Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2D Platformer Kit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hey,
    So it's been a while without any news. I am still working on the kit in the background and I intend to release it this fall. Some release notes will follow as soon as i can.

    Thanks for your patience.
    Check out my 2D Platforming Kit!
    Check out my Random Item Generator

    Comment


    • Hi axell699,

      I've been looking through the blueprints and there seem to be some things which don't appear to have any functionality or be connected to anything (e.g. BP_GenericDoubleJumpWall; BP_Spikes_small; Player_Character function "CanJumpInternal").

      I'm just trying to get my head around what's in there and how everything interacts, before I start making any changes. So I wanted to ask about these objects, to see if I've missed something. Are they things you just didn't finish, or things you decided weren't needed, or are they connected in some way that I've missed?

      Any advice you could offer would be very helpful

      By the way, really looking forward to the update and thanks for all the hard work you've put into making this kit!

      Comment


      • Originally posted by smitti View Post
        Hi axell699,

        I've been looking through the blueprints and there seem to be some things which don't appear to have any functionality or be connected to anything (e.g. BP_GenericDoubleJumpWall; BP_Spikes_small; Player_Character function "CanJumpInternal").

        I'm just trying to get my head around what's in there and how everything interacts, before I start making any changes. So I wanted to ask about these objects, to see if I've missed something. Are they things you just didn't finish, or things you decided weren't needed, or are they connected in some way that I've missed?

        Any advice you could offer would be very helpful

        By the way, really looking forward to the update and thanks for all the hard work you've put into making this kit!
        Hey ,

        So those objects are used for references by certain functions in the kit. For example : BP_GenericDoubleJumpWall is an actual object with a wall sprite attached to it and if the player collides with it he can use the wall to jump off it. The spikes one are referenced when the player collides with them to see if he takes damage or not.
        The can jump internal function is created by the engine itself and it basically checks if the player is flying or not.

        Everything you see in the kit does have a purpose so there shouldn't be any leftovers in there. Hope this helped!

        Alex.
        Check out my 2D Platforming Kit!
        Check out my Random Item Generator

        Comment


        • Originally posted by axell699 View Post

          Hey ,

          So those objects are used for references by certain functions in the kit. For example : BP_GenericDoubleJumpWall is an actual object with a wall sprite attached to it and if the player collides with it he can use the wall to jump off it. The spikes one are referenced when the player collides with them to see if he takes damage or not.
          The can jump internal function is created by the engine itself and it basically checks if the player is flying or not.

          Everything you see in the kit does have a purpose so there shouldn't be any leftovers in there. Hope this helped!

          Alex.
          Thanks for the reply Alex, your explanation did help.

          I'm going to start working on my own project very soon, but I can already see there are some things in the kit which I won't need in my game. Rather than having lots of unused code, perhaps it would be cleaner to start a fresh project and then copy across the things I do need from your kit!

          But I would appreciate your thoughts on this approach. Do you think it's better to build from scratch and use the kit as a reference for building the things I do need. Or would you say it's better just to build on top of the kit, even if it means having some unused code in the project.

          Thanks again for your help

          Comment


          • Originally posted by smitti View Post

            Thanks for the reply Alex, your explanation did help.

            I'm going to start working on my own project very soon, but I can already see there are some things in the kit which I won't need in my game. Rather than having lots of unused code, perhaps it would be cleaner to start a fresh project and then copy across the things I do need from your kit!

            But I would appreciate your thoughts on this approach. Do you think it's better to build from scratch and use the kit as a reference for building the things I do need. Or would you say it's better just to build on top of the kit, even if it means having some unused code in the project.

            Thanks again for your help
            Well both could work , but in order for your approach to work you would need to have a very good understanding on how the kit currently works because it will be very easy to break it without knowing why. What I would do is start from it and just slowly disable the things you don't need one at a time and test it out at each step.
            Check out my 2D Platforming Kit!
            Check out my Random Item Generator

            Comment

            Working...
            X