No announcement yet.

Top Down Stealth Toolkit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi dresyn2k8 , it's been quite a while since I've tried it out in FPS/TPS viewpoints, but at the very basic level it should work fine. There are definitely going to be certain elements like say, aiming, which is probably not going to work out of the box since they function differently in a top down scenario. As for the remaining elements like AI, I'll have to do some tests before giving you a more clear cut answer. So let me get back to you on that.

Yea, there's nothing stopping you from remapping the movement to a game pad.

As for the vision cones, the visualization itself is not suited to first/third person perspectives since it's a 2D representation of what the AI can or cannot see. And turning it off is as easy removing a couple of components (and any leftover references) in the enemy parent blueprint. But since this is a 3D project, the AI's true vision cone (what it actually sees) works the same as what you'd expect in any 3D game. So it doesn't matter whether the player is above it or below it, or behind a waist high ledge. As long as the trace fired from the AI to the player doesn't get blocked by something, it works as intended.
    Unreal Possibilities
    Wave Spawning System | Tower Defense Starter Kit | Grid Creation Systems

Comment

Thanks, I'll probably be purchasing tomorrow when I get up and around. Appreciate your clarifying.

Comment

Originally posted by dresyn2k8 View Post
        Thanks, I'll probably be purchasing tomorrow when I get up and around. Appreciate your clarifying.
        Hey, I was able to get most of the basic systems working in a third person perspective. Here's a Dropbox link to a playable gameplay demo with the third person modifications: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3t2bg7bowp...onTest.7z?dl=0. I'd suggest you take it for a spin and see if it matches your design criteria. If you're interested, just let me know. I'll upload a tutorial showing how to make the necessary changes.

As mentioned, aiming weapons don't work, but you can move and look around in third person. The 2D Line of Sight visualization for patrol guards have been removed and the AI seems to be working as intended. I've added an elevated position and a waist high ledge for you to check out how the AI deal with those scenarios:

Click image for larger version  Name:	tdstelev.jpg Views:	0 Size:	166.6 KB ID:	1795636
        Click image for larger version  Name:	tdstledge.jpg Views:	0 Size:	168.8 KB ID:	1795637

Finally here are the input controls for the demo:
        • WASD: Movement
        • Mouse: Camera Control
        • Left Shift: Sprint
        • Q: Whiste to attract the attention of nearby AI guards
        • F: Activate Portable EMP to disable nearby Cameras & Turrets
        Last edited by Stormrage256; 08-01-2020, 08:42 AM.
        Unreal Possibilities

Comment

Awesome man, thanks. If you could upload that tutorial it would be much appreciated. I would imagine while the aiming and shooting may not work out of the box, we could tinker and add it in.This seems much more Volume-like than MGS1, but they're so similar thats why your kit drew my attention.

Comment

nvm you've posted these multiple times(re: migration)

What I am now wondering currently is finding:

The state machine, for adding more states for the player, ie: crouching, crouch walk, prone, crawling, cover

As well as: segmenting the vision cones. So may 50% of the cone, if the players finds themselves in this, immediate alert, where as if you're in the out most parts it's a "who or what was that?"

Also, using a dynamic camera, with full movement and camera control, imagine like using joystick 1 and 2
            Last edited by dresyn2k8; 08-02-2020, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Awesome man, thanks. If you could upload that tutorial it would be much appreciated. I would imagine while the aiming and shooting may not work out of the box, we could tinker and add it in.This seems much more Volume-like than MGS1, but they're so similar thats why your kit drew my attention.
              Well, you're right about that. I started this project right around the time Volume was released and it was a huge inspiration for the overall design of the toolkit. But since the AI was very limited in that design, it later got an upgrade bringing it more along the lines of what was implemented in Mark of the Ninja.

I'll upload the Third Person tutorial later today. Will share the link here. As for the aiming/shooting mechanics, I think it would mainly involve using aim offsets to control the animation. So most of the major changes would be in the animation blueprint with some relatively minor changes in the player character/controller as well.
              Unreal Possibilities

Comment

nvm you've posted these multiple times(re: migration)

What I am now wondering currently is finding:

The state machine, for adding more states for the player, ie: crouching, crouch walk, prone, crawling, cover

As well as: segmenting the vision cones. So may 50% of the cone, if the players finds themselves in this, immediate alert, where as if you're in the out most parts it's a "who or what was that?"

Also, using a dynamic camera, with full movement and camera control, imagine like using joystick 1 and 2
                I'm assuming that you're referring to the animation state machine for the player. The default movement is limited to Idle/Walk/Run + Aiming in 2D, all of which can be found in the following blueprints: ABP_Parent, ABP_PlayerChar_Basic (only keyboard based control), & ABP_PlayerChar_ASP (keyboard+mouse based control. They all get the work done through basic blendspaces. But since you're going for multiple player states, it would require adding a state machine in these blueprints. If you don't own any animation packs, I'd suggest copying over the state machine logic from Epic's free Animation Starter Pack.

Regarding the segmented vision cones, the AI was designed around hard segmentation (either can see or cannot see at all) since 2D line of sight zones is Top Down games are great at portraying that. So I'll go over it and let you know what can be done to change that.

As for the dynamic camera, I'm not sure I grasped the process of using joystick 1 and 2. Did you have an example in mind?
                Unreal Possibilities

Comment

A lot of what I'm asking I can figure out for myself if i quit putting the cart ahead of the horse haha. I know you did the TPS with the mouse controlling the camera, so I just need to go in and change the input more than likely.

The state machine is about what I had gathered as well. I've got the starter pack and then some with Reallusion, so I think I'll be good on that front. Just wanted to make sure I understood where everything was. Hope the state machine wouldn't interfere with anything already in the kit.

Comment

A lot of what I'm asking I can figure out for myself if i quit putting the cart ahead of the horse haha. I know you did the TPS with the mouse controlling the camera, so I just need to go in and change the input more than likely.

The state machine is about what I had gathered as well. I've got the starter pack and then some with Reallusion, so I think I'll be good on that front. Just wanted to make sure I understood where everything was. Hope the state machine wouldn't interfere with anything already in the kit.
                    The TPS part involves only some minor changes here and there, but yea mostly just changing the camera settings and replacing input logic. I'll be covering all of that in the tutorial.

As of now, I can't think of the state machine having any adverse effect on the existing systems. The only communication between the animation blueprint and the rest of the toolkit is the animation notifies to produce footstep noises when the player feet touches the ground. But that exists in the Event Graph. So anything you do in a state machine shouldn't affect that behavior. But if you do run into a situation where it breaks any existing systems, just let me know.
                    Unreal Possibilities

Comment

dresyn2k8 Here is the tutorial for converting your project into Third Person: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing.

For the gameplay demo, there was also an additional modification that was made to the AI Behavior Trees to make their movement appear smooth in Third Person when the AI guards lose track of the player. I'll be adding it to the toolkit as a mini update tomorrow, but since the changes are relatively minor, will be sharing the screenshots for the same. I'd suggest making those changes to your projects as well after the tutorial.
                      Unreal Possibilities

Comment

Awesome, man. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                        X