Action RPG Inventory System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mahluus7 View Post
    Scyclone not 100% sure what your problem could be as there are no screenshots, but i'm guessing your item is not rotated and positioned correctly with it's 'world origin' at 0,0,0 (it's transforms all at zero in other words).
    1. A quick UE4 hack that may work for you is to drag the item into a level, any level will do.
    2. Set the location to 0, 0, 0 in the Transform section.
    3. Make sure the item is rotated correctly, vertical for melee and horizontal for guns.
    4. Where ever the pivot point is will be where your character ends up holding the item, so adjust as you see fit.
    5. Right click on the item and select Merge Actor
    6. Under Mesh Settings make sure the box 'Pivot Point at Zero' is ticked.

Your new static mesh will now have the pivot point set to zero and you should be good to go. This will only work if your items pivot point is at 0, 0, 0 on the level in step 1 when you place it.

Hope that helps.
    Heya Mahluus7 , you make a fair point - a picture is worth a thousand words

Essentially, the axe is attaching to the socket - it just looks wierd in terms of rotations and such. I mean that could lead to a very painful circumcision I'd imagine :P.

Would the information above apply to that?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Scyclone; 10-07-2020, 06:57 PM.

Comment

As an unrelated note, I've been working with adding in new stats and such to my items. And I have had 'some' success thus far.

I added in Damage (Objects) to items that are designed for harvesting (Axe/Pickaxe/etc), as well as Constitution. I updated the itemlist, updated all relevant structures that I can think of and from a mechanical standpoint. It does apply the statistics to the item because it is populating into my equipment screen. For the screenshot example, I have put in 2 constitution for the bladed shoulder piece.

I have narrowed down the issue in that it doesn't seem to populate "ItemToolTipInfo" with the data on my item's constitution bonus. I did a test on the visibility (and basically set it always visible) and it returned a blank line [further showing me that the 'BreakToolTipInfo' for Constitution is returning me no value]. Is there some extra step I missed somewhere or something I can do to correct this issue?

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Scyclone View Post
        As an unrelated note, I've been working with adding in new stats and such to my items. And I have had 'some' success thus far.

I added in Damage (Objects) to items that are designed for harvesting (Axe/Pickaxe/etc), as well as Constitution. I updated the itemlist, updated all relevant structures that I can think of and from a mechanical standpoint. It does apply the statistics to the item because it is populating into my equipment screen. For the screenshot example, I have put in 2 constitution for the bladed shoulder piece.

I have narrowed down the issue in that it doesn't seem to populate "ItemToolTipInfo" with the data on my item's constitution bonus. I did a test on the visibility (and basically set it always visible) and it returned a blank line [further showing me that the 'BreakToolTipInfo' for Constitution is returning me no value]. Is there some extra step I missed somewhere or something I can do to correct this issue?

Shoot... I came here for the exact same issue. I added a Hunger value, but it keeps returning 0. If I find a solution, I will post here and send you a message.

Comment

Okay so I found out where else you needed to hook up your new entries. You need to open the Inventory_Slot, Container_Slot, and Hotbar_Slot and open the Get_ToolTip_Widget function. You should see there where you need to hook things up. Hope that helps.

Comment

hi i in need of help..so i've integrated arpgis and als v4 (https://github.com/dyanikoglu/ALSV4_CPP) into my project..i wanna do when i equip a specific weapon,it will play that weapon aniamtion overlay state..what i've tried so far is in inventoryitem struct,i added a new element called "OverlayState" of type alsoverlaystate...what this do is when i define the item properties,i can set the weapon to use its overlay state for example,if i equip a bow,it will play that bow overlay state..after that in equipmentinventorycomponent,inventorymanagercomponent in the equipitem,unequipitem,updateequippedmeshes and updatemainhandweapon,i break the struct of inventory item and i set the overlay state( picture below)..i thought this should play the weapon overlay state,for bow it will play the aiming overlay..but it didnt and i get this error..anyone know any solution i can do?ping me

my discord:KhaiSaki#1061
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by hydrax View Post
              I solved it. But its not perfect.
              Can i just add an item via ID ?
              Click image for larger version Name:	UE4_Inventory_AddNewElement.png Views:	2 Size:	121.8 KB ID:	1561146
              Just wanted to say Thanks for this! I have the inventory working fine, but do you think I could work out how to add a bloody item via blueprints - all good, works so thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Rhynedahll View Post

I had just gotten the AdvSocSys integrated when I made the video. I haven't worked on making the inventory/player state persistent across server/map changes yet. What I have in mind is having the inventory, player equipment, and etc loaded from a db each time a player zones, but still need to sort out how to get direct access from UE4 to the game. Much work ahead.
                It's been 5 years since your original reply to this question. I was wondering if you had ever gotten a chance to re-visit this?

Comment

Originally posted by Cmcginn View Post

As it stands it needs Skeletal mesh, you can export and reimport to get a Sk mesh or you would have to customize it to also use static, might take a little bit but not hard.

They use a static socket name, so to make it variable you would have to add string, enum, etc to the Struct and manually set it up to use the variable instead of the static socket name. Also, little bit of work but not really difficult.
                  can you please show a tutorial of how to convert a mesh that isn't made with the ue4 skeleton to one that will work with this system?

i took a look at the items provided and for example, the helmet is floating in the sky (not at 0,0,0) and has some spine bone references??

i did a search and pirate said that it was because it's more professional that way...but doesn't UE kind of moves attached items along with the bones now?

Comment

Originally posted by Terror X View Post

It's been 5 years since your original reply to this question. I was wondering if you had ever gotten a chance to re-visit this?
                    We did enable saving and loading the inventory and various character stats (location, health, and so forth) to a DB through a java socket server ( via the LE Socket Connection plugin). The socket server is fast but this might more readily be done with some of the modern web methods.

Because of the overlaps between the AdvSocSys and ARPGIS, we encountered many incompatibilities and removed the AdvSocSys. In our application, chat and the player groups should be handled by separate servers and there are much better chat solutions now available

RL has kept me from working on any programming for about a year now and all of this is rusty to me and I'd have to do a major review to recall any of the details.

WIP Thread

Comment

Hello,

i was wondering if there is some option how to turn on/turn off the saving system. It´s included in this? I am really not sure. If it´s not, how to save all whole inventory?

Comment

Has anyone had any success with trying to change out the player controller responsibility to a player state or character? Been working on this for about a week now (been too timid to until now lol)

I've nearly got it but I'm not generating an inventory. I'm wondering if a player state is not able to do this

Update: I've managed to get the inventory grid to generate from the player state instead of the controller. The controller just calls the UI elements now. Throwing some errors trying to generate the equipment inventory (player inventory) from the player state though. For some reason it is not a huge fan of the idea. Going to do some more tinkering
                        Last edited by Nejibana; 12-23-2020, 03:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paxie_ View Post
                          Hello,

i was wondering if there is some option how to turn on/turn off the saving system. It´s included in this? I am really not sure. If it´s not, how to save all whole inventory?
                          this project does not have a save system

Comment

Heya Mahluus7 , you make a fair point - a picture is worth a thousand words

Essentially, the axe is attaching to the socket - it just looks wierd in terms of rotations and such. I mean that could lead to a very painful circumcision I'd imagine :P.

Would the information above apply to that?
                            Scyclone, unsure if you've fixed your issue yet, but the most effective method to fix this problem would be to export your custom weapon mesh to a 3rd party program
                            such as Blender and manually adjust the rotation of the skeletal mesh and then reimport. Hope this helps

Comment

Maybe this would help. Tutorial - Action RPG Inventory System - Weapon Import/Export - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Nejibana View Post
                                Has anyone had any success with trying to change out the player controller responsibility to a player state or character? Been working on this for about a week now (been too timid to until now lol)

I've nearly got it but I'm not generating an inventory. I'm wondering if a player state is not able to do this

Update: I've managed to get the inventory grid to generate from the player state instead of the controller. The controller just calls the UI elements now. Throwing some errors trying to generate the equipment inventory (player inventory) from the player state though. For some reason it is not a huge fan of the idea. Going to do some more tinkering
                                Why would you even what to move the inventory from the controller ?

Comment

Working...
                                X