X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Hi Jon.
    I posted in the FAQ thread a while back, but it seems that thread is dead. Could you address my questions there?
    Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Jon Jones View Post
    Thank you for the suggestion! I'll talk to the dev team to see if we can find a more elegant solution to Blueprints than we currently have. I think this could *probably* work with a mild limitation or two. More on that in a moment.

To explain a bit of how this works, we're very particular about file structure, because the back-end tools we have that processes Marketplace submissions, 'chunks' them, then delivers them to our content delivery network requires an extremely specific file and folder structure, and any files or folders outside of that structure is automatically removed from the submission as it's being processed. That limits us a lot in what we can do. However, I think what you suggested could work with a tweak. Here's the documentation we have on the file and folder structure we currently support:

So if the way you described is how you want to structure it, you could have Content -> EasyGame -> System, but you'd still need to have the .uproject and config file, and it couldn't be simply EasyGame -> System.

I'll talk to the team about this. Thank you!
    Hello Jon, thanks for discussing this with the team! As Kashaar mentions, the main thing is that there's no references to the examples from the system dir. This'll be really easy for QA to test too, migrate the system dir, if anything from the examples folder shows up in the migration dialog then it's a fail.

Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Defuse Studios View Post
    Would the new seller portal apply to packs that are on the marketplace or just for packs submitted after the portal realise?
    It will apply to everything currently on the Marketplace. I was actually just talking to the team to clarify the migration plans about 15 minutes before you asked.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Would the new seller portal apply to packs that are on the marketplace or just for packs submitted after the portal realise?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Kashaar View Post
    I think the important part is that example content is easy to remove by simply deleting a folder, and that nothing in the main "system"folder structure depends on anything in the "examples" folder.
    Ah, gotcha! That's pretty slick. I like it. Will talk to team.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think the important part is that example content is easy to remove by simply deleting a folder, and that nothing in the main "system"folder structure depends on anything in the "examples" folder.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by MajorFailure View Post
    Hello,

I have a suggestion for the Blueprint assets on the Marketplace regarding how cleanly their core systems can be migrated to our projects. I've bought several recently and I've had some difficulty in bringing them into my projects without their associated example and demo files.

I'd like to suggest that Blueprint submissions need to follow a simple folder structure, e.g:

EasyGameCreator
    ........System
    ........Examples

With this structure I should be able to right click on the "System" folder and when I choose "Migrate..." I should just get the core files for the asset copied to my project, and nothing from the Examples folder, so this would give me EasyGameCreator/System in my projects.

I'd just like to say that I've been really impressed with all the blueprint assets I've bought, the developers I've contacted have all been really quick to reply and helpful, whether here on the forums or privately.

One thing that really amazes me though is just how insanely cheap they are, I bought a system yesterday for less than the cost of a packet of cigarettes that would have taken me weeks/months of work to design, code and test! The most expensive one I've bought would've still been a bargain at double the price. I really hope that the model of selling a lot cheaply works well for these asset creators.

Cheers!
    Thank you for the suggestion! I'll talk to the dev team to see if we can find a more elegant solution to Blueprints than we currently have. I think this could *probably* work with a mild limitation or two. More on that in a moment.

To explain a bit of how this works, we're very particular about file structure, because the back-end tools we have that processes Marketplace submissions, 'chunks' them, then delivers them to our content delivery network requires an extremely specific file and folder structure, and any files or folders outside of that structure is automatically removed from the submission as it's being processed. That limits us a lot in what we can do. However, I think what you suggested could work with a tweak. Here's the documentation we have on the file and folder structure we currently support:

When you open your project in UE4 the first folder needs to be named your project. Example = XXX

All of your project content should reside within this folder, and the reason for this is when a user purchases your content from the marketplace and adds it to another project it is contained within that folder in the project.

So it should look like this in windows:

XXX (main project folder)
    - Config (folder)
    - Content (folder)
    XXX[Nospaces].uproject (file)

Within your "Content" folder should be another folder named "XXX", and within that should be all of your project files and folders.

So in the Content folder it should look like this:

Content (folder)
    - XXX (your project folder)
    - (all project folders here)
    So if the way you described is how you want to structure it, you could have Content -> EasyGame -> System, but you'd still need to have the .uproject and config file, and it couldn't be simply EasyGame -> System.

I'll talk to the team about this. Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by MajorFailure View Post
    Hello,

I have a suggestion for the Blueprint assets on the Marketplace regarding how cleanly their core systems can be migrated to our projects. I've bought several recently and I've had some difficulty in bringing them into my projects without their associated example and demo files.

I'd like to suggest that Blueprint submissions need to follow a simple folder structure, e.g:

EasyGameCreator
    ........System
    ........Examples

With this structure I should be able to right click on the "System" folder and when I choose "Migrate..." I should just get the core files for the asset copied to my project, and nothing from the Examples folder, so this would give me EasyGameCreator/System in my projects.

I'd just like to say that I've been really impressed with all the blueprint assets I've bought, the developers I've contacted have all been really quick to reply and helpful, whether here on the forums or privately.

One thing that really amazes me though is just how insanely cheap they are, I bought a system yesterday for less than the cost of a packet of cigarettes that would have taken me weeks/months of work to design, code and test! The most expensive one I've bought would've still been a bargain at double the price. I really hope that the model of selling a lot cheaply works well for these asset creators.

Cheers!
    Hey, that's already how I organize my packages Making this a standard would be a good idea, in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hello,

EasyGameCreator
    ........System
    ........Examples

Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    A memory/performance index rating generated by Epic for each asset plaese ?

This could easily automated ( in my head anyway ) ... or if too much of a pita ; the ability to filter content by intended platform in the Market Place It's hard to find assets designed for mobile without going into each one, it's also hard to tell how you can use an asset within a level without knowing the performance impact generating x amount of instances in a scene will have.

The Market Place is kick-**** it truly is, amazing work Epic and content creators

Leave a comment:

• replied
    CheapModeler, you've been asked repeatedly to maintain a professional and respectful tone, but you've continued to stir things up across multiple threads. I've read everything that's been posted, and I'm not at all happy with your treatment of qdelpeche. You baited him into moving the Marketplace Improvements thread, then immediately attacked him for it and tried to drag me into a fight with him. I don't appreciate you trying to start a rift between Epic and the mods that we trust and respect. These are schoolyard antics, and behavior like that is beneath us.

With regards to WIP threads, we've heard what you've had to say, we've listened to everyone's input, and we have all we need right now. We're discussing this internally, and will have more information on the policy in the coming days. Until then, I recommend taking a few deep breaths and moving onto something else. That is all I have to say on the subject until we have more news on the policy.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Jon be straight with me.

Does this community have any input in what happens in these forums or not? If the answer is no then I'll drop all my complaints. Threads are being locked left and right. Threads are being moved north and south. And not ONE single time has community input been asked for nor has it been accepted when provided to you over the past week. Now maybe myself and plenty of other posters are making the mistake that we have a say in this or that our input is valued.

If our input doesn't matter one way or the other then let us know so we can get out of your hair and stop the drama.
    Last edited by CheapModeler; 07-30-2015, 03:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by CheapModeler View Post
    Did you okay the moving of this thread Jon?

I thought it was a sticky thread for a reason in the Marketplace forum.
    Calm down please ... thread has been moved back. This was an oversight on my part and everything is back to normal. Geesh.
    Last edited by qdelpeche; 07-30-2015, 04:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Did you okay the moving of this thread Jon?

I thought it was a sticky thread for a reason in the Marketplace forum.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by SE_JonF View Post
    Very nice update Jon, you all have been working hard and the enthusiasm in your post is infectious. Can't wait, keep up the good work! =)
    Thanks man! I love that I get to do this, and I feel lucky to every day.

Originally posted by indygoof View Post
    The seller portal is actually great news!

By "submitting content in our catalog" i guess you mean updates and not new assets?
    Both! Normally the submission flow is submission form -> Zendesk (our ticketing system) -> review -> receive files -> manual data entry into catalog -> publish. With this, we're nuking the entire manual data entry step, so every initial submission and update is essentially a reviewable entry in our catalog that goes into a special moderation queue for us.

What this also lets you do is update your submission before we review it, in case you made a typo or want to swap out a screenshot, and you didn't notice until after you submitted. You can just pop right in, make the changes, then update your submission. It's essentially removing the entire middle layer where we make the changes you request, and letting you have direct access to it instead so you can tweak to your heart's desire, and so we're not a bottleneck. The web team has been doing an outstanding job on this, and it's shaping up beautifully.

The one thing I'm still fuzzy on is precisely when the seller portal will begin to collect the actual project files. I think that's in the second release or after. I know the idea is to eventually handle the submission within the system, but I don't think that's going to happen in the first release. I've been pretty firm about getting a seller portal out and in the Marketplace's hands sooner rather than later, so we've planned some of the extra features like this for later releases.
    Last edited by Jon Jones; 07-29-2015, 07:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X