Action RPG Inventory System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ruhrpottpatiot View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I think I'll go with the usable actor child.

Another question regarding player abilities. My train of thought was to create a child of usable actor for each ability and list them in an ability vendor. If the character buys an ability it gets stored in a separate ability inventory. He then can select n abilities from the inventory. This inventory is a separate inventory component inheriting from InventoryComponent (just like equipment is handled) with the functions specific to abilities.
    Would this be a viable solution, or am I over engineering this?
    The question is do you want these abilitys like items or more like a list you can click on and select the abilitys you have unlocked? similar to that of diablo 3 passive abilitys?

Comment

tl;dr; More like Guild Wars 1 abilities

Longer explanation: The character can buy abilities from a vendor for a certain price. He then can select a certain amount of abilities from his spellbook and put them into a hotbar. Furthermore, all abilities are active abilities, thus I thought of them as actors from the beginning.
      Currently, I store the learned (i.e. bought) abilities in ab ability array, with a second array listing the abilities the player currently has selected.
      However, since working with this inventory system, I began to think of abilities as an item that are only obtainable via vendor (or be looted as training manual) and can't be dropped into the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruhrpottpatiot View Post
        tl;dr; More like Guild Wars 1 abilities

Longer explanation: The character can buy abilities from a vendor for a certain price. He then can select a certain amount of abilities from his spellbook and put them into a hotbar. Furthermore, all abilities are active abilities, thus I thought of them as actors from the beginning.
        Currently, I store the learned (i.e. bought) abilities in ab ability array, with a second array listing the abilities the player currently has selected.
        However, since working with this inventory system, I began to think of abilities as an item that are only obtainable via vendor (or be looted as training manual) and can't be dropped into the world.
        Sounds like you want them to be items you can stash and trade, if so i would look at making them a type of item that can stack, the amount you wish to use would just use a amount out of your ability stack, and then maybe just hook some logic up so you can use these from the hotbar, if you want a more in depth system create a system were player has to use the item to refill there ability bar for that type of ability.

Comment

Good Morning Will,

What is the recommended procedure for updating the inventory system in our projects?

There's some code I've heavily modified like Use Consumable Item (this was done to ingrate with my crafting system) and I don't want to step on it by migrating the wrong thing.

I'm having some problems with moving items around in the HUD (can drop them from one slot to another) and given some of the patch notes I think you've fixed that so I'd like to apply the update, but obviously I don't want to step on my changes.

Thanks for your help!

Arthur

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Caine View Post
            Good Morning Will,

What is the recommended procedure for updating the inventory system in our projects?

There's some code I've heavily modified like Use Consumable Item (this was done to ingrate with my crafting system) and I don't want to step on it by migrating the wrong thing.

I'm having some problems with moving items around in the HUD (can drop them from one slot to another) and given some of the patch notes I think you've fixed that so I'd like to apply the update, but obviously I don't want to step on my changes.

Thanks for your help!

Arthur
            None of the patch changes should touch areas you may have touched.

I would suggest just going through the patch notes for newer versions and simply implementing the changes as described and shown. It's very straight forward.

If you are having issues with moving items around then that's not something with the ARPGIS but because of changes made in your project to the ARPGIS. Drag and drop of and using items has never had any updates since release. If you can give me a more detailed description of the issue in your project it can help me see where something may have been changed and point you in the right direction.
            \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Marketplace - Action RPG Inventory System | Multiplayer TopDown Kit | Advanced Social System
            Multiplayer TopDown Kit Tutorials - Merging The Action RPG Inventory System | Removing the Fog of War
            Action RPG Inventory Tutorials - Merging Into Your Project | Adding New Items | FPS Controls w/ UI Mode Toggle

Comment

Hi Guy, I need help with a project I have been working on.
              I tried to make a ActionMenu for Items.

https://youtu.be/w9IN8YZCMds

Comment

Originally posted by Tylrin View Post
                Hi Guy, I need help with a project I have been working on.
                I tried to make a ActionMenu for Items.

https://youtu.be/w9IN8YZCMds
                Nice work there what problems are you having? i have already added a action menu to my inventory.

Comment

Hi OverTated_AU,

I don`t know how I get the Information, in which container the item is, that I clicket on. For example an Item in the Inventory, Equipment Window or in a Container. I need this information, so I can adapt the Text on the Buttons and the Funktions that are called when a Button is pressed, in the Action Menu.

Also I need the Funktions, that on a button press activate the action the item is suppose to do, like drop, move to a different container, Equip/Unequip or maybe destroy the item.

P.s
                  Thanks for your reply.

Comment

Hi OverTated_AU,

I don`t know how I get the Information, in which container the item is, that I clicket on. For example an Item in the Inventory, Equipment Window or in a Container. I need this information, so I can adapt the Text on the Buttons and the Funktions that are called when a Button is pressed, in the Action Menu.

Also I need the Funktions, that on a button press activate the action the item is suppose to do, like drop, move to a different container, Equip/Unequip or maybe destroy the item.

P.s
                    Thanks for your reply.

If you look inside the Inventory Slot (and also the Container Slot) widget there are the functions with the logic handling how the client tells the server it wants to do something.
                    The right click to Use an item logic is located on the Event Graph and the rest is the drag and drop logic for UMG that was overridden.
                    \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Marketplace - Action RPG Inventory System | Multiplayer TopDown Kit | Advanced Social System
                    Multiplayer TopDown Kit Tutorials - Merging The Action RPG Inventory System | Removing the Fog of War
                    Action RPG Inventory Tutorials - Merging Into Your Project | Adding New Items | FPS Controls w/ UI Mode Toggle

Comment

Hi OverTated_AU,

P.s
                      Thanks for your reply.

What you need to do is just pass the inventory slot number, amount and item type to the action menu from the inventory/container slot, then use the item type to set the visibility of your actions on your menu so you only have the right actions showing for that item, and the amount to handle the splitting, then create a new Enumeration for you actions then add your actions to it, then create a new interface event in the InventoryHUDInterface and add there variables being your new action Enumeration, the inventory slot int and an amount int, then in your player controller call the new event you added to the InventoryHUDInterface and create a new server event in your IMC and then uses a switch to handle each actions event call within a function, if you need any more help just let me know.

My IMC has a child called a Construct Manager so don't worry about that part.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0.png
Views:	1
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	1121954
                      Last edited by OverRated_AU; 01-23-2017, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OverRated_AU View Post
                        What you need to do is just pass the inventory slot number, amount and item type to the action menu from the inventory/container slot, then use the item type to set the visibility of your actions on your menu so you only have the right actions showing for that item, and the amount to handle the splitting, then create a new Enumeration for you actions then add your actions to it, then create a new interface event in the InventoryHUDInterface and add there variables being your new action Enumeration, the inventory slot int and an amount int, then in your player controller call the new event you added to the InventoryHUDInterface and create a new server event in your IMC and then uses a switch to handle each actions event call within a function, if you need any more help just let me know.

My IMC has a child called a Construct Manager so don't worry about that part.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]126215[/ATTACH]
                        Thanks that really helped!

Comment

Here is my progress of today, thanks to the help of OverRated_AU who made it possible !

It is still not very efficient and it doesn´t have the split function implemented yet, but I will try to update it in the future.

https://youtu.be/m2nOH8txetw

Comment

Jan 24th 2017. I wanted to ask b4 I update Version 1.8 - Jan 19th 2017 what all files are affected so I can just add the updated files and not have to redo everything I have done in my project. Ok I found it all I need to add is the updated InventoryManagerComponent and just edit it with my code.
                            Last edited by ΞΔεvRοτΞ; 01-24-2017, 01:24 AM. Reason: Found it

Comment

Here is my progress of today, thanks to the help of OverRated_AU who made it possible !

It is still not very efficient and it doesn´t have the split function implemented yet, but I will try to update it in the future.

https://youtu.be/m2nOH8txetw
                              Glad you got it all sorted it .

Comment

Originally posted by JohnMack View Post
                                Jan 24th 2017. I wanted to ask b4 I update Version 1.8 - Jan 19th 2017 what all files are affected so I can just add the updated files and not have to redo everything I have done in my project. Ok I found it all I need to add is the updated InventoryManagerComponent and just edit it with my code.
                                The patch notes always explain the changes so you can just apply them yourself.

There is no need to merge files as you may mess up your project by overwriting files manually. It's not always as simple as overwriting the files if your project was merged to and has files moved around.
                                \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Comment

Working...
                                X