Action RPG Inventory System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OverRated_AU View Post
    Yeah I also have this bug seems to happen every time i load my project, I have talked to pirate about it and he also thinks its a bug with UMG.
    Thanks! It's a game killing bug for me.

WIP Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Rhynedahll View Post
      Thanks! It's a game killing bug for me.
      Yeah it is annoying but only takes a minute to fix if you compile after removing the hotbar so its not breaking any wires, i'm going to see if i can find a way to fix it later tonight.
      Last edited by OverRated_AU; 02-17-2016, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OverRated_AU View Post
        Yeah it is annoying but only takes a minute to fix if you compile after removing the hotbar so its not breaking any wires, i'm going to see if i can find a way to fix it later tonight.
        What specific sequence are you using to fix it?

While I can get the hotbar to re-appear in the PIE, once I close the editor and reload the fix is corrupted again.

WIP Thread

Comment

What specific sequence are you using to fix it?

While I can get the hotbar to re-appear in the PIE, once I close the editor and reload the fix is corrupted again.

No i haven't found a fix for this problem yet, what i was saying is if you remove the hotbar compile the blueprint before adding it back in, that way you wont need to reconnect those nodes, i think removing the hotbar from the inventory layout and adding it directly into parent will fix the problem though.

Comment

Maybe it's because I gave blood today, but my brain isn't firing for me tonight. Is it possible to set specific code to fire when individual items are equipped? For example, making the backback dynamically add/remove so many slots when it is equipped/unequipped? Or Turn on a glow, or other function fire? Probably obvious to implement, I just can't human right now..

Thanks.

Comment

+1 for chlballi, as I mentionned higher on this page that's def something that would be amazing

Comment

Originally posted by exphrasis View Post
                +1 for chlballi, as I mentionned higher on this page that's def something that would be amazing
                I must have missed your post, my bad. but yes; definitely that. Like an event thats 'onEquip' or some such..

Comment

@chlballi There is an OnRep notify function for each slot mesh change so you can put what you need to there. That is what I used to spawn my own weapon blueprint. The function is in Equipment Character, so you can just override it in your own character blueprint if you inherited from Equipment Character.
                  Marketplace Asset (Released): FPS Battle Royale Template with Gamesparks

Twitter: Spyke_Dev | Discord

Main Website

Comment

If anyone has the time, would you please try this for me?

Start a new project with the ARPGIS, then play from in the editor as a standalone game.

On each of my pc's, this caused the hotbar to disapear. (My above problem.)
                    It looks like the HotBar UMG blueprint got corrupted from a bug in 4.10. I will rebuild the hotbar widget from scratch and include it in the 1.3 update this should help.
                    an Unreal bug probably just garbled something in the blueprint, it really makes no sense why it's bugging out now the way it is.

* Update *
                    It seems to be an issue with the slots themselves in the hotbar being corrupted. I guess at runtime it's triggering some glitch that it ignores when you play in editor.
                    It's 6:30am now so I'll create a workaround for the UMG bug tomorrow and post it asap.

Originally posted by chlballi View Post
                    I must have missed your post, my bad. but yes; definitely that. Like an event thats 'onEquip' or some such..
                    Like toxic gaming just mentioned there are events that fire when you equip/unequip items. If you look in the InventoryManagerComponent it might be a little overwhelming at first but the functions are named very descriptively. You can also use break points to step through and help find the spot that might be ideal for you to add your custom logic.

I would suggest putting your logic you want into it's own function and then setting up some simple checks during the Equip/Unequip functions that call your logic when you want to.
                    You can also take a look at UpdateEquippedStats() if you want a more general example of a function that always gets called when something is equipped or unequipped. If you search references to that function it might help you figure out a good spot in the code to add your logic.

Depending on what you want to do you might want to add it in the PlayerCharacter when something is equipped/Unequipped it fires an OnRep_Notify for that equipment slot.
                    So it's a great place to add some custom logic if it's character related.
                    Last edited by Pirate; 02-18-2016, 01:27 AM.
                    \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Marketplace - Action RPG Inventory System | Multiplayer TopDown Kit | Advanced Social System
                    Multiplayer TopDown Kit Tutorials - Merging The Action RPG Inventory System | Removing the Fog of War
                    Action RPG Inventory Tutorials - Merging Into Your Project | Adding New Items | FPS Controls w/ UI Mode Toggle

Comment

I appreciate it, both of you. That gives me a jumping point. As I mentioned, I probably could have eventually found it, but assumed someone had already done similar and could point me in the right direction. Thanks again.

Comment

Have a pre-sale question: will this work with User this Interface Kit? https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...-interface-kit
                        Thanks!

EDIT: just bought it and will buy the Interface Kit also so I can test it and see if it is working
                        Last edited by odi; 02-18-2016, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                          * Update *
                          It seems to be an issue with the slots themselves in the hotbar being corrupted. I guess at runtime it's triggering some glitch that it ignores when you play in editor.
                          It's 6:30am now so I'll create a workaround for the UMG bug tomorrow and post it asap.
                          Excellent!

WIP Thread

Comment

Excellent!
                            I rebuilt the Hotbar and the Hotbar_Slots from scratch and it fixed the issue.

Since I am making changes to the UI I think I'm going to take this opportunity to switch the UI to an interface system and remove all references for triggering the events on the PlayerController->InventoryManagerComponent.

So you will now just simply have to add the InventoryHUDInterface to your player controller and the HUD will just work. You won't need to go through the HUD and update/recast to your controller references during migrations. This will also potentially help avoid any other bugs that may happen down the road as changes to the engine and UMG are made by Epic.

I will keep you all posted on the progress of the 1.3 update.

* UPDATE *

Here is a quick example of what is changing with the removal of references to the Player Controller/InventoryManagerComponent in the Inventory UI in version 1.3

Click image for larger version

Name:	InventoryHUDInterface_small.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	1100810
                            Click to load the full version

I will submit v1.3 on Monday/Tuesday.
                            Last edited by Pirate; 02-18-2016, 06:55 PM.
                            \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Marketplace - Action RPG Inventory System | Multiplayer TopDown Kit | Advanced Social System
                            Multiplayer TopDown Kit Tutorials - Merging The Action RPG Inventory System | Removing the Fog of War
                            Action RPG Inventory Tutorials - Merging Into Your Project | Adding New Items | FPS Controls w/ UI Mode Toggle

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                              I rebuilt the Hotbar and the Hotbar_Slots from scratch and it fixed the issue.
                              When I encountered this error on a previous occasion with a hotbar that I created following a tutorial, I rebuilt the nested widgets just as you describe. The issue appeared fixed at first but reappeared. I suspect that it is not the widgets themselves, but the engine.

I will submit v1.3 on Monday/Tuesday.
                              Looking forward to it! The new design looks great.

WIP Thread

Comment

Version 1.3 - February 23rd 2016
                                ------- Update Notes -------

I have included links to previous posts where these changes/fixes were posted to help users who are migrating manually.

Inventory System:
                                *Fixed* issue with stats not calculating on start if the player is wearing starting equipment.
                                Fix details can be found here

*Fixed* issue with forward loop when removing multiple inventory slots dynamically.
                                Fix details can be found here

User Interface:

*Update* Added a UI Blueprint Interface class for the Player Controller to remove the need for casting to your own player controller in the UI widgets to access the InventoryManagerComponent.
                                This will insure that as the Unreal Engine progresses it will be less likely for blueprints or issues to arise from upgrading to newer versions of the engine.
                                Update details can be found here

*Fixed* UMG Hotbar not showing for some users when running in standalone.
                                This issue was caused by a corruption in the UMG BP. This was fixed with the changes to the UI widgets above.

I would say that the UI changes are optional if you aren't having any issues with the demo UMG content and unreal, but I recommended them if you are using the DEMO UI as a core part of your project.
                                If able, please remove your old inventory files and merge a new copy into your project using the new version 1.3 migration video.

A quick guide to manually making the changes from 1.3 for exiting projects that are using version 1.2 where merging from a fresh 1.3 isn't an option.

Spoiler

The new migration tutorial for update 1.3 is on YouTube.
                                I will point the original tutorial links to it when the update is live

Last edited by Pirate; 02-28-2016, 08:52 PM.
                                \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Comment

Working...
                                X