only two more days for the 25% off sale
          Last edited by apoisonedgift; 03-24-2017, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Just gonna drop this in here... 80.lv, a site dedicated to following the games industry, particularly the dev side of it, did an interview with me about the state of Survival Games, what makes good survival games and any advice I have for people making survival games... I don't think I'm a supreme authority on the topic at all, but it was fun answering their questions!

You can read the full interview, which is quite lengthy, over here: https://80.lv/articles/working-out-multiplayer-survival-genre/

Comment

hello there um just a note when your in the test map your ai don't shoot an also you cant kill ai also? is this a bug?

Comment

Originally posted by Bioware View Post
                hello there um just a note when your in the test map your ai don't shoot an also you cant kill ai also? is this a bug?
                Hey there. This is, indeed, a bug present only in the 4.15 build. Epic have had an update submitted to them over a week ago but still haven't updated the marketplace files with it. I've tried contacting them about this and also have not received a response to THAT. I'm not really sure what is going on but I am trying to get this sorted...

In the meantime, you can jump into the SurvivalCharacter blueprint AND the BP_SGT_NPC_Example01 blueprint and change the collision settings on the mesh - Epic changed the defaults for the Ragdoll channel without notice (as far as I can tell). Change it from Ragdoll to Custom and ensure that the settings are as shown in this screenshot http://prntscr.com/ek1wqg

There are a number of other bugs that have been fixed in the coming update, which you can read about here. Sadly there's just nothing I can do with Epic being unresponsive... I will keep trying though.

Comment

Okay thanks

Comment

Just an update to the above message... Epic have got back to me and have got the update being processed, so it should be available via the launcher within a matter of hours hopefully. Once again, apologies for any inconvenience.

Comment

Okay guys, 1.0.0.7 has been applied to the Multiplayer Survival Game Template in the UE4 launcher! Apologies for the delay, but it appears that my file submission to Epic got lost in the ether XD All sorted now. I will have more to announced on another update soon

As always, any issues, please contact me or use http://support.dapperraptor.xyz to get in touch!

Comment

Hey guys. Just uploaded another integration tutorial. This one covers how to integrate your own custom character mesh, by looking at the excellent Enforcer Rig character. Given that this character comes with multiple modular pieces, we also took advantage of this to create some armor pieces, so this tutorial doubles as an explanation of how to create new armor pickups! As always, if you have any suggestions for tutorial videos, particularly ones that cover integration of other packs, please let me know and I'll get to them asap!

I've also created a section in the OP listing all the tutorial videos so there is a central location on this thread, as well as at http://survivalgame.site, for people to find them

Comment

Hey guys. So I have a number more integration tutorials coming soon - and my inbox is filling up with people asking about them XD But unfortunately my internet has died (2 days now ) so until it's up I can't really do too much. Hopefully will have some soon though. Let me know if there are particular packs you are interested in seeing covered

Comment

Hi [MENTION=5960]apoisonedgift[/MENTION]

I loved your Multiplayer Survival Game Template, Certainly Is at the top of my list!. The inventory is very similar the [MENTION=39476]Pirate[/MENTION]`s Action RPG Inventory System, a great inventory. I need the [MENTION=39476]Pirate[/MENTION] inventory?, or Multiplayer Survival Game is a complete template including a fully inventory system implemented?

Another question: for [MENTION=39476]Pirate[/MENTION]`s Action RPG Inventory System on the equipment container things like defense (def.), statistics and rating, for equipment like helmets, boots, armor, etc have not any functionality linked or implemented. In your template these functions already are available?
                            lunybunny.com
                            lunybunny.com

Comment

Originally posted by lunyBunny View Post
                              Hi [MENTION=5960]apoisonedgift[/MENTION]

I loved your Multiplayer Survival Game Template, Certainly Is at the top of my list!. The inventory is very similar the [MENTION=39476]Pirate[/MENTION]`s Action RPG Inventory System, a great inventory. I need the [MENTION=39476]Pirate[/MENTION] inventory?, or Multiplayer Survival Game is a complete template including a fully inventory system implemented?

Another question: for [MENTION=39476]Pirate[/MENTION]`s Action RPG Inventory System on the equipment container things like defense (def.), statistics and rating, for equipment like helmets, boots, armor, etc have not any functionality linked or implemented. In your template these functions already are available?
                              Hey there.

You can definitely use the template without any external inventory system Pirate's system is great, and you can implement it into the MSGT if you want, however, the MSGT comes complete with it's own inventory system, set up with weapons, armor, linked to the hunger system, thirst system, etc. (so that when you use items the correct thing happens) and such, so I would recommend taking a look at the included inventory before you try to implement his system as well.

As for stats - the equipment, by default, has an armor rating (defence) and will soon be getting a temperature alteration rating. But everything is made with the intent to be expanded upon, so it is incredibly easy to add extra stats to it if you wanted to as well. Hope that satisfactorily answers your questions Always happy to offer help with any expansion (within reason) as well!

Comment

An updated version of the EasyBallistics integration tutorial has been uploaded to my YouTube channel and includes two fixes for the issues presented in the first version. Apologies on the delay - but internet going down for most of a week threw a spanner in the works! Expect more integration tutorials in the coming days Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                                X