No announcement yet.

Action RPG Inventory System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a heads up for everyone using the demo UI in your own projects, there are a few changes to the hit tests on UMG elements that will really improve the ToolTip and Drag Window code.
    To save yourself a little bit of extra work I would suggest waiting until the update tomorrow before you integrate the UI into your own project.

There are some solid improvements and minor tweaks that overall are giving it even a more polished feel over the 1.0 HUD.
    \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Marketplace - Action RPG Inventory System | Multiplayer TopDown Kit | Advanced Social System
    Multiplayer TopDown Kit Tutorials - Merging The Action RPG Inventory System | Removing the Fog of War
    Action RPG Inventory Tutorials - Merging Into Your Project | Adding New Items | FPS Controls w/ UI Mode Toggle

Comment

Added a print string and it is apparently calling for it and both controller ref and inv manager component are hooked as well

Comment

Originally posted by exphrasis View Post
        Added a print string and it is apparently calling for it and both controller ref and inv manager component are hooked as well
        All I can suggest without seeing your project is stepping through it with a breakpoint and see if something got unhooked along the way.
        It's calling the exact code for closing the container as it does when hitting E so it's weird it works with one and not the other.
        The ServerCloseContainer() function in the InventoryManagerComponent is where the container close gets sent back to the client.
        Last edited by Pirate; 01-31-2016, 09:00 PM.
        \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Marketplace - Action RPG Inventory System | Multiplayer TopDown Kit | Advanced Social System
        Multiplayer TopDown Kit Tutorials - Merging The Action RPG Inventory System | Removing the Fog of War
        Action RPG Inventory Tutorials - Merging Into Your Project | Adding New Items | FPS Controls w/ UI Mode Toggle

Comment

hey im wondering if you are adding class or gender specific items to this once the Multiplayer TopDown Kit is out?

Comment

Your migration tutorial is good, though I wish you didnt skip the health and other minor parts to save time (for the sake of being clear from start to finish). However, I was able to get everything running by using your video. Good job!

Comment

Originally posted by DjGrave View Post
              hey im wondering if you are adding class or gender specific items to this once the Multiplayer TopDown Kit is out?
              The items are not meant to be for production. They are simple test items to showcase the different features. You can use them however you want, but I will mostly only add items to showcase new functionality.
              For example I have added a simple gun in the next update to showcase how guns are setup vs melee weapons just to make it clear to people when they import skeletal meshes.
              \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Comment

Originally posted by OverRated_AU View Post
                Ill wait till the next update to start changing things so its fine, i've just be trying to get my head around the layout of things at the moment, There seems to be more than one issue with dragging the UI, even dragging it back and forwards within the view port can crash it.

Here is something for you to look forward to tomorrow

Dragging back and forth like a madman is also fixed in the update.
                Last edited by Pirate; 02-01-2016, 03:46 AM.
                \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                  The items are not meant to be for production. They are simple test items to showcase the different features. You can use them however you want, but I will mostly only add items to showcase new functionality.
                  For example I have added a simple gun in the next update to showcase how guns are setup vs melee weapons just to make it clear to people when they import skeletal meshes.
                  I think he ment functionality wise rather than meshes, in other context will you be adding in item classes which can only be equipped for the character class your playing, a example would be wizard hat can only be equipped by a wizard and so on, but leaving the freedom like you have opens up the ability to build your character how you want.

Comment

Version 1.1 - February 1st 2016
                    ------- Update Notes -------

Art:
                    - *Updated* Sockets on SK_Mannequin_Skeleton to support changed weapon asset rotation.
                    Changed MainHand - Location(-12, 4, 1.5) Rotation (8, 32, 96) - OffHand Socket - Location(12, -7.5, 0) Rotation (-164, 32, 86)
                    - *Added* Prototype Rifle Weapon Item
                    New Assets: SK_Weapon_Rifle_Assault, SM_Weapon_Rifle_Assault, ICON_Weapon_Rifle_Assault
                    - *Updated* Melee weapons and shield skeletal meshes with new rotation

Inventory:
                    - *Changed* Item Amount & MaxStackSize from BYTE to INT
                    Note: Changes where made in the following classes to support these struct changes

Spoiler

User Interface:
                    Note: Pretty much every UMG blueprint had a small change.
                    - *Fixed* Drag and Drop of widgets sometimes hiding widget on drop.
                    - *Updated* Renamed Backpack to Inventory and Character to Equipment for better consistency
                    - *Fixed* Sticky ToolTip Issue and improved the mouse hover logic for Inventory/Container Slots.
                    Note: Made a few changes in the Inventory Manager Component

Spoiler

Epic has the update and it should be released sometime during EST work hours today.
                    Last edited by Pirate; 02-01-2016, 03:46 AM.
                    \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Comment

I think he ment functionality wise rather than meshes, in other context will you be adding in item classes which can only be equipped for the character class your playing, a example would be wizard hat can only be equipped by a wizard and so on, but leaving the freedom like you have opens up the ability to build your character how you want.
                      Sorry that is exactly what I meant to say.

also lets say for the prototype rifle, when equipping it is there going to be an example of it taking 2 slots in the UI inventory. Like the main and off hand or it it just using the main hand slot?
                      Last edited by DjGrave; 02-01-2016, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Sorry that is exactly what I meant to say.
                        If you want class specific items you could create a new Enum for Classes (IE All, Warrior, Rogue, Wizard)
                        Then you would add a new Item Property called something like ClassesAllowed of your new type Enum Classes. By default leave it to All.
                        Now you can use that to set it up in the UI to read this data to show what classes can equip this item in the ItemToolTip. If it's set to All you will probably want to hide the text.
                        (You can see examples of this already in the ToolTip)
                        When you try and equip it just add a quick check in the OnEquip logic to compare the Characters class to what the Item ClassesAllowed is set to if it's something other than All.
                        The same could be done for gender or race specific items. Adding something like a required item level would be even easier (if you have a level system )

also lets say for the prototype rifle, when equipping it is there going to be an example of it taking 2 slots in the UI inventory. Like the main and off hand or it it just using the main hand slot?

It will just be 1 handed.

Adding Two-Handed Weapon types that un-equip the OffHand slot when equipped and prevents it from being used should be fairly straight forward when a little more familiar with the system.
                        If you give it a try and have troubles let me know and I will offer advice and add it to the list of tutorials to make.
                        Last edited by Pirate; 02-01-2016, 02:26 AM.
                        \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Comment

Here is something for you to look forward to tomorrow

Dragging back and forth like a madman is also fixed in the update.
                          Very Nice PS that image doesn't show haha.

I will give that a crack making two handed weapons show up in both slots after the update is out.

Pirate do you have any idea why i would get this message when export skeleton mesh in 3ds max? thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	error.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	1099672
                          Last edited by OverRated_AU; 02-01-2016, 03:50 AM.

Comment

Very Nice PS that image doesn't show haha.
                            ahh postimg.org must do that to the images to force you to click and view their ads. It looked fine on my screen but I guess that was because I had it cached :C
                            I've updated the images on the earlier posts.

I will give that a crack making two handed weapons show up in both slots after the update is out.
                            That sounds great, I definitely encourage people to create tutorials and help support each other.

Pirate do you have any idea why i would get this message when export skeleton mesh in 3ds max? thanks
                            Hrmm not sure does it still import to unreal? sometimes the warnings in Maya don't prevent the FBX from being exported and imported into unreal.
                            But I haven't used max in years. If you are seeing it I'm pretty sure other max users have ran into the issue at some point.

You should join Slack and ask in the #Animation or #Graphics channel

If people aren't aware there is an unreal development community that uses slack. It's a great place to talk with other people and bounce ideas off of.
                            Unreal Slackers Slack Group Info
                            \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Comment

Hrmm not sure does it still import to unreal? sometimes the warnings in Maya don't prevent the FBX from being exported and imported into unreal.
                              But I haven't used max in years. If you are seeing it I'm pretty sure other max users have ran into the issue at some point.
                              It does show but only if every think is weighted to a single bone, if i use more than 1 bone to weight the mesh only one bones mesh will show up in the editor, I even tested importing one of yours and still got the message when exporting it with nothing changed.

Yep just joined stack

Comment

Hi Pirate,

I seem to be having the same issues as others with weapons not showing when equipping. Even after I added a physics asset and recompiled and saved everything, the weapon still would not show up. I noticed in your video, you renamed the root bone to "Root". Is this necessary for this to work? As a reference, I'm using the FPS Weapons Pack from the store, which has all of the FBX files in case I need to change anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X