Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Action RPG Inventory System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by chlballi View Post
    Awesome work. I did notice a bug, however. When your character first spawns, it has all of the equipment... but the stats don't update unless you move an item in your inventory first. Doesn't matter what is moved, or changed, but something has to envoke the inventory prior to it updating those numbers. They remain at 0. I'm trying to work out a fix for myself...uneventfully.

    EDIT: I tried to just add a stat point, then take it away, but that didn't seem to work..
    Ok that was my mistake. To fix it all you have to do is call the UpdateEquippedStats() function at the end of RefreshInventorySlots().
    I will update the screenshot for the 1.2 update notes and include this fix in the next update.

    UpdateEquippedStats() is the function you call anytime you want to recalculate your equipped stats. Stats must be changed and calculated on the server.
    The values are replicated back to the client to display on the HUD. You should not change stat values on the client.



    Click image for larger version

Name:	func_refreshinvetoryslots.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1099893
    Last edited by Pirate; 02-04-2016, 09:55 PM.
    \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

    Marketplace - Action RPG Inventory System | Multiplayer TopDown Kit | Advanced Social System
    Multiplayer TopDown Kit Tutorials - Merging The Action RPG Inventory System | Removing the Fog of War
    Action RPG Inventory Tutorials - Merging Into Your Project | Adding New Items | FPS Controls w/ UI Mode Toggle

    Comment


      Originally posted by Pirate View Post
      Ok that was my mistake. To fix it all you have to do is call the UpdateEquippedStats() function at the end of RefreshInventorySlots().
      I will update the screenshot for the 1.2 update notes and include this fix in the next update.

      UpdateEquippedStats() is the function you call anytime you want to recalculate your equipped stats. Stats must be changed and calculated on the server.
      The values are replicated back to the client to display on the HUD. You should not change stat values on the client.



      [ATTACH=CONFIG]77163[/ATTACH]
      Perfect! I was even trying to use that, just wasn't using it in the right spot. Thanks again!

      Comment


        For anyone trying to update their bp's to the current version, open the new source project and your project, then follow the change list by going to the demo source project and seeing the changes(can also copy) and then paste into your files, you might need to clean it up like make new local vars, ect.

        update worked wonderfully for me

        edit, this is something that has always effected my project, dragging and dropping the umg widgets ontop of one another make the dragging one disappear, and it's no longer able to be hidden, or visible.

        Repro:

        Hit i to open all umg
        walk to loot container open it
        click drag title bar of container or any umg imghere
        drag drop onto another one imghere
        umg widget you're holding on to disappears imghere
        Last edited by SaxonRah; 02-05-2016, 04:11 AM.
        Youtube
        Machine Learning C++ Plugin
        Lindenmayer System C++ Plugin

        Comment


          Originally posted by SaxonRah View Post
          update worked wonderfully for me

          edit, this is something that has always effected my project, dragging and dropping the umg widgets ontop of one another make the dragging one disappear, and it's no longer able to be hidden, or visible.

          Repro:

          Hit i to open all umg
          walk to loot container open it
          click drag title bar of container or any umg imghere
          drag drop onto another one imghere
          umg widget you're holding on to disappears imghere
          You really shouldn't be having issues with dropping widgets if you merged all the changes . Double check your OnDrop() functions in your UI widgets to make sure they match.





          Also since a few users are having issues with importing art I have added a new simple tutorial on Youtube for importing weapons.
          I hope this helps with importing your art into the unreal engine. I will try and finish the tutorial on skinning clothing ASAP.

          But I can't stress enough that these issues are not related to the inventory system but issues with exporting and importing art into the engine itself.
          There are many art tutorials provided by epic that will help you learn how to import and setup your art assets in unreal or cleanup art you bought from the marketplace that might not be setup properly.

          Last edited by Pirate; 02-05-2016, 06:25 AM.
          \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

          Marketplace - Action RPG Inventory System | Multiplayer TopDown Kit | Advanced Social System
          Multiplayer TopDown Kit Tutorials - Merging The Action RPG Inventory System | Removing the Fog of War
          Action RPG Inventory Tutorials - Merging Into Your Project | Adding New Items | FPS Controls w/ UI Mode Toggle

          Comment


            I finally got my character model to use the unreal skeleton and animations correctly, now to start adding my own items.


            Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1099927

            Comment


              Nice , don't forget to move the Hand Sockets up and in a bit
              \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

              Marketplace - Action RPG Inventory System | Multiplayer TopDown Kit | Advanced Social System
              Multiplayer TopDown Kit Tutorials - Merging The Action RPG Inventory System | Removing the Fog of War
              Action RPG Inventory Tutorials - Merging Into Your Project | Adding New Items | FPS Controls w/ UI Mode Toggle

              Comment


                Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                You really shouldn't be having issues with dropping widgets if you merged all the changes . Double check your OnDrop() functions in your UI widgets to make sure they match.
                That's what I missed when I was diffing! Thanks a crapload. You're amazing <3
                Youtube
                Machine Learning C++ Plugin
                Lindenmayer System C++ Plugin

                Comment


                  The flickering, invisible equipped items is a real pain. Updated to 4.11 Preview to check to see if it was fixed and no luck. Made sure to double check I was complying with your specific tutorial instructions and guidelines.

                  I know it's an engine thing, but it really puts on the hard breaks on when trying to expand or modify the item library. Would love to explore workarounds.

                  This is really great item BTW. Seriously impressed all round.

                  One small thing I've found. Using the in editor preview, I dragged the character and item windows fully off the game pane and they are gone forever. Can't get them back.
                  Last edited by SlightlyLive; 02-06-2016, 07:11 AM.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by SlightlyLive View Post
                    The flickering, invisible equipped items is a real pain. Updated to 4.11 Preview to check to see if it was fixed and no luck. Made sure to double check I was complying with your specific tutorial instructions and guidelines.

                    I know it's an engine thing, but it really puts on the hard breaks on when trying to expand or modify the item library. Would love to explore workarounds.

                    This is really great item BTW. Seriously impressed all round.

                    One small thing I've found. Using the in editor preview, I dragged the character and item windows fully off the game pane and they are gone forever. Can't get them back.
                    I understand your frustrations, it's a shame it was all good in 4.9.2 now people seem to be having issues even though 4.10 is supposed to be a stability release.
                    Please don't forget to write your issues on answer hub so that they can get fixed. The more people reporting it the quicker it will be addressed.


                    As for the UI that is expected behavior since the Inventory System provides Inventory Demo Widgets and wasn't meant to be a UI framework for a game.
                    I have it on a list of things to add for a future update just waiting to see what else is needed. It is not much work for people to do themselves if they want it earlier and it's a good exercise for learning UMG.
                    Last edited by Pirate; 02-06-2016, 09:23 AM.
                    \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

                    Marketplace - Action RPG Inventory System | Multiplayer TopDown Kit | Advanced Social System
                    Multiplayer TopDown Kit Tutorials - Merging The Action RPG Inventory System | Removing the Fog of War
                    Action RPG Inventory Tutorials - Merging Into Your Project | Adding New Items | FPS Controls w/ UI Mode Toggle

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                      I understand your frustrations, it's a shame it was all good in 4.9.2 now people seem to be having issues even though 4.10 is supposed to be a stability release.
                      Please don't forget to write your issues on answer hub so that they can get fixed. The more people reporting it the quicker it will be addressed.


                      As for the UI that is expected behavior since the Inventory System provides Inventory Demo Widgets and wasn't meant to be a UI framework for a game.
                      I have it on a list of things to add for a future update just waiting to see what else is needed. It is not much work for people to do themselves if they want it earlier and it's a good exercise for learning UMG.
                      Thanks for the response. I really appreciate the time and effort folks like yourself put into your work and sharing it on the marketplace.

                      Edit: I just started from scratch again, just to double check each step and I think I found out what was happening. It's entirely a mistake on my part. Pretty sure it was all along.

                      I didn't name the bone on the new item I was importing Root. That was one thing I overlooked and the only thing I changed and got, finally, a solid non-flickering item. I didn't want to write up on the answer hub without being sure so I'm glad I went back and checked and found this oversight. I can't speak to anyone else having this issue, but I'm happy to say it was all my fault and not the Blueprints or the engine or anyone else's.
                      Last edited by SlightlyLive; 02-06-2016, 10:55 AM.

                      Comment


                        When Rightclicking an Equipped Item it seems it just calls MoveItem, and as such Unequip Item is not called, while a drag and drop calls Unequip Item.

                        Fixed it to use UnequipItem instead, can't really see why it used MoveItem? I had added some custom code to equip and unequip otherwise I wouldnt have noticed it tbh.
                        Last edited by Mopperl; 02-06-2016, 11:23 AM.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Mopperl View Post
                          When Rightclicking an Equipped Item it seems it just calls MoveItem, and as such Unequip Item is not called, while a drag and drop calls Unequip Item ?
                          It calls UseEquipmentItem() when right clicking from inventory(to equip) or from equipment (to unequip). If unequipping through right click to use the unequip path then calls MoveItem() to move it out of an equipment slot (Inventory Slot 0-13) back to a non-equipment slot (14+). There is different logic for right clicking than for the normal drag and dropping.

                          Right click to use is based on the item type. The server checks what it is and figures out what to do based on where it is.

                          Where as with drag and drop you tell the server you want to move something from X and put it in Y at location Z. Then it checks what it is and where it's going and figures out what to do.

                          So for example if you were drag and dropping it would be more complicated because if you dropped on an item it would have to check if that item could swap and equip. But with the simple right click to unequip it just checks to see if you have a free space to equip it to and doesn't need all the fancy unequip/swap/equip logic.
                          Last edited by Pirate; 02-06-2016, 11:36 AM.
                          \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

                          Marketplace - Action RPG Inventory System | Multiplayer TopDown Kit | Advanced Social System
                          Multiplayer TopDown Kit Tutorials - Merging The Action RPG Inventory System | Removing the Fog of War
                          Action RPG Inventory Tutorials - Merging Into Your Project | Adding New Items | FPS Controls w/ UI Mode Toggle

                          Comment


                            Really enjoying the system so far and looking forward to the Multiplayer TopDown Kit!

                            I have a question, although it may be a little beyond the scope of what the package offers so feel free to not answer

                            The player stats (such as Strength, Dexterity, etc) in the demo are tied only to the Controller's Inventory Manager Component (IMC), correct? Am I correct in that you want to pass these variables up to the Controller if you're going to have game logic involving them, such as using a skill that deals extra damage based on Intelligence? I imagine it would be best to update the HUD to use the Controller values then, considering the Controller class may have base stats etc. I'm imagining that the effect of item properties (i.e. any "stat-like" variable in the IMC) is to serve as a bonus to the player rather than form the basis of the player's attributes. Maybe it would then be easiest to bundle "stat-like" variables in the IMC to a Struct or something to push to the player as part of a buff system. I'm also imagining that item properties will have some more exotic effects that affect the way skills, player damage, etc. work (rather than simple stat boosts). Any inclination to how best to start moving this Inventory system into that direction? So far it has been a little tiresome to add even one or two additional stats items can have, since it's your system I thought I'd ask. This is starting to sound like a do my designing for me! post...

                            Comment


                              How can we add new item quality for our items?

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                                On the Inventory System end it would still be very straight forward as it is a modular system.

                                What I see being the difficult (or maybe only tedious part) would be removing his inventory/item system from his demo content. If you understand his system and take a bit of time to learn the Inventory System you should see that they fit quite well together. There are huge benefits to using the Inventory System in a c++ project with database networking already setup. That will allow you to really enhance the Inventory System.

                                I am open to creating a tutorial in the future if more people request it.
                                I would be very interested in seeing this as well. Btw great job on it looking forward to purchasing when the money comes in.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X