Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This issue might get a bit more awareness if you start another thread. Hope you find a resolution to your issue!

Project Reverie Game | SEJonF.com | Twitter | ArtStation | WIP | UE4 SciFi Assets - Season 1 & Season 2 Discount Bundles Free Asset Demo | Ice Shader

Comment

What about a forums badge (this thing on the left below the name) for marketplace sellers? Something like "Marketplace seller"
      Easy to use UMG Mini Map on the UE4 Marketplace.
      Forum thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-Plug-and-Play

Comment

I've been asking for that for a while now. =P Chance said he made them already, just hasn't decided whether they will add them or not.

Project Reverie Game | SEJonF.com | Twitter | ArtStation | WIP | UE4 SciFi Assets - Season 1 & Season 2 Discount Bundles Free Asset Demo | Ice Shader

Comment

Just finished reading through most of this thread (about time I did!). Very insightful stuff.
          Personally, I can't complain with the process so far. Everyone has been super supportive. The only thing is, like some have mentioned, once a project is on the Trello Board, it feels a bit like a guessing game as to the length of time remaining before it either breaks or makes it to the Market. For example, my match-3 project got moved to the coming soon section, and from there I've been feeling kind of in a "limbo". I've announced this move to the community, but beyond that I feel a little limited. Having a launch date would be nice to build up towards. In the meantime I've been working on other projects, and once the Match-3 project gets moved to next release I guess then will be the time to really put the pedal down and get the hype going. Being my first submitted project, it's a learning experience (I'm definitely going to better choose my images and description next time).

I also think that the Trello board is iffy, I personally didn't know about it until I submitted my first project, not that I really looked for it, but I'm assuming that the majority of the community is also unaware or simply not interested in that process. That being said, would it really change much if the entire community was to vote? There would be more votes, yes, but would it really change the outcome, maybe not. I think that the community is a healthy one, and that even in a small percentage, it can reflect the majority's opinion.

In short, great work from the Market's staff, thank you for the information, and I am looking forward to creating more content for Unreal Engine 4's Blueprint system.
          Last edited by Mortusnyte; 05-13-2015, 03:28 AM.
          David Hache aka Mortusnyte - Youtube
          Content Creator
          -Match-3 Blueprint
          -Simple Checkpoint System
          -2D Character Engine - WIP

"Give me your best shot... If you're prepared for the void!" -Magus, 600 A.D.

Comment

As a marketplace contributor I have to say that I am disappointed with the length of time it takes for us to receive sales reports. It has consistently been 5 weeks after the close of a month to receive sales statistics. For example, any sales I made on March 1st I am not notified of until May 7th. That is over 2 months from the time of sale. As it has been stated by EPIC staff that they hope artists can make a decent living with the marketplace, but how is a seller supposed to do any kind of financial planning with such a long lull between information? As an accountant it makes my stomach sick.

So I just received my invoice for march, but the entire April sales period has completed but I will not know what my payout will be until June 7th. This is unacceptable and this needs to be the #1 priority of the marketplace team. There is nothing more important than this. I was sitting here doing math of sales as a percentage of youtube views from direct links to blindly pulling numbers out of nowhere to try and estimate what my sales proceeds will be for April come the first week of June. Epic already knows right now how many sales I made in April, but I will not be informed until the first week of June. It is seriously unacceptable.

How I am supposed to plan for the future: sales, price changes, new content, updates to old content? The creators are blind, EPIC has the cure, but we are not being given the treatment. At the very most we want detailed live tracking of sales and at the very least we want sales statistics at the month end. This is more about the communication of information than it is about payment dates. I am not even that upset with waiting 45 days after close for payment, but the information of sales needs to be delivered as soon as it is available. I'm not mad, I'm just feeling very under-supported as a contractor that is bringing in revenue for the company.
            Last edited by Osok; 05-07-2015, 10:59 PM. Reason: formatting
            Spline-Enabled Fence Pack - "Great pack, huge time-saver, top quality and enough variety to really make the assets unique." -Dark Acre Jack
            Destructible Road Signs - "Seriously awesome. Single blueprint for pretty much all the road signs you'll ever need." -thankstipscom
            Zipline/Teleporter/JumpPad - "This is a very flexible system for any project, and really simple to implement." -lunyBunny
            Wooden Storage Pack - "Very good high quality assets and well worth it." -Deathweave
            Digital Portfolio

Comment

Jon Jones or Deke Waters mentioned a couple weeks ago in this thread (or another) that they are working on a seller portal. So we should be able to view our sales in real time relatively soon. As a vendor myself, I can understand the frustration with getting it a month after. I also want to add that having a consistent date is also important, for reliability. That being said, this is Epic's first experience with running a marketplace like this, so everyone is learning as they go. When you consider that, I think the team has done a tremendous job so far. They're doing the best they can, and are definitely improving in areas that were criticized early on. Good things grow in time. We've seen submission wait times significantly reduced, and the whole review process streamlined for efficiency.

As you mentioned, Epic has said they want to grow the marketplace into a place where content developers can make a decent living. Looking at how much the marketplace process has improved since it was launched, I have faith in their intent to help deliver on that within the parameters that they are in control of. =)

Comment

Originally posted by SE_JonF View Post
                I've been asking for that for a while now. =P Chance said he made them already, just hasn't decided whether they will add them or not.
                I like the idea! I'll talk to Chance about this.

Originally posted by Mortusnyte View Post
                Just finished reading through most of this thread (about time I did!). Very insightful stuff.
                Personally, I can't complain with the process so far. Everyone has been super supportive. The only thing is, like some have mentioned, once a project is on the Trello Board, it feels a bit like a guessing game as to the length of time remaining before it either breaks or makes it to the Market. For example, my match-3 project got moved to the coming soon section, and from there I've been feeling kind of in a "limbo". I've announced this move to the community, but beyond that I feel a little limited. Having a launch date would be nice to build up towards. In the meantime I've been working on other projects, and once the Match-3 project gets moved to next release I guess then will be the time to really put the pedal down and get the hype going. Being my first submitted project, it's a learning experience (I'm definitely going to better chose my images and description next time).

I also think that the Trello board is iffy, I personally didn't know about it until I submitted my first project, not that I really looked for it, but I'm assuming that the majority of the community is also unaware or simply not interested in that process. That being said, would it really change much if the entire community was to vote? There would be more votes, yes, but would it really change the outcome, maybe not. I think that the community is a healthy one, and that even in a small percentage, it can reflect the majority's opinion.

In short, great work from the Market's staff, thank you for the information, and I am looking forward to creating more content for Unreal Engine 4's Blueprint system.
                Thank you for your honest feedback, and for your submission!

The Trello system is something we've been working on turning into something more useful over time, but I think there's a lot more we could be doing to communicate with content creators what's happening and what the status is. Even though traffic to Trello over time has increased a lot, it still seems like something that not everyone is yet aware of, and it may not be doing the same job now that it did when we started.

So here's an open question to the community -- do you guys think Trello is still worth using?

We envisioned it as a way for the community to promote their content, gauge public interest, and use it as a way to advertise leading up to a release. But it's possible that the Trello board isn't doing the same job it did when we launched. I'd like to hear from everyone on this.

Originally posted by Osok View Post
                As a marketplace contributor I have to say that I am disappointed with the length of time it takes for us to receive sales reports. It has consistently been 5 weeks after the close of a month to receive sales statistics. For example, any sales I made on March 1st I am not notified of until May 7th. That is over 2 months from the time of sale. As it has been stated by EPIC staff that they hope artists can make a decent living with the marketplace, but how is a seller supposed to do any kind of financial planning with such a long lull between information? As an accountant it makes my stomach sick.

So I just received my invoice for march, but the entire April sales period has completed but I will not know what my payout will be until June 7th. This is unacceptable and this needs to be the #1 priority of the marketplace team. There is nothing more important than this. I was sitting here doing math of sales as a percentage of youtube views from direct links to blindly pulling numbers out of nowhere to try and estimate what my sales proceeds will be for April come the first week of June. Epic already knows right now how many sales I made in April, but I will not be informed until the first week of June. It is seriously unacceptable.

How I am supposed to plan for the future: sales, price changes, new content, updates to old content? The creators are blind, EPIC has the cure, but we are not being given the treatment. At the very most we want detailed live tracking of sales and at the very least we want sales statistics at the month end. This is more about the communication of information than it is about payment dates. I am not even that upset with waiting 45 days after close for payment, but the information of sales needs to be delivered as soon as it is available. I'm not mad, I'm just feeling very under-supported as a contractor that is bringing in revenue for the company.
                I understand your frustration. This is our (and my) top priority internally. We are currently developing a seller portal that will not only make it easier to submit and update content (including price, screenshots, description, etc), but also streamline sales reports and payment. In the meantime, I'm currently working on finding out how I can get sales data to sellers faster than we currently do, as well as giving the community a clearer idea of what's popular and where the best opportunities are for succeeding on the Marketplace based on data. I have a few ideas I've gotten early approval on, and I'll be rolling those out publicly in the coming days and weeks. Stay tuned.

Originally posted by SE_JonF View Post
                Jon Jones or Deke Waters mentioned a couple weeks ago in this thread (or another) that they are working on a seller portal. So we should be able to view our sales in real time relatively soon. As a vendor myself, I can understand the frustration with getting it a month after. I also want to add that having a consistent date is also important, for reliability. That being said, this is Epic's first experience with running a marketplace like this, so everyone is learning as they go. When you consider that, I think the team has done a tremendous job so far. They're doing the best they can, and are definitely improving in areas that were criticized early on. Good things grow in time. We've seen submission wait times significantly reduced, and the whole review process streamlined for efficiency.

As you mentioned, Epic has said they want to grow the marketplace into a place where content developers can make a decent living. Looking at how much the marketplace process has improved since it was launched, I have faith in their intent to help deliver on that within the parameters that they are in control of. =)
                Thanks, man. I (and we) sincerely appreciate that.
                -jon [ web: www.jonjones.com | twitter: @jonjones ]

Comment

Also, as a side note to lay out progress this week --

1) We released 10 really awesome pieces of Marketplace content this week, the most we've ever done, and did it earlier and easier than ever before! Blog post link: https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/ma...-release-may-6

2) We put 30 new items on the public Trello for voting, which is a new record! Go check 'em out and vote! https://trello.com/b/x2AEJP0x/ue4-ma...ce-submissions

3) We launched our second Marketplace sale, with a Zombie Horror theme! It ends Sunday night, so check it out while it's still up: https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/ma...ce-sales-may-4

4) We started a sticky thread to gather questions for our upcoming official FAQ to make things easier for content creators and developers using the Marketplace! Please, go check it out and hit us up with whatever questions you've got: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...arketplace-FAQ

5) I quietly updated the Marketplace Submissions Guidelines page with the latest information we have. The new 4.8 skeleton and info isn't online yet, however, but it will be soon. Here's a link to the updated submissions guidelines: https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...ion-guidelines

6) I wrote a short blog post about why the low-poly art style exists, how to be great at it, and specifically what we're looking for in low-poly styled art on the Marketplace: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...he-Marketplace

7) Behind the scenes, we're getting MUCH faster and more efficient at running submissions through QA, increasing the speed that submissions go through our system, we're signing legal agreements and getting financial information faster than ever, and that's freeing me up to work on more high-level Marketplace stuff. I'm also in talks with 15+ companies about bringing their content into the Marketplace for our first few rounds of code plugins (coming in 4.8, limitedly!) to make Marketplace content even more appealing.

So that's a quick snapshot of where we are this week. More coming soon, including another new upcoming sale of some of our best content! All sorts of fun experiments to do to make this place better.

Comment

So I just received my invoice for march, but the entire April sales period has completed but I will not know what my payout will be until June 7th. This is unacceptable and this needs to be the #1 priority of the marketplace team.
                    Wait, it really takes more than 1 month AFTER end of the month? I was thinking it some sort of legal "maximum", not a rule. Hmm...
                    SuperGrid: Marketplace Page | Feedback Thread | Demo | Website
                    Level design and prototyping for newbies

Comment

Originally posted by zeOrb View Post
                      Wait, it really takes more than 1 month AFTER end of the month? I was thinking it some sort of legal "maximum", not a rule. Hmm...
                      It has consistently been 5 weeks after the end of the sales period.

Originally posted by Jon Jones View Post
                      I understand your frustration. This is our (and my) top priority internally. We are currently developing a seller portal that will not only make it easier to submit and update content (including price, screenshots, description, etc), but also streamline sales reports and payment. In the meantime, I'm currently working on finding out how I can get sales data to sellers faster than we currently do, as well as giving the community a clearer idea of what's popular and where the best opportunities are for succeeding on the Marketplace based on data. I have a few ideas I've gotten early approval on, and I'll be rolling those out publicly in the coming days and weeks. Stay tuned.
                      Happy to hear something is being done.
                      Spline-Enabled Fence Pack - "Great pack, huge time-saver, top quality and enough variety to really make the assets unique." -Dark Acre Jack
                      Destructible Road Signs - "Seriously awesome. Single blueprint for pretty much all the road signs you'll ever need." -thankstipscom
                      Zipline/Teleporter/JumpPad - "This is a very flexible system for any project, and really simple to implement." -lunyBunny
                      Wooden Storage Pack - "Very good high quality assets and well worth it." -Deathweave
                      Digital Portfolio

Comment

I don't get why Epic is taking 30% of total sales. A lot of people will just switch to other selling websites and give 5% royalty fee to Epic at the end of the year..

Comment

30% is generally the standard when it comes to an online marketplace.

Comment

Its not a zero sum game here. 30% does seem like a lot to take, admittedly, but hey, they can give whatever %age they like, presumably the theory is that the marketplace will grow big enough to sustain that percentage. But you could just as easily host your own sale (lets say via gumroad) at a smaller percentage and sell via that if you think you can sell more directly. Epic are essentially acting like a portal at this point (remember those casual games portals that used to sell indie games and take a cut?).

Still, if you think that percentage is too steep, you can always go sell elsewhere too. Which I guess is what a lot of the art content guys are doing.

Comment

Hey guys, does anyone getting replies from marketplace-support@unrealengine.com ?
                              I've send them a message last friday and still no replies. I've send another message, but now I haven't even got an auto-reply from zendesk :|
                              SuperGrid: Marketplace Page | Feedback Thread | Demo | Website
                              Level design and prototyping for newbies

Comment

Originally posted by TetraClock View Post
                                I don't get why Epic is taking 30% of total sales. A lot of people will just switch to other selling websites and give 5% royalty fee to Epic at the end of the year..
                                As SE_JonF said, 30% is the standard percentage taken by most other online marketplaces or stores like this, including Apple's App Store and Google's Play Store. We have an internal team that works fulltime to handle submissions, customer service questions, do quality assurance testing on all submissions, and people that run the backend catalog, the frontend launcher and technology, and far more than that -- oh yeah, some content curator guy too -- to essentially help keep the ship sailing and keep building out the tech to scale as we grow. In exchange for that 30%, we work closely with developers to help improve and fine-tune their content, help with technical and support issues, and to promote their content heavily across Epic Games' expansive social media reach, both for regular releases and in the sales we've recently started to run.

If you think about it, being able to sell your content by being directly embedded into one of the world's leading video game engines and having a team dedicated to promoting you as widely as possible is a pretty sweet deal. I began my career as a contract artist gradually learning to self-promote, and I'd loved to have had something like this. That's why I'm trying to develop the Marketplace into the kind of place I wished I'd had access to, so I can help content creators grow and thrive because I know exactly what it's like to do that and make a living at it. And since UE4 went free, the company's continued success depends on being the best platform possible and helping people sell their content and ship games. If you think about it in those terms, your content is essentially being supported and amplified by Epic's ongoing operating costs and marketing efforts as a company. You win, we win. The Marketplace is still young, but it's difficult to match that level of resources elsewhere, and we *really* want people to succeed. I would say we go out of our way to support people, but it's not out of our way -- that's actually our entire purpose as a team.

Comment

Working...
                                X