The Perfect Tile System - New Official Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Osok View Post
    I don't have any immediate use for your system, but it seems quality. I didn't plan on buying, but I will since it'll be 50% off.
    I'm certain you will definitely find a use for this system! Actually, I made it to solve a fairly common problem in games: texture tiling. Who couldn't use an infinite set of bricks, stones, wooden paneling, and tiles?

Comment

I'm hoping that I'm missing something- I thought that I could use this material on two different objects in the same scene to get different tile patterns on them, but I just get the same identical pattern repeating on each object. Can you suggest a way that I can get even a little variation across objects?

Comment

Originally posted by dkloving View Post
        I'm hoping that I'm missing something- I thought that I could use this material on two different objects in the same scene to get different tile patterns on them, but I just get the same identical pattern repeating on each object. Can you suggest a way that I can get even a little variation across objects?
        The intention of the system was to provide variation between tiles across the surface of a single material. So, if you have tiling bricks, instead of having one repeating texture for all the bricks, you can have each brick shaded a different color, different roughness value, with different properties. If you explain to me what exactly you hoped to achieve, I might be able to make it happen in the next update. It is possible to take the object world position and offset the tiling of the entire system. That's actually very easy for me to set up!

Comment

Originally posted by mariomguy View Post
          It is possible to take the object world position and offset the tiling of the entire system. That's actually very easy for me to set up!
          Yep, that's exactly what I've already done. The result is really great, and we are super happy with Perfect Tile System! This would probably be a useful feature for other people too, so it might be good for you to add.

Comment

Originally posted by dkloving View Post
            Yep, that's exactly what I've already done. The result is really great, and we are super happy with Perfect Tile System! This would probably be a useful feature for other people too, so it might be good for you to add.
            Yes! However, I do believe most people would want the tiles to line up at the edge, not just arbitrarily shift to any value. I will develop this feature and include it in the next update for UE 4.15!

EDIT: OK, I have added the ability to shift the UVs randomly per-object. This feature uses 8 vertex instructions, only 3 vertex instructions when using instanced meshes. It's a very complex method that takes into account sprite values for the tiling and uses a texture-based method to determine seed values. This feature will be made available when the PTS updates for UE 4.15.

AND AN ANNOUNCEMENT TO ALL: The Unreal Engine 4.14.1 hotfix update is finally out! There was a bug in the system that did not allow parallax occlusion (or other custom material nodes) to compress properly when being fed to multiple outputs. You will find that many materials in the Perfect Tile System, particularly those with parallax occlusion and custom code, have had a significant drop in shader instructions. The Advanced Bricks preset used 308 pixel instructions before the update, now it only uses 222. This is a 28% improvement in performance for free. If you haven't already, please download the 4.14.1 hotfix.
            Last edited by mariomguy; 12-11-2016, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Merry Christmas, guys! It's been 2 years since my last update to this system. Wow! Overall not much has changed, but a few interesting things did happen:
              • Support for 4.21 - A new update actually comes with the version supported for 4.21.
              • New Biasing Feature and Function - Previously, your options for seed distribution were limited to linear or inverse sine. But now, you can use the new biasing feature to select any value from 0 to 1 and control exactly how strong to bias towards those values without losing the full range. This feature costs 11 extra pixel shader instructions (20 to bias tile-tilting) and completely supplanted asine distribution in both control and effectiveness.
              • Texture Seeding Deprecated - Even though textures were cheaper on pixel shaders, it required extra texture lookups (which balloon depending on the options selected), and this was not as accurate as the procedural methods.
              • Asset Cleanup - Normal maps and textures have been cleaned up for the Stone assets. They are 2K, now they look the part!
              • Preset Improvements - I'm always making minor adjustments to presets. Some presets like Mahogany and Wood now have better coloring and parallax on by default. Some of the high-end presets now take advantage of pixel depth offset.
              And there is more to come in the future:
              • Seamless Patch for Tile Randomizer - Right now the randomizer has a seam because the mask has to be included. I hope to integrate with parallax seamlessly, too, and the fix can be applied after I figure out the integration.
              • Iridescence - A cool multicolored shader effect for metals and metallic coats.
              • Oren-Nayar-like Diffuse - For rougher surfaces (bricks, stone, wood, etc.). This may be implemented as a roughness-based fresnel effect.
              • Alternate Blend Modes - Hard Light, Soft Light, and Overlay. Currently TMs only blend as Multiply. I'm trying to trim, not explode the shader options, but it would be nice to get better blending.
              Last edited by mariomguy; 01-05-2019, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Big news for upcoming effects:

Iridescence has been successfully integrated! The effect is achieved using the sun direction specular (Blinn-Phong) and angle of the surface (Fresnel) to drive a gradient that provides the color warping. This effect has been added to the Metal Twine and Neotype presets. You have a range of controls from intensity and color shift to the frequency of the color warping and specular power. It's as easy as toggling a switch, and your tiles will shimmer with color!

Work is progressing on a Rough Diffuse to make rough and dusty surfaces like stone, bricks, unpolished tile, and untreated wood look proper. Lambertian diffuse darkens objects around the edges, but rough surfaces actually brighten. So, we need to combat that diffuse with our own mixture. I'm trying to find the right blend so colors don't become desaturated, and it is proving to be a daunting task. But the end result should be an easy toggle-on for better diffuse shading, automatically calculated based off of the material's roughness, with a simple intensity parameter to scale the effect.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SoftDiffuse.gif Views:	1 Size:	447.1 KB ID:	1568913

Comment

4.25 Updates
                  • Added basic support for UE4's new BDRF anisotropy - Both the old temporal anisotropic and new BDRF anisotropic rendering methods are supported by the current version of the shader. Make sure to choose the right one for your project!
                    • Temporal (old) - Requires Temporal AA and longer time to resolve, tends to generate artifacts the stronger the effect is stretched.
                    • Engine (new) - Image reflections appear to stretch cleanly and appropriately, but GGX specular highlights seem unaffected. More stable.
                  • The Rough Diffuse effect is finished. It now performs much better and behaves more appropriately with simplified user controls.
                    • Some materials like Advanced Bricks and Excavation now have rough diffuse added.
                  Also, the home content will no longer be updated. It will be removed in the next release.

If anyone has any issues or questions, please let me know! I'd love to see what kind of projects you guys are making with this system as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X