Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100% agree on introductory pricing. Currently we can't launch on sale, it has to exist for at least a couple of weeks. This punishes your earliest users. That said, you can just increase the price after two weeks and mention the special deal in your description.

Comment

Just give up man, we're about to turn into 4 or 5 years waiting for improvements.
      | Finite State Machine | Auto-Save Plugin | USQLite Plugin | Object-Pool | Sound-Occlusion | Property Transfer Tool | Magic Nodes | Magic Nodes | Persistent Materials |

Comment

The marketplace has only been around for five years and it's been significantly improved in that time. We're probably on about month nine since the last obvious update though.

I think we're actually a hedged bet in the event Epic has to go back a few steps in its product strategy. If Fortnite were to suddenly die off (as happens to games frequently once they stop being flavour of the year) then it's back to pushing Unreal Engine and a rich, vibrant marketplace. 5% of the next huge gaming craze is still pretty good.
        Last edited by Antidamage; 02-13-2019, 09:56 AM.

Comment

I fail to see little gadgets as "improvement".
          I see improvement as investment to make the ecosystem grow, if that investment is happening I can't see it.
          | Finite State Machine | Auto-Save Plugin | USQLite Plugin | Object-Pool | Sound-Occlusion | Property Transfer Tool | Magic Nodes | Magic Nodes | Persistent Materials |

Comment

I edited my reply, it kind of answers that too. I think we're in a holding pattern.

Comment

Yeah but the plan B is the game store and the engine offer as a multimedia toolset for industrial engineering and movies/Tv production.

The marketplace isn't part of the plan at all, it's just a nice-to-have.

Comment

Different verticals are not mutually exclusive. PUBG is an example of a game filled with third party assets that generated a solid return for Epic. Hard not to plan for repeating the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by BrUnO XaVIeR View Post
                  The marketplace isn't part of the plan at all, it's just a nice-to-have.
                  I incline to agree with your statement, as this reasonably explains certain things. Yes, the marketplace right now is not in the grand scheme of Epic's things, and to some extent it is understandable. Realistically, however, we cannot have the pretention of being in the same league, financially and exposure-wise, as AAA titles which employ the Unreal engine and cater to huge masses of public. It is natural that resources and strategies are poured into what makes most revenue and puts the Unreal brand out there. At least that's how I perceive things at the moment.

I think it would be wise to keep evolving ourselves as craftsmen, improve our products as much as we can, have ourselves healthy business models and become more numerous, and eventually changes will come in time as the marketplace expands. As with everything in life, we have to work to achieve what we want. Nothing ever happens over night.

I did a simple calculation to gauge the size of the Unreal Marketplace, these are ballpark figures as I took the number of products per page and multiplied with the number of pages both regarding total assets and individual categories, here's the breakdown (as of February 2019):

Unreal Marketplace total assets 7075 (25 products x 283 pages)

2D assets = 250 (25 x 10)
                  Architectural Visualizations = 250 (25 x 10)
                  Characters = 875 (25 x 35)
                  Community samples = 3
                  Visual Effects = 225 (25 x 9)
                  Music = 700 (25 x 28 )
                  Epic Showcase = 75 (25 x 3)
                  Textures = 125 (25 x 5)
                  Animations = 125 (25 x 5)
                  Blueprints = 900 (25 x 36)
                  Code plugins = 425 (25 x 17)
                  Environments = 800 (25 x 32)
                  Materials = 425 (25 x 17)
                  Props = 1250 (25 x 50)
                  Sound Effects = 600 (25 x 24)
                  Weapons = 225 (25 x 9)

I will restate, the numbers aren't precise, but are close enough to a realistic approximation. 7000 assets, assuming each creator has an average of 7 assets, that's around 1000 marketplace creators. From my experience with other marketplaces (unrelated to gaming), they contain catalogues of hundreds of thousands (sometimes close to a million) of products and tens of thousands of creators, just for reference. But that's because the marketplace itself IS their business, unlike Epic which has its business well-spread into multiple branches.

If we'd been thousands and the products would've been in the tens of thousands range, I tend to believe that Epic would invest more resources in the marketplace itself. And it will happen eventually, it is only a matter of growth over time in my view. Also, enjoy the lack of saturation, it's great while it lasts.

Comment

ResonantInfinity I think your numbers are quite accurate! Except for the number of creators, which is much higher. Many creators do not have 7 products.

I found a blog post on the unrealengine.com site: https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/b...-revenue-share Its dated juli 11 2018 and they share the following numbers:

1500 marketplace creators offering 5000 products. (juli 2018 ! )

They also state that between 2014 and 2018 there have been 8 million downloads. I'm not sure if these are sells or each download counted? And free items ensures a massive increase of downloads.
                    Lets Measure It
                    Blueprints to measure distances, area's, circumferences and routes/paths. Check out the marketplace: https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...ets-measure-it

Comment

Martin Bean Enlightening article, thanks for sharing!

Originally posted by Martin Bean View Post
                      ResonantInfinity Many creators do not have 7 products.
                      Then we'd better get more productive as that's at best a ratio of 1:4.

Comment

bug in Reports Sales, The number of copies sold is displayed incorrectly.

My Plugin for Instance ISMC and HIMS https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...nstance-editor

Comment

Originally posted by Evgeniy Babush View Post
                          You show us a sale in march, then change the month to february when u did not have a sale, which is correct. I'm not sure what your problem is
                          My Assets
                          https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/profile/Gabeee

Consider supporting me on Patreon or Paypal

Comment

Originally posted by Evgeniy Babush View Post
                            Hi Evgeniy Babush The Marketplace uses a US date format of MM-DD-YYYY. The date showing 03-02-2019 refers to March 2, 2019. If you change the date range to March or Month 3, you'll see the sale there. Hope this helps! Please email us with any other questions - marketplace-support@unrealengine.com

Comment

This could have an added benefit of additional sales revenue for content creators as less people will miss out on a sale if they plan ahead (wishlist item sale notifications could be the net step)

Comment

Save as Draft needed (even if the full form is not completed) in case upload fails or web browser sticks. It's happened a couple times on chrome so far.
                                https://unrealengine.com/marketplace.../robert+ramsay

Comment

Working...
                                X