This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Hi Phil! Definitely let me know if you have issues viewing screenshots on the web Marketplace. I'd like to troubleshoot and fix that if so.

Thanks for the feedback! Screenshots are hugely important and I'd like to eventually create a better guide describing what to show, explain, and convey so buyers can make more informed decisions. We're already catching errors like you mentioned since our internal QA reviews files before the public Trello board, which has been neat.

Interesting! Are incorrectly-oriented assets something you've run into a lot with Marketplace content?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey Jon,

Just wanted to say that my image issue above WAS with the web marketplace. Probably just a glitch I guess. I'll have a look later and refresh my browser, see if that fixes it. It did seem odd

Also the preview: Yeah, you could generate a thumbnail image for each fbx asset, a small image for each texture/material etc. Basically let me know exactly what I'm getting art wise. Are the polycounts sane? is the UV layout something I could live with? Are the texture counts OK etc? I say this because I've purchased enough assets from various stores to know that for the most part these submissions almost ALWAYS need work. Collisions are off, textures are missing (i.e. you might have normal but not rough/metal), polycounts are ridiculous or whatever.

I guess I'm kind of touchy about it, because a screenshot can look great when its staged and done as a beauty shot. But then putting it in game ends up a pain in the

Oh yeah! one final note. Models should be setup properly down the +ve X as "front". I know again you CAN change this in the engine and all. But its just another little bit of work that should be done at the creator end.
    Last edited by zoombapup; 03-13-2015, 01:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Allar View Post
    Awww yeah Jon Jones. Love all the above. And meeting you in person.

Also, who spread that Tim Sweeney tidbit?
    haha thanks man, likewise!

And that's no bother. I wouldn't tell people anything I wasn't allowed to say. I know how this stuff works.

Originally posted by YannickLange View Post
    I have to mention that I would like C++ plugin support in the marketplace.
    I'm happy to say that this is planned and in the works! I don't have an ETA on it, but this is very important to us (and me especially!) and there's a lot of interest in this. I've been building a case for this and lining up potential partners to support this ever since I started at Epic.

Originally posted by CollinBishop View Post
    Jon,

Thank you for the swift reply. Might be a record for any forum I have been a part of.
    Thanks man, I'm happy to oblige! I'm actually pretty amused that me saying that came back that quickly, but mostly I'm glad it wasn't me saying something dumb or regrettable.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Jon,

Thank you for the swift reply. Might be a record for any forum I have been a part of.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I have to mention that I would like C++ plugin support in the marketplace.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Awww yeah Jon Jones. Love all the above. And meeting you in person.

Also, who spread that Tim Sweeney tidbit?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thank you, Collin!

When I first joined up with Epic in December, yes, Tim Sweeney would be in on every week's Marketplace content release. I didn't realize that was the case when I was in the first meeting, so imagine my surprise to see him walk in! Sit up straight, don't spill coffee, don't say anything stupid, because I'm sitting across from THE Tim Sweeney! I'll be honest, it was a bit of a fanboy moment. So yes, the Marketplace is a very high priority at Epic, and Tim is not the only high-level exec that's directly involved in the Marketplace that's reviewing content going into it and establishing the vision moving forward.

In the lead-up to GDC and UE4 going free Epic's been incredibly busy so not everyone can make every Marketplace content review (one executive review every week, and two team reviews per week) but the Big Guns are definitely involved, paying attention, and are genuinely invested and interested in the Marketplace growing and thriving. It's really been astounding to join up with Epic and see all of this first hand. I can't wait to show everyone all the cool things going on in the coming months.

You're all important.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Oh yea, it was awesome!

/offtopic.

Ontopic: so.. about that cave package

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Jon,

I was wondering as far as the posting of marketplace content. I heard from several others stating that you informed them at GDC that Tim Sweeney personally certifies the content submissions to be active on the marketplace. Honestly I did not believe he would oversee content approval to that measure but I figure asking you directly and outright on this thread may cut to the chase and inform me if it actually is the case. I just never figured the head of Epic to be involved to that level. Thank you for your time and you all are doing an excellent job at Epic with the updating and community support.

best

Collin Bishop
    Last edited by CollinBishop; 03-12-2015, 09:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks dude, I appreciate that! Trust me, I'll be keeping this in mind.

Also, it was a pleasure meeting you at GDC! That Epic \ CCP party was something.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Great work Jon!
    Keep up the good work

Your efford goes both ways, if you need our help just ask.
    As you are here for us, we are here for you!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey Phil!

Originally posted by zoombapup View Post
    As a buyer of marketplace content, can I suggest a few things:

1) You need WAAAY more than the 1 screenshot you currently have. For different types of content you need different things. For example for art, I want to see the the assets in a few different views. I want material and vertex/poly counts. I'd like to see how the UV sheets look and also the collisions involved. This ideally would be per asset from an asset list (i.e. click an asset get a preview of it).
    Which assets appear to have only one screenshot? Everything on the Marketplace has 4 - 6 screenshots for each pack, from multiple angles, including an overview shot showing all the item's assets on a grid. I'm wondering if this might be a launcher or web Marketplace glitch.

Good points on the vert/poly counts, UVs and collisions. I'd like to revamp how we use screenshots.

1a) Further to that, we need a preview mode of every asset type.
    Like a web player or something liek it?

2) I want stuff standardized as much as possible. So characters should work with Epic skeleton without retargetting. Animations too. Modular assets should be scaled against the same skeleton so that you can drop an Epic guy straight in there and have it feel in scale.
    Agreed. We're pushing out a minor update very soon to the Epic skeleton that's going to be the new target for everything, but most of the animations on the Marketplace are already rigged to the Epic skeleton. Good call on the modular assets as well.

3) Music files should have a preview player that plays them. The music itself can have an audio watermark applied.
    Great idea. I'm talking with the web team about what our options are for embeddable content. I don't have an ETA on this yet, but it's one of the things I want most alongside better sales reporting tools.

4) Any image types can have a marketplace watermark as long as its not too obtrusive.
    That hadn't actually occurred to me. I'd rather err on the side of letting people unobtrusively watermark their own images instead of putting Epic's brand on it, but I'm open to suggestions.

5) Weapons should work out of the box with a standardised FPS setup. Currently shootergame is a bit **** for that with the way its setup, but I think its about time we got an updated shootergame anyway. So kill two birds with one stone and update it a bit and produce a standardized setup for marketplace use (similar to how the Epic guy requirement for characters works).
    I'll check into this and find out what our internal plans are for getting these updated. I really would like to have a more standardized method of integrating weapons.

6) Here's a controversial one. Epic needs to go through the examples (shootergame et al) and update them to match the marketplace guidelines. My point here is that for this to work, you have to have things just drop in, so no special get out clauses for Epic or Mixamo or whatever).
    Oho! Excellent suggestion. I'll find out what our internal plans are for updating the examples, because yes, we should be consistent.

7) Modular assets should all have the pivot points setup properly (would be useful to show the pivots in the preview of the asset too).
    Excellent! I'll add that as a QA checklist item when we review files. Since we request files before the public Trello now, we'll be able to identify and fix problems days to weeks earlier than before. Since yesterday alone I've put out something like 35 - 40 requests for files to QA internally, and I have dozens more to go tonight and tomorrow.

I know its fair to expect people to have to do some work to get this stuff working, but if you want to decrease the pain of working with marketplace content and make it a smoother experience, there's my contribution. Good Luck!
    That was fantastic feedback. I really appreciate it, and I'll do what I can to push these things forward.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    As a buyer of marketplace content, can I suggest a few things:

1) You need WAAAY more than the 1 screenshot you currently have. For different types of content you need different things. For example for art, I want to see the the assets in a few different views. I want material and vertex/poly counts. I'd like to see how the UV sheets look and also the collisions involved. This ideally would be per asset from an asset list (i.e. click an asset get a preview of it).

1a) Further to that, we need a preview mode of every asset type.

2) I want stuff standardized as much as possible. So characters should work with Epic skeleton without retargetting. Animations too. Modular assets should be scaled against the same skeleton so that you can drop an Epic guy straight in there and have it feel in scale.

3) Music files should have a preview player that plays them. The music itself can have an audio watermark applied.

4) Any image types can have a marketplace watermark as long as its not too obtrusive.

5) Weapons should work out of the box with a standardised FPS setup. Currently shootergame is a bit **** for that with the way its setup, but I think its about time we got an updated shootergame anyway. So kill two birds with one stone and update it a bit and produce a standardized setup for marketplace use (similar to how the Epic guy requirement for characters works).

6) Here's a controversial one. Epic needs to go through the examples (shootergame et al) and update them to match the marketplace guidelines. My point here is that for this to work, you have to have things just drop in, so no special get out clauses for Epic or Mixamo or whatever).

7) Modular assets should all have the pivot points setup properly (would be useful to show the pivots in the preview of the asset too).

I know its fair to expect people to have to do some work to get this stuff working, but if you want to decrease the pain of working with marketplace content and make it a smoother experience, there's my contribution. Good Luck!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This is awesome Jon, keep up the good work!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Another submission and voting process improvement!

Hi all! Quick note -- we're going through our first batch of assets that we fully QA and test before the Trello, and we're posting them now.

Important bit: I've added a new bright green label called "Marketplace QA Tested" to the cards. From now on, when you see that, you'll know that we've taken the files, tested them for usability and technical errors, worked with the submitter to fix them (if necessary), and feel confident to put them on the public boards for voting. Then if they get voted on very quickly, we already have the files and can publish much more quickly!

It'll take a few weeks to run everything through this cycle, but I think everyone here will really benefit from the increased quality, scrutiny, and speed.

Anyway, I wanted to let you know what we just did because I'm excited about it. Back to the submission queue!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X