No announcement yet.

SuperGrid - Fast Level Prototyping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is some of the coolest stuff I've seen in awhile. Keep it up! Can't wait to see more!
    @Brian__May

Comment

Excellent work! This is on my must have list

Comment

Looks great, and $10-15 is a perfect price point for this sort of thing.

As an artist who tries to design levels, having these sorts of resources really help me focus my ideas first and then go in and art later. Can't wait to use it!

Comment

Awesome work

Is it planned a texture with 1cm square for precision prototyping ?

If this is the case, I buy it now !

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
            The material looks like standard triplanar mapping?
            I'm not sure what exactly do you mean by "standard triplanar mapping", if you mean something like this, then no. I've mentioned difference between this and my setup multiple times with gifs. I use triplanar in this particular video, but only because point of this was to showcase unaffected by scale features of the mesh, so I did not care much about everything else and used simple mat

Originally posted by TK-421 View Post
            Excellent work! This is on my must have list
            Originally posted by MooseCommander View Post
            Looks great, and $10-15 is a perfect price point for this sort of thing.

As an artist who tries to design levels, having these sorts of resources really help me focus my ideas first and then go in and art later. Can't wait to use it!
            Thanks guys, I hope you will like it when I ship it!
            Originally posted by kuroi93 View Post
            Awesome work

Is it planned a texture with 1cm square for precision prototyping ?

If this is the case, I buy it now !
            Hey Kuroi93, thanks for your interest!
            In material settings you can set grid spacing in centimeters, as well as pattern size(Checkers in this particular case). Check out this video(Watch in 1080p, it's hard to see 1cm lines with blur effect )
            By default grid spacing is 10cm and pattern is 1m.

SuperGrid: Marketplace Page | Feedback Thread | Demo | Website
            Level design and prototyping for newbies

Comment

This is triplanar mapping:
              http://www.martinpalko.com/triplanar-mapping/

Which gives you results like this:

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
                This is triplanar mapping:
                http://www.martinpalko.com/triplanar-mapping/

Which gives you results like this
                Exactly.
                Triplanar mapping using world space UVs for textures, my material use mesh UVs for textures.
                You can see dynamic distortion during rotation and scrolling effect during translation in triplanar

Comment

I am ready to purchase this.
                  Tim Elek - Sr. VFX Artist Epic Games

Comment

Looks great! Is there a good resource for Tri/Biplanar mapping in the UE4 material editor?
                    Map Generator 1.0
                    Map Generator 2.0
                    Map Generator 3.0

Comment

Originally posted by [DEV]homeRye View Post
                      I am ready to purchase this.
                      Woosh, Epic post! Encouraging!

Originally posted by Zeustiak View Post
                      Looks great! Is there a good resource for Tri/Biplanar mapping in the UE4 material editor?
                      Oh hai! Thanks!

Check out Electricsauce thread

Comment

Looks cool. I'd buy it.

Comment

Looks pretty handy. If the price is right I'll definitely look at picking it up. The easier it is to block out things the better.

Comment

I already have the grey box kit, has been extremely useful on testing how well game play flows in the level without starting 3d production, this one looks way more advanced hope to get my hands on it soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Luos View Post
                              To Rephrase:
                              I do think this is a rather simple setup, but especially for beginners and people who like fast, clean workflow when mapping out a leveldesign this can be very valueble.
                              I got to ask though: whats the difference between this and the content found here: http://www.tomlooman.com/category/samples-downloads/ ?
                              I too make use of both of Tom Looman's blockout materials + a combination of some in-house materials for our early stages of pre-viz level layouts but I would be more than happy to support this product and at $10-$15 it is a steal

I would also like to suggest for inclusion in this pack or a future pack the ability to have scale silhouette references for generic objects like characters, cars, buildings, trees, etc. which can easily be edited + added to by the end-user/developer.

A basic example of this is from the Source/CS:GO SDK:

This would be extremely useful to get an idea of scale on multiple levels/scopes e.g. making a large city and seeing how high a car, player, tree, fence, etc. would be off street level before even needing to go in and place either placeholder or final 3D meshes of those assets to gather height references.

The way I would probably do this is to create a Master Layered Material with hidden masks of all the silhouette objects you wish to include and depending on the scale of the BSP brush you would upscale or downscale + swap out your silhouette masks and in doing so you could make the texture grid wider on the material. You could also layer characters, cars & trees perhaps together e.g. offset the tree to the corner of the mask, while the character is in the centre & tile horizontally.

NOTE: You would in most cases not want to have the masks tile for things like trees, fences, etc. like it dues with that basic player height reference the Hammer/Source/CS:GO SDK have as a placeholder/blockout texture.
                              Attached Files
                              Regards,
                              Benjamin D. Smith

Founder & CEO | Binary Sword Pty Ltd
                              Currently working on: ODIN Tracker (UE4 Plugin)

Comment

Is this out yet? Is it on trello so I can vote? Really want this, the most important stage of game dev, these tools are perfect for my workflow! Good job man I would defo buy this!

Comment

Working...
                                X