Action RPG Inventory System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old-Crow View Post
    Ok, action map is in IPC and working, fires to the anim BP and sets of montages, each has a notify that fires,

1. Where exactly do I drop this notify event to call this server event, and which server event? If I send this to the EIMC am I updating equipment mesh function or update main hand?

Also, I was not able to fire any function in the EIMC from the Anim BP because I couldn't figure out what object to reference when casting to the EIMC. Is it possible to get a reference for a component? I always thought of a component as something that cant exist on it's own and has to be added to a existing blueprint but this has 3 component blueprints, which is just confusing to me.

Even the ue4 definition of a component says straight off they cannot exist on their own, so pardon my ignorance for not understanding how to reference, or cast to it but this just seems confusing.

"Components - A Component is a piece of functionality that can be added to an Actor."

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...ne/Components/

I've read everything I can find about components and it hasn't helped me one bit to understand how this works. Should I be setting up an interface, or what is the best way to communicate to a component from a blueprint?
    Hi, you want to make a new server event in your player contoller that then calls the player equipment component
    and handle the logic here and within your equipment character BP, you want to call your notify event from your Anim BP graph, the you want to call a pure function called "Try Get Pawn Owner" then you want to cast to your character BP then cast from that to get your player contoller, then call a the new server event you just made.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Hello, I would like to thank Pirate for this great system.
      Currently i'm facing two issues.

1- How can i properly change the Damage on weapons?

I tried to change the Damage for the Simple Axe in ItemList from 14 to 18.
      and when i hover over the axe with the mouse inside the inventory it says 18, but when i equip the axe the equipment status list still says 14.
      I tried also a quick test to see the correct value of the applied damage on a dummy and it gives me 14.

Edit: for the first question i was able to get it working by deleting the intermediate and saved files every time i opened the project.
      But now each time i change the itemlist file, i need to close the project and delete the two folders in order for the effects to take action, any solution for this?

2- I would like to add more attributes to the system in addition to the existing ones, like fire damage, fire resistance......ect. Cloud someone tell me where should i make the changes, beside the InventoryItem Structure of course

Thanks a lot
      Last edited by IronSuit; 05-23-2017, 11:14 AM.

Comment

We safe to update to 4.16?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Aldridge View Post
          We safe to update to 4.16?
          There is a bug from changes Epic made to UMG Widgets. It's a very easy fix.

Version 1.9 - Submitted - May 24th 2017
          ------- Update Notes -------

Fixed conflict with UMG changes causing compile error of InventorySystem\UI\Blueprint\Inventory\DraggedItem UMG Widget.

[DraggedItem]
          - Renamed the TextBox Amount to AmountText

I have submitted the update to Epic but it could take a few days for it to be updated on the Launcher.
          Last edited by Pirate; 05-24-2017, 09:25 PM.
          \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Marketplace - Action RPG Inventory System | Multiplayer TopDown Kit | Advanced Social System
          Multiplayer TopDown Kit Tutorials - Merging The Action RPG Inventory System | Removing the Fog of War
          Action RPG Inventory Tutorials - Merging Into Your Project | Adding New Items | FPS Controls w/ UI Mode Toggle

Comment

[MENTION=39476]Pirate[/MENTION] At 23:35 in your video you add "Get Follow Camera" for the Camera to the Player Controller replacing the InventoryPlayerController reference but this is not available for "Third Person Character" as a node option, so how do I add this?
            Click image for larger version

Name:	InventoryControllerBP.png
Views:	1
Size:	785.2 KB
ID:	1128517

Comment

Originally posted by ajbombadill View Post
              [MENTION=39476]Pirate[/MENTION] At 23:35 in your video you add "Get Follow Camera" for the Camera to the Player Controller replacing the InventoryPlayerController reference but this is not available for "Third Person Character" as a node option, so how do I add this?
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]142310[/ATTACH]
              If you are not using the InventoryPlayerCharacter but your own Character class called "ThirdPersonCharacter" then you will need to add the camera to your own character class. If you look in the InventoryPlayerCharacter you will see the camera and the camera boom (which is a Camera Spring Arm Component).

Don't forget to parent your new character class to EquipmentCharacter to Inherit all the Equipment meshes if you want your character to display Equipped Item meshes.
              \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Marketplace - Action RPG Inventory System | Multiplayer TopDown Kit | Advanced Social System
              Multiplayer TopDown Kit Tutorials - Merging The Action RPG Inventory System | Removing the Fog of War
              Action RPG Inventory Tutorials - Merging Into Your Project | Adding New Items | FPS Controls w/ UI Mode Toggle

Comment

Just a quick update on my project.

I added a working mana/health/stamina/momentum/hunger/thirst system and hooked it all up to the widget you provide, then created my own in reverse for the other side of the screen. It was very easy to duplicate the drag and drop and have learned a lot about widgets in general by looking at how this is set up.

I still have some color work and whatnot to touch up, but it's coming along I think.

Comment

Guys i have been able to figure all of my problems, except this one still exist.
                  Each time i change a variable in the itemlist file, i need to restart the whole project in order for the numbers to take actually change in game, any solution for this?

Comment

I added a working mana/health/stamina/momentum/hunger/thirst system and hooked it all up to the widget you provide, then created my own in reverse for the other side of the screen. It was very easy to duplicate the drag and drop and have learned a lot about widgets in general by looking at how this is set up.

I still have some color work and whatnot to touch up, but it's coming along I think.
                    Very nice!

The spell FX and the sword animations are from the Marketplace?

WIP Thread

Comment

Nice work and yes one person can build a game it just takes a lot longer lol, i recommend using a client spawned actor for your character portrait out side of the skybox rather that using a capture component from your pawn.

Comment

[MENTION=39476]Pirate[/MENTION] thanks, I just renamed the setup for the camera system that I had to GetFollowCamera and the node is fine now.

I have completed the entire video tutorial and parts are working as expected.

But I am having troubles with the inventory and character slot windows not opening when access keys used. I can highlight game items fine, and the door item works (as it does not need a widget open to complete), but the widget interface does not open to access the pot, skeleton, etc, when pressing "E"
                        I am receiving this error message:
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 05-28-17 at 03.01 AM (2).PNG
Views:	1
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	1128684
                        Last edited by ajbombadill; 05-28-2017, 05:04 AM. Reason: add photo

Comment

Originally posted by ajbombadill View Post
                          [MENTION=39476]Pirate[/MENTION] thanks, I just renamed the setup for the camera system that I had to GetFollowCamera and the node is fine now.

I have completed the entire video tutorial and parts are working as expected.

But I am having troubles with the inventory and character slot windows not opening when access keys used. I can highlight game items fine, and the door item works (as it does not need a widget open to complete), but the widget interface does not open to access the pot, skeleton, etc, when pressing "E"
                          I am receiving this error message:
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]142687[/ATTACH]

It looks like the InventoryUI reference isn't being set during the function InitializePlayer() in the InventoryPlayerController.
                          You will see there in the logic it reads from the InventoryHUD class to set the InventoryUI reference.

Perhaps the InventoryHUD Class isn't setup in your GameMode so it's not able to read and set the reference.
                          \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Comment

I actually tried that first and had it working, but wasn't able to get that system to replicate for multiplayer.

The reason I kept the full view was also because I hate getting ganked from behind while fiddling with my inventory. This is sort of a rear view mirror while you are messing around with weapon/char/stats/armor configurations. I haven't noticed any perf hits, but if it causes any problems I'll tweak it in the future. For now, it's a "soul stone" that explains how/why you can respawn after getting killed, and why adding a Rune of sacrafice to your inventory allows players to retain their gear upon death if they have one. :P

Since I'm here..... here's an update of some new AI I added this week.

Comment

Replication for multiplayer can be done by creating a render target for each client.

Comment

I just wanted to say this inventory system/social system is great. Love it.

Feedback (Granted, this isn't hard to do but just thinking on the concept of plug and play)
                                - Add Loot All functionality on the loot windows out of the box
                                - Would be sweet to have a basic guild window with the social system out of the box as well.

New Stuff
                                - I'd like to see you guys release a plugin that expands on this for NPC Merchant/Shops.
                                - Crafting plugin

Comment

Working...
                                X