Quality Game Settings Menu, a good looking UI ready for use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ]Innuendo[ View Post
    I've solved the problem by adding delays inside the main menu UMG event graph : a 0.05 delay after the Event Construct and a 0.1 delay after the Event OnClicked (OptionsButton). So it makes sure that the FPC is called first, then its variables. So it works now in packaged project.

About the Distant View bug, did you fixed it since the last patch of your option menu ?
    It's good that you have fixed it. I have been working on the latest patch. I am awaiting response from a user who has the problem, but I assume I can re-enable it for now. The problem is not entirely fixed, but the game should now start and work fine. If a computer have the black screen issue, it will trigger it when view distance scaled is modified. I assume the game goes black, but menu is still visible, so user can recover by moving view distance scale back to 1. This is the best I can do for now. I wish I can properly fix this in the future, but since I cant trigger the black screen myself, I cant find a real solution.

In the next patch, I have now included a barebones main menu.
    It includes 3 blueprints. One main menu widget, one player controller to spawn menu and manage action manager, and a Game Mode activating the player controller.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	AG54uZ7.png
Views:	1
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1111400

To set up this main menu, create a new empty black level, Open level world settings in “Window” -> “World Settings”, set its game mode to “ExampleMainMenuGameMode”, and press play.
    That's it. Very little hazzle in setting it up. No weird delay nodes, no casting to player controller.

This is the full patch list, some based on your feedbacks:
    Quality Game Settings 1.5.2 (Unreal 4.11 and 4.12)
    • Re-enabled View Distance Scale. Problem is not solved fully, but the few computers affected by black screen will not experience it on startup, only when changing View Distance.
    • Added barebones Example Main Menu and Character Controller (See manual 7.8)
    • Renamed Mouse tab to Camera. It is more correct since camera sensitivity can be controlled by other input then mouse now.
    • Set (some) variables to be read by ini file. (in file “GameUserSettings.ini (see step 9.1 in manual))
    • Feedback said remapping progress bar was a bit slow. Increased its speed about 30%
    • No longer needs to add “Make Key Input” on “Any Key Press” node
    • The Global Post Process mesh cube and text is now destroyed when game start.
    • UNOFFICIAL “LE Extended Standard Library” support. Added example to add sound class volume control from a marketplace plugin. See step 4.2 in manual. (This is only provided as a suggested improvement, and I can not help if you have problems related to it) https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...andard-library
    • BUGFIX: If save on apply is disabled, keybinding no longer not revert on apply.
    • BUGFIX: Keep mouse sensitivity consistent when fps changes.
    • BUGFIX: Fix an error message wrongly report missing audio emittors.
    • BUGFIX: Quality sliders position was offset when grabbed
    • BUGFIX: Window mode did not have title/top bar (EDIT: Nope, not fixed after all, need to recheck why)

I'll submit it to marketplace team as soon as I get a update on the black screen issue, and have confirmed that it's not as gamebreaking as before.
    Last edited by Scraphead; 07-05-2016, 05:07 PM.
    Marketplace: Quality Game Settings

Comment

Thanks for the new main menu! I look forward to integrating it into my projects.

Comment

Thank you for the upcoming patch.

BUGFIX: Window mode did not have title/top bar
        Is the window for a packaged project still fixed at the corner of the screen ? For me it's now the main problem before using your Settings Menu.

I have another problem/feedback : man can trigger a fire/something else when man clicks outside the Setting Menu vertical box or inside, between buttons. Is there a way to disable this input in the UMG widget ?

Feedback said remapping progress bar was a bit slow. Increased its speed about 30%
        I have another problem : when man remap, for example I press "Z" and then I move the mouse below, it will display "Z+Left Mouse Button". Fortunately, this problem decreases when man increases this speed. It is linked to the problem just above.

Comment

Is the window for a packaged project still fixed at the corner of the screen ? For me it's now the main problem before using your Settings Menu.
          Yes, this was the bug fixed.
          You can try out the packaged 1.5.2 demo http://goo.gl/Ze4kCF
          I have another problem/feedback : man can trigger a fire/something else when man clicks outside the Setting Menu vertical box or inside, between buttons. Is there a way to disable this input in the UMG widget ?
          Input is controlled by the action manager, so it has to be disabled there. UMG widget has no control of where input goes, and "Set Game Mode UI only" will not work since action manager does its own thing.

You can put a branch in action manager to deny input when menu is open. So when menu opens or closes from character, you have to update this new variable in action manager.

Name:	dYy9xMK.png
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	1111482

I have another problem : when man remap, for example I press "Z" and then I move the mouse below, it will display "Z+Left Mouse Button". Fortunately, this problem decreases when man increases this speed. It is linked to the problem just above.
          This is a side effect of being able to remap mouse directions. It does what it's supposed to do, and registers mouse movement as an input if remap timer is not over.

If you feel its too sensitive, you can adjust the threshold to register mouse movement inside Action manager -> Function: "Listens New Mouse Bindings"

Set the thresholds for X and Y axis to a higher value then 0,6. Mouse then needs to move faster for an input to be registered.

Name:	daA4E2k.png
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	1111483

Edit: Oh, did not read that correctly. If it says, "Z+Left Mouse Button", then you pressed left mouse button before timer had ended.
          Last edited by Scraphead; 07-04-2016, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your answer :

Good news.

Quote Originally Posted by ]Innuendo[ View Post
            This is a side effect of being able to remap mouse directions. It does what it's supposed to do, and registers mouse movement as an input if remap timer is not over.
            If you feel its too sensitive, you can adjust the threshold to register mouse movement inside Action manager -> Function: "Listens New Mouse Bindings"
            Set the thresholds for X and Y axis to a higher value then 0,6. Mouse then needs to move faster for an input to be registered.
            This solved the problem (it displayed "Z+Mouse").

I will take a look at the Action Manager.
            Last edited by ]Innuendo[; 07-05-2016, 05:14 AM.

Comment

This solved the problem (it displayed "Z+Mouse").
              Did it say "Z+Mouse", or "Z+Mouse ▼"?
              It is supposed to display a Unicode symbol indicating a mouse direction. I used that symbol since I assumed it was a part of Unreal's fontset. If it is missing that symbol, it does not work on all computers and I need to include my own font in next update.

Comment

There is no problems : it's "Z+Mouse ▼" or other mouse direction symbols.

Comment

Originally posted by Scraphead View Post
                  Good news.
                  Sorry to bring you bad news, windowed mode is not fixed after all. But there is a workaround. I did more testing and noticed I had made a mistake.

If the game starts up in fullscreen mode, it will be stuck in corner when going to windowed mode. Without a GameUserSettings.ini file, the engine start by default in fullscreen mode.
                  If you pull one of the corners to nudge it, its fixed this session. You can go to fullscreen and back to windowed, and it works fine.

Name:	1a7nwr7.png
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	1111563

But if the game restarts in fullscreen mode, the problem is back. If it starts windowed mode, it works fine.
                  That was my mistake, not deleting the old GameUserSetting.ini save file and thinking it was fixed when I no longer used a "execute console command" node.

So a temp workaround would be to ship a game with a GameUserSettings.ini with FullscreenMode=2. (GameUserSetting.ini is generated when pressing OK in menu). But if the user saves the game with fullscreen, the problem re-appear on restart. I dont think this can be solved in blueprints since GameUserSettings is run before I can set a screenmode.

I did some further testing, and found out this is an issue with the engine. Same problem happens in other projects when engine starts up in fullscreen mode.

I will think about it, and see if I can find a workaround, but for now, I will submit a bugreport to epic. Sorry for bringing your hopes up on this bug, I really thought I had it fixed.

I have enjoyed your feedback, and it helps me improve my menu. Do tell me if you find anything else.

Update 1.5.2 is now live on marketplace.

Edit: Bug report link
                  https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...-titlebar.html
                  Last edited by Scraphead; 07-05-2016, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Hey Scraphead,

First of all thanks for making this excellent product and for providing such comprehensive documentation too. One of the best assets on the marketplace IMO.

Unfortunately I have a major issue in 4.11: Play-In-Editor takes 10-15 seconds longer to load because Unreal auto-recompiles all your blueprints every single time PIE launches (log attached). What's more, all these blueprints are auto-tagged as "modified" so a huge list of unsaved files builds up (screenshot attached). To reproduce, create a new 4.11 project with QualitySettings 1.5.2 (or 1.5.1) and hit Play.

While 4.12 doesn't exhibit this issue, I'd prefer to stay on 4.11 if possible because my game is near release and as we all know (or will eventually learn!), migrating from a stable build without good reason is ill-advised; what with new versions often containing very subtle bugs that don't become apparent until much much later, etc.

In any case, thanks a lot for your feature-rich product, I look forward to using it
                    Attached Files

Steam Early Access: Drunk On Nectar - The Nature Simulator

UE4 Plugins: DoN’s Dynamic Mesh FX | DoN’s 3D Pathfinding

Comment

Hi, i keep getting this warnings even on fresh new project created. at first i thought it was from the Macros (on the makeArray0-11) but i tested adding a new pin and the warning stayed at [-1/11] (when it should have raised to /12) so i guess thats not it. do you have any clue what is it? it doesnt make any impact on the game (i think) but it shows up every time i play on editor. settings are saved properly.

forgot to say, im on 4.12.4 and have been experiencing this since 4.12.1 (even 4.11 i think)

http://imgur.com/Mo8iRrn
                      Last edited by jblaswu; 07-06-2016, 09:18 AM.

Comment

First off, this menu is amazing. I've been using it since day one and just recently updated to 1.5.1 for the key rebinds. The only problem I'm having is when I click on of the keys to rebind I get "Err: QualityMenu is missing Action Manager. Cannor Remap Keys". I've tried to troubleshoot this on my own but kind find where in the blueprints this error is being printed from. I followed the setup documentation and set an action manager with the update keybinds in my player pawn. I didn't see anywhere that I shoud somehow add an action manager to the UMG although that's what the error implies. Thanks for the help and once again, this menu is awesome.
                        Current Projects -Cat Interstellar
                        Lead Developer - Ionized Games

Comment

Originally posted by VSZ View Post
                          Hey Scraphead,

First of all thanks for making this excellent product and for providing such comprehensive documentation too. One of the best assets on the marketplace IMO.

Unfortunately I have a major issue in 4.11: Play-In-Editor takes 10-15 seconds longer to load because Unreal auto-recompiles all your blueprints every single time PIE launches (log attached). What's more, all these blueprints are auto-tagged as "modified" so a huge list of unsaved files builds up (screenshot attached). To reproduce, create a new 4.11 project with QualitySettings 1.5.2 (or 1.5.1) and hit Play.

While 4.12 doesn't exhibit this issue, I'd prefer to stay on 4.11 if possible because my game is near release and as we all know (or will eventually learn!), migrating from a stable build without good reason is ill-advised; what with new versions often containing very subtle bugs that don't become apparent until much much later, etc.

In any case, thanks a lot for your feature-rich product, I look forward to using it
                          Thank you, this issue was an oddity that appeared with 4.11. I finally found out that the 4.11 engine simply dont like any references to my game settings interface.

For example, this node with a yellow interface. It triggers the compile/re-save in any blueprint it is added to, even when nothing is connected to it. The empty node alone is enough to require a resave on play.

Name:	ZzSNppH.png
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	1111600

And when it's in a macro library, it corrupts everything in that macro library, even other macros not related to it. So if a blueprint is using an unrelated macro in that macro library, it too needs to resave on play.

Unfortunately, this node is also an essential part of the "Get Game Settings" macro, so we have to do some work to improve this problem per project.

Step 1:
                          If you just opened your project, press play once to remind editor that GameInstanceWithSettings blueprint exists, it sometimes forgets.

Step 2:
                          Open up Macro library QualityMenu => Blueprints => Util => GameSettingsMacros
                          Find macro function Get Game Settings, and cast directly to your projects GameInstance blueprint, instead of using the interface.
                          In this picture, I use my default "GameInstanceWithSettings" blueprint and get the GameSettings variable as output.

Name:	n7w26jK.png
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1111592

Step 3:
                          Open up you GameInstance blueprint and find "Init Game Settings".
                          Make a literal string and literal int for "Settings Save Name" and "Save User Index"
                          Right click and expand the macro node.

Name:	D4L2o5N.png
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	1111593

Step 4:
                          Upen up GameSettingsMacros library again and delete the "Init Game Settings" function.
                          The macro library is now clean of any references to a game instance.

If you press and play now, you dont need to re-save most files.

GameInstanceWithSettings and GameSettings still reference the interface class, and needs to be resaved.

Step 5:
                          Create a new variable of your Game Instance class in GameSettings

Name:	wOFQkd1.png
Size:	2.4 KB
ID:	1111594

Then replace all references of game settings interface in GameSettings with your own game instance.

Name:	FYfYhmG.png
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	1111595

Name:	a44Qspi.png
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	1111596

Name:	nj3YYEC.png
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	1111597

Replace Input/Output variable types as needed.

Name:	viq558G.png
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	1111598

Finally delete the "Game Settings Interface" variable when all references to it has been replaced.
                          (Global Post Process Interface dont cause any problems)

Step 6:
                          Since you changed input type on "Init Save Game Settings", you need to reconnect it in you Game Instance blueprint.

Name:	ahF5ZCM.png
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	1111599

Done:
                          This will make pressing play on PIE responsive again. Sorry about this, this has been one odd bug. I feel like there is a simpler solution somewhere, so if I find one, I will put out an update for 4.11.

Thank you for telling me this, I needed a bit of rubber duck help from you. I had been bothered by this one, but I understand if you have a bigger project, this can get frustrating fast.
                          (Edit, it triggers on 4.12 too, but not always, I need to look into it)

Tell me if you need more help. Good luck on finalizing your project.
                          Last edited by Scraphead; 07-06-2016, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jblaswu View Post
                            Hi, i keep getting this warnings even on fresh new project created. at first i thought it was from the Macros (on the makeArray0-11) but i tested adding a new pin and the warning stayed at [-1/11] (when it should have raised to /12) so i guess thats not it. do you have any clue what is it? it doesnt make any impact on the game (i think) but it shows up every time i play on editor. settings are saved properly.

forgot to say, im on 4.12.4 and have been experiencing this since 4.12.1 (even 4.11 i think)

http://imgur.com/Mo8iRrn
                            Hi, I checked it, it's harmless. Your first hunch was correct, its in the replace key mapping macro. the /11 refers to the second array, not the first one.

I have a select statement that chooses output depending on if it finds something in the array or not. Even if its not used when element is not found, and output is false, the GET node still throws a warning message.

Name:	tms1OpY.png
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	1111602

It works as it is supposed to do, but thanks for telling me, I had not noticed it. I will change it so it does not throw the error message later.

Comment

Wow thank you! Your commitment and support is simply outstanding, I really appreciate it.

So I'll scrub out GameInstanceInterface like you described, sounds good. Must have taken a while to test a fix and write those detailed instructions, so thanks again.

Also eager to see more marketplace items from you in the future

Steam Early Access: Drunk On Nectar - The Nature Simulator

UE4 Plugins: DoN’s Dynamic Mesh FX | DoN’s 3D Pathfinding

Comment

Originally posted by sanford87 View Post
                                First off, this menu is amazing. I've been using it since day one and just recently updated to 1.5.1 for the key rebinds. The only problem I'm having is when I click on of the keys to rebind I get "Err: QualityMenu is missing Action Manager. Cannor Remap Keys". I've tried to troubleshoot this on my own but kind find where in the blueprints this error is being printed from. I followed the setup documentation and set an action manager with the update keybinds in my player pawn. I didn't see anywhere that I shoud somehow add an action manager to the UMG although that's what the error implies. Thanks for the help and once again, this menu is awesome.
                                Thank you for your kind words.

You add action manager when you create the settings menu widget.

Name:	fcVKoge.png
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	1111603

I assume this is missing, tell me if this did not solve your problem.

To search for an error message, you can open up "find result" in any blueprint.

Name:	5uZkkyL.png
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	1111604

Then remove checkmark in "Find In Current Blueprint Only"

Name:	DOfFBbZ.png
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	1111606

Now you can find the location of the error message.

Comment

Working...
                                X