Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Nice demo man, congrats.

Got a question the demo is using baked lightmaps ? At scale the meshes you're editing too the scale of the lightmaps with BP or manual each one ?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hello,

I've been enjoying using Supergrid in my projects -- such a nice time saver, never start a map without it

I thought I'd share a simple room builder blueprint I put together that works well with the supergrid meshes. Not sure if there's a better place to put it, but here it is for anyone who's interested! You're free to use and include it in your projects if you find it useful.

It's pretty simple, but its features are:
    • Creation of a watertight cuboid room out of supergrid boxes without overlapping geometry
    • Scale tools to change dimesions of room in x,y,z
    • Specify wall thickness (default is 10 cm)
    • Specify floor thickness and ceiling thickness separately
    • Selectively turn on or off each of the four walls, ceiling, floor individually
    • Selectively create a doorway in each of the four walls individually (North door is enabled by default, can turn it off)
    • Door can be positioned anywhere along a wall
    • Door width can be specified
    • Door height can be specified (door header is removed entirely if door height is >= room height)
    • Configuring walls and combining roombuilder actors allows the creation of complex non-cuboid room geometry like halls and rooms with more than four walls.
    • Specify lightmap resolution for walls and ceiling/floor separately. (all walls are set at once, and floor/ceiling are set at once)
    • Using lightmap resolution settings and thicker walls helps reduce light bleed and lightmap seams.

Using it should just be a matter of extracting the zip into the appropriate content directory of your choice in your project. Note, it expects the supergrid box to be located at Game/Supergrid/Starterpack/Source/Meshes/Supergrid_Box. If yours is in a different place, you may need to adjust the mesh references in the Add Wall Static Mesh blueprint function. There are five static mesh components there for the various lightmap resolutions, you'll want to change all of them. Other meshes could probably be used too, but I haven't tried.

Anyway, hope someone finds it useful, you can find it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jgi38e3md4...ilder.zip?dl=0

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Guys!
    Playable demo is now available on itch.io!
    If you wanted to try SuperGrid, but had some doubts - now you can just play and see it for yourself

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Winterstone View Post
    Maybe a silly question but....

I'm looking to create a basic sewer system for my game. Just a basic level with custom textures. Is there any reason why i shouldn't just use Supergrid for it?

I see references regarding strictly prototyping, but it seems to me this has come far enough to be usable for more of an actual game. I don't know much about performance cost or anything like that so if there is a reason for that I'd love an brief explanation. Thanks
    Hey, sorry for not replying so long, did not noticed replies
    Shader is not performance-hungry, it just utilizes data you already have in meshes. Of course there is some cost, but I don't think it might be an issue for performance in packaged games, on my machine with gtx760 I'm able to have 60fps in Tutorial level with a lot of particles, post processing and lighting effects on Epic settings.
    Last edited by zeOrb; 07-05-2016, 10:26 AM. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Maybe a silly question but....

I'm looking to create a basic sewer system for my game. Just a basic level with custom textures. Is there any reason why i shouldn't just use Supergrid for it?

I see references regarding strictly prototyping, but it seems to me this has come far enough to be usable for more of an actual game. I don't know much about performance cost or anything like that so if there is a reason for that I'd love an brief explanation. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well, meshes should work fine from the box - tutorial level built with static lighting...
    Any details on your setup would help to solve the issue. Is it movable mesh in static lit environment? Have you reimported meshes or did something "unorthodox"?
    Nope. Running UE4 4.11. Just a small map made with the box meshes. Everything is static, but building static lights just results in black. :/

Edit: okay, I think it has something to do with the box mesh lightmap. i must have screwed something up with it. i tried migrating a new version of the asset in but it doesn't seem to fix it though? seems the lightmaps are working properly on the other meshes.

EDIT 2: Nevermind! I just re-imported the box mesh manually from a new version of the base project. Everything works now. Sorry!
    Last edited by darkpivot; 05-21-2016, 05:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Heeeyy folks, sooo, there is rating system noow... I would be suuuper thankful for some upvotes! If you liked SuperGrid, of course =)

Originally posted by Arikhitech View Post
    Cool tool - will def be buying soon. Just curious whether SuperGrid will work with the Unreal Editor in VR mode? I know the UE4 VR Editor is still in early development but having SuperGrid fully functioning in VR could lead to interesting possibilities.
    I think it should work fine in VR, but I have not tested it. But yeah, I think SuperGrid would be cool in something like Leap motion Orion demo
    Originally posted by darkpivot View Post
    So I'm using SuperGrid and I'm trying to bake static lighting. However, when I do so everything just turns pitch black after building the lighting. Any help?
    Hello!
    Well, meshes should work fine from the box - tutorial level built with static lighting...
    Any details on your setup would help to solve the issue. Is it movable mesh in static lit environment? Have you reimported meshes or did something "unorthodox"?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    So I'm using SuperGrid and I'm trying to bake static lighting. However, when I do so everything just turns pitch black after building the lighting. Any help?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Cool tool - will def be buying soon. Just curious whether SuperGrid will work with the Unreal Editor in VR mode? I know the UE4 VR Editor is still in early development but having SuperGrid fully functioning in VR could lead to interesting possibilities.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi [MENTION=1445]zeOrb[/MENTION] master
    UhOh fancy spline wall tool is still inside Supergrid, but i could not find it.
    I get no updatenotification for Supergrid inside the UE4 launcher and when i create a fresh project for SG, then i could not see the fancy splinestuff, for example.
    Do i something wrong?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Zeorb_SG.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	644.2 KB
ID:	1105252

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by jojo8026 View Post
    Having a dynamic window that can be resized would be awesome
    Agreed, I'm building my house layout, and a dynamic window would save me heaps of time.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Having a dynamic window that can be resized would be awesome

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Weeee *bow* master ^^
    All that shiny stuff.
    Uhoh thank you very much.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by zeOrb View Post
    Gotcha folks!
    I'll try to release docs on how to create meshes next week. Basically UV shells should be real world size(uv 0-1 space = 1m), should be correctly aligned to direction of scaling and origin point of scaling should match proper corner of UV shell. I'll make it more clear in tutorial
    Cube mastered

The big problem for me is that I use Blender, and everything is messed up. What's up in the UV editor must be down on the mesh so it get right when imported in UE4. That makes things very counterintuitive for me. (need to mirror and rotate the faces in the UV).

perhaps my default settings need to be adjusted

don't know if it's already reported, there's is a bug with the arches:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	deleteme_sg_archbug.png
Views:	1
Size:	374.5 KB
ID:	1104291

Leave a comment:

• replied
    [MENTION=1445]zeOrb[/MENTION]

Ah, Ok thanks I see it now!

I was waiting for the update before creating the project, I didn't realize that the update would happen from creating the project. LOL
    Thank you! This pack looks amazing!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X