Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by calpolican View Post
    Hey, I come from Unity and I use ProBuilder. With it you can´t export in quads (wich would allow to improve your meshes after in your modeler app), and moving vertex and or edges can be still buggy.

I was wondering about supergrid:
    1-Can you extrude faces, and/or move borders and/or vertex inside the engine? (or is this already posible in UE?).
    2-In supergrid´s page they pay a lot of attention in the materials and almost none in the meshes, are there any tutorial on the meshes itself?
    3-How do you "import the package" of supergrid? there´s little info on how to use it.
    4-After prototyping is done, will my texture keep the uvs that were layed out when I change the material to one I already have?
    5-Can you change the smoothness of the edges inside the engine?
    6-Can you change the parameters of the stair for example to define the sizes and number of the steps, etc? Where would that be?
    Thanks,
    1. Nope, you can only do stuff like that with BSP.
    2. There isn't really to talk about except for the one corner BP. Take a look at that in the demo level.
    3. You'll have to create a new project and migrate the assets. You just migrate the source folder I believe
    4. What do you mean?
    5. That has to be done in your modeling software. I guess you can export the fbx and add your own smoothing groups/ extra polys that you want.
    6. I don't think so. I don't see any blueprints for stairs, just static meshes. Consider this: https://www.unrealengine.com/content...55142f0b0353a2

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey, I come from Unity and I use ProBuilder. With it you can´t export in quads (wich would allow to improve your meshes after in your modeler app), and moving vertex and or edges can be still buggy.

I was wondering about supergrid:
    1-Can you extrude faces, and/or move borders and/or vertex inside the engine? (or is this already posible in UE?).
    2-In supergrid´s page they pay a lot of attention in the materials and almost none in the meshes, are there any tutorial on the meshes itself?
    3-How do you "import the package" of supergrid? there´s little info on how to use it.
    4-After prototyping is done, will my texture keep the uvs that were layed out when I change the material to one I already have?
    5-Can you change the smoothness of the edges inside the engine?
    6-Can you change the parameters of the stair for example to define the sizes and number of the steps, etc? Where would that be?
    Thanks,
    Last edited by calpolican; 08-11-2015, 06:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by zeOrb View Post
    Ok, I found the issue. For now:
    Open SuperGrid -> StarterPack -> Materials -> Functions -> UV -> UV_ObjectScalable and change value of Power node to 4 or 2.

It could add a little distortion to curvy surfaces, but should fix this issue. I will add more reliable way in the update.
    Oh man, you're the best! Thank you so much for investigating this
    Last edited by Brandon Wamboldt; 08-10-2015, 04:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ok, I found the issue. For now:
    Open SuperGrid -> StarterPack -> Materials -> Functions -> UV -> UV_ObjectScalable and change value of Power node to 4 or 2.

It could add a little distortion to curvy surfaces, but should fix this issue. I will add more reliable way in the update.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Brandon Wamboldt View Post
    Yes, it seems to happen on any object at the exact same scale (between 230-235).
    Mhm, this is very weird. I mean I've tested scaling even for 1k and everything was fine, but now I'm getting this glitches in 4.8.3
    I'll download 4.7.6 and compare the results, maybe some calculation has changed in 4.8.3 =/

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by _cDub View Post
    Did you try the high resolution one?
    Yes, it seems to happen on any object at the exact same scale (between 230-235).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Brandon Wamboldt View Post
    FYI the material breaks if you scale an object over 235, not sure if its a UE4 problem or an issue with your material. Very annoying though.
    Did you try the high resolution one?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    FYI the material breaks if you scale an object over 235, not sure if its a UE4 problem or an issue with your material. Very annoying though.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Love SuperGrid zeOrb. Very easy way to prototype. made learning UE4 a bit easier....I say that like i'm done learning or even past kindergarten :-)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    After watching that video - Yep, ProBuilder is the ****.

But in the mean time, SuperGrid is a nice alternative.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Clavus View Post
    I saw this video criticizing modern level design tools making rounds and I was instantly reminded of your tool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubu76gEvM8

You make level design in Unreal a lot more tolerable for those designers that want to iterate quickly and efficiently. Hope Epic takes a good look at your work when they update the geometry editor in the future.
    Hah, Joe video is everywhere, noice!
    It's kinda funny that back in the day I was on other side of barricades and only after some intense level prototyping sessions I realized how wrong I was about this process and this is led to SuperGrid creation

Originally posted by benjamin.smith View Post
    I would also like to bring up the topic of ProBuilder for UE4 and perhaps zeOrb could look at partnering up with Gabriel Williams on making that a reality?

Actually we've bumped into each other on reddit and chatted about this possibility a little bit

Originally posted by KitatusStudios View Post
    Man, That approach can't be good for performance.

Edit: Export to obj? That's quite awesome; If SuperGrid got that.... Maaaaaannnnn.....
    As far as I remember it should create just mesh so it's nice in that matter
    Also, you could export SuperGrid as obj and remove unused mesh parts and etc, just don't break UV's

It wouldn't invalidate SuperGrid for me; I guess it'd be down to personal preference. I admit that ProBuilder looks interesting, But isn't BSP 2.0 still on the roadmap for eventual release in Unreal Engine 4? Also, Seeing as ProBuilder development for UE4 is most likely dead (I can't find any recent posts about it) - It seems to me that SuperGrid is the best option at the moment, Especially at the current price for what you get.

I doubt we'll see a mesh editor in-engine that can UV / Export as SM .etc for a long, long, long time as it'd require a massive undertaking of work.
    It totally depends on how well developed BSP 2.0 will be. For example, I created SuperGrid after I found out how current BSP is limited and "slow", but BSP 2.0 could fix it and then probably I should switch to some other projects.
    I think we don't see active ProBuilder development due to same possibility, because creating such complex tool for UE4 requires a lot of efforts and it will be quite sad if BSP 2.0 invalidates this.
    Let's wait and see what Epic is making for us!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It wouldn't invalidate SuperGrid for me; I guess it'd be down to personal preference. I admit that ProBuilder looks interesting, But isn't BSP 2.0 still on the roadmap for eventual release in Unreal Engine 4? Also, Seeing as ProBuilder development for UE4 is most likely dead (I can't find any recent posts about it) - It seems to me that SuperGrid is the best option at the moment, Especially at the current price for what you get.

I doubt we'll see a mesh editor in-engine that can UV / Export as SM .etc for a long, long, long time as it'd require a massive undertaking of work.
    SuperGrid is useful for quickly prototyping a map, but with the downside of you almost certainly needing to delete all of the meshes due to unsightly seams created by lightmaps, and the obvious issue of materials not lining up perfectly - due to the fact that eventually you'll have to duplicate a cube for certain floors, ceilings, walls... etc.

If you use Probuilder, or BSP 2.0, which I'm assuming will behave similarly to Probuilder, then your prototype geometry would only need to be partially deleted. You could leave things like, floors and ceilings, since the geometry for that doesn't need to be overly complex.

Now, if you want to build a low poly HOLP style map, then probuilder would be the absolute best choice, since you're designing the geometry to intentionally be very clean, with perfectly lined up materials, etc.

In the mean time, you could just build your entire map in Maya/3dsmax/blender... which is tedious yet possible - I've been doing it with some success. Once I get the kinks ironed out, I'll probably post a tutorial or something demonstrating how I did it. The downside to this is, eventually some of that geometry will need to be deleted to make room for static meshes during finalization. That's going to be a pain in the butt.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by CaptainMigraine View Post
    I mentioned ProBuilder to Epic (indirectly) about a year ago. I'm not sure what they think about it. My thoughts are, if ProBuilder were to ever become a reality for UE4, it would almost certainly obsolete SuperGrid, as it should since it's a more comprehensive solution to the outdated prototype tools in UE4. SuperGrid is attempting to fill a void, as it's merely a collection of materials, static meshes, blueprints, etc. Also, if there are any performance concerns about probuilder, you could always export the geometry, convert to a static mesh (or a few)... and bam... performance concerns alleviated. I seriously doubt it will be an issue.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I mentioned ProBuilder to Epic (indirectly) about a year ago. I'm not sure what they think about it. My thoughts are, if ProBuilder were to ever become a reality for UE4, it would almost certainly obsolete SuperGrid, as it should since it's a more comprehensive solution to the outdated prototype tools in UE4. SuperGrid is attempting to fill a void, as it's merely a collection of materials, static meshes, blueprints, etc. Also, if there are any performance concerns about probuilder, you could always export the geometry, convert to a static mesh (or a few)... and bam... performance concerns alleviated. I seriously doubt it will be an issue.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    @KitatusStudios actually it has been stated that is not the case

Originally posted by yahodahan View Post
    Actually, this is not BSP at all, it creates regular 3D meshes, and so has zero difference in performance from an imported mesh. The isn't to replace external modeling programs (still need those, of course), but to provide a quick and simple in-editor modeling solution for prototyping or simple geometry. Makes a world of a difference for how quickly a game can be developed
    SOURCE: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post114001

FULL DISCLOSURE: I've not personally used ProBuilder due to not having used Unity3D enough in the past to merit using it and I admit that I only recently actually stumbled upon ProBuilder to begin with but the benefits are clear from reading through their features list here: http://www.protoolsforunity3d.com/probuilder/ and quite frankly they make me drool due to most of my involve staying agile with workflows that involve rapid prototyping than iterating.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X