Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Action RPG Inventory System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Has anyone else added footsteps to their characters through sound cues on the animations? I'm not sure if this is an engine issue or an issue with the Inventory System, but the sound works great and as expected if the character spawns without boots. However the sound is doubled (almost like a horse) unless I jump first, then it works fine. Anyone have any thoughts on thought?

    I'm using the footstep cue from the ShooterGame to test.

    EDIT: It also seems to happen when you equip them for the time as well. Interesting..
    EDIT2: The issue seems to be a sync issue with the trigger playing twice since the animation is on skeleton and not the mesh. So it fires from both the Character and the boots.
    Last edited by The_Simon_Sez; 03-06-2016, 09:12 PM. Reason: New info added.

    Comment


      Originally posted by chlballi View Post
      Has anyone else added footsteps to their characters through sound cues on the animations? I'm not sure if this is an engine issue or an issue with the Inventory System, but the sound works great and as expected if the character spawns without boots. However the sound is doubled (almost like a horse) unless I jump first, then it works fine. Anyone have any thoughts on thought?

      I'm using the footstep cue from the ShooterGame to test.

      EDIT: It also seems to happen when you equip them for the time as well. Interesting..
      The issue seems like it's is a bug with how meshes "share"/sync with the same animation blueprint.
      I guess having something attached to the feet bones is causing the footstep cues to trigger again when the boots are on.

      This is an Unreal bug and I would write up the issue for answer hub and submit it as a bug titled something like
      2 Meshes (Parent/Child) sharing the same Skeleton+AnimBlueprint is double triggering animation ques.
      \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

      Marketplace - Action RPG Inventory System | Multiplayer TopDown Kit | Advanced Social System
      Multiplayer TopDown Kit Tutorials - Merging The Action RPG Inventory System | Removing the Fog of War
      Action RPG Inventory Tutorials - Merging Into Your Project | Adding New Items | FPS Controls w/ UI Mode Toggle

      Comment


        Originally posted by Pirate View Post
        The issue seems like it's is a bug with how meshes "share"/sync with the same animation blueprint.
        I guess having something attached to the feet bones is causing the footstep cues to trigger again when the boots are on.

        This is an Unreal bug and I would write up the issue for answer hub and submit it as a bug titled something like
        2 Meshes (Parent/Child) sharing the same Skeleton+AnimBlueprint is double triggering animation ques.
        I agree. I will post the quest and post any findings if anyone else has a similar issue. Thanks.

        Comment


          Originally posted by chlballi View Post
          Has anyone else added footsteps to their characters through sound cues on the animations? I'm not sure if this is an engine issue or an issue with the Inventory System, but the sound works great and as expected if the character spawns without boots. However the sound is doubled (almost like a horse) unless I jump first, then it works fine. Anyone have any thoughts on thought?

          I'm using the footstep cue from the ShooterGame to test.

          EDIT: It also seems to happen when you equip them for the time as well. Interesting..
          EDIT2: The issue seems to be a sync issue with the trigger playing twice since the animation is on skeleton and not the mesh. So it fires from both the Character and the boots.

          Using sound cues are fine for actions like jumping, but for walking and running setup a LineTraceByChannel because you can also setup Surface Types with different sounds on each surface, This is the setup i'm using and i don't get any problem wearing boots .

          Comment


            Originally posted by OverRated_AU View Post
            Using sound cues are fine for actions like jumping, but for walking and running setup a LineTraceByChannel because you can also setup Surface Types with different sounds on each surface, This is the setup i'm using and i don't get any problem wearing boots .
            If it does not divulge too much proprietary info, could you elaborate on your setup a bit? That sounds like a good work around for that issue. I'm only familiar with Line Traces in regards to camera.

            Comment


              Originally posted by chlballi View Post
              If it does not divulge too much proprietary info, could you elaborate on your setup a bit? That sounds like a good work around for that issue. I'm only familiar with Line Traces in regards to camera.
              Sure this guy covers pretty much all i have done, it will be easier for you to follow rather than me posting images up.

              Comment


                Originally posted by OverRated_AU View Post
                Sure this guy covers pretty much all i have done, it will be easier for you to follow rather than me posting images up.
                Nice tutorial, I bookmarked it for later when I have to do this in my game
                \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

                Marketplace - Action RPG Inventory System | Multiplayer TopDown Kit | Advanced Social System
                Multiplayer TopDown Kit Tutorials - Merging The Action RPG Inventory System | Removing the Fog of War
                Action RPG Inventory Tutorials - Merging Into Your Project | Adding New Items | FPS Controls w/ UI Mode Toggle

                Comment


                  Originally posted by OverRated_AU View Post
                  Sure this guy covers pretty much all i have done, it will be easier for you to follow rather than me posting images up.

                  Oddly enough, I still have the same issue. Since it is still being trigger from the animation sequence, which is firing twice, I get the same issue.

                  EDIT: I added a 'Print' just to see, and it is indeed firing twice, but is out of sync until I jump once. then the both fire at the same time. If you have no issues after following that example, as I did, maybe the issue is my model?
                  Last edited by The_Simon_Sez; 03-06-2016, 11:51 PM.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by chlballi View Post
                    Oddly enough, I still have the same issue. Since it is still being trigger from the animation sequence, which is firing twice, I get the same issue.

                    EDIT: I added a 'Print' just to see, and it is indeed firing twice, but is out of sync until I jump once. then the both fire at the same time. If you have no issues after following that example, as I did, maybe the issue is my model?
                    Can you post a video so we can see what its doing?

                    Comment


                      How would you recommend doing a video capture? I'll see what I can do tomorrow after work. It's almost 2300 here, so I'm off to bed. Good night all, and thanks.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by chlballi View Post
                        How would you recommend doing a video capture? I'll see what I can do tomorrow after work. It's almost 2300 here, so I'm off to bed. Good night all, and thanks.
                        Camstudio is a good free program i use Camtasia Studio 8 but its not free.

                        The only difference i have from that video is I'm doing a check on the characters movement speed and only playing it when above 50, as i found the sound would some times play once after stopping the walk/run animation, now you could match the check with the speed of your character but i found 50 being a good middle.

                        Here is my setup if it helps.

                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	1101958

                        Comment


                          Mine looks the same. I'll work on a short video of the issue after work. Thanks.

                          Comment


                            Don't forget to tell epic about their bug ;D
                            \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

                            Marketplace - Action RPG Inventory System | Multiplayer TopDown Kit | Advanced Social System
                            Multiplayer TopDown Kit Tutorials - Merging The Action RPG Inventory System | Removing the Fog of War
                            Action RPG Inventory Tutorials - Merging Into Your Project | Adding New Items | FPS Controls w/ UI Mode Toggle

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                              Don't forget to tell epic about their bug ;D
                              Already done. No response yet.

                              Comment


                                Here a video of how my foot steps sound also some sack logic haha.





                                Updated my harvesting logic still needs a animation :P.
                                Last edited by OverRated_AU; 03-07-2016, 01:59 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X