SuperGrid - Fast Level Prototyping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DavidBN View Post
    Just purchased and look forward to trying. But I'm having trouble adding SuperGrid to an existing 4.8 project.

In the Epic Launcher, under my Vault, SuperGrid gives me the option to 'Add to project.' Clicking on this takes me to Choose Project Name and Location - to create a new project. I see none of the 4.6 - 4.8 project thumbs that exist in My Projects. I have 4.7.6 and 4.8 Preview two installed.
    I had this issue as well, i just opened the super grid as its own project and then migrate the entire folder into the project i desired. I am not sure why it cannot be added to existing projects from the start screen probably will be fixed soon.

Comment

Gonna buy this, hope it helps me with level design :-)
      Hobbyist

Comment

Originally posted by DavidBN View Post
        Just purchased and look forward to trying. But I'm having trouble adding SuperGrid to an existing 4.8 project.

In the Epic Launcher, under my Vault, SuperGrid gives me the option to 'Add to project.' Clicking on this takes me to Choose Project Name and Location - to create a new project. I see none of the 4.6 - 4.8 project thumbs that exist in My Projects. I have 4.7.6 and 4.8 Preview two installed.
        Hello David,
        Yeah, there is an issue with Launcher, check out Marketplace FAQ, last paragraph

Originally posted by thelONE View Post
        Fantastic work zeOrb! I really really love your job, and hope you can keep going and make it even better!
        I have a question: Most tutorials I watched about level editing in Unreal Editor were brush-based, create brushes and perform additive/subtractive operations on them.
        And your method is different, it's staticmesh-based, it's easier to use and I love it.
        What do you think about your method comparing to the traditional brush-based method? Is it only intended to be used as prototyping or it can also work well in real production?
        Thanks thelONE!
        Well, brush-based method is viable only for prototyping and it's recommended by Epic not to use this in final shipping of your product.
        As for SuperGrid, it's could be used in real production, but there are some caveats I want to cover later in a guide. Basically it will explain how to get the most from assets with high. res. Lightmap and Distance Fields.

Originally posted by Speiderful View Post
        Gonna buy this, hope it helps me with level design :-)
        Good luck Speiderful!
        SuperGrid: Marketplace Page | Feedback Thread | Demo | Website
        Level design and prototyping for newbies

Comment

This work with the static light (Lightmass) or at scale the models with different x,y,z scales the lightmap breaks ?
          Hevedy - Instance Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/hevedyinstances
          Hevedy - Image Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/imagetools

Comment

Originally posted by Hevedy View Post
            This work with the static light (Lightmass) or at scale the models with different x,y,z scales the lightmap breaks ?
            Hey Hev!
            Nah, nothing like that, but you have to take into account that with high scale value you have to scale up Lightmap resolution and etc
            With distance fields there is a bug with non-uniform scaling which smash SuperGrid pretty hard:
            Non-uniform scaling cannot be handled correctly (mirroring is ok). However, squishing by 2x or less is generally not noticeable.
            Just some general stuff that relevant to SuperGrid especially.

Comment

Hey impatient question is the UT bug already fixed? I just can't wait to frag in my map! THX

Comment

Originally posted by sebas View Post
                Hey impatient question is the UT bug already fixed? I just can't wait to frag in my map! THX
                Hey Sebas, I sent updated project to Epic and it should have been live already, but seems like there were some complications :c
                I think it delayed until monday =/

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by zeOrb View Post

I hope you won't change your mind after purchase!
                    What if zePresident is evil overlord... and forcing people to leave nice feedback on pain of destruction... There is only way to find out!

Actually, why not!
                    Fear zePresident in 1.1
                    Can't be worse than my ex-wife ... I'll take my chances.

Long live zePresident ... 8-}

I actually have a whole game idea that is going to use this entire set and I might only change the textures ... see how it pans out once I get the kit.
                    Quinton Delpeche
                    Founder - Gobbo Games | Designer - The Colony 2174 (Board Game) | Developer - Riders of Asgard

Comment

Just bought it, because i like your work. Needed moving textures (some pipeflow), great ressource to learn from
                      Very personal way to build collisionboxes for some objects.
                      Edit: Really great stuff. Your Holomaterials are very cool and good commented.
                      Your Holomaterial and the seperation of the colors, to accomplish the movement is so nice and easy editable.

Happy Buyer
                      Last edited by Luftbauch; 05-17-2015, 08:34 AM.
                      My small game on IndieDB ****** Beams on Twitter ****** Beams on Steam ****** VideoStuff ****** PictureStuff
                      UE brings Math back into my life or i am not sure.

Comment

I see 4.7/4.8 now, I install 4.7 on a folder, COPY/PASTE the SuperGrid folder from Content to UnrealTournament Content folder? I still got the same error, I bet they are something I need to do differently?

Thanks!
                        Last edited by labidus; 05-17-2015, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Hi El Presidente,
                          some weirdoquestions ahead, from an amateur.
                          About M_Utility_Demo_Float: When i drag SG_Cone in map and Apply M_Utility_Demo_Float, the cone is floating.
                          When i drag (for example) SG_Box / SG_Hex (Mesh) into map and apply same material, it start only to float, after uniform scale +/- for me.

When i stand up on a floating cube with same material, i get black flickering onto mat/text, player position is not updatet, along the collisionbox (not floating). Texturediving.

About Material editing T_Basic_Grid: I tried to archieve some pipeflow effect with the SG_Meshes, and when i swap the textures with red dots it flows in one axis direction. When i apply green dots, it follows another axis, along mesh.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	sg.png
Views:	1
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	1076603
                          Is it right, to control the aligment of textureshifting, inside the material editor"M_SuperGrid_Holo***, "Generate UV for small and big grids"-"PatternX"-"PatternY"?
                          I do not really understand, how this channelsplitting works, tried many seamless patterns, looking good, but never like expected.

Greetings
                          My small game on IndieDB ****** Beams on Twitter ****** Beams on Steam ****** VideoStuff ****** PictureStuff

Comment

Originally posted by qdelpeche View Post
                            Can't be worse than my ex-wife ... I'll take my chances.

Long live zePresident ... 8-}

I actually have a whole game idea that is going to use this entire set and I might only change the textures ... see how it pans out once I get the kit.
                            I could use your ex as a prototype... But better not
                            Can't wait to see! ^o^

Originally posted by labidus View Post
                            I see 4.7/4.8 now, I install 4.7 on a folder, COPY/PASTE the SuperGrid folder from Content to UnrealTournament Content folder? I still got the same error, I bet they are something I need to do differently?

Thanks!
                            Hey Labidus, it's not live yet :<
                            I think you will get notification to update SuperGrid in Launcher whenever it goes live.
                            It's 5 am in Raleigh so we have to wait a little bit more

Originally posted by Luftbauch View Post
                            Just bought it, because i like your work. Needed moving textures (some pipeflow), great ressource to learn from
                            Very personal way to build collisionboxes for some objects.
                            Edit: Really great stuff. Your Holomaterials are very cool and good commented.

Happy Buyer
                            Hello there, Luftbauch!
                            Thanks, I'm glad you liked it!

Comment

Hi El Presidente,
                              some weirdoquestions ahead, from an amateur.
                              About M_Utility_Demo_Float: When i drag SG_Cone in map and Apply M_Utility_Demo_Float, the cone is floating.
                              When i drag (for example) SG_Box / SG_Hex (Mesh) into map and apply same material, it start only to float, after uniform scale +/- for me.
                              Greetings, User!
                              Indeed, there is a problem in the way how floating is calculated and it will be fixed in 1.0.2

I've been using Frac that outputs decimal part of Object position / 0.2 from Divide node to set random max height of floating. So, if you use snapping for object movement then your Object position is an integer that does not have decimal part from dividing by 0.2 and you had to move/scale/rotate object a little bit to get it working. To fix it - simply change 0.2 from Divide node to 0.164231 or any similar value!

When i stand up on a floating cube with same material, i get black flickering onto mat/text, player position is not updatet, along the collisionbox (not floating). Texturediving.
                              It is the main drawback of such vertex animation - it's only visual, without any logic applied. However it's muuuch cheaper than any other animation so it's great tool to use on objects which player can't access, but could see!
                              About Material editing T_Basic_Grid: I tried to archieve some pipeflow effect with the SG_Meshes, and when i swap the textures with red dots it flows in one axis direction. When i apply green dots, it follows another axis, along mesh.
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]39932[/ATTACH]
                              Your Holomaterial and the seperation of the colors, to accomplish the movement is so nice and easy editable.

Is it right, to control the aligment of textureshifting, inside the material editor"M_SuperGrid_Holo***, "Generate UV for small and big grids"-"PatternX"-"PatternY"?
                              I do not really understand, how this channelsplitting works, tried many seamless patterns, looking good, but never like expected.
                              Actually it is simpler than you thought, but I like your idea much more than current implementation and will try to add this in new versions of the pack!

These panners are doing all the job and you could change speed for X/Y in their settings. As you can see - it's impossible to access this values directly, so I will recreate panner node with ability to use texture masks to move stuff.

Comment

Ty for your kind words El Presidente,
                                I am total sucked into these materials like a cottonwool ball into a tornado.
                                I made a window segment with blender (no "overlapping" when you see it from outside), for wall-BP-window and it works nice, but can you tell me please how to align them centered onto these small bars?
                                Is there a magic option inside the blueprint, before i try to rearrange all origins?
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	center.png
Views:	1
Size:	454.0 KB
ID:	1076605
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X