Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grogger View Post
    Hi Bram,

Not so quick to respond this time (I have been away from civilization with no internet), and I'm sorry I hadn't talked about that in my previous response!
    When the dialogue is displayed, the input is placed in "UI Only input mode", "Set Ignore Move Input" and displays the cursor, so the interface captures all input. You'll find this in the DisplayUI function in BPC_Dialogue.

These can safely be changed to do whatever you need it to.
    Hope this helps
    Same goes for me this time around haha. Eventually found my very stupid mistake.

Originally posted by Allegro View Post
    @ Brum_ It's possible you neglected to use a Close() in your post script. If you forget to do this, then after you close your dialog window, you will no longer be able to control the game.
    The thing I forgot was to call the Close() function at the end of the conversation. *thanks for the tutorials, through which i found it !*
    So indeed what you mentioned this morning @Allegro , thanks as well!

Keep up the good work, it's time to get my prototype working
    Last edited by Brum_; 07-17-2015, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brum_ View Post
      Same goes for me this time around haha. Eventually found my very stupid mistake.

The thing I forgot was to call the Close() function at the end of the conversation. *thanks for the tutorials, through which i found it !*
      So indeed what you mentioned this morning @Allegro , thanks as well!

Keep up the good work, it's time to get my prototype working
      I'm glad you found the problem
      I hope to resolve the need for the Close() function when there are no other branches to flow to in a future release, it is easy to forget it and difficult to troubleshoot if you don't know about it!

Comment

Hey Grogger,

I might be just the most overlooking guy ever... But asking stands free right :'D?

The thing: I want to flag variables within the dialogue, which must be done in the pre-/postaction face. However is it possible to access these variables in the dialogue file?

Ergo: is it already possible to access my own variables in the dialogue system?

Cheers!

Comment

Hey Grogger,

I might be just the most overlooking guy ever... But asking stands free right :'D?

The thing: I want to flag variables within the dialogue, which must be done in the pre-/postaction face. However is it possible to access these variables in the dialogue file?

Ergo: is it already possible to access my own variables in the dialogue system?

Cheers!
          Hi Brum, thanks for asking!

If you mean to retrieve the variables in-line in the "Text" as text, then you can use the wrapping $ (eg. $MyTextVariable$) or in script scope you don't need the symbol (eg. "{OldTextVar = MyTextVariable}"). This is brief in the documentation here.

If you meant to retrieve it in Blueprints, then you can use the DialogueComponent->GetScriptInterpreter->GetVariable:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	GetVar.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	1082468

I hope this answers your question!
          Please, don't be shy to ask anything else!

Note: I will update the documentation to mention variable namespaces and retrieving variables from script

Edit: Also if you find yourself in a particularly good mood and you are feeling good about the system (:P), it would be appreciated if you could leave a review and a few stars!
          Last edited by Grogger; 07-25-2015, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Hi Grogger,

Thanks again for the quick reply. Will look into it shortly.

Hope that it will do what I 'desire' :P.

Review has been posted, 5 stars as it deserves!

Comment

Hi Grogger,

Thanks again for the quick reply. Will look into it shortly.

Hope that it will do what I 'desire' :P.

Review has been posted, 5 stars as it deserves!
              Great! Thank you
              Good luck, and keep me posted!

Comment

Hi Grogger,

I just bought the Blueprint Dialogues from the marketplace. Something weird happened. I followed the video tutorial and it worked, but now I'm getting 5-10 fps on a project that I used to get 120 frames per second. I didn't change anything else on the project, so I think it's related to the dialogue system. Have you ever see that before? Any idea of what is causing this? This is a blind shot, because I'm not 100% it was the bp dialogue system that caused this, but prior to adding it to the project, everything was working fine.

Thanks!

[edit] I just figured that if I remove the BPC_UseScanner from my character, the game runs normally. However, that element is essential to the blueprint dialogue system. Any ideas?

[edit2] I reduced the BPC_UseScanner's Max Trace Radius to 100 and now it's working as it should. No framedrop so far.
                Last edited by starfighterdude; 07-28-2015, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brunogruber View Post
                  Hi Grogger,

I just bought the Blueprint Dialogues from the marketplace. Something weird happened. I followed the video tutorial and it worked, but now I'm getting 5-10 fps on a project that I used to get 120 frames per second. I didn't change anything else on the project, so I think it's related to the dialogue system. Have you ever see that before? Any idea of what is causing this? This is a blind shot, because I'm not 100% it was the bp dialogue system that caused this, but prior to adding it to the project, everything was working fine.

Thanks!

[edit] I just figured that if I remove the BPC_UseScanner from my character, the game runs normally. However, that element is essential to the blueprint dialogue system. Any ideas?

[edit2] I reduced the BPC_UseScanner's Max Trace Radius to 100 and now it's working as it should. No framedrop so far.
                  Hi brunogruber,

I haven't experienced this, but I am glad you found the cause of it.
                  I will be looking at this issue for the next build, thanks for reporting a workaround

Comment

Hey Grogger, two more questions:

1. Is it possible to fire a dialogue from the level blueprint? I'm trying to make the player say something automatically when the game starts (begin play).

2. How do you assign a portrait to a speaker? I understand that you have to create an asset with the portrait at DT_DialogueAssets_Main, but I can't find documentation on how that works and I can't edit the AssetReference row. Can you please enlighten me? Maybe make a quick video tutorial on how to assign a portrait covering that?

Thanks!
                    Last edited by starfighterdude; 07-29-2015, 02:55 AM.

Comment

Hey Grogger, two more questions:

1. Is it possible to fire a dialogue from the level blueprint? I'm trying to make the player say something automatically when the game starts (begin play).

2. How do you assign a portrait to a speaker? I understand that you have to create an asset with the portrait at DT_DialogueAssets_Main, but I can't find documentation on how that works and I can't edit the AssetReference row. Can you please enlighten me? Maybe make a quick video tutorial on how to assign a portrait covering that?

Thanks!
                      You can trigger the dialogue from the level blueprint by calling the 'Use' event on the actor owning the dialogue you want to trigger. To make a narrator, a dummy actor should work safely.

To add an asset to a data table, you'll need to use the csv for now (4.8 doesn't allow editing base Object columns in the row editor).
                      In the sample, you can find the csv's under "Content\BlueprintDialogues\SampleContent\DialogueSampleContent\Data".
                      To get the full path for the table, simply Ctrl+C when selecting the asset in the content browser (or right click -> Copy Reference).

For portraits, you can either set the default portrait by copying the reference to the SpeakerPortrait column in the speaker attribute table, or, if you intend to swap the portrait, place it in your DialogueAsset data table and use the 'SetPortrait' function after the PreAction event in the dialogue (eg. before the start of your text).

I will update the documentation (maybe make a video tutorial if I get the chance) on this when I get the chance, thanks for bringing it up!
                      I hope this helps

Comment

>Where can I change default font and text size?
                        Already found it - 'UI_Dialogue_TextItem'
                        Last edited by NormanFoxLee; 08-06-2015, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Hi Grogger,

Thanks for the info, but I have no idea on how to edit the csv and assign the portrait correctly. A video tutorial would be great.

Thanks again!

Comment

Hi Grogger,

Thanks for the info, but I have no idea on how to edit the csv and assign the portrait correctly. A video tutorial would be great.

Thanks again!
                            You can copy csv from \Content\BlueprintDialogues\SampleContent\DialogueSampleContent\Data and open it with Excel on windows os or other program. Then add necessary data and reimport in any existing datatable.
                            To add portrait just copy its reference by clicking right button of mouse on texture - Copy Reference and insert it in right place inside table via Excel.
                            Last edited by NormanFoxLee; 08-08-2015, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Hi Grogger,

Thanks again!
                              To add to what NormanFoxLee said, if you don't have Excel, LibreOffice, OpenOffice, CSVed, and Google Docs are free alternatives (I personal use GoogleDocs and export to csv - it's nice because it can properly clip columns for the really long file paths that get put in there. I use CSVed over the others when changing a value in the csv directly because it doesn't lock the file and I like the layout.)

More tutorials is definitely on my Trello Dialogue to-do board!

Comment

Just picked this up five minutes ago. Hopefully my time with it goes well.

Comment

Working...
                                X