No announcement yet.

SLOT I/OS Visual Folder/Slots (SaveGame) Management System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[GAUGING INTEREST] SLOT I/OS Visual Folder/Slots (SaveGame) Management System

SLOT I/OS

Visual Slot Management System
    (An Advanced
    SaveGame Folder/Slots Operation System)

Developed with UE4-Powered Applications in mind, SLOT I/O builds on top of UE4's SaveGame Blueprint Class providing enhanced File I/O functionality to manage Folders, Formats, Slotfiles in-App at run-time. Use SLOT I/OS Hierarchical Format System (inspired by JSON) to build powerful data structures to store any type of data, supporting Scalar, Array, User Define Structs, and Objects. Load/Save
    Folders, Formats, Slotfiles locally and share via UE4's Network Replication.

Features:

• [*=center]Save/Load/Vie/Manage Folders, Formats, Slotfiles
      [*=center]100% Blueprints-based
      [*=center]Point & Click Navigation
      [*=center]Path Bar for Manual Navigation
      [*=center]Create Unlimited* Folders, Formats, Slotfiles
      [*=center]Create Formats, assign Icons for distinction
      [*=center]Use Multiple Formats in a single Application
      [*=center]UMG-powered GUI Frontend/Backend
      [*=center]Blueprints Backend featuring EZ Nodes to
      Load/Save/Get/Set Slotfile Data

[*=center]AutoSave Mechanism
      [*=center]Folder/Slotfile Permissions
      [*=center]Slot IO Control Panel & Settings
    High
    15.52%
    Moderate
    5.17%
    Low
    1.72%
    None
    5.17%
    Depends On Features
    13.79%
    Depends On Ease of Use
    8.62%
    Depends On Price
    10.34%
    Depends On Support & Updates
    8.62%
    Depends On Licensing
    3.45%
    5.17%
    3.45%
    3.45%
    5.17%
    1.72%
    8.62%
    Last edited by TechLord; 12-17-2015, 03:03 AM.
    GOD of DREAMs: A Unique FTPS/RPG Sandbox MMO

I wasn't expecting a user interface like that. That is sweet! And what do you mean formats? Like file types?

Comment

Originally posted by _cDub View Post
      I wasn't expecting a user interface like that. That is sweet! And what do you mean formats? Like file types?
      Yes. Slot I/OS provides the same mechanism within the Visual interface with hierarchical variable assignment. Define the scalars, arrays, user define structs, objects within a single data structure, which can easily be translated into linear data structure (Array) or serial human readable format like JSON/XML. In SLOT I/OS you can even assign an Icon to represent them.

SLOT I/OS provides functions that act as Commands that you would typically use in a File System:

Directory/Folder Commands:
      1. MakeDirectory
      2. RemoveDirectory
      3. ListDirectory
      4. ChangeDirectory
      5. CopyDirectory

File/Slot Commands:
      1. OpenFile
      2. SaveFile
      3. RenameFile
      4. CopyFile
      5. DeleteFile
      6. MoveFile
      7. LockFile
      8. UnlockFile
      9. SelectFile
      10. FindFile

Specialty Commands:
      1. MakeFile
      2. AddField
      3. ChangeFilePermissions

The core of the SlotI/O is working with DirectoryFiles, special Slots that store Slot Filenames and MetaData per OS Sub Directory and making use of BP Function Recursion.

Progress is steady. Creates subdirectory .dir management files. SaveGames folder is root.

SLOTIOSaveGame

SLOTIOActor

Dropped into Level for Global Use

Creating .dir Files on Local Machine

SLOT I/OS, is really starting to shape up better than initially planned. The final challenge is in the Format System. The idea behind Format System is three-fold: 1) provide the user a Visual Interface in SLOTI/OS to create Variables for saving/loading data, 2) associate this data to an Icon in the SLOT Viewer, 3) simplify, set up of the Data handler to move data to and fro variables to SLOT. The Data Handler is the construct used into BP to wire up variables to other parts of the application.

This feature requires creating new Variables dynamically with Blueprints. The only means to create a variable in Blueprints (I'm aware of) is with Add Button in UnrealEd , no Blueprint node exists to 'spawn' scalar variables. However, we have Blueprints nodes to Add new 'variables' to an Array and it looks promising. There are many datatypes, and to simplify management, I'd use the String datatype being near universal for storing any primitive type of data.

UE4's Dynamic Array could easily handle a set of primitive scalar variables, but things get tricky when considering arrays and structs. I desire to support these types of containers, possibly with Tree Data Structure and Serialization. I created Tree Structures with Arrays, so I don't think it would be overly difficult. For serialization, JSON is my choice. Unfortunately, No JSON Parsing BP Nodes. So the idea of BP-based JSON is in the air.

SLOT I/OS Hierarchical Format System (inspired by JSON) builds data structures to store any type of data, supporting Scalar, Array, User Define Structs, and Objects.

Comment

Hi TechLord

lol, The first Operational System for Unreal 4. In DOS era, such thing would have made a great success. It looks better than the windows file manager.

-luny
        lunybunny.com
        lunybunny.com

Comment

Originally posted by lunyBunny View Post
          Hi TechLord

lol, The first Operational System for Unreal 4. In DOS era, such thing would have made a great success. It looks better than the windows file manager.

-luny
          Thanks lunyBunny. Hopefully I can get more input from the community.

Comment

Centralized Blueprints Processing

Hello everyone. Recent purchases of various Blueprints modules from Marketplace have inspired me to re-engineer SLOT I/OS manager. I've decided to relocate ALL data and logic into a single Blueprints Actor.

Motivations:
            1. Decouple the Functionality from the UMG to support custom UI: 2D Gadget, 3D Widget, & 3D Objects.
            2. Allow Users to derive Full Function Child Classes, overriding any behavior.
            3. Simplify Project Integration, improve Ease-of-use.
            4. Reduced/Cleaner Blueprints design.
            5. Reduced complexity of UI.

Comment

Re-engineering SLOT I/OS for a Centralized Blueprints Processing has been a challenge, but, I think its a design great decision and I'm very happy about the result. The change has additional benefits I did not anticipate: increased Search speed and easier debugging.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND all Marketplace Vendors developing BP Modules with heavy reliance on UMG to decouple the functionality from the Widgets directly. I would also urge toward a BP Module design that can be 'Added to Projects' (NO config file modifications) verses 'Create Project' to simplify integration and modification with existing projects.

All of the functionality has been moved into the Application Manager. Makes dealing with UMG much easier and cleaner.

Comment

Working...
              X