No announcement yet.

Action RPG Inventory System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The inventory system works great, however...

... when move between maps (keeping the clients connected using ServerTravel and Seamless) the client is no longer showing the correct equipment when it get changed

and even though severtravel and seamless keeps the playercontrollers... it doesn't store everything so I figure I have to re-init some stuff... but not sure what to do to keep all the equipment and inventory working correctly on both the client/server....

so though I would ask for any suggestions before I do a bunch of trial and error stuff? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by wrfstudios View Post
      The inventory system works great, however...

... when move between maps (keeping the clients connected using ServerTravel and Seamless) the client is no longer showing the correct equipment when it get changed

and even though severtravel and seamless keeps the playercontrollers... it doesn't store everything so I figure I have to re-init some stuff... but not sure what to do to keep all the equipment and inventory working correctly on both the client/server....

so though I would ask for any suggestions before I do a bunch of trial and error stuff? thanks

Are you sure its not just UMG that losing the data? try checking server side to see if your items are still there.

Comment

Just as a general comment on the nature of the universe: Trial and Error is an essential element of learning new things.

WIP Thread

Comment

Originally posted by OverRated_AU View Post
          Are you sure its not just UMG that losing the data? try checking server side to see if your items are still there.
          Yes the items seem to be there... but just not replicating to the server and other clients on the player character mesh. (server cannot see the sword in the clients hand but client can see the sword in their hand)

I guess during a "servertravel" it only stores the playercontrollers - so not sure if I need to somehow store the equipment/character/inventorymanager/inventoryequipmentmanager components, etc. before the servertravel occurs - so everything is correct after the travel.

I tried storing the InventoryPlayerCharacter into my gameinstance - but for some reason it wont let me store that type of variable (not even sure if that is what I need to store - but thought I would give it a try)

Its probably something small I am missing... but thought I would ask here incase someone has some ideas to save some time figuring this out.

Thanks
          Last edited by wrfstudios; 01-01-2017, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Yes the items seem to be there... but just not replicating to the server and other clients on the player character mesh. (server cannot see the sword in the clients hand but client can see the sword in their hand)

I guess during a "servertravel" it only stores the playercontrollers - so not sure if I need to somehow store the equipment/character/inventorymanager/inventoryequipmentmanager components, etc. before the servertravel occurs - so everything is correct after the travel.

I tried storing the InventoryPlayerCharacter into my gameinstance - but for some reason it wont let me store that type of variable (not even sure if that is what I need to store - but thought I would give it a try)

Its probably something small I am missing... but thought I would ask here incase someone has some ideas to save some time figuring this out.

Thanks
            You could just save all your inventory items in an array before changing levels, then just load them after in the same order, in some way you need to make the server do its OnReps again and also update the inventory for that client.

Comment

You could just save all your inventory items in an array before changing levels, then just load them after in the same order, in some way you need to make the server do its OnReps again and also update the inventory for that client.
              That's what I am doing with my save and load system and works find in the same map - so I thought I would save before the servertravel and then load after the servertravel... but something is different after the travel... something is no longer initialized or something.

I thought about disconnecting and rejoin session clients each time the player travels since "join session" works fine for the inventory system - but that seems very hacky

I admit I don't know that much about the inventory system... everything seems to work great (including loading and saving inventory) until I started doing traveling from map to map... so something is getting broken during the travel process

it looks like the following are important to keep things replicating properly

InventoryPlayerController
              InventoryPlayerCharacter
              InventoryManagmentComponent
              PlayerInventoryComponent
              EquipmentInventoryComponent
              InventoryComponent

Please let me know if theres something else I need to make sure is being initialize after the travel or stored before the travel, etc.

Thanks
              Last edited by wrfstudios; 01-01-2017, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Hello, how to use this system with 3D widget? It's for VR game. Thank you.

Comment

There a few ways of handling this depending on what you want, the easiest way is to create a function and call it when the NPC dies and just loop its inventory and spawn a container actor like a backpack or something and move the NPCs items to that, another way is to set the NPC to usable when it dies but this can create problems because of its collision if your playing a death anim.
                  Hi
                  Since I am not using this same system (WoW style drop) and rather trying to implement one similar to MU online (npc dies, drops an item to the ground), theres no need to implement it. Actually [MENTION=39476]Pirate[/MENTION] even wrote a mini guide on how to achieve it.

What I mean is, since all items are child of World_Actor bp, I should be able to access them if I put them in a variable. Try this:
                  1. Open a mob you have
                  2. Add a variable and just make it a World_Actor class reference
                  3. IF you add an actor to it, you can only see 4 of all the items (some swords and the shield)
                  4. When that mob dies (on the function) just put a Spawn Actor of Class and the variable.

It will work fine and spawn fine. If you then open one of the items that are not shown (example, Riffle, Dagger) and compile/save, it will show up on the list of the variable you created. However, the moment you spawn it, it will crash.

That's why I was wondering if there is any difference on the child of the World_actor (especifically between the Sword/Shield and the Armors) :P

PS: also see the image, the actors with the shown image (not the catbox) are spawned just fine. Others wont appear and if I compile/save it will show the image but crash on spawn (the whole ue editor)
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	wewq.png
Views:	1
Size:	279.7 KB
ID:	1120811
                  maybe this could be the issue but couldnt tell

I got it fixed, seemed like the Static Mesh or something on each of those "catbox" blueprints were set to NULL (weird? seems from the conversion to 1.14). However, I set that again and works as expected. I always wondered why those were showing as catboxes
                  Last edited by Namesis; 01-01-2017, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Hey, how do I check if I have 1.7 update?
                    I haven't seen the orange exclamation mark and the 'Update' option on the launcher for ARPGIS so I don't think I am on the 1.7 version...but I could be wrong?

Comment

If I have somehow offended, then I apologize! I did not mean it! Just your first product, which had similar problems! I apologize to you for their sharpness, and I was wrong. Return means not see the point. Because I have a lot has changed and altered it in your system. Do not get me wrong, please.

Comment

in Unreal Editor all good. But after build app, UI don't visible.

Comment

Originally posted by dazuk1978 View Post
                          Hey, how do I check if I have 1.7 update?
                          I haven't seen the orange exclamation mark and the 'Update' option on the launcher for ARPGIS so I don't think I am on the 1.7 version...but I could be wrong?
                          Do you have a wespon_actor and do the tooltips appear at the cursor/item or down in the ssme place in the bottom right.
                          \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Marketplace - Action RPG Inventory System | Multiplayer TopDown Kit | Advanced Social System
                          Multiplayer TopDown Kit Tutorials - Merging The Action RPG Inventory System | Removing the Fog of War
                          Action RPG Inventory Tutorials - Merging Into Your Project | Adding New Items | FPS Controls w/ UI Mode Toggle

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                            Do you have a wespon_actor and do the tooltips appear at the cursor/item or down in the ssme place in the bottom right.
                            No Weapon_Actor, and the tooltips are still at the bottom right.
                            I actually looked at your 1.7 update post and there's a bit where you tell us how to make the tooltips appear on the object so I assumed even in the new version we'd have to do it manually? I guess not.
                            I tried doing it manually anyway, and there were issues which I now can see will be due to me still being on on the 1.6 version.

So next question, why do I not have the 1.7 version?

Comment

Originally posted by Namesis View Post
                              Hi
                              I got it fixed, seemed like the Static Mesh or something on each of those "catbox" blueprints were set to NULL (weird? seems from the conversion to 1.14). However, I set that again and works as expected. I always wondered why those were showing as catboxes
                              There is a bug with unreal and sometimes when the Editor crashes it can reset child blueprint values to the default values. So it looks like they all got set to the default NULL value in your case.
                              \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Marketplace - Action RPG Inventory System | Multiplayer TopDown Kit | Advanced Social System
                              Multiplayer TopDown Kit Tutorials - Merging The Action RPG Inventory System | Removing the Fog of War
                              Action RPG Inventory Tutorials - Merging Into Your Project | Adding New Items | FPS Controls w/ UI Mode Toggle

Comment

Originally posted by dazuk1978 View Post
                                No Weapon_Actor, and the tooltips are still at the bottom right.
                                I actually looked at your 1.7 update post and there's a bit where you tell us how to make the tooltips appear on the object so I assumed even in the new version we'd have to do it manually? I guess not.
                                I tried doing it manually anyway, and there were issues which I now can see will be due to me still being on on the 1.6 version.

So next question, why do I not have the 1.7 version?
                                Not sure, sometimes the launcher caching is buggy. I would click on the ARPGIS in your vault and delete it so that the launcher has to redownload it. the 1.7 update is also only available for 4.13+ so if you don't have 4.13 or 4.14 installed maybe it won't let you download it?

The manual steps are only for people who already merged into a project where it would be too much work for them to remerge.
                                So I provide the steps so they can make the updates themselves.
                                \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Comment

Working...
                                X