• Show
Clear All

• [SUPPORT] Multiplayer Systems | Lobby, Chat, Group System

NEW UI UPDATE IN 4.12.x + VERSION:

Pictures:

Spoiler

Video:

Hey there,

since my project is now released on the market, i am opening a new thread for customers who need help understanding a certain
    part of the systems and for telling me about found bugs (:

Here is the link to the Marketplace Item:

Multiplayer Systems Marketplace Link

Feel free to post questions about the project and its systems/Blueprints. I will try to answer them and help you understanding how everything works.

If you find a bug, please try to recreate it first and post the exact way to recreate the bug. This will make it easier for me to debug it and fix it![/CENTER]

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q.: My new project keeps posting the message "Failed to create session". Why is this happening and how can i resolve this issue?

A.: A project, that wants to use the SessionSystem, needs a Subsystem to be declared in the "DefaultEngine.ini" in your Projects Config Folder!
    For now, we only use the "Null" Subsystem, which is UE4's basic Subsystem and allows us to host Games that can be found via LAN ServerList
    or joined via direct IP Connection over the Net.

If you need ServerLists for Online Servers, then you need to use a Subsystem like Steam! The Function and Nodes stay the same since UE4 uses
    wrapper functions that will pick the correct functions, based on the current selected and supported Subsystem!

Here is what you need to add to the DefaultEngine.ini:

[OnlineSubsystem]
    DefaultPlatformService=Null
    Q.: How to change the Character class in 4.11/4.12+ to my own?

A.: Link to tutorial post.

Q.: How can I add my own GameMode in 4.11/4.12/4.13?

A.: Link to tutorial post.

A list for all known issues (i will first gather a few before updating it):
    • [4.14] When starting the "game" with 2+ players, the Server, with and without Clients, does not travel from Lobby to Gameplay level, but is stuck in the loading screen. Output says it couldn't ServerTravel.
      [SOLUTION] Go to the "Advanved Options" of the Play settings (Arrow right to the Play button) and go to the "Multiplayer Settings" tab. Disable "Auto Connect To Server".
    • You can't launch the Editor on 2 computers and connect to each other. This is a PIE problem and totally normal. Look here for more information: https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...nect-betw.html

A list for all fixed bugs:
    • MouseCursor not showing up in MainMenu and Lobby in 4.11 | SOLUTION: CLICK ME!
    • [4.11/4.12/4.13/Fixed in 4.14] Leaving the Lobby and rejoining it is broken | SOLUTION: CLICK ME!

Changelogs:

4.14 Changelist:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post625859

4.11 and 4.12 overhaul Changelist: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post541302
    Last edited by eXi; 08-25-2017, 10:52 AM.
    Open for contracted work | Blueprints | UE4++/C++ | Training | VR | My Website

My UE4 Blog/Page with Free Learning Projects and more: Hit me for ALL the things!

BP Multiplayer Lobby System: [Released] Support Thread! | BP Multiplayer Crafting System: [Released] Support Thread!

Hey there,

i just received an email asking for Online Support and telling me about a crash when turning of "Lan" and trying to join a session.

Let me explain this to you, who maybe also bought the Package or are thinking about it.

Difference between online and lan for UE4:

So, the difference here is the Session handling. Creating a session in LAN Mode, and retrieving the List etc, is all handled local. So you have some kind of a master server
    that registers all the Sessions and sends them to the clients if they are asking for the ServerList.

If you want to able to have this ONLINE, you need something that works as a master server. The easiest part here is, to use an ONLINE SUBSYSTEM. For example Steam.
    It will then send you the Sessionlist and handle all the joining etc.

Can you implement online support?:

YES and NO. The project is supporting online play, but you need to setup an OnlineSubsystem for this. There are some tutorials and even a program to integrate Steam into your
    project. Marketplace projects are limited to Blueprint Code only (for now), so i can't add the additional files that are needed for Steam support. Even if i could, you would need
    to add some more files to your engine itself. So as you see, implementing this into this project is kinda problem for me.

If i get Steam to work for this project, do i need to change something in the Blueprint Code?:

No, the replication will still be handled by UE4. The Session Nodes (Host, Join and Search) are so called wrapper functions. They will use the matching Subsystem Functions
    that UE4 already implemented, as long as the Subsystem is valid.

Will you give support for not working online features of your project?:

Yes, but only in a limited way. I have not tried setting up steam for this yet. I would recommend you to try to enable steam in a NEW and FRESH project.
    If you manage to get this working, try to enable it in my project.

If you then get a crash or something is not working, i will try to help you IF you post me a valid crashlog and a lot of information how i can recreate the issue.
    Otherwise i can't really help you.

Always add ALL information you have about a problem to your Bug Reports. Not only for me, but in all your posts about problems you ever make in your life!

I hope this clears up some things (: If something in my above statement is wrong, please tell me and i will correct it.

My UE4 Blog/Page with Free Learning Projects and more: Hit me for ALL the things!

BP Multiplayer Lobby System: [Released] Support Thread! | BP Multiplayer Crafting System: [Released] Support Thread!

Comment

Hey Exi, having some problems when testing on two computers,
      The second computer to join closes and gets the message in the log:
      Info Play in editor start time for /Game/BPNetworkingProject/Maps/UEDPIE_0_MainMenu 0.757
      Warning TravelFailure: LoadMapFailure, Reason for Failure: 'Failed to load package '/Game/BPNetworkingProject/Maps/UEDPIE_0_Lobby''. Shutting down PIE.

As well as
      Error /Game/BPNetworkingProject/Maps/UEDPIE_0_Lobby : Can't find file /Game/BPNetworkingProject/Maps/UEDPIE_0_Lobby
      In the load check.

this is on a fresh instance of your project. Did you run into this? Got it to work under some conditions. Gonna add to this after more testing, sorry to be brief for now! Seems to be a PIE thing, LAUNCH GAME works!
      Last edited by Staggerlee; 07-15-2015, 07:51 AM.
      JcInventory, a Jigsaw Grid based Inventory designed in UMG and blueprint

Comment

Sadly i don't have 2 PCs here ): so i couldn't test that.
        As soon as i'm home, i will check if i can find some information about that, but it could be that you simply can't simulate network with 2 PIE versions.

But you can always rightclick on the *.uproject file and select something like "Start Game". Then will have a standalone version (could also try stabdalone in PIE option)

Comment

Hey there,

seems like you and i are right about the PIE thing. Read the marked answer in this AnswerHUB question:

https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...nect-betw.html

Comment

Yup, got it working! Testing in PIE wont work- but thats not a big workflow problem as you pointed out above. Your blueprint standards are incredible eXi, fantastic work, very clean to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Staggerlee View Post
              Yup, got it working! Testing in PIE wont work- but thats not a big workflow problem as you pointed out above. Your blueprint standards are incredible eXi, fantastic work, very clean to understand.
              Thanks (:

It would be nice if you, and other customers, could rate the project on the marketplace site. (:

Comment

Got everything working pretty darn good and i have learnt a lot as well.
                Was wondering on your opinion on the best way to return to lobby. I found that calling 'ServerTravel Lobby' by console at the end of my match works somewhat,
                It returns the players too the lobby, but sometimes it crashes. I take it this is outside what the content has set up, but ill shoot for advice.
                The error that seems to call is; so it makes it tricky to debug.
                Error Infinite Loop detected in MyGameInstance , asserted during FoundError with the following Call Stack
                No harm if you cant help eXi!

Comment

Hey there, i'm so glad that you like it and learn from it! That was the main reason a made it (:

Yeah, the "Return to the Lobby" thing was asked a lot while i was developing it, but i felt like not doing it, since
                  it is somewhat the same as joining it from the Main menu. But i have no idea IF there is something that breaks it.
                  Because the difference between calling the Server Travel (on the server!) from Game back to the lobby and joining
                  it one by one from the Main Menu shouldn't be that great at all.

The error points to something with the "FoundError" event i created in the GameInstance. If it is an infinite loop, it might
                  call itself over and over again. Is this happening on the Server or on the clients? You might want to disable it for now
                  or keep an eye on it if you recreate the system.

It is really hard to tell why this is happening. When i get some time, i will try it out myself and check what is causing the crash, ok? (:

Comment

No problem eXI, its an odd one. I am calling it on the Server for sure.
                    Stuff like this is not critical as you say, its odd that it only fires sometimes. So its hard to replicate the issue. maybe around 50% of the time?
                    Anyway its not critical as you say, as the server can boot everyone after a match and then they can rejoin later via the main menu.
                    Edit: Disabling Found Error fixes the issue as far as i can see.
                    Last edited by Staggerlee; 07-22-2015, 10:00 PM.

Comment

(: Ok, i just updated the List in the Main post containing the new "bugs" that you found. I will still look into it as soon as a i get time!

Comment

Originally posted by Axxi
                        just bought this looks very nice so far
                        Glad to hear that. Let me know if you run into problems.

Comment

thats so nice

Comment

Is there is any way to let all client travel to new level while server stays at Lobby?

Comment

Originally posted by Syed View Post
                              Is there is any way to let all client travel to new level while server stays at Lobby?
                              As far as i know, this is not possible. The Server can only load one Level at a time. That would be the lobby.
                              I already had a discussion about that with some other devs, because some of them wanted to make a bigger Game,
                              where Players could "travel" to other places that were made in new Levels, but we came to the conclusion that the
                              standard UE4 Setup does not support that.

Or at least, we think that it doesn't support that. I would be happy to get a Staff Answer about that, but this would be
                              better suited for the AnswerHUB, since the Staff is not very active in this kind of things here on the Forum :P

EDIT: Easiest thing for you would be creating a new Project with a very basic host and join setup and then trying to
                              ClientTravel to a different Map while being on the Server. And the best thing would be doing this with 2 clients at once.
                              Then you know if this is possible or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X