• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Awesome, man. Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    dresyn2k8 Here is the tutorial for converting your project into Third Person: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing.

For the gameplay demo, there was also an additional modification that was made to the AI Behavior Trees to make their movement appear smooth in Third Person when the AI guards lose track of the player. I'll be adding it to the toolkit as a mini update tomorrow, but since the changes are relatively minor, will be sharing the screenshots for the same. I'd suggest making those changes to your projects as well after the tutorial.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by dresyn2k8 View Post
    A lot of what I'm asking I can figure out for myself if i quit putting the cart ahead of the horse haha. I know you did the TPS with the mouse controlling the camera, so I just need to go in and change the input more than likely.

The state machine is about what I had gathered as well. I've got the starter pack and then some with Reallusion, so I think I'll be good on that front. Just wanted to make sure I understood where everything was. Hope the state machine wouldn't interfere with anything already in the kit.
    The TPS part involves only some minor changes here and there, but yea mostly just changing the camera settings and replacing input logic. I'll be covering all of that in the tutorial.

As of now, I can't think of the state machine having any adverse effect on the existing systems. The only communication between the animation blueprint and the rest of the toolkit is the animation notifies to produce footstep noises when the player feet touches the ground. But that exists in the Event Graph. So anything you do in a state machine shouldn't affect that behavior. But if you do run into a situation where it breaks any existing systems, just let me know.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    A lot of what I'm asking I can figure out for myself if i quit putting the cart ahead of the horse haha. I know you did the TPS with the mouse controlling the camera, so I just need to go in and change the input more than likely.

The state machine is about what I had gathered as well. I've got the starter pack and then some with Reallusion, so I think I'll be good on that front. Just wanted to make sure I understood where everything was. Hope the state machine wouldn't interfere with anything already in the kit.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    nvm you've posted these multiple times(re: migration)

What I am now wondering currently is finding:

The state machine, for adding more states for the player, ie: crouching, crouch walk, prone, crawling, cover

As well as: segmenting the vision cones. So may 50% of the cone, if the players finds themselves in this, immediate alert, where as if you're in the out most parts it's a "who or what was that?"

Also, using a dynamic camera, with full movement and camera control, imagine like using joystick 1 and 2
    I'm assuming that you're referring to the animation state machine for the player. The default movement is limited to Idle/Walk/Run + Aiming in 2D, all of which can be found in the following blueprints: ABP_Parent, ABP_PlayerChar_Basic (only keyboard based control), & ABP_PlayerChar_ASP (keyboard+mouse based control. They all get the work done through basic blendspaces. But since you're going for multiple player states, it would require adding a state machine in these blueprints. If you don't own any animation packs, I'd suggest copying over the state machine logic from Epic's free Animation Starter Pack.

Regarding the segmented vision cones, the AI was designed around hard segmentation (either can see or cannot see at all) since 2D line of sight zones is Top Down games are great at portraying that. So I'll go over it and let you know what can be done to change that.

As for the dynamic camera, I'm not sure I grasped the process of using joystick 1 and 2. Did you have an example in mind?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Awesome man, thanks. If you could upload that tutorial it would be much appreciated. I would imagine while the aiming and shooting may not work out of the box, we could tinker and add it in.This seems much more Volume-like than MGS1, but they're so similar thats why your kit drew my attention.
    Well, you're right about that. I started this project right around the time Volume was released and it was a huge inspiration for the overall design of the toolkit. But since the AI was very limited in that design, it later got an upgrade bringing it more along the lines of what was implemented in Mark of the Ninja.

I'll upload the Third Person tutorial later today. Will share the link here. As for the aiming/shooting mechanics, I think it would mainly involve using aim offsets to control the animation. So most of the major changes would be in the animation blueprint with some relatively minor changes in the player character/controller as well.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    nvm you've posted these multiple times(re: migration)

What I am now wondering currently is finding:

The state machine, for adding more states for the player, ie: crouching, crouch walk, prone, crawling, cover

As well as: segmenting the vision cones. So may 50% of the cone, if the players finds themselves in this, immediate alert, where as if you're in the out most parts it's a "who or what was that?"

Also, using a dynamic camera, with full movement and camera control, imagine like using joystick 1 and 2
    Last edited by dresyn2k8; 08-02-2020, 01:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Awesome man, thanks. If you could upload that tutorial it would be much appreciated. I would imagine while the aiming and shooting may not work out of the box, we could tinker and add it in.This seems much more Volume-like than MGS1, but they're so similar thats why your kit drew my attention.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks, I'll probably be purchasing tomorrow when I get up and around. Appreciate your clarifying.
    Hey, I was able to get most of the basic systems working in a third person perspective. Here's a Dropbox link to a playable gameplay demo with the third person modifications: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3t2bg7bowp...onTest.7z?dl=0. I'd suggest you take it for a spin and see if it matches your design criteria. If you're interested, just let me know. I'll upload a tutorial showing how to make the necessary changes.

As mentioned, aiming weapons don't work, but you can move and look around in third person. The 2D Line of Sight visualization for patrol guards have been removed and the AI seems to be working as intended. I've added an elevated position and a waist high ledge for you to check out how the AI deal with those scenarios:

Click image for larger version  Name:	tdstelev.jpg Views:	0 Size:	166.6 KB ID:	1795636
    Click image for larger version  Name:	tdstledge.jpg Views:	0 Size:	168.8 KB ID:	1795637

Finally here are the input controls for the demo:
    • WASD: Movement
    • Mouse: Camera Control
    • Left Shift: Sprint
    • Q: Whiste to attract the attention of nearby AI guards
    • F: Activate Portable EMP to disable nearby Cameras & Turrets
    Last edited by Stormrage256; 08-01-2020, 08:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks, I'll probably be purchasing tomorrow when I get up and around. Appreciate your clarifying.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi dresyn2k8 , it's been quite a while since I've tried it out in FPS/TPS viewpoints, but at the very basic level it should work fine. There are definitely going to be certain elements like say, aiming, which is probably not going to work out of the box since they function differently in a top down scenario. As for the remaining elements like AI, I'll have to do some tests before giving you a more clear cut answer. So let me get back to you on that.

Yea, there's nothing stopping you from remapping the movement to a game pad.

As for the vision cones, the visualization itself is not suited to first/third person perspectives since it's a 2D representation of what the AI can or cannot see. And turning it off is as easy removing a couple of components (and any leftover references) in the enemy parent blueprint. But since this is a 3D project, the AI's true vision cone (what it actually sees) works the same as what you'd expect in any 3D game. So it doesn't matter whether the player is above it or below it, or behind a waist high ledge. As long as the trace fired from the AI to the player doesn't get blocked by something, it works as intended.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thinking of buying.

there is absolutely nothing preventing us from switching camera position to FPS or third person correct?

i see you've spoken about keyboards and mouses, nothing stopping us from mapping movement to a game pad?

I've been wondering about the vision cones, I'd like to turn them off, but I'm also wondering if they're able to spot in relation to height. If a vision cone runs into a waist high block with the character on the other side-- does the vision cone stop them from seeing the player clearly standing there? If the AI were on a 2nd story would their vision cone(if large enough) be able to spot the player on first level?
    Last edited by dresyn2k8; 07-31-2020, 11:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by JMHenriques View Post
    Hi Stormrage256,

I was thinking in buying this toolkit, but since I'm new in Unreal I want to see if there are tutorials on how to use it. I see in the first page some tutorials in our site but it seems the site doesn't exist...

Regards,
    Joao Henriques
    Hi Joao, thanks for bringing that to my attention. My blog domain had recently been changed from .in to .com, which caused all external references to become broken. All of the links have been corrected and you should now be able to go through all of the articles. If you're having any further doubts or run into trouble understanding some concept that is not listed here, you can always reach me here or through the support mail id.

- Rohit

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi Stormrage256,

I was thinking in buying this toolkit, but since I'm new in Unreal I want to see if there are tutorials on how to use it. I see in the first page some tutorials in our site but it seems the site doesn't exist...

Regards,
    Joao Henriques

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Norhaji View Post
    Is there way to decrees visual detection chase or disable response to visual perception? For example for equipping some sort of camouflage.
    Hey, you can create a cloaking system for your game by adding the following logic:

1. Create a new Blueprint Interface. Let's call it BPI_Cloaking and we'll add two functions to it:
    • OnDisarmCloak (No input/output parameters)
    • IsCloaked? (No input parameter; One boolean output parameter)

Click image for larger version  Name:	CloakInt.jpg Views:	0 Size:	290.5 KB ID:	1749350
    2. Open your Player Character blueprint add a new Boolean variable bCloaked to the blueprint. This variable will help us determine at any point if the player is cloaked or not.

3. Now have your Player Character blueprint implement the BPI_Cloaking interface and it's interface functions as shown below:

Click image for larger version  Name:	disarmcloak.jpg Views:	0 Size:	328.2 KB ID:	1749351

Click image for larger version  Name:	iscloaked.jpg Views:	0 Size:	326.0 KB ID:	1749352

4. With the interface taken care of, all that's left in the Player Character is to add the input event for turning on/off cloaking.

Click image for larger version  Name:	cloakinput.jpg Views:	0 Size:	328.7 KB ID:	1749353
    Here, you can add additional logic to handle setting of cloaking material and so on.

5. Now we move on to the AI side of the implementation. We'll start with adding a couple of new parameters to the struct Struct_VisualPerceptionData:
    • bCanDetectCloakedObjects? (Boolean)
    • CloakDetectionRadius (Float)
    The bCanDetectCloakedObjects? parameter can be used to have only certain AI agents be capable of short range cloak detection. For example, you can have the Patrol Guards have this feature and turn if off for Cameras.

6. Head over to the BPC_AIPerception blueprint and open the VisualPerceptionCheck function. We'll add the following logic as part of the Linear Distance check to ensure that the perception evaluates against different vision radii between normal and cloaked targets.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vispercnew.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	416.3 KB
ID:	1749360
    Basically the normal targets will be perceived at the default Vision Range where as Cloaked targets can be perceived only at the Cloak Detection Range.

7. Now select the AIPerception component within your BP_PatrolGuard_Parent blueprint, then set the bCanDetectCloakedObjects? to True, and CloakDetectionRadius to some value less than VisionRadius.

Click image for larger version  Name:	patrolcloakdet.jpg Views:	0 Size:	440.5 KB ID:	1749355

8. Finally we can make sure that when a cloaked target is detected, that it's cloak gets disarmed. If not, as soon as the player gets out of the small cloak detection range, the AI will be unable to see the player. So fire up the BP_AISensoryManager blueprint, open the EvaluateTargetsForAgent function, and call the OnDisarmCloak interface function (created in step 1) before setting a new Active Target.

Click image for larger version  Name:	aismdisarm.jpg Views:	0 Size:	404.5 KB ID:	1749356

And I believe that's all there is to it. Let me know if you have any doubts regarding the workflow.
    Last edited by Stormrage256; 04-23-2020, 04:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X