Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blueprint Dialogue System

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #76
    Originally posted by CheapModeler View Post
    Just picked this up five minutes ago. Hopefully my time with it goes well.
    Best of luck, please let me know if you encounter any issues, I'll be glad to help
    (check out the video tutorials and documentation for more info if you haven't spotted them yet)

    Comment


      #77
      One quick question about functionality if you don't mind- does this have built-in support for switching between matinee and dialogue on the fly, as in "Display line 1. once the user closes the dialog box play this cutscene until the NPC finishes crossing the room, then pause matinee and display lines 2-5"?

      Comment


        #78
        Originally posted by HInoue View Post
        One quick question about functionality if you don't mind- does this have built-in support for switching between matinee and dialogue on the fly, as in "Display line 1. once the user closes the dialog box play this cutscene until the NPC finishes crossing the room, then pause matinee and display lines 2-5"?
        Unfortunately not. This is something I attempted to add, but Matinee had seemed uncooperative, I could not find a nice extendible way to do this.

        As far as I can tell (please correct me if I'm wrong), matinee sequences can only communicate events to the level blueprint, and matinee sequences require a class variable to interact with them through blueprint. You can extend each specific dialogue component for custom matinee sequences if you wish and have the matinee sequences continue the dialogue flow once complete, but this will be mostly custom work.

        P.S. If anyone has any ideas on interacting with matinee like this, I would love to hear them!


        Edit: To clarify my idea, each matinee sequence would need a custom dialogue function (you can't pass a matinee actor reference as a string parameter), and the matinee sequences would return events to your level blueprint. On receiving a 'Finished' event from the sequence, you would then continue the dialogue flow with the SetState function (you will need a reference to the actor containing the component in the level blueprint)
        Last edited by Grogger; 08-14-2015, 08:37 AM.

        Comment


          #79
          Thanks for the reply, I've never been able to figure out an extensible solution either, so I was hoping you had- I'll post back if I ever work out something really workable.

          Comment


            #80
            One more quick question if you don't mind- thumbing through the docs this looks pretty focused on blueprint components- I love the look, and I like the ton of formatting and functionality it has, but because my game uses mostly procedural dialogue generated in C++, I would need to get this system to accept a series of TArray<FString> for dialogue, and TArray<questionStruct> for responses. Would it be reasonably easy to re-wire your system to accept dialogue in that format from a single central manager class, or would the work I would need to put into changes be better-served building a UMG UI from the ground up?

            Comment


              #81
              Originally posted by HInoue View Post
              One more quick question if you don't mind- thumbing through the docs this looks pretty focused on blueprint components- I love the look, and I like the ton of formatting and functionality it has, but because my game uses mostly procedural dialogue generated in C++, I would need to get this system to accept a series of TArray<FString> for dialogue, and TArray<questionStruct> for responses. Would it be reasonably easy to re-wire your system to accept dialogue in that format from a single central manager class, or would the work I would need to put into changes be better-served building a UMG UI from the ground up?
              Hi HInoue,

              If you value your time here on earth, I recommend to never implement a complex dialogue system in UMG and Blueprints! :P

              Your data can be adapted for the system in a few different ways, it would be a matter of changing 2 or 3 overridable functions in an inherited BPC_Dialogue class:

              The text is retrieved through an overridable 'TArray<FDialogueItem> GetDialogueItem(FName textKey)' and 'TArray<FName> GetDialogueRowNames' functions, if you can convert your data to fit DialogueTableItem (a blueprint structure, so the converter must be in blueprints) and either change the 'GetNextState' function and ignore the GetDialogueRowNames function, or implement the GetDialogueRowNames.

              Let me know if you run into any trouble if you follow this route

              Comment


                #82
                Thanks for the feedback! I'll let you know if I end up with anything super-neat using this route

                Comment


                  #83
                  Just bought this and it works great. Had a frame rate drop, but thankfully I read the earlier post to turn down the max trace radius on the scanner. Not sure if that's a safe shippable fix... perhaps custom collision channels would put less of a strain on the trace hits? Seemed like when I got to an area with lots of characters walking around, the scanner chugged the frame with at least a 25ms drop. You know the system way better than me, just letting you know it might be an issue in a final level with lots of npc folks walking around.

                  I'm another person putting in a request for game pad support ...please and thank you

                  So far this is a really robust and complete system. I can't wait to see more tutorials, cause I'm well aware I have not done half of what the system is capable of doing, yet. Definitely happy with my purchase! Thank you Grogger!
                  Youtube
                  Playable Prototypes
                  Portfolio
                  Art Station

                  Comment


                    #84
                    Hey Grogger!

                    Will you be adding 4.9 support for your plug-in anytime soon ?
                    I'll be starting my project this or the next week, and we're planning on working with the 4.9 version.
                    Would be nice if we could include it in the new engine version ^^

                    Thanks in advance
                    -Bram

                    Comment


                      #85
                      Originally posted by paingate View Post
                      ...Not sure if that's a safe shippable fix... perhaps custom collision channels would put less of a strain on the trace hits?
                      Hi Paingate, that would probably help, though I was hoping to avoid that so there wouldn't be an additional step in the setup or in the usable actor collisions. I do have ideas in mind for fixing this, though I haven't tested them yet.

                      Originally posted by paingate View Post
                      I'm another person putting in a request for game pad support ...please and thank you
                      Noted!

                      Originally posted by paingate View Post
                      So far this is a really robust and complete system. I can't wait to see more tutorials, cause I'm well aware I have not done half of what the system is capable of doing, yet. Definitely happy with my purchase! Thank you Grogger!
                      Thank you! Hopefully I find the time to make more soon!




                      Originally posted by Brum_ View Post
                      Hey Grogger!

                      Will you be adding 4.9 support for your plug-in anytime soon ?
                      I'll be starting my project this or the next week, and we're planning on working with the 4.9 version.
                      Would be nice if we could include it in the new engine version ^^

                      Thanks in advance
                      -Bram
                      Hey Bram,

                      I do have time allocated for the dialogue system coming up, and I will be updating the system then (likely with some new features, unless everything goes horribly wrong).
                      That being said, I have tested the 4.8 version in 4.9 and it went very smoothly: everything worked, so I would say it's safe to start your 4.9 project with the 4.8 version

                      Let me know if you encounter any issues in 4.9 and I'll be sure to re-prioritize my schedule!

                      Comment


                        #86
                        I'm having a hard time setting up portraits. I tried to use the one you provided as a test but I seem to be missing something because it doesn't show up. Screenshot below:

                        Click image for larger version

Name:	portrait_help.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	417.6 KB
ID:	1087290

                        Another question...is it possible to move and resize the text field in the umg widget? Was not having much luck with that either.
                        Youtube
                        Playable Prototypes
                        Portfolio
                        Art Station

                        Comment


                          #87
                          Originally posted by paingate View Post
                          I'm having a hard time setting up portraits. I tried to use the one you provided as a test but I seem to be missing something because it doesn't show up.
                          The SetPortrait won't currently work in PreAction, it will be overwritten by the Speaker's portrait (in this case, the Speaker attributes for NPC_Power).
                          You can use SetPortrait inline to easily work around this (eg. in the Text field: "{SetPortrait("Groggeroo_Talking")}I'm sure of it... etc.")


                          Originally posted by paingate View Post
                          Another question...is it possible to move and resize the text field in the umg widget? Was not having much luck with that either.
                          The text is populated in the WrapBox "wbTextArea" (contained within a scrollbox), as long as that control exists, there should be no other restrictions. The scroll box is probably nice to keep around, but the responses don't need to be contained with it.

                          Comment


                            #88
                            Thanks for the quick response! Tried it over lunch and it worked like a charm. I read that section of the help file regarding SetPortrait getting stomped in the Preaction field but I saw that the sample file had it there so I gave it a shot. Is there another spot I can set the portrait? You mention the speaker attributes...does that mean i can assign a portrait to the actor? If so, where does that live?
                            Youtube
                            Playable Prototypes
                            Portfolio
                            Art Station

                            Comment


                              #89
                              Originally posted by paingate View Post
                              Thanks for the quick response! Tried it over lunch and it worked like a charm. I read that section of the help file regarding SetPortrait getting stomped in the Preaction field but I saw that the sample file had it there so I gave it a shot. Is there another spot I can set the portrait? You mention the speaker attributes...does that mean i can assign a portrait to the actor? If so, where does that live?
                              The speaker attributes are what is references in the SpeakerId field. It's so you don't need to set the default portrait, name, or response behaviour everytime. I go over it briefly in the video here.

                              Comment


                                #90
                                Hey Grogger! Can your system deal with multiple languages, selected at game start?
                                Thanks,
                                Colin

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X