Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adaptive Wind-Over-Ear Audio Blueprint

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Awesome sauce ... voted.

    I think you should propose a number that you think your work is worth and then see what the feedback is. Ultimately you must be happy with the price you choose and take it from there.
    Quinton Delpeche
    Founder - Gobbo Games | Designer - The Colony 2174 (Board Game) | Developer - Riders of Asgard

    Comment


      #17
      I agree with that!

      No matter what price you pick if it's above the minimum you're getting to get people saying "lol not worth it". Better to ignore 'em.
      Impromptu Games|dev blog|twitter|itch.io store|Patreon
      Impromptu Procedural Ladders|Impromptu Procedural Handrails|Impromptu Procedural Stairs
      |Impromptu Fire Propagation|InFlux Example Game|Impromptu Vector Field Painter

      Comment


        #18
        Thanks guys.

        I'm leaning towards a $14.99 price point for it, should it pass trello voting. It's a tough thing to get implemented correctly, and the extra features and ease of integration add value, but at the same time it needs to be priced at a point that isn't a huge gamble for the customer.

        I'd love to know thoughts.
        |Mitchell Lucas
        |Technical Sound Designer at Magic Leap

        Comment


          #19
          Just a quick question- does your effect also factor in the players speed when passing through the medium? I made the air rushing effect for my own project but mine is very simple and purely based on speed of the player. Yours seems to be more environmental wind oriented- very cool!

          If your solution has the wind effect AND also has an effect based on the speed of the player I think that would be a more complete solution. Because even if you're travelling fast through a 'wind blocked' area you should still have air rushing past your ears if you're going at a high enough speed.

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by Pheesh View Post
            Just a quick question- does your effect also factor in the players speed when passing through the medium? I made the air rushing effect for my own project but mine is very simple and purely based on speed of the player. Yours seems to be more environmental wind oriented- very cool!

            If your solution has the wind effect AND also has an effect based on the speed of the player I think that would be a more complete solution. Because even if you're travelling fast through a 'wind blocked' area you should still have air rushing past your ears if you're going at a high enough speed.
            Indeed it does have a player velocity based wind option, as shown in the hang gliding video in the first post. There is a bool to select for the blueprint instance that changes its wind source from environment based to player based. There is also a multiplier slider to change the intensity of the wind as the player's forward velocity changes.

            If you want both options in one level, I would just put two (or more) of these blueprints in the level, where one has the player based wind selected. Set yourself a good multiplier for the wind intensity based on player speed, and you're good to go!
            |Mitchell Lucas
            |Technical Sound Designer at Magic Leap

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by Obsidiaguy View Post
              Thanks guys.

              I'm leaning towards a $14.99 price point for it, should it pass trello voting. It's a tough thing to get implemented correctly, and the extra features and ease of integration add value, but at the same time it needs to be priced at a point that isn't a huge gamble for the customer.

              I'd love to know thoughts.
              I think that price is more than fair ... just remember that you need to be happy with the price. I for one will definitely buy it at this price. 8-}
              Quinton Delpeche
              Founder - Gobbo Games | Designer - The Colony 2174 (Board Game) | Developer - Riders of Asgard

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by qdelpeche View Post
                I think that price is more than fair ... just remember that you need to be happy with the price. I for one will definitely buy it at this price. 8-}
                I appreciate the feedback!
                |Mitchell Lucas
                |Technical Sound Designer at Magic Leap

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by Obsidiaguy View Post
                  Indeed it does have a player velocity based wind option, as shown in the hang gliding video in the first post. There is a bool to select for the blueprint instance that changes its wind source from environment based to player based. There is also a multiplier slider to change the intensity of the wind as the player's forward velocity changes.

                  If you want both options in one level, I would just put two (or more) of these blueprints in the level, where one has the player based wind selected. Set yourself a good multiplier for the wind intensity based on player speed, and you're good to go!
                  Awesome, I think this is really underrated and underutilized in games (particularly FPS games)! Ever since I watched gameplay from the game "skate" back in the day I've felt that the simple air rushing sound was missing from a lot of FPS games. They paid such great detail to sounds in that game! Especially with VR coming along I think the emphasis on creating presence/ immersive sound will be that much more important.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    I totally agree, Pheesh. It's unfortunate that there seems to be so much focus on visuals for VR, that people don't seem to understand yet how important the other senses are for immersion. The things you experience everyday, but don't necessarily notice, like wind rushing over your ears, are what's really going to enhance the immersion of VR.

                    At some point I think audio is going to catch up. I'm just hoping to give it a little jump start.
                    |Mitchell Lucas
                    |Technical Sound Designer at Magic Leap

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by Obsidiaguy View Post
                      At some point I think audio is going to catch up. I'm just hoping to give it a little jump start.
                      I already have 3 projects on my backlog that will benefit from this and neither of them is VR ... but the games will benefit from the immersion. 8-}
                      Quinton Delpeche
                      Founder - Gobbo Games | Designer - The Colony 2174 (Board Game) | Developer - Riders of Asgard

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by qdelpeche View Post
                        I already have 3 projects on my backlog that will benefit from this and neither of them is VR ... but the games will benefit from the immersion. 8-}
                        Glad to hear!
                        |Mitchell Lucas
                        |Technical Sound Designer at Magic Leap

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Nicely done!

                          Best-
                          Zak
                          Zak Belica
                          Audio Director, Epic Games

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Thanks Zak!
                            |Mitchell Lucas
                            |Technical Sound Designer at Magic Leap

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Well this is certainly interesting!
                              Let's Connect [Twitter]

                              Comment


                                #30
                                I'm glad you think so, Chance! It's definitely nice to see some input from Epic staff. I'm excited to release this!
                                |Mitchell Lucas
                                |Technical Sound Designer at Magic Leap

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X