Action RPG Inventory System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OverRated_AU View Post
    In your game mode make sure you have the correct character selected, the characters inputs will be overwritten by the controller.
    in my game mode I have the Inventory character selected, now it possess the print string still only happens in the thirdperson character blueprint, then when I hool the function back up the after posses the character just auto runs forward

Comment

thanks [MENTION=39476]Pirate[/MENTION] [MENTION=38122]black cat[/MENTION]

I am analyzing the blueprint now.

luny
      Last edited by lunyBunny; 05-23-2016, 09:45 AM.
      lunybunny.com
      lunybunny.com

Comment

Originally posted by locknutz View Post
        in my game mode I have the Inventory character selected, now it possess the print string still only happens in the thirdperson character blueprint, then when I hool the function back up the after posses the character just auto runs forward
        is your game mode being used for the current level your testing on? check in the world settings

Comment

is your game mode being used for the current level your testing on? check in the world settings
          aye it is being used

Comment

so I kinda got the mount system working I had to create a child blueprint form Inventory Character and not from anything else. it attached the player character to the mount and possess the mount and dismount all seem to be working with that child so I'm happy. thanks for the assistance

Comment

Originally posted by locknutz View Post
              so I kinda got the mount system working I had to create a child blueprint form Inventory Character and not from anything else. it attached the player character to the mount and possess the mount and dismount all seem to be working with that child so I'm happy. thanks for the assistance
              if you followed the guide correctly it tells you to reparant your character blueprint to the equipment character.

Comment

if you followed the guide correctly it tells you to reparant your character blueprint to the equipment character.
                I think in his case he has to possess a new class so he created a child of inv character as the one to possess. But if the mount doesn't need inventory equipment slots I think it should just parent character or pawn.
                \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Marketplace - Action RPG Inventory System | Multiplayer TopDown Kit | Advanced Social System
                Multiplayer TopDown Kit Tutorials - Merging The Action RPG Inventory System | Removing the Fog of War
                Action RPG Inventory Tutorials - Merging Into Your Project | Adding New Items | FPS Controls w/ UI Mode Toggle

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                  I think in his case he has to possess a new class so he created a child of inv character as the one to possess. But if the mount doesn't need inventory equipment slots I think it should just parent character or pawn.
                  I tried doing both of those and neither one would use the input from the player controls I could not get anything to fire

Comment

I searched the thread but i could not find anything relevant, had anyone implemented animations based on what weapon is equipped ? I was going to make an enum with my player states, unnarmed, 1hand, 2hand, ect and switch this enum when ever the player equipes a weapon and have this enum be read within the animationBP and switch on the enum. Thing is, im having a hard time figuring out where i should put this enum. i guess it can be put anywhere but where would it make most sense to add this enum at?
                    Youtube
                    Machine Learning C++ Plugin
                    Lindenmayer System C++ Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by SaxonRah View Post
                      I searched the thread but i could not find anything relevant, had anyone implemented animations based on what weapon is equipped ? I was going to make an enum with my player states, unnarmed, 1hand, 2hand, ect and switch this enum when ever the player equipes a weapon and have this enum be read within the animationBP and switch on the enum. Thing is, im having a hard time figuring out where i should put this enum. i guess it can be put anywhere but where would it make most sense to add this enum at?
                      I would say put it in the PlayerCharacter. That way when you are equipping a weapon you can set it up to assign this ENUM and replicate what weapon animation state the character is in. The Animation BP can then easily read it in the anim graph and play the right animation state per character.
                      \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Marketplace - Action RPG Inventory System | Multiplayer TopDown Kit | Advanced Social System
                      Multiplayer TopDown Kit Tutorials - Merging The Action RPG Inventory System | Removing the Fog of War
                      Action RPG Inventory Tutorials - Merging Into Your Project | Adding New Items | FPS Controls w/ UI Mode Toggle

Comment

Originally posted by SaxonRah View Post
                        What i did was add a weapon type to the inventory list, then i did a onrep of the inventory item which i created in equipment character, then from here i set the weapon type which the anim bp casts to the the owning pawn and gets the animation type. the rep equipped inventory item replaces the onrepmainhand, the reason i added it to the inventory item list rather than just doing a check is because just seemed logical when setting up a new item.
                        Last edited by OverRated_AU; 05-19-2016, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Is there a document somewhere with directions on how to use the Inventory system? I’m not looking for a programming guide just some basic information on what goes where.

I’m still going through the add Item tutorial, but I’m unsure what the best method is to customize the various inventory elements. Actually to start with I only want to use the inventory box and the hot slots. I’m not even going to use the equipment box at this point. The various RPG elements armor, strength, etc, aren’t really applicable to my game. I just going to use a very scaled down version of the inventory system.

I’m not actually using the character equipment mesh either since right now my game is a FPS only.

One problem I’m running into is the BOX armor, a leather band keep popping up on the equipment mesh and I can’t figure out where they’re coming from. I have the equipment visibility turned off so this stuff is just floating around my main character. Can you guide me as to how that stuff is ending up on my mesh?

I also can't get the outline to show around the items and/or pick them up at this point. I can bring the inventory system up no problem but using the supplied inventory player controller I can not interact with the objects.

Does the inventory system save between games by default or is that my responsibility?

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Caine View Post
                            Is there a document somewhere with directions on how to use the Inventory system? I’m not looking for a programming guide just some basic information on what goes where.

I’m still going through the add Item tutorial, but I’m unsure what the best method is to customize the various inventory elements. Actually to start with I only want to use the inventory box and the hot slots. I’m not even going to use the equipment box at this point. The various RPG elements armor, strength, etc, aren’t really applicable to my game. I just going to use a very scaled down version of the inventory system.
                            For starters simply removing the Equipment Window will prevent all of the equipment features from being used. Removing the stats is as simple as editing the Structs and deleting the properties. You will need to clean up a few simple errors for missing variables in the InventoryManagerComponent UpdateEquippedStats function and also you can remove those stat variables from there as well. Then you will need to make changes to the UI Equipment and ToolTip widgets that will be reading from those deleted variables.

Structs in blueprint can be a bit tricky, I would simply delete the variables you don't want. If you start reordering things or removed something and added it back you will need to search through all your blueprints to make sure you didn't break some struct logic. Doing a simple search for "Break InventoryItem" will show you all the spots in the code it's used. Also check "Make InventoryItem"

I’m not actually using the character equipment mesh either since right now my game is a FPS only.

One problem I’m running into is the BOX armor, a leather band keep popping up on the equipment mesh and I can’t figure out where they’re coming from. I have the equipment visibility turned off so this stuff is just floating around my main character. Can you guide me as to how that stuff is ending up on my mesh?
                            In the InventoryPlayerController there is an example of how to load with starting gear in the InitializePlayer function. Simple unhook the node and plug it into the one above like so.

Click image for larger version

Name:	skiploaditems.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	1106667

Since you will not need equipment meshes you won't need to use the EquipmentCharacter class. So it should be pretty easy to cut this out by not parenting your character class to it. If you get any errors solve them by editing the EquipmentInventoryComponent function UpdateEquippedMeshes. But since you will not be performing any equipment logic since you have no Equipment Window you probably don't even need to do anything with the UpdateEquippedMeshes function.

I also can't get the outline to show around the items and/or pick them up at this point. I can bring the inventory system up no problem but using the supplied inventory player controller I can not interact with the objects.
                            I am not sure what you have changed that would break this logic as it's fairly basic. Do you have the PostProcess effect setup? can you add a print string to the use button and see if it's firing the logic in your player controller.

Does the inventory system save between games by default or is that my responsibility?
                            It is a modular Inventory System, so it does not provide you with game saving logic. It does it make it easy to Get/Set Inventories, so you can simply get all the inventory items and save it out however you please and load the list of items.
                            Last edited by Pirate; 05-20-2016, 09:11 AM.
                            \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Comment

Its been awhile since i have posted a video up, this is what i have been working on lately on and off.

[MENTION=331197]Lord Caine[/MENTION] my game is also a FPS but you have to remember if its MP other people are going to be able to see items your wearing.

Comment

Hi Over,

Thanks for sharing that with me. I've been watching your other videos too. Remnants looks like it is coming along fine.

I'm taking a modular approach to my game. The first level will not have any multiplayer in it. This affords me the chance to learn the unreal environment while building a game. I've spent the past couple of year learning LUA and although it was fun I'm enjoying the power of the Unreal environment.

I hope I can get to where you are with the inventory system soon. Right now I just have the HUD working. I need to try some of the things Will mentioned in the previous post tonight.

Regards,

Lord Caine

Comment

Working...
                                X