Action RPG Inventory System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OverRated_AU View Post
    But i would like a run down video of how this was setup it will help people understand more on how to change things as well.
    My focus this next week is to get the Character and Item Customization tutorials finished and released.
    I think those will really fill in the blanks for people who may not have had a lot of time to dig through and learn the system intimately yet.

Originally posted by exphrasis View Post
    thanks a lot for your answers ! Indeed I wondered if I had to skin it but I thought there would be a quicker 'dirty ' way for grey-box purpose.

Another tutorial that would be very awesome is how to get stats or where to find which slot is equipped with what to then create actions. IE: get the intelligence from the magic hat, and being able to send this to a different blueprint, like 'if intelligence on chara total= 10+, then mana bar = 100 or something. Hope that makes sense.

I'll also second what others have said, this is a really good system and probably why you're getting so many inquiries and questions You could really use that system in a lot of different types of games.
    If you look into the InventoryManagerComponent there is a function called UpdateEquippedStats() which is called each time you equip/unequip an item. That would be a good place to start and extend with your logic.

I really appreciate the positive response it has received and I look forward to supporting this system for a very long time as I will be using it in our own game. I have no plans to drop off the face of the earth and stop improving it. Please don't forget to rate it on the marketplace with how many stars you think it deserves.

I would love to hear everyone's feedback on what type of enhancements and new features you would like to see in future updates.
    But lets try and keep them general and not too specific to one persons design.

I have also uploaded the Merging into a project tutorial.

Last edited by Pirate; 01-31-2016, 01:17 AM.
    \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Marketplace - Action RPG Inventory System | Multiplayer TopDown Kit | Advanced Social System
    Multiplayer TopDown Kit Tutorials - Merging The Action RPG Inventory System | Removing the Fog of War
    Action RPG Inventory Tutorials - Merging Into Your Project | Adding New Items | FPS Controls w/ UI Mode Toggle

Comment

Everything works great, I have just run into one small problem. when I added a new weapon from the Infinity blades weapon to test out it disappears when equipping it depending on the camera view.

Comment

Originally posted by DjGrave View Post
        Everything works great, I have just run into one small problem. when I added a new weapon from the Infinity blades weapon to test out it disappears when equipping it depending on the camera view.
        Same problem is with me. I have tried add Knife from Scifiweapon package. It appears in inventory/equipment but newer shows in player hand

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
          I would also love to hear everyones feedback on what type of enhancements and new features you would like to see in future updates.
          But lets try and keep them general and not too specific to one persons design.
          Thanks for the video Pirate, for future features a collect all button would be nice and maybe a stash all button as well so you can dump your inventory into a loot box auto stacking items already there? In the center of the EQUIPMENT would be cool if it displayed your character there, Maybe have a lock button on the EQUIPMENT inventory as well so it disables hot swapping for each equipped item just in case, also adding in the use of the mouse wheel on the hotbar with a highlight for the selected item would also be good for people using the inventory for other types of games.

Ill be trying to work in a crafting system for my needs not to sure how to go about this yet.

Thanks for the support you gave given so far.
          Last edited by OverRated_AU; 01-30-2016, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tero83 View Post
            Same problem is with me. I have tried add Knife from Scifiweapon package. It appears in inventory/equipment but newer shows in player hand
            I have kinda figured out the problem. The weapon needs a physics asset and it will show up after that. Now the problem is that the weapon show up reversed then how is shows it when previewing it in the skeleton, but thats an easy fix.

Comment

Was bored so i made some Unreal Mannequin Chest Armor and thought i would share .

Comment

Originally posted by tero83 View Post
                I have kinda figured out the problem. The weapon needs a physics asset and it will show up after that. Now the problem is that the weapon show up reversed then how is shows it when previewing it in the skeleton, but thats an easy fix.
                I am seeing this now adding an Infinity Blade asset if they don't have a generated Physics Asset. I didn't have this issue in older versions of the engine, I guess it must be a new bug yay!

For anyone else experiencing missing/flashing weapons make sure your Skeletal Mesh has a Physics Asset.
                You can right click on the Skeletal Mesh asset in your browser and select create a Physics Asset.
                Another way to generate it is to Export your SK_Mesh, remove it from the project and re-import it. It will generate a new Physics Asset and Skeleton on import

I have added a quick tutorial troubleshooting with the Knife from Scifi weapon package.
                (Looks like part of the issue was the one mentioned above, as that would explain why it wouldn't show in the hand until the character was hidden)

SKIP TO 2:00 in the video for the part of the tutorial on how to create a basic weapon skeleton and bind your mesh to it.

The existing demo weapons are exporting facing the +Y as shown in the video.
                I will switch the Melee weapons/Shield in the the first update to be +Z to match Infinity Blade where they stand up like this

Click image for larger version

Name:	IB_Weapons.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	1099617

But guns would still be exported facing +Y though.

Name:	UE_Gun.jpg
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	1099618

I will create a new export tutorial after these changes have been made that goes over exporting weapons in better detail.

You can export your weapons facing whatever way works best for you, but you just need to be consistent and then update the MainHand and Offhand socket rotation to fit your changes.
                If you start using your own animations and not the starter third person animations you will have to rotate your MainHand and OffHand sockets to a different value that works for you.

Also if you are noticing strange rotation issues with your items in sockets please note that between 4.8 and 4.11 the ThirdPerson StarterTemplate had badly exported animations.

Name:	BadAnimations.jpg
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	1099619
                I have included fixed versions of these animations with the Inventory system and they are fixed in 4.11 if you create a new TPP.
                This bug causes all types of funkiness with your socket rotations and blending between animations.
                It will look fine in the editor when you attach to a socket but in game they will be all twisted wrong because of the animations listed above.
                It is also what causes your character to dip when blending between the animations shown above and other animations in your project.
                Last edited by Pirate; 03-28-2017, 09:53 PM.
                \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Marketplace - Action RPG Inventory System | Multiplayer TopDown Kit | Advanced Social System
                Multiplayer TopDown Kit Tutorials - Merging The Action RPG Inventory System | Removing the Fog of War
                Action RPG Inventory Tutorials - Merging Into Your Project | Adding New Items | FPS Controls w/ UI Mode Toggle

Comment

Originally posted by OverRated_AU View Post
                  Was bored so i made some Unreal Mannequin Chest Armor and thought i would share .

haha awesome
                  \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Comment

Brilliant, awesome. Now next week to import own items/weapons and then wait topdown kit. And maybe someday in this year Pirate get also some package which contain basic combat system.

Comment

I've been able to add my dynamic outline material (although I like how your doesn't shine through everything), but I can't seem to figure out how to turn your off. My works through the Post Process Volume Blend, but yours does not. How is yours instanced? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by chlballi View Post
                        I've been able to add my dynamic outline material (although I like how your doesn't shine through everything), but I can't seem to figure out how to turn your off. My works through the Post Process Volume Blend, but yours does not. How is yours instanced? Thanks!
                        It is set in the PlayerCharacters FollowCamera Post Process settings. Just remove it from the blendables there and it should be all good.

Also just a quick update for the 1.1 release:
                        I have made the changes shown in my last post and updated the weapons in the demo content. The MainHand/OffHand sockets were rotated for this update.

I also added a quick demo rifle item as an example to show the difference between
                        what direction a melee weapon Skeletal Mesh should be facing vs something like a rifle when imported.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Pirate; 01-31-2016, 11:51 PM.
                        \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                          It is set in the PlayerCharacters FollowCamera Post Process settings. Just remove it from the blendables there and it should be all good.
                          Worked like a champ. Now I have separate outline colors for cash, regular objects, and a switch that's modifiable in the editor called 'isHostile' that will make NPCs outline in either Green or Red. I can share how i did it if anyone can find use for it. I setup the material so you can easily pick one (1) of ten (10) colors, each of which can be edited if you wish. Now to make it occlude walls and characters like the original...

Thanks again!
                          Last edited by The_Simon_Sez; 01-31-2016, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Thanks a lot for putting a merge video ! that really helped.

2 issues I'm currently running into :

1- The loot window doesn't seem to close on 'x' click, in its top right corner. It only seems to close when re-pressing E on the same loot container, or by relooting another container or looting all the content.

2- I seem to be able to pick up items, but once they are in my inventory, it's not possible to equip them. Neither rick clicking on them or dragging into slots seem to work. Edit:-> Fixed that one. Just checked error log and realized I forgot controller reference connections in the inventory slot event graph.
                            Last edited by exphrasis; 01-31-2016, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by exphrasis View Post
                              Thanks a lot for putting a merge video ! that really helped.
                              1- The loot window doesn't seem to close on 'x' click, in its top right corner. It only seems to close when re-pressing E on the same loot container, or by relooting another container or looting all the content.
                              [/B]
                              Hrmm that's odd :C
                              In the UI container widget on the eventgraph can you check if the "Server: Close Container" section is hooked up? it sounds like it might not be firing the ServerCloseContainer() in the OnClicked(CloseButton) Event.
                              Double check there and see if the controller reference and inventory manager component are hooked up and if they are try adding a breakpoint and see if the button is calling the function.
                              \\VANGUARD INTERACTIVE

Comment

OverRated_AU, I was just curious where did you get your character models? and if you made them yourself do you do any sub contractor work?

Comment

Working...
                                X