Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Action RPG Inventory System

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    First off, great asset. Inventory is incredibly well commented and organised.

    I've been playing around with adding some additional functionality (on equip/unequip effects) for our game and discovered that UnequipItem is not reliably called. It is called when an item is dragged from the character into the backpack but not when it is unequipped via right click. It also doesn't run the unequip function when it is placed into a container via right click, again it works fine if dragged.

    The first instance was easy to fix by tweaking the UseEquipmentItem function to call UnequipToInventory instead of MoveInventoryItem.

    The second doesn't seem to be quite so straightforward, the issue is in UseInventoryItem when a container is open. It skips the ItemType checking and just moves the item directly into the open container rather than checking to see if it is Equipment and instead run the UseEquipmentItem function. For now I've just disabled placing from character to container and instead it runs the default UseEquipmentItem to place it back into the backpack whether a container is open or not.

    I didn't see this on the list of upcoming fixes so I thought it would be best to mention it

    EDIT: Just noticed that when swapping equipment the Unequip function doesn't seem to be run for the swapped out item either.
    Last edited by LordHogFred; 02-24-2016, 09:07 PM.

    Comment


      Originally posted by Fred.Horgan View Post
      First off, great asset. Inventory is incredibly well commented and organised.

      I've been playing around with adding some additional functionality (on equip/unequip effects) for our game and discovered that UnequipItem is not reliably called. It is called when an item is dragged from the character into the backpack but not when it is unequipped via right click. It also doesn't run the unequip function when it is placed into a container via right click, again it works fine if dragged.
      Good find, I can see that having the simpler logic path being an issue for people looking for a place to tag onto Unequip I will make the changes and post a solution ASAP. The fix will be included in the 1.4 update.

      Originally posted by Fred.Horgan View Post
      The second doesn't seem to be quite so straightforward, the issue is in UseInventoryItem when a container is open. It skips the ItemType checking and just moves the item directly into the open container rather than checking to see if it is Equipment and instead run the UseEquipmentItem function. For now I've just disabled placing from character to container and instead it runs the default UseEquipmentItem to place it back into the backpack whether a container is open or not.

      I didn't see this on the list of upcoming fixes so I thought it would be best to mention it
      This is by design, when right clicking items when a container is open it overrides the normal logic and will swap the item between the inventory and container. If you look at most MMO's imagine having your bank storage open. When you right click to use an item it moves the items to and from a container. For example in WoW your backpack is open and your Bank is open. If you right click on a potion it won't consume the potion it will move it to the Bank or Backpack (depending on where it is located) same goes for equipment. Please feel free to change this logic if it is not what you want in your game
      Last edited by Pirate; 02-24-2016, 09:37 PM.
      \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

      Marketplace - Action RPG Inventory System | Multiplayer TopDown Kit | Advanced Social System
      Multiplayer TopDown Kit Tutorials - Merging The Action RPG Inventory System | Removing the Fog of War
      Action RPG Inventory Tutorials - Merging Into Your Project | Adding New Items | FPS Controls w/ UI Mode Toggle

      Comment


        Being able to easily add equip/unequip logic would be awesome! I've been trying to get that working as well. Glad I'm not the only one!
        Last edited by The_Simon_Sez; 02-24-2016, 11:51 PM.

        Comment


          Originally posted by Pirate View Post
          This is by design, when right clicking items when a container is open it overrides the normal logic and will swap the item between the inventory and container. If you look at most MMO's imagine having your bank storage open. When you right click to use an item it moves the items to and from a container. For example in WoW your backpack is open and your Bank is open. If you right click on a potion it won't consume the potion it will move it to the Bank or Backpack (depending on where it is located) same goes for equipment. Please feel free to change this logic if it is not what you want in your game
          That's fair it makes sense that it would allow for quick transfer of items and I did forget about consumables, should it not still run the UnEquip function for equipment though?

          It's not a major issue, I've slightly refactored the way it works for my project so it calls my custom EquipEffect checks if the item moved out was of type Equipment but it may be something worth considering if others are looking to implement events for OnEquip and OnUnEquip .

          Comment


            Originally posted by chlballi View Post
            Being able to easily add equip/unequip logic would be awesome! I've been trying to get that working as well. Glad I'm not the only one!
            The current implementation I have is to add an enum of EquipEffects to the InventoryItem struct, then in the Equip/UnEquip functions check to see if that enum != None and run a custom EquipEffect function that passes through the effect and whether the item has been equipped or unequipped. It then just switches through the different effects in the enum .
            It's just one way to do it and it could get rather bloated with lots of effects but the fact that there is no easy way to get UStructs to run functions (if anyone knows of other ways of doing this I'd love to knoe) this was the solution I came up with.

            Comment


              Originally posted by Fred.Horgan View Post
              should it not still run the UnEquip function for equipment though?
              Yes you are correct, I will make sure that any logic that Equips or UnEquips goes through the EquipFromInventory/EquipFromContainer & UnEquipToInventory/UnEquipToContainer functions.
              Then these both have a clear path to make it easier for calling custom logic. The fix should only be a couple quick screenshots like the other fixes in the thread.
              But if it ends up taking a few minutes to implement I will create a tutorial video.

              If anyone else finds anything similar where you think something can be handled better please let me know. I want to make sure this asset is the best it can be for everyone.
              \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

              Marketplace - Action RPG Inventory System | Multiplayer TopDown Kit | Advanced Social System
              Multiplayer TopDown Kit Tutorials - Merging The Action RPG Inventory System | Removing the Fog of War
              Action RPG Inventory Tutorials - Merging Into Your Project | Adding New Items | FPS Controls w/ UI Mode Toggle

              Comment


                Bummer. Still no ARPGIS update from Epic this morning.

                WIP Thread

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Rhynedahll View Post
                  Bummer. Still no ARPGIS update from Epic this morning.
                  They are EST so it's still very early in the morning :C
                  \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

                  Marketplace - Action RPG Inventory System | Multiplayer TopDown Kit | Advanced Social System
                  Multiplayer TopDown Kit Tutorials - Merging The Action RPG Inventory System | Removing the Fog of War
                  Action RPG Inventory Tutorials - Merging Into Your Project | Adding New Items | FPS Controls w/ UI Mode Toggle

                  Comment


                    Any updates on the overview tutorial and adding/removing equipment slots tutorial?

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by tamaster92 View Post
                      Any updates on the overview tutorial and adding/removing equipment slots tutorial?
                      I went through the process of changing the equipment slots for my own needs, and its not to hard to do on your own, i don't think a video tutorial is needed just a few screenshot with some pointers.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by OverRated_AU View Post
                        I went through the process of changing the equipment slots for my own needs, and its not to hard to do on your own, i don't think a video tutorial is needed just a few screenshot with some pointers.
                        Whatever works tbh

                        Tried it also but I must have been missing something, everything changed but I couldn't actually equip anything in the edited slot

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by tamaster92 View Post
                          Whatever works tbh

                          Tried it also but I must have been missing something, everything changed but I couldn't actually equip anything in the edited slot
                          You need to setup the array in the equipment widget, and also give your new slot in its properties a slot number which shoud match its variable name, you'll have to edit equipment character and the equipment component so the mesh shows up on your character, and dont forget your item also needs to be setup to use that slot.
                          Last edited by OverRated_AU; 02-26-2016, 03:09 AM.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Rhynedahll View Post
                            Bummer. Still no ARPGIS update from Epic this morning.
                            I reached out to them and received no response about when they plan on releasing it. I'm really surprised it's not released yet usually it's within a day or two at the most. I will try contacting them again

                            *Update*
                            Epic said it will be out today. We will just have to wait and see lol.

                            Originally posted by tamaster92 View Post
                            Any updates on the overview tutorial and adding/removing equipment slots tutorial?
                            They are still on the list of tutorials to do. Not many people have been asking for them so a few other tutorials took priority.
                            I just spent this weeks time I had slotted for tutorials creating the new project merge video for v1.3.

                            I really hope to have them finished soon they are a priority and I don't like having unfinished tasks sitting around.
                            Last edited by Pirate; 02-26-2016, 07:08 PM.
                            \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

                            Marketplace - Action RPG Inventory System | Multiplayer TopDown Kit | Advanced Social System
                            Multiplayer TopDown Kit Tutorials - Merging The Action RPG Inventory System | Removing the Fog of War
                            Action RPG Inventory Tutorials - Merging Into Your Project | Adding New Items | FPS Controls w/ UI Mode Toggle

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                              *Update*
                              Epic said it will be out today. We will just have to wait and see lol.
                              It appears as if they did not manage it. My launcher still doesn't show the update.

                              WIP Thread

                              Comment


                                I was wondering, can anyone point me to a good set of tutorials (I'd hate to ask for another to add to the queue here) to accurately get an existing mesh to play nice and be built using the existing skeleton so we can add working objects into the system? I'm pretty new to modeling, and I fought with it for a while and managed to either get a mesh that blinks/doesnt show up or get a mesh that is gigantic regardless of import scale or export settings. Rather then banging my head against a wall, only to figure it out by accident, I figured I'd ask on here since I've seen other people successfully add other objects. As a note, I have been able to add weapons, since they seem to use a more traditional 'Attach' approach rather than a skeletal one. Thanks in advance!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X