[SUPPORT] Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jparker4 View Post
    That's incredibly cool that it sounds like multiplayer is coming along nicely! I'm rooting for you, great job!
    Thanks! Yes, multiplayer is working for the base toolkit at this point, though having it work with the skill-system will take some work.

Originally posted by OperatorCrux View Post
    Hello! Sorry if this has already been asked before but I'm planning on making a few maps ahead of buying your toolkit on the marketplace so I have to ask; Is there is a set "distance" or "size" that the automatically generated grid will be using that I can use as a measurement when making the map? Or does it scale according to the textures? Rather new to the programming side of things, mostly done level development, so any information on this would be incredibly helpful. Thanks in advance.
    Hello Crux, I don't think that has been asked before and it is a good question. I've designed the toolkit so that it can be used with grid tiles of any size, so it is completely up to you when it comes to designing your levels. The default size is 200x200 Unreal units (cm) for square grids and 200x231 Unreal units for hexagonal grids, but changing this is as easy as swapping the default tile mesh. With the coming update you will also be able to scale the grid in the editor like you would scale any other actor.
    The Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit (Marketplace page - Feedback thread)

Comment

Hi Monokkel,

Have you created a function that identifies all of a player's units at the beginning of their turn? I would like to create a function that adds an action point for each unit on a specific type of tile at the beginning of each player's turn. Do you have any suggestions on how to go about doing this?

Comment

Originally posted by pigneedle View Post
        Hi Monokkel,

Have you created a function that identifies all of a player's units at the beginning of their turn? I would like to create a function that adds an action point for each unit on a specific type of tile at the beginning of each player's turn. Do you have any suggestions on how to go about doing this?
        I have made no function for this, but I'll give you one way to do this. Get all actors of class (unit) -> run a ForEach loop -> check if the unit is standing on a specific tile (I assume you have already added a method for this) -> if true set the unit's action points to current action points +1.

Comment

Originally posted by Monokkel View Post
          One of the thing I'm doing in the next update is making the skill system a part of the base toolkit and in the process I'm trying to make it easier to understand and manipulate.
          Any ETA on when this update will land? If it's a week or more away I'll dive in the current version and learn my way around but if it's a few days away then it might be worth the wait since I'm looking into building a primarily skill driven combat system.

Comment

Originally posted by Bloodwork View Post
            Any ETA on when this update will land? If it's a week or more away I'll dive in the current version and learn my way around but if it's a few days away then it might be worth the wait since I'm looking into building a primarily skill driven combat system.
            Way more than a week away, I'm afraid. Though I'm working on the toolkit daily the update won't be done until a couple of more months at the earliest. There is still a lot I want to do. The skill system will still be very similar in the coming update, so converting any skills you've added should hopefully be quite easy.

Comment

Alright, thank you for the information. I'll use the current version.

Comment

Easiest thing im sure, but I cant quite figure it out and it's driving me crazy:

I copied the Sci_Fi project out into the root of my project and spent the hours renaming and reorganizing the references that were broken. I wanted skills ect in my game so I am using sci fi as a basis to start my project, but for now nothing was added. That was a long and tedious process (I wish there was easier way to migrate files unreal...), but is all done now without errors.. persay.

With the Sci_Fi project, there is new ai controller, gamemode, player controller ect, and even though I think I copied everything correctly and reset the references correctly, my game still runs just like the base level toolkit. Where do I change everything to load the correct versions of the controller bps?

at runtime:

Click image for larger version

Name:	my version.png
Views:	1
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	1128997

My desire is running the renamed grid manager should load all the sci_fi (renamed) bp.

Thanks for the guidance!
                Last edited by Curiosichi; 06-02-2017, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Curiosichi View Post
                  Easiest thing im sure, but I cant quite figure it out and it's driving me crazy:

I copied the Sci_Fi project out into the root of my project and spent the hours renaming and reorganizing the references that were broken. I wanted skills ect in my game so I am using sci fi as a basis to start my project, but for now nothing was added. That was a long and tedious process (I wish there was easier way to migrate files unreal...), but is all done now without errors.. persay.

With the Sci_Fi project, there is new ai controller, gamemode, player controller ect, and even though I think I copied everything correctly and reset the references correctly, my game still runs just like the base level toolkit. Where do I change everything to load the correct versions of the controller bps?

at runtime:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]143544[/ATTACH]

My desire is running the renamed grid manager should load all the sci_fi (renamed) bp.

Thanks for the guidance!
                  Seems like you are still using the old game mode. The game mode selects what player controller etc. to use. You can set the game mode in the world settings of your map.

Comment

I knew it had to be something simple. Learned something today. Thanks!

Comment

Name:	error.png
Size:	413.0 KB
ID:	1129022

This is the last error I've run into trying to port everything from the toolkit to the root of my project.

I can't seem to figure out what is causing it. The error pops up after clicking a tile for action, like using any skills or even just moving. The error makes it seem like the Hover Market Decal might not be set, but I am using the same decal the SciFi is, which is set to Decal_Blank. I've also tried Decal_HoverMarker and that did not fix the issue either.

Do you happen to have any ideas of why this error may be occuring?

Comment

This is the last error I've run into trying to port everything from the toolkit to the root of my project.

I can't seem to figure out what is causing it. The error pops up after clicking a tile for action, like using any skills or even just moving. The error makes it seem like the Hover Market Decal might not be set, but I am using the same decal the SciFi is, which is set to Decal_Blank. I've also tried Decal_HoverMarker and that did not fix the issue either.

Do you happen to have any ideas of why this error may be occuring?
                        The reason this error appears is that in the Add Mesh Components graph in BP_GridManager, decal components are only added if UseDecals is set to true. Since it is false in your case, there are no decal components at runtime and when you attempt to set the visibility of the decal during gameplay no decal is found, returning the error. This error will not cause any problems, but it is of course not ideal to have errors cluttering up the log. To prevent this I added the custom SetMarkerVisibility function in BP_GridManager, which includes a branch that prevents the nonexistent decal/mesh from being accessed. Try using that instead of the regular Set Visibility node. Or, if you are certain that you are not going to use decals for this purpose in your game, just set the visibility for the mesh and don't bother doing it for the decal.

Comment

Name:	error.png
Size:	360.1 KB
ID:	1129029

Even if I enable Decals, the error still occurs, only it now complains that the HoverMarker (static mesh) is the missing piece.

The error is triggered in the base ATBTT_PlayerController, so it is not something I changed. What/where would I be looking to change to prevent this error (log errors)? I would assume this is something in one of the children blueprints, not the base, right?

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]143625[/ATTACH]

Even if I enable Decals, the error still occurs, only it now complains that the HoverMarker (static mesh) is the missing piece.

The error is triggered in the base ATBTT_PlayerController, so it is not something I changed. What/where would I be looking to change to prevent this error (log errors)? I would assume this is something in one of the children blueprints, not the base, right?
                            Hmm, seems like it is my mistake then. Odd as I have not seen the error myself. Try replacing the SetVisibility node shown in your screenshot with the SetMarkerVisibility function from BP_GridManager (get a reference to the grid manager in the player controller to do this).

Comment

Name:	resolved.jpg
Size:	335.8 KB
ID:	1129033

So I changed the code as follows and the error is resolved.

I didn't want to change the base code and only make my changes to children BP as base class changes I plan to leave to you in future updates, but making this change did resolve the logger errors. I'd consider this a bug report but I can't create a repeatable test easily. All I did was migrate the Sci_Fi project over to root and renamed everything and then this popped up. Sorry I can't be more help with recreating the error; it did take a long time migrating the files and resetting up references so it may be hard for you to recreate.

Comment

Ok, I found another task I want to implement.

I want to move movement to be like an ability. Movement is tied more into Grid manager then it is to the unit/skill however, yet with the introduction of sprint and abilities, I feel like it would be better suited to use movement as an ability and I am finding its a bit more in depth then just adding a new ability.

I think I have an idea how to accomplish this: with Spawn Movement Tiles in Grid Manager Sci_Fi, as I see there is an array (Index Can Move to Array) and select statement that decides whether to spawn yellow or blue tiles, but what I want is to make sprinting and movement two separate skills.

Do you have any pointers for me to accomplish this? Is automatic movement tied too deeply for me to just change in the _Sci_Fi child BP?

Goals:

Make movement not automatic - it's a skill to use
                                Disable sprinting after movement - don't automatically show yellow tiles, leave this to logic of clicking sprint as a second ability instead of choosing to attack or use another spell

Its been a few months since I purchased this toolkit but I am finally digging into making changes, so I appreciate the guidance as I learn both unreal and the nuances of the toolkit.
                                Last edited by Curiosichi; 06-04-2017, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X