No announcement yet.

SuperGrid - Fast Level Prototyping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a beautiful add-on to UE4. I downloaded the demo.... and bought it less than 5 minutes after. It's that good =P

Comment

what about just deleting faces? rather then subtracting, that would speed it up for me, when I am crating a static mesh it also crates duplicate faces

I cant do a video but, it's not a Big deal
      but in a but shell it dose not make a static mesh al all,

Also when I am crating static meshes the new mesh dose not line up with the grid, it moves the origin to a different place witch changes the location off the line of the grid

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	1121526

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	1121527

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	1121528
      Last edited by WeekendWarrior; 01-15-2017, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WeekendWarrior View Post
        what about just deleting faces? rather then subtracting, that would speed it up for me, when I am crating a static mesh it also crates duplicate faces
        Deleting faces/subtracting requires is basically the same process underneath, I will investigate possibilities but I can't promise anything on that part

I cant do a video but, it's not a Big deal
        but in a but shell it dose not make a static mesh al all
        Seems like there is a bug in engine(or intended behavior, not sure at the moment) which reset scale to 1,1,1 if you trying to convert single mesh. If works fine if you're selecting multiple meshes so it most likely bug rather than a feature. Worth an answerhub report, I guess!

Also when I am crating static meshes the new mesh dose not line up with the grid, it moves the origin to a different place witch changes the location off the line of the grid
        Converting to single mesh "bakes" scale information into the new mesh so SG can't utilize all this data anymore to show grid properly. Instead of having different scale values for different meshes it has just 1,1,1 for everything. I see one method which might help in this case, but it will take some time to investigate if this doable

Thanks,
        Dmitry.
        SuperGrid: Marketplace Page | Feedback Thread | Demo | Website
        Level design and prototyping for newbies

Comment

Question! I'm pretty new at UE4 still, and love SuperGrid, but I'm curious about something...

With a SuperGrid material applied to the SuperGrid mesh, you can scale the mesh, and it doesn't look stretched out - that's the whole point, right? lol.

But... is there a limit to how much you should stretch it (within reason, of course)? Will stretching it excessively negatively affect anything, like lighting, once you start adding in more detail to the map? In other words, in terms of SuperGrid, is it perfectly okay to use stretched meshes for my level geometry, or should I be using more modular pieces?

Since SuperGrid materials look fine when they are scaled, I'm guessing it doesnt matter, and there doesn't seem to be a major difference... But I could be wrong =P

Comment

Originally posted by namrats View Post
            Will stretching it excessively negatively affect anything, like lighting, once you start adding in more detail to the map?
            Usually you have (at least) 2 UVmaps for a static mesh. One for the texture and a further one for the lightmap (which could be created manually in your 3D app or automatically from UE4 if you import your mesh). You could choose which UVmap should be used for the lightmap and you could set the lightmap resolution individually for every mesh. Supergrid material function just prevents the streching of your texture but it doesn't do anything with the UVs from the lightmap. If you think lightning gets worse on a big mesh then just open your static mesh and change the value for the lightmap resolution like you would do with any other mesh as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Neutronux View Post
              Supergrid material function just prevents the streching of your texture but it doesn't do anything with the UVs from the lightmap. If you think lightning gets worse on a big mesh then just open your static mesh and change the value for the lightmap resolution like you would do with any other mesh as well.
              I see, thanks. That's all good to know

Comment

Originally posted by namrats View Post
                Question! I'm pretty new at UE4 still, and love SuperGrid, but I'm curious about something...

With a SuperGrid material applied to the SuperGrid mesh, you can scale the mesh, and it doesn't look stretched out - that's the whole point, right? lol.

But... is there a limit to how much you should stretch it (within reason, of course)? Will stretching it excessively negatively affect anything, like lighting, once you start adding in more detail to the map? In other words, in terms of SuperGrid, is it perfectly okay to use stretched meshes for my level geometry, or should I be using more modular pieces?

Since SuperGrid materials look fine when they are scaled, I'm guessing it doesnt matter, and there doesn't seem to be a major difference... But I could be wrong =P
                Hey Namrats!

There are certain limits, but I rarely see someone hit them
                For example, if you want to create reeeeeally huge box like 1km wide then you can't use SuperGrid_Box due to UE4 collision calculation - hidden collision box won't be scaled correctly and you will wobble around instead of walking Instead, you should use SuperGrid_Box_HighRes which has more complicated collision that will scale properly beyond 1km size.

As a rule of thumb - yes, if it does looks good and you don't wobble then you should be safe!
                As for lighting, [MENTION=42739]Neutronux[/MENTION] is correct and size should be manually overwritten per mesh if it does not look good. Bigger mesh means higher resolution(You can look at Starting level if you're not sure about LightmapRes numbers). I've tried to automate this, but sadly BP don't have access to LightmapRes data

Thanks,
                Dmitry

Comment

Hey guys!

Just a little heads up - a new Tonemapper was introduced in 4.15 version and a lot of old materials might look not right. I will update everything to match proper colors next week(hopefully).

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by zeOrb View Post
                    Hey guys!

Just a little heads up - a new Tonemapper was introduced in 4.15 version and a lot of old materials might look not right. I will update everything to match proper colors next week(hopefully).

Thanks!
                    Hi, i just wanted to know if this now works fine with version 4.15 of the editor? Also if you've updated the SuperGrid pack, how do we get the update? Sorry for the noob questions lol. Cant wait to start using it!
                    Last edited by DonnieVegas; 03-07-2017, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DonnieVegas View Post
                      Hi, i just wanted to know if this now works fine with version 4.15 of the editor? Also if you've updated the SuperGrid pack, how do we get the update? Sorry for the noob questions lol. Cant wait to start using it!
                      Hello there!

Yep, I've updated for 4.15, should work fine!
                      You will get it new version automatically if you've just purchased the product and create a 4.15 project. Marketplace stores different versions of product for different versions of the engine so there should no problems at all

Have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by zeOrb View Post
                        Hello there!

Yep, I've updated for 4.15, should work fine!
                        You will get it new version automatically if you've just purchased the product and create a 4.15 project. Marketplace stores different versions of product for different versions of the engine so there should no problems at all

Have fun!
                        Thanks [MENTION=1445]zeOrb[/MENTION] thats great news!

Comment

Is it possible to run this at runtime?
                          Last edited by Mantrack; 04-07-2017, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Using Unreal Engine 4.15.1 whenever I migrate the SuperGrid folder to any other project in its Content folder I get two log errors:

Name:	supergrid-log-error-migrate.PNG
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	1126677

In this case migrating to a blank blueprint project.

Comment

Hey guys, there is an issue with 4.16 version since Power node logic was changed.
                              It will be fixed as soon as update will hit the Marketplace, as for now(Or if you just want to update your project) do the following:
                              1. Navigate to Content/SuperGrid/StarterPack/Materials/Functions/UV/ and open UV_ObjectScalable file
                              2. Add Abs node between TransformVector and Power node as shown there.

Originally posted by Mantrack View Post
                              Is it possible to run this at runtime?
                              Yes, it would stretch properly during runtime

Originally posted by DarkS474 View Post
                              Using Unreal Engine 4.15.1 whenever I migrate the SuperGrid folder to any other project in its Content folder I get two log errors:

In this case migrating to a blank blueprint project.
                              Hello!
                              Sorry for late reply, have not noticed this post.
                              Is it still an issue? I've tried migrating whole folder in 4.16 and it's working properly

Comment

hi I get weird glitches on the materials

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	1129856

Name:	Untitled2.jpg
Size:	257.0 KB