Action RPG Inventory System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rainrs View Post
    Im having issues setting this up with the MPTopDown Kit. I followed your merge tutorial 100%, am not getting ANY errors, but it just doesn't work... Like I build the project, start up, go ingame, and pressing any of the hotkeys does nothing :'(
    Pretty lost as to what to do.

Is your GameMode calling the right classes? Sometimes when things just don't work at all for no reason it's that.
    Please send me an email at support@vanguardinteractive.com and I can help you resolve your issues ASAP.
    \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Marketplace - Action RPG Inventory System | Multiplayer TopDown Kit | Advanced Social System
    Multiplayer TopDown Kit Tutorials - Merging The Action RPG Inventory System | Removing the Fog of War
    Action RPG Inventory Tutorials - Merging Into Your Project | Adding New Items | FPS Controls w/ UI Mode Toggle

Comment

Originally posted by Demrok View Post
      Looks good OverRated
      I have been working over my melee system, and then decided to throw in some AI..
      Made a little "mini boss" Goblin that is activated when the player steps up to the doorway.
      It has a health bar and it does random attacks, currently only set up as 2 different types of melee swings.
      I just need to finish the damage output from player to enemy and vice versa. For now... good enough
      Very cool, I like the Goblin model. What technique are you thinking of doing for registering hits? simple raycast, per bone collision, physics overlap, other?
      \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Marketplace - Action RPG Inventory System | Multiplayer TopDown Kit | Advanced Social System
      Multiplayer TopDown Kit Tutorials - Merging The Action RPG Inventory System | Removing the Fog of War
      Action RPG Inventory Tutorials - Merging Into Your Project | Adding New Items | FPS Controls w/ UI Mode Toggle

Comment

Thanks Pirate!
        Goblin Model is just the Mixamo Goblin lol
        For registering hits I'm going to start off with overlaps but I may move to a per bone collision for some better hit registration.

This setup is also only going to be used for "world mini bosses" and the likes.
        I'm going to set up pawn sensing for regular mob AI in the world.
        I want to have certain types of mobs have certain detection properties.
        Skeletons-visual: so you can sneak behind them
        Goblins-aural:hear you at a distance but not really know what it is they hear

Comment

Originally posted by Demrok View Post
          Looks good OverRated

I have been working over my melee system, and then decided to throw in some AI..
          Made a little "mini boss" Goblin that is activated when the player steps up to the doorway.
          It has a health bar and it does random attacks, currently only set up as 2 different types of melee swings.
          I just need to finish the damage output from player to enemy and vice versa. For now... good enough
          Nice work there , I'm yet to start work on a combat system for my project all in good time.

Been working on a crafting system its very basic at the moment and has some bugs i need to fix but its working using the inventory system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13AK...ature=youtu.be
          Last edited by OverRated_AU; 03-22-2016, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OverRated_AU View Post
            Nice work there , I'm yet to start work on a combat system for my project all in good time.

Been working on a crafting system its very basic at the moment and has some bugs i need to fix but its working using the inventory system.

You know, this is really cool, and there isn't any tutorials, or assets on the marketplace covering durability, or even simple crafting. I for one would buy, or would love at the very least a tutorial. Would love if you considered something a long those lines. Lots of inventory demos, nothing with what you have shown us. Anyways, keep up the fantastic work

Comment

Ya, it's really cool seeing your progress, It makes me want to get back to working on my game
              \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Comment

Originally posted by JManDawg View Post
                You know, this is really cool, and there isn't any tutorials, or assets on the marketplace covering durability, or even simple crafting. I for one would buy, or would love at the very least a tutorial. Would love if you considered something a long those lines. Lots of inventory demos, nothing with what you have shown us. Anyways, keep up the fantastic work

As my crafting and durability logic is using the ARPG Inventory i would have to make a dummy inventory system before i could put it up on the marketplace, Maybe when I'm happy with these two system and there refined i mite see what i can do :-) .

EDIT:

Update on the crafting system .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dn3...ature=youtu.be
                Last edited by OverRated_AU; 03-22-2016, 01:42 PM.

Comment

As my crafting and durability logic is using the ARPG Inventory i would have to make a dummy inventory system before i could put it up on the marketplace, Maybe when I'm happy with these two system and there refined i mite see what i can do :-) .

EDIT:

Update on the crafting system .
                  Great progress!

WIP Thread

Comment

I'm trying to cut down on spamming the page with large posts :P, so after a day I'm going to replace the videos with just links.

This crafting system is about 90% finished at the moment i have bulk crafting which I'm going to change to a single item loop of the set amount.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKJP...ature=youtu.be
                    Last edited by OverRated_AU; 03-25-2016, 02:45 AM.

Comment

I'm trying to cut down on spamming the page with large posts :P, so after a day I'm going to replace the videos with just links.

This crafting system is about 90% finished at the moment i have bulk crafting which I'm going to change to a single item loop of the set amount.
                      I like the embedded videos. Puts a little color in an otherwise dull black and white scenario. I also like not having to bounce to another website.

WIP Thread

Comment

Ya I like the videos, it would be nice to see even more peoples progress through images and videos

But I think 1920x1080 images are too big and should be half sized before posting in threads
                        \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Comment

It looks like Update 1.4 is finally out

Update notes and migration instructions can be found here.
                          \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Comment

Very easy to follow updates, thank you c:

Comment

found one bug, one issue:

1. Loot 2 items of the same: example 2 cardboard helmets. I will call them CardboardHelmet#1 and CardboardHelmet#2.
                              Put them in slot (inventory/bag): CardboradHelmet#1 in slot 1 and CardboardHelmet#2 in slot 5
                              Move the cardboardhelmet#2 to the hotbar(1).
                              Press key "1". Instead of the cardboard#2 getting equipped, the cardboard#1 gets equipped.
                              -- I guess a way to fix this is to set them unique ids/numbers when they are in the bag, and the hotbars will equip the item based on the number--

2. I cant find any way to get the info from the equipped weapons/armor (for example, getting strength from a cardboardlegs). Tried from controller with no successs.
                              This is pretty much for server-side calculations, like damage reductions, damage increase, etc.

Um.. another question:
                              How does the system reallyworks?
                              - Every item I loot is really on my "inventory"? [since is multiplayer I guess it is, just wondering.. since most functions clearly say they execute on server]
                              - < same question as above but with equipment window >
                              - I read that when I equip an item only the mesh is equipped. This means that its 'imposible' to get the stats of the equipped item? (for server-side purposes: increasing damage/defense) If so, this means I will need to calculate everything when the item is equipped and add it to the player (or just recalculate everything (new damage, new defense, etc etc) every time an item is equipped..)
                              - I guess it also means it can be limited. for example, in my game the player will have different skills % (hand attack, sword attack, staff attack) which range from 0% to 100% (player trains them hitting mobs). So if there is no item equipped (just a mesh) means I cant do this, since there is no item info.
                              Last edited by Namesis; 03-25-2016, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Namesis View Post
                                found one bug, one issue:

1. Loot 2 items of the same: example 2 cardboard helmets. I will call them CardboardHelmet#1 and CardboardHelmet#2.
                                Put them in slot (inventory/bag): CardboradHelmet#1 in slot 1 and CardboardHelmet#2 in slot 5
                                Move the cardboardhelmet#2 to the hotbar(1).
                                Press key "1". Instead of the cardboard#2 getting equipped, the cardboard#1 gets equipped.
                                -- I guess a way to fix this is to set them unique ids/numbers when they are in the bag, and the hotbars will equip the item based on the number--
                                The hotbar slots are setup to use the first item of that type found in your inventory. If you want different behavior it's setup clean and simple so you can extend it yourself.

2. I cant find any way to get the info from the equipped weapons/armor (for example, getting strength from a cardboardlegs). Tried from controller with no successs.
                                This is pretty much for server-side calculations, like damage reductions, damage increase, etc.
                                Well there are dedicated slots for equipment. Why not just get the item in your leg slot and access it's stats?
                                If you want the total equipped stats those are already calculated and stored in variables in the InventoryManagerComponent on the server and replicated to the client.

Um.. another question:
                                How does the system reallyworks?
                                - Every item I loot is really on my "inventory"? [since is multiplayer I guess it is, just wondering.. since most functions clearly say they execute on server]
                                - < same question as above but with equipment window >
                                It's just about understanding how unreal works when it comes to authority and client/server logic.
                                For example the server will run each clients player controller as the server and then the player controller will also run again as each client when your game is running. So you need to separate logic as authority and as client. The servers version will have your inventory and hold your items. This prevents the player/client from having direct access to the items. The server instead gives the player information about each item they own so that the UI can take this data and build the icons and information that the player needs. This helps with also lowering the bandwidth needed from the server when you are loading inventories, containers, looting items, etc. Because it will only send to the client the information it needs to know about instead of every piece of data per item.

Epic has a networking with blueprints tutorial series that I highly recommend anyone wanting to make anything related to multiplayer check out first. It's still pretty basic but it will put you on a path to understanding.

So to recap.
                                The client is dumb and can simply tell the server what it wants to do. The server makes all the decisions and then lets the client know what has happened.
                                The server owns the items and the client is told what items they have and the information about them that is important to the client.
                                When the client moves one item from the backpack to equipment. It's basically telling the server "Ok I want to equip this" then the server will check the item and do the equipment logic and then updates the client UI.

- I read that when I equip an item only the mesh is equipped. This means that its 'imposible' to get the stats of the equipped item? (for server-side purposes: increasing damage/defense) If so, this means I will need to calculate everything when the item is equipped and add it to the player (or just recalculate everything (new damage, new defense, etc etc) every time an item is equipped..)
                                Why is it impossible to get the stats? There are two things happening on equip.
                                The item is moved into the equipped slot and has it's stats calculated with the rest of the equipment.
                                The character mesh is updated to show the mesh that was equipped.

The item stats are still there on the item and the total equipped stats are calculated and stored so they can be accessed already. Anytime an item is equipped or unequipped the equipped stats are recalculated.
                                If you want to access a specific items stats you can do that if they are equipped or not.

The reason why it's mentioned that it's just a mesh being equipped visually is because well.. it's an inventory system and doesn't include a weapon system.
                                So for example if you wanted to equip a weapon that could shoot and do a bunch of different things.. you might think "well the inventory just equips mesh, so it can't do it, it's limited" but of course it can.
                                It just equips a mesh because it's a demo showing how to use a modular inventory system.

If you want to equip a weapon blueprint when you equip an item, all the Inventory Item would need to know is what blueprint weapon actor you want to spawn when this item is equipped.
                                Then when you have equipped your new item you just change the character code to spawn and attach the specified blueprint weapon actor instead of the having it just equip the items mesh.

- I guess it also means it can be limited. for example, in my game the player will have different skills % (hand attack, sword attack, staff attack) which range from 0% to 100% (player trains them hitting mobs). So if there is no item equipped (just a mesh) means I cant do this, since there is no item info.
                                Why not just have your own base stat variables and apply the equipment stats on top?
                                Last edited by Pirate; 03-25-2016, 11:08 PM.
                                \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Comment

Working...
                                X