Blueprint Dialogue System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Grogger,

Have you received an ETA from Epic as to when the update will be available for everybody ?

Comment

Originally posted by NickDarnell View Post
      There's a touch simulation mode in the editor if you ever want to test it without a touch device. Project Settings > Mouse Properties > Use Mouse for Touch. Does a fairly accurate simulation, I think I recall there being some weirdness with drag/drop.
      Thanks Nick (huge delay, I hadn't seen your message!), I wasn't able to get this method to work - I'm guessing it has something to do with UI Only input mode?
      I did manage to get it on an android device for testing though, so all is well enough for this small project

Originally posted by Brum_ View Post
      Hey Grogger,

Have you received an ETA from Epic as to when the update will be available for everybody ?
      No, I haven't heard from them yet. Hopefully soon!

Comment

Can't wait for the update! I just bought this yesterday. A lot of it is over my head, but with your videos and documentation I think I'll work things out soon enough.

If I end up using your system in a published game, how do I credit you? I assumed I'd put you down as Groggeroo, but I see your Youtube handle is Lithic Entertainment. Which would you prefer?
        I'm an artist! Check out my work at https://cinebst.wixsite.com/cinebeastart and hit me up!

You can e-mail me at cinebst@gmail.com.

Comment

One weird way or another I can see the availability of the 4.9 version on the marketplace.
          However, it is still saying 'syncing'; making it unusable for me. For God's Sake Epic, give us this update already hahaha!

Comment

Originally posted by Cinebeast View Post
            Can't wait for the update! I just bought this yesterday. A lot of it is over my head, but with your videos and documentation I think I'll work things out soon enough.

If I end up using your system in a published game, how do I credit you? I assumed I'd put you down as Groggeroo, but I see your Youtube handle is Lithic Entertainment. Which would you prefer?
            You won't need to credit us, in case you thought so, but if you'd like to "Dialogue system - Lithic Entertainment" or something along those lines would be perfect!

One weird way or another I can see the availability of the 4.9 version on the marketplace.
            However, it is still saying 'syncing'; making it unusable for me. For God's Sake Epic, give us this update already hahaha!
            An epic staff member mentioned that he was hopeful it would be updated before the end of the week, so that's promising
            Last edited by Grogger; 10-08-2015, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grogger View Post
              An epic staff member mentioned that he was hopeful it would be updated before the end of the week, so that's promising
              Today it is just checked some stuff and an update is downloaded ^^. Even more stuff to check this weekend!

Comment

Today it is just checked some stuff and an update is downloaded ^^. Even more stuff to check this weekend!
                I just checked the content, looks like the uproject file is missing, so I wasn't able to test the new version download. I have asked the marketplace folks to take a look, hopefully they get back to me soon!

Comment

The new update (v1.2) is now available through the Unreal launcher.

Note: If you downloaded the update before now, you may need to update again because there was an error in the update process (the .uproject file was missing in this version).

As always, please let me know of any problems and feel free to ask questions!

Comment

Finally purchased it!
                    Now it's time to test it and play with it deeply
                    "sic parvis magna"
                    @Meguido

Comment

This might be far too impractical, but is there any chance of seeing XML support, or at the very least support for the .xls that articy:draft produces? This looks like an amazing product, but the project I'm working on has an enormous amount of dialog, and the big thing preventing me from purchasing is the fact that manually assembling our dialogue trees in excel would quickly drive everybody nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Meguido View Post
                        Finally purchased it!
                        Now it's time to test it and play with it deeply
                        Great to hear!

Originally posted by HInoue View Post
                        This might be far too impractical, but is there any chance of seeing XML support, or at the very least support for the .xls that articy:draft produces? This looks like an amazing product, but the project I'm working on has an enormous amount of dialog, and the big thing preventing me from purchasing is the fact that manually assembling our dialogue trees in excel would quickly drive everybody nuts.
                        Hi HInoue,

There are currently no plans to add direct XML support, because this would not be possible without plugins (as far as I know).
                        I have looked into the xlsx generated from artisy but it's not human readable so it would need a plugin also to work directly with the dialogue.

My best guess solution would be to create an external converter that would take the exported XML from artisy and convert it to CSV. While this is feasible, we just don't have the resources to do it at this time. This is, however, something your team could venture to do as a solution, being an external converter to a simple CSV format (if you choose this route, I will gladly be of assistance).

As an additional possibility you could have the content read from whatever format you choose in C++ and override the base getter functions in BPC_Dialogue to retrieve the content from your chosen format instead of the data tables, this would be a nicer workflow once it is working.

Comment

Alright awesome, thanks for the suggestions

Comment

This is a pretty great system- getting everything migrated took a bit of tinkering, but I'm super-happy with the result now that it's up and running.

I have two silly questions that I couldn't find covered in the documentation, but probably just missed:

1) I know I can use inline tags to modify the text on a line-by-line basis, but where should I be looking to set the default text format?

2) Which blueprint sets the mouse as visible, and binds left-mouse as the input that advances through lines of dialogue? I'd like to turn off the first behavior, and change the second from left mouse to an action button already used elsewhere in my input settings.

Thank you again for putting together a phenomenal system- I was on the fence about buying this for a while, but there's no way I would've put something this clean together on my own.

Comment

Originally posted by HInoue View Post
                              This is a pretty great system- getting everything migrated took a bit of tinkering, but I'm super-happy with the result now that it's up and running.

I have two silly questions that I couldn't find covered in the documentation, but probably just missed:

1) I know I can use inline tags to modify the text on a line-by-line basis, but where should I be looking to set the default text format?

2) Which blueprint sets the mouse as visible, and binds left-mouse as the input that advances through lines of dialogue? I'd like to turn off the first behavior, and change the second from left mouse to an action button already used elsewhere in my input settings.

Thank you again for putting together a phenomenal system- I was on the fence about buying this for a while, but there's no way I would've put something this clean together on my own.
                              Hi HInoue, I'm really glad to hear you're liking the system

1) Some text options can be configured under "Options" in UI_Dialogue (default colour and typewriter settings), while other options are only available in the UI_Dialogue_TextItem and UI_Dialogue_ResponseItem (Font, shadow, bold, etc...)

2) The function SetInputType in BPC_Dialogue is the one responsible for setting up the controls, to disable it, set the InputeType (yea, there's a typo there ;P ) to Unmanaged and the dialogue shouldn't do anything with controls anymore.

The click to continue is using the built in OnMouseButton events in UI_Dialogue though. You can override this behaviour by creating a new UI and inheriting from UI_Dialogue so you could do something custom (see UI_SampleAlternateDialogue for an example of what functions should be overridden if you inherit the dialogue interface)

Hope this helps, let me know if you'd like any clarification

Comment

Ooh, thanks for the quick reply! I swear I'm not being a moron on purpose, but quick followup:

For the font options, is this the right options box? I see color and some typewriter scroll options, but I've been up and down that banner and can't seem to find the option to change font size, or set a specific font:

Finally for the OnMouseInput event, where exactly in BPC_Dialogue is it? I didn't find it in the contextual bar when I hit "Override function" in my child class, so I went to look at the original and I don't think it's anywhere on the main bar- am I looking in the completely wrong place?
                                Last edited by HInoue; 10-16-2015, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X