This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    So here are my suggestions on how to greatly improve the marketplace.
    • A better organization of assets into deeper categories + search by tag.
    • A real review system, like Steam has it, with positive and negative ratings.
    • A more indepth rating system, that includes multiple points like "Well structured" - "Quality of code / blueprints" - "Well documented" - "Easy to understand" - "Simple to migrate into another project" etc.
    • Hide assets by default that aren't updated for a longer time.
    • The marketplace staff needs to re-test assets once in a while, to check if the quality remains.
    • And create a guideline on how people should create assets, like props or blueprints, to show them an optimal folder structure, documentation and to make sure assets are actually usable for other projects.

I think this would help a lot. What a lot of marketplace creators seem to forget is that it's mainly newcomers who are buying there, especially the blueprints. And therefore they just don't know what the devs do.

Creators should never expect the buyers to simply understand everything they do.
    Last edited by spacegojira; 02-17-2017, 03:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yes, I agree that any blueprint/coding asset I've seen on the marketplace has been sub-par. Note: I've only tried a few, but they were each not actually usable for a shipping game.
    Then again, the cost is measured in dozens of dollars, so perhaps that's as much as you can get at that price for something that only sells dozens of copies...
    If I make a "realistic road intersections editor" blueprint, that might sell, what, 10-50 copies? And even if I charge $99 (which would reduce the number of copies sold) I wouldn't make back the time it takes to build something like that well.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Wrote a thing about this thing.

http://allarsblog.com/2017/02/17/Marketplace-Issues/

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by SE_JonF View Post
    Sorry to hear you're experiencing trouble with some marketplace products. If you see content that isn't up to date, it's best to inform the staff as that is against the policy (sellers must maintain at least current/direct previous versions).
    That is funny you say that, because there are A LOT of marketplace assets (blueprints) that are out of date (like for version 4.13 and before) and are clearly not updated anymore. Does Unreal Staff not check the marketplace items if they are up to date?

Besides, my biggest concern with the marketplace is the aweful quality of a lot of assets. I bought multiple things, mostly blueprints, and only 3 are actually usable. The rest is either bugged, has little to no documentation, isn't portable to another project or is simple broken.
    This really makes me ask if the assets are actually checked before being accepted.. Reviews aren't helpful either, because most people don't seem to review the the comments aren't helpful either to figure out if something is wrong with the product.

I just bought a blueprint system, which had good reviews (4.5), critical points in the comments where addressed and the trailer looked really good. I ended up with a half-broken, bugged product with zero documentation and a messy folder / blueprints structure, which isn't working at all after migrating it to another project.

And since I can't refund assets, my library is now filled with subpar quality or broken content. Honestly I don't want to spend another dollar on the marketplace anymore..

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by jwatte View Post
    Knowing how corporations work, I can almost guarantee that the problem is budget. There is no other problem, unless you're trying to invent something that's never been invented before.
    And budget comes from profit, or the prospect of future profit.
    And missing these features, simple ones like a "shopping cart" or "favorites" is pretty important to securing more profit.

You kept saying budget but these feature sets are not incredible complicated or expensive features to add to a web app... Especially for a company that just hands out 5 million dollars to whoever they feel like it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Give us an ability to Bookmark/Favorite an asset so we can return later to purchase it

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Watchlist like feature would be good too and sort items by discount %

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Some feedback. If I'm posting it in the wrong place - please move to appropriate thread.
    - Why can't we just select desired currency for marketplace? I'd prefer to see prices in USD or at least UAH. RUB feels like such a random choice.
    - Would be nice to have lots of sorting options: name, date, recently added/updated, by price, by author etc.
    - Some sort of tag system that would be displayed on each item and allow to sort by it. For example, atm there is just one big "weapon" category. Tags might be: firearms, modern, medieval, melee, fantasy, high-tech etc.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi there. The Guidelines for Marketplace submissions are repeating every step:
    https://publish.unrealengine.com/submission-guidelines

I'm talking about "Preparing your assets : XYZ"
    Shouldn't the folder structure, Overview Map etc mentioned once, but only the Technical Specification of the Assets for each?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by zeOrb View Post
    It's either random or editor choice. Each week 4-6 products from released 25-30 products are featured for whole week.

80% of released assets never see the frontpage so it's kinda ok to expect that you won't be featured. You will if you're lucky

It's either part of this week release or old community choices from 2016. November choice will go away next week and December will go in February. You can read about it Community interest poll there

No, sadly sellers can't get access to such information
    Ok thats good to know! Thanks for the speedy and detailed response!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by KingTumTum101 View Post
    Can somebody inform me how an item is selected for the features page? It seems to be random.
    It's either random or editor choice. Each week 4-6 products from released 25-30 products are featured for whole week.

Right now there are a few items there that were just released and dont have any ratings, but when my pack was released it was never on the featured page
    80% of released assets never see the frontpage so it's kinda ok to expect that you won't be featured. You will if you're lucky

...and even now that it has great ratings, other items with lower ratings are on the featured page. Im just not sure how it all works.
    It's either part of this week release or old community choices from 2016. November choice will go away next week and December will go in February. You can read about it Community interest poll there

Also, is it possible to contact everyone who has purchased your pack? As far as I can tell there is no way to view who has purchased it, let alone message them.
    No, sadly sellers can't get access to such information

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Also, is it possible to contact everyone who has purchased your pack? As far as I can tell there is no way to view who has purchased it, let alone message them.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Can somebody inform me how an item is selected for the features page? It seems to be random. Right now there are a few items there that were just released and dont have any ratings, but when my pack was released it was never on the featured page...and even now that it has great ratings, other items with lower ratings are on the featured page. Im just not sure how it all works.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by richardboegli View Post
    Unity supports this and I've been more than happy to buy upgrades for items which have been revised with additional features.
    ^- Exactly!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by CleanCut View Post
    The general condition is that the marketplace item could be significantly improved for subsequent versions of the marketplace item, and there will be previous buyers of the previous version (Me!) who would be willing to pay for the next version of updated stuff.
    This is what I thought you were referring to right at the beginning.

Unity supports this and I've been more than happy to buy upgrades for items which have been revised with additional features.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X