This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jon Jones View Post
    Another process improvement I'm going to start rolling out tomorrow: Any time Marketplace content is updated, I'm going to add a "WHAT'S NEW"-style section to that specific item with a list of what's been updated and when, much like you see on the Play Store and App Store. This will help highlight Marketplace content that content creators continuously update, which I want to start encouraging more. Thoughts?
    I like this idea. I plan to do more updates in the future due to how well received my latest expansion was. It'll be cool if more content creators get into that habit. It helps to increase the value of the pack, and gives consumers more to use. =)

Project Reverie Game | SEJonF.com | Twitter | ArtStation | WIP | UE4 SciFi Assets - Season 1 & Season 2 Discount Bundles Free Asset Demo | Ice Shader

Comment

Originally posted by SE_JonF View Post
      I like this idea. I plan to do more updates in the future due to how well received my latest expansion was. It'll be cool if more content creators get into that habit. It helps to increase the value of the pack, and gives consumers more to use. =)
      I agree, it's a big plus! I think speeding up the dissemination of sales reports will help encourage content creators to keep updating their content, and highlighting it when they do. The customer service and support aspect of selling on the Marketplace is something I've been focusing on a lot more, and I plan on emphasizing best practices and setting expectations a bit more. I'll start emphasizing that more once I'm able to give sellers more information on how their content is performing and to give them other tools they can use to work with us and do better. Can't really have one without the other, IMO.
      -jon [ web: www.jonjones.com | twitter: @jonjones ]

Comment

Agreed! Good to see things moving in this direction. My first sales report is what motivated me to do the update in the first place. No better way to show gratitude for support than by showing support yourself. =)

Project Reverie Game | SEJonF.com | Twitter | ArtStation | WIP | UE4 SciFi Assets - Season 1 & Season 2 Discount Bundles Free Asset Demo | Ice Shader

Comment

Hey guys

I have to say really nice work from the Marketplace team, really good experience so far.

One thing about the submission process;
          Currently we have those two "coming soon" images, which have 90% the same dimensions, but not exactly. Removing that one extra step by using the same format would go a long way. It dosnt feel right and its an additional hurdle.
          (the one is 394x208 , the other 476x245)
          Adjusting the store layout to be consistent between coming soon and featured would make a lot of sense and simplify things for both marketplace curators and creators.

Also the store thumbnail and the project thumbnail are very similar in size. The project wants (200x200) I think ? and the Store 140x140. If the project would at least support the store resolution, that would be nice.
          It looks like the actual preview thumbnail for your Project in your Unreal "Lobby" is not bigger than that anyways, so the only bigger icon would be on the "Project Settings" page, but offering no value from that increased resolution.

In general the Project settings are not described in your guidelines if I read right, so I was not sure what to do with it at first, and if it was required. Especially the Terms of Service and those textfields are leaving questions open.

If we could import, update and add images and description to our own invisible unapproved store page, that would be amazing, and would make the whole "making images etc" far less abstract.
          You guys could just look at the private Store pages and approve when a user sent his request for approval.

What I currently wish the most is a simple "total / monthly downloads" counter for your own package, that would be great. I was thinking for the whole first month that I did not sell a single copy, because my "Store Balance" did not increase : )

Good work so far! Hope that helps

Comment

Originally posted by Shrike View Post
            Hey guys

I have to say really nice work from the Marketplace team, really good experience so far.

One thing about the submission process;
            Currently we have those two "coming soon" images, which have 90% the same dimensions, but not exactly. Removing that one extra step by using the same format would go a long way. It dosnt feel right and its an additional hurdle.
            (the one is 394x208 , the other 476x245)
            Adjusting the store layout to be consistent between coming soon and featured would make a lot of sense and simplify things for both marketplace curators and creators.
            Thanks for the kind words! And actually, I agree with you that the multiple image sizes are a little annoying. In fact, late last week I updated our guidelines to remove the need for the Coming Soon images entirely. It got to be too cluttered, frankly. Here's a link to the updated image guidelines: https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...ion-guidelines

We have plans to keep simplifying this as well.

Also the store thumbnail and the project thumbnail are very similar in size. The project wants (200x200) I think ? and the Store 140x140. If the project would at least support the store resolution, that would be nice.
            It looks like the actual preview thumbnail for your Project in your Unreal "Lobby" is not bigger than that anyways, so the only bigger icon would be on the "Project Settings" page, but offering no value from that increased resolution.
            Well, the way the Marketplace in the launcher and the Marketplace on the web are set up involve the different image sizes but dynamically scale differently. And the launcher didn't used to be resizable, so we had some legacy thumbnail sizes in there that hung around a little bit longer than expected. It's been a little weird for us internally as well, but this, too, is going to get better.

In general the Project settings are not described in your guidelines if I read right, so I was not sure what to do with it at first, and if it was required. Especially the Terms of Service and those textfields are leaving questions open.
            Can you explain that in a bit more detail? Let's see if I can clear that up and make it easier.

If we could import, update and add images and description to our own invisible unapproved store page, that would be amazing, and would make the whole "making images etc" far less abstract.
            You guys could just look at the private Store pages and approve when a user sent his request for approval.
            That is an excellent idea. Stay tuned. heheh.

What I currently wish the most is a simple "total / monthly downloads" counter for your own package, that would be great. I was thinking for the whole first month that I did not sell a single copy, because my "Store Balance" did not increase : )

Good work so far! Hope that helps
            Terrific feedback! And yes, this week I'm working on how to get the sales numbers out more quickly. Eventually it will be automated and visible in the seller dashboard we're developing, but right now it's a bit of a manual process to get the numbers. I can't commit to anything specific yet -- I don't want to accidentally promise something we can't deliver in a reasonable timeframe in a professional manner -- but that is really important to me and I'm working on it now.

Comment

I'd like to see staff picks or staff favorites. Would be a great way to keep involved with marketplace creators and I think it would incentivize more quality submissions.
              |Mitchell Lucas
              |Technical Sound Designer at Magic Leap

Comment

Now that EPIC puts our marketplace content we submitted into our 'vault' and it shows as purchased, I can no longer see what price is displayed. This could be problematic if there is a typo or mistake in the price.
                Spline-Enabled Fence Pack - "Great pack, huge time-saver, top quality and enough variety to really make the assets unique." -Dark Acre Jack
                Destructible Road Signs - "Seriously awesome. Single blueprint for pretty much all the road signs you'll ever need." -thankstipscom
                Zipline/Teleporter/JumpPad - "This is a very flexible system for any project, and really simple to implement." -lunyBunny
                Wooden Storage Pack - "Very good high quality assets and well worth it." -Deathweave
                Digital Portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by Osok View Post
                  Now that EPIC puts our marketplace content we submitted into our 'vault' and it shows as purchased, I can no longer see what price is displayed. This could be problematic if there is a typo or mistake in the price.

Log Off or look at transactions in your account

Luny
                  lunybunny.com
                  lunybunny.com

Comment

Originally posted by lunyBunny View Post
                    Log Off or look at transactions in your account
                    Luny
                    I'm an idiot. I didn't even think to log off. Thank you!
                    Spline-Enabled Fence Pack - "Great pack, huge time-saver, top quality and enough variety to really make the assets unique." -Dark Acre Jack
                    Destructible Road Signs - "Seriously awesome. Single blueprint for pretty much all the road signs you'll ever need." -thankstipscom
                    Zipline/Teleporter/JumpPad - "This is a very flexible system for any project, and really simple to implement." -lunyBunny
                    Wooden Storage Pack - "Very good high quality assets and well worth it." -Deathweave
                    Digital Portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidiaguy View Post
                      I'd like to see staff picks or staff favorites. Would be a great way to keep involved with marketplace creators and I think it would incentivize more quality submissions.
                      I like this! Going to think of ways to present that. Thanks!

Comment

Three tidbits!

a) What would you think if I started adding links to the forum support threads on Marketplace content? We have the contact info and the website info, but a couple people have included the forum threads as well, and I thought that could be a cool idea to expand on for people that want it. It's a great way to stay in touch with your customers and the community, and people really like seeing content that's actively developed with community input. This could provide another path to doing that.

b) I'm looking for something to replace the public Trello voting boards. Right now I think it mostly just adds time to publishing, and depending on what we put in its place, we could knock 2 - 4 weeks off the time from submission to publishing. We have an idea requiring engineering time that could fulfill that, but that's later in the year and I want to speed things up sooner than that. Technically, we could stop updating the public Trello boards today and immediately increase our publishing speed, but we'd be left without the community transparency that Trello brought. It's tricky, because I want to improve this *now* but our engineering team is solid booked on other Marketplace stuff, so my near-term resources are limited, and I don't want whatever gets put in its place to seem like a regression, even if it would be MUCH faster. What do you guys think?

c) Top 10 Marketplace categories by individual sales (not revenue):

1) Environments
                        2) FX
                        3) Props
                        4) Blueprints
                        5) Textures
                        6) Characters
                        7) Weapons
                        8) Animations
                        9) Sound FX
                        10) Music

Comment

a.) That's a good idea, I should probably add my series WIP thread to the description.

b.) The Trello board is currently used to gauge interest in a product before it hits the marketplace, right? The UE4 Marketplace guidelines mention that one of the reasons an item may be removed from the marketplace is lack of public interest. This essentially performs the same function as the Trello board, just not beforehand. If Epic receives content that meets their quality standards, you can simply add it to the marketplace and let the consumers vote with their wallets. I'm not sure what the threshold would be to consider it a failure, perhaps less than 20 lifetime sales by a certain period or something like 6 months. Nothing too strict as you don't want it to be where you are pressured to sell x amount of units in x days/months but a number where you can determine "yeah nobody is really interested in this product."

c.) I'm hoping to be able to help contribute more to the characters categories, going to be evaluating that once I finish up with this summers submissions. =)

Comment

Originally posted by SE_JonF View Post
                            If Epic receives content that meets their quality standards, you can simply add it to the marketplace and let the consumers vote with their wallets.
                            +1..........

Comment

@Jon Jones

+1...To dropping Trello, especially if it means a reduction in the turnaround time...

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Jones View Post
                                c) Top 10 Marketplace categories by individual sales (not revenue):

1) Environments
                                2) FX
                                3) Props
                                4) Blueprints
                                5) Textures
                                6) Characters
                                7) Weapons
                                8) Animations
                                9) Sound FX
                                10) Music
                                That's kind of surprising that environments would be #1 with sales counts, since they're usually the most expensive. Cool, though, since its nice to see that those guys' hard work paid off.

Necro's Bone Box, Necro's Utility Material Pack, Necro's Utility Material Pack #2, Necro's Rock Box, Necro's Tool Box on the UE4 Marketplace.

Comment

Working...
                                X