This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I am a bit curious about the trello voting. What is the threshold for 'fast tracking' items to the marketplace?
    For example, this one: advanced-dissolve-fx has 100 votes and has been on the trello for 4 weeks; yet it still hasn't been approved (it will need to wait the entire month? And then wait until it gets slotted into a release week?)
    Now that files are required to be submitted for QA by EPIC before even reaching the trello, why have the trello at all? If assets are deemed of high enough quality by EPIC internal why wait any longer?
    You mentioned 27 assets passed the internal QA bar you've set. If we continue the pace of about 5 assets per week some of that stuff won't see the light of day until the middle of May even though it is ready NOW.

I guess what I am saying is I can not think of any legitimate reason for the wait. I'm sure the majority of users don't even know about the trello voting. I know epic wants to grow into a big marketplace like Unity Asset Store, but wants it to be of higher quality (justifiably so). The internal QA check by EPIC filters this to ensure quality so I think it is time to open up the flood gates Jon. If we limit ourselves to about 5 assets a week making the marketplace, we're limiting content creators, content consumers, and UE4 projects in general.
    Last edited by Osok; 04-09-2015, 10:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    That is quite a lot of submissions. Thanks for keeping us up to date. =)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I appreciate the transparency Jon; you and your team continue to impress.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Also, FYI -- we just finished our submission content review, and I just requested files for 27 new submissions that passed our quality bar to take into our internal QA, and then [hopefully!] to Trello for voting. There is a *lot* going on behind the scenes and a ton of cool stuff coming!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post
    Please add bitcoin as receiving-payment option It's the most cheap one regarding fees...
    Ah, Bitcoin! I'm personally a huge fan of Bitcoin, follow it closely, and regularly buy into it. If I had my way, I think it would be great to eventually offer support for it. However, in the near term I don't think the payment processing technology or general technological understanding of how Bitcoin works could make that worthwhile. Waiting ten minutes for the purchase confirmation would be the first dealbreaker if you're expecting something instantly, and price fluctuations would be the second dealbreaker. From my end of it, I see both of those turning into a very large number of customer support requests\refunds\complaints that would soak up a lot of time for a lot of people.

Also, the first draft of Bitcoin regulations coming out of New York right now would also require an unbelievable amount of recordkeeping (enough personal information to get a mortgage, your fingerprints, kept on file and retained for 10 years for every business accepting Bitcoin). Since Epic does business globally and every region is still figuring out what to even do with Bitcoin and whether\how to regulate it, the burden of constantly-changing global compliance would be immense. There just isn't enough upside to justify asking for it right now. :/

All that being said, I frequently end meetings with the finance department by jokingly asking for Bitcoin support just to see how they react.

Originally posted by Osok View Post
    I would like to see sales reports sent to the sellers sooner than approximately 45 days after the end of a sales period.

I understand if the wire transfers must happen approximately 45 days after the sales period (international things), but the reports would be nice to get earlier.
    I understand. This is something we're working on, and have regular meetings to speed up and clarify. We're actively developing a seller's portal to open up this information as well, and to publish more frequent sales reports. It's one of our top requests and one of my top priorities to put in place.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I would like to see sales reports sent to the sellers sooner than approximately 45 days after the end of a sales period.

I understand if the wire transfers must happen approximately 45 days after the sales period (international things), but the reports would be nice to get earlier.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Please add bitcoin as receiving-payment option It's the most cheap one regarding fees...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It's so awesome to see feedback implemented so quickly! Keep up the good work!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi all! Will reply to the latest comments in detail a bit later, but I'm prepping today's release and wanted to push out two little process improvements:

* Whenever we update the public Trello with next week's release, we're going to notify the submitters immediately that it's been scheduled and ask for any video, screenshot, description, or content updates. I realized we could be doing a better job of letting everyone know exactly when a pack's going to be released, and I don't think it should be a surprise. It also gives them advance time to start advertising and building up buzz in advance of the release. So those emails will start going out tomorrow or Friday.

* Now that we've gotten three weeks of releases roughly planned out internally (pending QA and other considerations), I'm not planning out any beyond that. Instead, I'm adding each new content pack to the next coming release as they become ready, so each release will get bigger and everything will come out sooner, just like you all said you wanted.

Responses to specific posts coming soon once I'm done with today's blog post. I just wanted to let you know I'm still here, still reading, and still improving the Marketplace!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    That was quick, thanks Smarkoff!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by SE_JonF View Post
    Just a thought, but maybe this thread should be sticky so it won't be lost in the sea of marketplace threads? The more people that see and submit feedback here the better. =)
    Good idea! Done!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Just a thought, but maybe this thread should be sticky so it won't be lost in the sea of marketplace threads? The more people that see and submit feedback here the better. =)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think the ultimate solution for automating the marketplace and increasing the quantity of items should be simple:

Let the wallets be the judges

This could be achieved by:

A) Deep filters for categories: like Environments / Buildings / Houses / Medieval / Low Poly
    This could be achieved by check boxes in each category, like in filters. A filter combination of House, Medieval and Sci-Fi may seem weird, but who knows if a Final Fantasy-style castle will pop up?

B) Let more items in the marketplace.

C) Set a combination of sales cap and a maximum quantity of items per category.
    For example, only items that after some time makes a certain amount of money, or only 100 items in a certain unique category.

D) Set an uniform price policy among similar items, so that is price fairness across the marketplace.

E) Let the rating systems as is.

The problem with the current system is:

A) It is slow.

B) Very few items.

C) Scarce categorization

D) The staff that chooses items for voting are not the ones that will choose to use it.

E) The users that vote for it may or may not be the ones that will buy it.

For those that feel this could crowd the marketplace with meh items, as subjective as good and bad is, the sales cap and maximum quantity of items in an unique category should naturally take care of that, as what one may think won't sell may actually do, and what they think will may not.
    Last edited by radt; 03-31-2015, 05:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    thanks! couldn't find this link via google search

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by protegedev View Post
    I like to be able to access the marketplace without unreal, when I'm traveling or without the UE4, I cannot go into the store.
    https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace

Leave a comment:

Working...
X