Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens if a content maker decided to just stop updating their packs, or (unfortunately) dies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens if a content maker decided to just stop updating their packs, or (unfortunately) dies?

If the content makers, are responsible for keeping everything updated, what happens to their content if they won't/can't update it?

I'm specifically interested in the ramifications to the end user (the people who bought their packs).

Thanks in advance!

I believe it's been said that it will be removed from the marketplace. Those who have already purchased it will continue to have access to the files for download though.

Simulacrum Game | Play The Alpha | Caldera Entertainment | Twitter | ArtStation

Comment

I see, I figured as much, just wanted to make sure.

Thanks for your response!

Comment

No problem! =)

Comment

Humm well even if Epic removes an assist I still see it as being a problem if a project has a built in dependency. I already have a few maps in process using out dated BP's creating a dependency that I have to either live with the errors or remove the asset that I/we paid for.

In my opinion the author should be given X number of opportunities to update and upgrade to the current version of the engine, which is already a requirement, and if they fail to follow up the asset is considered being orphaned and other solution put into place to fix the "problem"
          Clarke's third law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
          Custom Map Maker Discord
          https://discord.gg/t48GHkA
          Urban Terror https://www.urbanterror.info/home/

Comment

Originally posted by FrankieV View Post
            Humm well even if Epic removes an assist I still see it as being a problem if a project has a built in dependency. I already have a few maps in process using out dated BP's creating a dependency that I have to either live with the errors or remove the asset that I/we paid for.

In my opinion the author should be given X number of opportunities to update and upgrade to the current version of the engine, which is already a requirement, and if they fail to follow up the asset is considered being orphaned and other solution put into place to fix the "problem"
            The content creator is definitely given ample opportunity to update their content before it is removed. There isn't much that can be done if someone decides they want to abandon their product. It gets pulled from the marketplace, and those who already purchased it maintain access to the product indefinitely.

Comment

While this is certainly no excuse for them, a lot of content can usually upgrade smoothly, content creators just verify that with Epic when an update is pushed.
              Marketplace Assets

Advanced Mobile Input: Marketplace Page | Support Thread ――― Easy Input Remapping: Marketplace Page | Support Thread
              Multiplayer Blueprint Chat System: Marketplace Page | Support Thread ――― Closing Credits System: Marketplace Page | Support Thread
              Minesweeper Template: Marketplace Page | Support Thread ――― Maze Creator: Marketplace Page | Support Thread

Comment

If content gets removed from marketplace can one of the users who have downloaded, update it for new version and sell it as his/her own content? Or from original creators name?
                HeadsAndBrains
                MARKETPLACE | YouTube

Comment

no, unless you got the rights from the creator to sell it as your own.

Comment

Thanks for the answer. What about this: can user update content and share it with other users who has bought the content? (Those users must prove that they have bought it)
                    HeadsAndBrains
                    MARKETPLACE | YouTube

Comment

No, not without permission from the content creator. They still hold all rights to the assets even if they are no longer selling it on the marketplace. A user can however write a tutorial on how to update the content, and share that information with the public.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicat View Post
                        Thanks for the answer. What about this: can user update content and share it with other users who has bought the content? (Those users must prove that they have bought it)
                        Nope, regardless of whether or not others have bought it, you do not have the right to redistribute the content.
                        Marketplace Assets

Advanced Mobile Input: Marketplace Page | Support Thread ――― Easy Input Remapping: Marketplace Page | Support Thread
                        Multiplayer Blueprint Chat System: Marketplace Page | Support Thread ――― Closing Credits System: Marketplace Page | Support Thread
                        Minesweeper Template: Marketplace Page | Support Thread ――― Maze Creator: Marketplace Page | Support Thread

Comment

Jamendxman3, so that's why. Thanks for answer.

SE_JonF, that answer eases my marketplacephobia a little bit Thanks.
                          HeadsAndBrains
                          MARKETPLACE | YouTube

Comment

Ceators are obliged to updated their content only when a new engine update breaks the functionality of their content so they'd have to make it compatible with it again. So that said, one creator can stop updating their package and it'll never get pulled from the marketplace if it doesn't have any "problems".

Edit: Why I don't have a creator badge..
                            Artstation
                            Join the support channel
                            Gumroad Store

Comment

This is why I'm not trying to make anything for the marketplace.

I'd be interested to hear from some of the people who do sell a bunch of stuff, how much hassle has after sale service (and version fixes) been compared to the amount of money you made from your products?

Comment

Working...
                              X