This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RenderingFiend View Post
    1) Apparently content creators can delete negative reviews. This should not be allowed, unless it's some violation of Terms of Service, and it should be Epic that removes the negative review, NOT the content creator. It makes no sense that people can delete bad product reviews, obviously this will be abused.
    No. Content creators can't remove reviews. Any user can flag a review, but only marketplace staff can actually remove those.
    [Marketplace] Loading Screen System (ᴘʀᴏᴘᴇʀ ʟᴏᴀᴅɪɴɢ sᴄʀᴇᴇɴs, ɴᴏᴡ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴘʀᴏɢʀᴇss ʙᴀʀs)
    [Free][Script] Automate Download of Mixamo Animations
    [VłĐɆØ] Performance: BP vs C++ vs Blueprint Nativization

Comment

Originally posted by Cpt.Trips View Post

No. Content creators can't remove reviews. Any user can flag a review, but only marketplace staff can actually remove those.
      Phew, good to know. I misunderstood a different post, thanks for clarifying.

Comment

Originally posted by RenderingFiend View Post
        As it currently stands I'm not willing to buy anything again on the Marketplace
        I've made a number of purchases that ended up being less than ideal because they used too much or too little of whatever rendering feature, and couldn't be made to blend with my overall scene. There's lots of "shrubs" and "grass" and "open landscape" products, but they don't really blend with each other at all, assuming vastly different lighting setups, and I'm too lazy to edit every shader to try to make it work better. (There's a reason I pay for things on the marketplace ...)

Just like there's an "Epic Skeleton," it would be great if there was an "Epic outdoor lighting setup" that content could be tuned/measured/screen-shotted with, and perhaps also an "Epic indoor lighting setup" for different kinds of assets. Use whatever you want for your hero scene, but show screen shots of the items under a known lighting setup against a known backdrop!

That being said, I'm not terribly sad, because each of the purchases is measured in "dozens" of dollars. I'm not going to get an artist to make me custom art for that price -- the going rate for outsourcing is $30-$60 per hour AFAICT, and there's a lot of chaff on the outsourcing market that can easily waste all your money on training up their new hires.

Comment

Originally posted by jwatte View Post
          Just like there's an "Epic Skeleton," it would be great if there was an "Epic outdoor lighting setup" that content could be tuned/measured/screen-shotted with, [...] show screen shots of the items under a known lighting setup against a known backdrop!
          They seem to even have gone back one step on that.
          There used to be a required "Overview" map which had explicit lighting setup instructions and was required to be featured in product page screenshots:

Originally posted by Deprecated Marketplace Guidelines
          Overview Map
          All Assets packs must contain an overview map that lays out the content included in the package.

Overview Map
          An overview map is a screenshot of all the contents of a submission on a grid in UE4, spaced out to show how many individual pieces there are, and their relative scale. This is an extremely useful visual aid for assets that are modular, because it makes it easier to understand how many pieces there are and how they can fit together.

People make purchasing decisions based on this. Providing an Overview Map is a requirement. These are the settings for creating a proper Overview Map:
          ⦁ Atmospheric Fog removed
          ⦁ Light Source set to 5.0 intensity
          ⦁ Skylight added
          ⦁ Reflection capture added
          ⦁ Cloud Opacity set to 0
          ⦁ Assets are evenly spaced out no z-fighting with the ground
          ⦁ BSP bases use the default grid, with MI_Template_BaseGray_03_Metal on the sides
          ⦁ BSP Bases have lightmap resolution set to 8
          ⦁ Press “Play” to make sure lighting has been built
          ⦁ All materials have textures
          ⦁ No default textures are shown on any assets

This was the case in old submission guidelines[^], however, as far as I can tell, there is no mention of it anywhere in the correct guidelines[^] for some reason.
          [Marketplace] Loading Screen System (ᴘʀᴏᴘᴇʀ ʟᴏᴀᴅɪɴɢ sᴄʀᴇᴇɴs, ɴᴏᴡ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴘʀᴏɢʀᴇss ʙᴀʀs)
          [Free][Script] Automate Download of Mixamo Animations
          [VłĐɆØ] Performance: BP vs C++ vs Blueprint Nativization

Comment

Originally posted by Cpt.Trips View Post

Quite often negative reviews are of little value, unfortunately. They're almost always fundamentally wrong about something and don't add any value to the review of the product. A nice, well-thought-out criticism is always welcome because that gives you a path to improve the asset, but stuff like "RIP OFFF DIS GUY IZ SCAM DSOESNT WOKR" seems to be the bulk of negative reviews.

Comment

They probably realize that a marketplace will work better with "more stuff" even if it's "more lower quality stuff."
              If you want high quality, you will pay $50k to an outsourcing house to have your NPC character or building scene built.
              Let the reviews and the marketplace sort it out!

Kind of like how there are 38 different microbrews in the beer aisle, 36of which are just yet another set of over-bitter IPAs.
              Volume sells, on its own!

Comment

I would REALLY like it if there was some way to filter the marketplace to show me only things I DO NOT OWN. It would be really nice when you are searching for new things to NOT see the stuff you already own in that list. It's particularly true for the free content. There's 20 pages of that and I have a lot of it already, so when I want to check for new stuff or just stuff I could use but haven't bought yet, a feature like "filter by not owned" would be real handy.

Comment

They probably realize that a marketplace will work better with "more stuff" even if it's "more lower quality stuff."
                  Yeah, this is how some marketplace sellers see things too sadly... Just one example here...

Kind of like how there are 38 different microbrews in the beer aisle, 36of which are just yet another set of over-bitter IPAs.
                  Volume sells, on its own!
                  Close to the line there dude. There are no bad IPA's, just bland lagers from megacorps.

Originally posted by Greg.Corson View Post
                  I would REALLY like it if there was some way to filter the marketplace to show me only things I DO NOT OWN. It would be really nice when you are searching for new things to NOT see the stuff you already own in that list. It's particularly true for the free content. There's 20 pages of that and I have a lot of it already, so when I want to check for new stuff or just stuff I could use but haven't bought yet, a feature like "filter by not owned" would be real handy.
                  It'd be great to be able to hide packs that are of no interest as well (to reduce the bloat).
                  Last edited by EntrpriseCustomr; 07-19-2020, 09:24 PM.

Comment

There are no bad IPA's, just bland lagers from megacorps
                    Megacorps don't make lagers, they make ... yellow carbonated beverage?
                    Anyway: porter and stout for the win :-)

Speaking of which: Why isn't there a "beer variety pack" on the Marketplace?
                    There's just some wine bottles, and ... a cooler full of toilet paper?

Comment

I'm not sure if that "negative reviews tend to be useless remark" was aimed at me, but if it was, I don't disagree that there are a lot of people that tend to complain about assets when in reality it's their own fault for not realizing asset did not do X feature before buying.
                      Luckily Epic handles the reviews, and if someone gives a stupid review that damages your reputation than tell them. For people with legit problems where assets are not as described, or are misrepresented however, which definitely does happen, negative reviews can be necessary.

I guess the point is that if someone is making content for the Marketplace and can't handle some negative reviews and constructive criticism, then that's your problem for not having thicker skin. It happens to everyone in this industry.

As for the idea that if I don't buy off the marketplace I'm looking at spending $50k+ for assets: give me a break. I realize that may be the case for some bigger projects and studios, but you don't know my background, and for your information I have quite a bit of experience in game dev, and know that I can definitely get higher quality assets that will not cost me thousands. Curb your arrogance please.

UE4 is easy enough to work with that it tends to attract many people who can create content but don't even understand why/how it works. That's my main problem with UE4, in a way I wish it didn't have Blueprints and C++ was a requirement, it would keep the novices away from giving dumb advice and creating garbage.
                      This circles around to my main issue with the marketplace: people create and sell content on there, and then you load up the project and it becomes obvious that although the person managed to create a working asset, in terms of their game engine knowledge, it's non-existent. Poor/no optimization, complete lack of understanding of how Physically Based Rendering works, keeping ALU count in materials down, etc.

Comment

I don't know if anyone ever read this but... it would be really good to have some way of marking favorites on the market.

There's so much on there now, it's basically impossible to sift through sales when they happen.

It could be a 'login for a better experience' sort of thing.

When you like something, mark it, and when the sales come, you could get an email telling you which of your favorites are on sale...

Just an idea

Comment

ClockworkOcean we currently do not have anything we can share on any new Marketplace features; but in the meantime, this does exist: https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...259401000a2617

Comment

Originally posted by TJ V View Post
                            ClockworkOcean we currently do not have anything we can share on any new Marketplace features; but in the meantime, this does exist: https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...259401000a2617
                            Ok, cheers!

Did not know about that at all...

Comment

Working...
                            X